Doubt Cancelled CBS Katherine Heigl Dule Hill

Doubt Cancelled After 2 Episodes, to Be Replaced by Beyond Borders

CBS is removing all Doubt from its primetime lineup.

The Katherine Heigl legal drama has been yanked off the schedule after just two airings, TVLine has learned. In its place, CBS will air Season 2 of Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders, beginning Wednesday, March 8 at 10/9c. (Next Wednesday, a Bull rerun will air in Doubt‘s former timeslot.)

With an all-star cast including Heigl, Laverne Cox and Dule Hill, Doubt was one of the higher-profile shows debuting this midseason. But its Feb. 16 premiere only drew 5.3 million total viewers and a 0.8 rating, placing below timeslot predecessor Code Black‘s sophomore average. (TVLine readers gave the legal sudser’s launch an average grade of “C+.”)

In Week 2, it dropped 25 percent, to 4 mil and a 0.6. Beyond Borders, meanwhile, averaged a solid 6 million viewers and around a 1.0 rating with its last few outings last spring.

Heigl is still best known for her six seasons as Dr. Izzie Stevens on the ABC medical hit Grey’s Anatomy, but Doubt is her second failed network series in less than three years: NBC’s State of Affairs, which starred Heigl as a CIA analyst in charge of assembling the President’s daily briefing, lasted just 13 episodes during the 2014-15 season.

Will you miss Doubt? Or are you more excited to see Beyond Borders return? Drop your thoughts in a comment below.

1. kmw says:

That was fast. it just started too low to go on but I thought they might have given it acouple of more weeks

• Annie Sisk says:

Right? I’m disappointed that Dule Hill won’t be on my screen but hopefully that absence won’t last long.

• Klarm says:

No one wants to watch K.H. – she has a bad reputation, she may want to eat some crow and go back to Greys. Her movies are straight to DVD, her shows don’t last. She’s succeeded at being a supporting actress, she should start over again.

• Jamie says:

Unfortunately for Heigl’s career, Shonda Rhimes won’t be putting her back on Grey’s. You can’t talk smack about your boss in public and then expect them to ever want to work with you again. It’s the same reason we won’t see her in another Judd Apatow feature.

• Lucifer says:

I’m pretty sure Rhimes would taker her back if only just to kill off Izzy. Rhimes even suggested she wanted to kill of Sara Ramirez’s character when she found out Sara was not returning this season after filming her departure. She doesn’t like letting actors that scorn her to have their characters quietly go off into the sunset, she likes having them viciously killed off in degrading ways.

• Donna says:

I think she’s great!

• Whitney W says:

I like her

• Kathie says:

I have nothing against KH. She was good on Grey’s and she was great in One for the Money. I just
          didn’t like the premise of the detective falling for the suspect.
          I do like Beyond Borders. I had been wondering if it would be back. At least they’re replacing
          it with something I’ll watch.

• herman1959 says:

I know, they couldn’t even give it 5 episodes? This is CBS…dang.

• Hope Patterson says:

I think they should have given the show a chance. Give them a couple of weeks or months. I was really looking forward to seeing how the one case turned out. Yes I love all my criminal mind shows, but it just bites that they didn’t let a new show have a chance!

• Caryl Sprague says:

Well, I really liked the new TV show “Doubt.” I think Kathryn is an excellent actress! I don’t think two episodes is enough for people to give it a fair chance. I hope u will reconsider & give it more time.

• I am so tired of networks canceling tv shows after a view episodes. As a viewer we need to get to know the characters and plot. Maybe try airing something for a season before you cancel it.

I was surprised Criminal minds beyond borders was coming back to be honest. Its an ok show but plot lines are predictable. I was also under the impression it had been canceled. Strange how things happen. Maybe they should try Doubt as a summmer tv show. Very disappointed Doubt got canceled.

• Raquel says:

I agree with you. How can you pull the plug on a show after 2 episodes? Give it closer before pulling the plug.

• DJean says:

I agree! I thought the show was interesting and a new perspective from a legal drama. I am disappointed and wish CBs would give it a chance.

2. rebecca says:

Yikes. Kinda starting to feel bad for Heigl.

• NolaNola says:

Never!!!!

• Courtney says:

You shouldn’t. She did this to herself…thinking she was so much better than the rest of the cast on Grey’s. She never should have done what she did. She got too high in the head and this is the result. You reap what you sew.

• abz says:

You people seriously need a life. You’re acting like this woman has personally victimized you. This happened several years ago now. She made professional mistakes. You act like you’re all perfect and saintly and never made mistakes in your life. It’s human nature. We are flawed beings. Anyone with eyes can see that her career has clearly been affected by it and is not the same as it once was. She’s clearly trying to move on and learning from her mistakes and trying not to repeat them. Networks and film still keep hiring her and actors still work with her, so clearly they can recognize that she is very talented and she was one of the best parts of Grey’s Anatomy’s first few seasons. What’s preventing you from moving on?

• Lizzie says:

I’m with Courtney and this is def a case of you reap what you sew. I mean even if you don’t personally feel victimized by her you don’t favor her so you tend not to have an interest in her and what she does. She set that up for herself when she talked smack about Shonda Rhimes, Judd Apatow and whoever else. I know she is trying to get her career back but she maybe shouldn’t lead a show. Its obvious that audience won’t tune in for her. She has to take a back seat and show that she doesn’t mind not being the star of something but playing the lesser role.

• abz says:

It’s still ridiculous to me. This happened YEARS ago now!! Is she never allowed to move on from this? I know if it were me, I would want to be able to move on from it at some point.
            The networks clearly think she’s talented if they keep hiring her as a lead (NBC and CBS in this case). I don’t think she should have to play a lesser role. If she auditions like all the other actors and she fits the character, why not? She’s a talented actress and has the ability to lead the show, it’s just some people can’t let go and move on. In the end, these people only cause the other talented actors to suffer by losing out on working jobs (e.g. Dule Hill) because they just want to continue to criticize the actress instead of whether or not the show itself is good or has potential.

• vegwell says:

You reap what you sow…as in plant. The writing was bad. I don’t know if Heigl is the kiss of death or not, but I couldn’t even finish watching episode 2 because the dialogue was painful to listen to. I was watching for Laverne Cox, but she was totally wasted there.

• Jim says:

Of course she can move on, but she has to do her mea culpa tour first. She hasn’t done that. She has to make the public like her again, and she hasn’t even acknowledged that she needs to try.

• Bigdede says:

I agree she shouldn’t lead a show. She should play a lesser role. It’s painfully obvious that no one really likes her anymore although I still watch 27 Dresses!

• Temperance says:

What did Heigl sew (sic)? She’s great.

• Me says:

Yes! Absolutely!

• Carmen Willey says:

Did you ever quit a job to go to another job. Why can’t she?

• Lucifer says:

Shonda Rhimes and Judd Apatow both deserve much harsher criticism than what Heigl threw their way. Both have over-inflated egos because for some reason, their mediocre work has been very profitable.

• Pedro says:

They keep hiring her because they are less than smart. She’s clearly not bankable.

• Temperance says:

She’s great. State of Affairs wasn’t the best fit because the role was so narrow and not at all what we’d expect Heigl to do. Doubt was just horribly written and badly promoted.

• Phillip says:

I agree with you, abz. Hopefully she can find a show that’ll stick. I actually really like her. She’s a great actress.

• Michelle says:

It has pain you ooo😅😅
          First! She set out to ruine others career it wasn’t juts Shanda, there were other actors.

Heigl is a terrible over rated actress. Let’s not forget greys anatomy wasn’t the only show she bad mouth. She did same with Seth Rogan, I remember her bashing poor Seth on Letterman, to the point where he asked her to dial down.

• Temperance says:

Um, that never happened. Shonda was terrible to the guy that played George. And that move was a disgusting, sexist piece of junk. I literally walked out of the theater and I haven’t watched another Apatow film since.

• Temperance says:

Agreed. Heigl was very good in State of Affairs – but it was a very grim role for many of her previous fans to adjust to. She’s great… Doubt was just not a great show and the promos and pilot were weak.

• Lee says:

I think she is a good actress also. I wish they would at least show the res the taped episodes. just to see what happened to the dr. two episodes isn’t enough any longer to decide to pull a show. think what would have happened to friends, cheers, sienfeld.
            they were all in the very bottom of the ratings their first season. Get some new writers
            and flesh out the show. All the actors are great

• I really like Doubt. I am sad that it was not given a fair chance.

• Carmen Willey says:

I agree. But I don’t agree that she has make a lot of mistakes. The writing has a lot to do with it and the people who yank shows too early. And time slots.

• MangoMagic says:

Thank you. One of the few sensible comments here. With the way people are so quick to spew vitriol about her you’d think she eats babies for breakfast. She was young and foolish. Most of Hollywood is and she got caught for being a jerk. She’s obviously trying to move past it. Mind you I don’t like her either, but folks around here are so quick and eager to play judge/jury/executioner with strangers lol.

• delorb says:

She and her momager pulled the same stunt on State of Affairs. The behind the scenes gossip (that made it onto several media pages) was that she was throwing her weight around making demands and it turned several people off. Enough for them to leak things to the press. But regardless of all that, there are too many actors with baggage who audiences don’t want to see. Why does she get chance after chance when they don’t?

• abz says:

Really? What evidence do you have of this diva like behaviour during the State of Affairs show production? I don’t recall hearing a single thing about her behavior on that set And you yourself have just stated that it was gossip.
            Honestly, I think the majority of hatred she continues to get is because of comments like this. People see it and then just run wild.

• iHeart says:

in other words she Caruso’d herself

• liame says:

Um….It’s “sow”. I don’t think it had any thing to do with with Heigl. If you follow twitter, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

• dan says:

The thing about her is, her hubris was just too great. She kept doing it, slapping the people who made her a success. It was really glaring.

She is a good actress, though. I would watch her in another series, but I really hope she has learned something from her horrible behavior.

• Carmen Willey says:

I dislike people who attack and just assume, like you. She has done well in the movies and many long time actors on TV decide to stop the grind of TV and go on to try movies. There was never one thing said from the network that she was high and mighty on Grey’s.\

• Superwoman says:

Ouch! Me too…this makes me feel so bad for her, this is not a good look.

• el says:

me too. I know I’m on my own, but I like her. and I really liked a lot of the cast. every show should be given more then 2 episodes.

• C Hartline says:

I agree and I think CBS got too big for their britches! Cancelled a show after 2 episodes. Come on! Give it a chance. I liked the whole cast and they were just warming up and CBS didn’t like the numbers so they pulled the plug. It all boils down to $$$$

• Temperance says:

Heigl is great. It’s the vehicles that aren’t the best fit. In this case, it just wasn’t a good show or convincing premise (nothing to do with Heigl).

• Carmen Willey says:

Don’t, otherwise you have to feel bad about a lot of actors–after years, quitting shows to pursue other things.

• Anna says:

I like her. I’m sorry about Shonda but I don’t think she should get to wield so much power against anyone. She totally screwed over Patrick Dempsey. He didn’t know he was going to be killed off. He had another year on his contract. And yet she keeps others on that stink. If she uses her power for revenge, that says a lot about her and she must not be a very nice person. I don’t care how talented she is!

3. padraicjacob says:

Are they going to at least put all the episodes on cbs access?

4. Joseph Finlay says:

How could CBS so stupid?? I found that to be one of the most entertaining shows I can find on any channel. On believable!

5. PH says:

Yikes. I would say I felt bad for Dule and Laverne but they at least have Ballers and OITNB, respectively.

6. Michael says:

Yikes and CBS always tries to lets its shows find its way.

7. CarolH says:

I really liked it…2 airings is not enough!! No wonder the majority of people don’t want to watch regular TV anymore!!

8. GuessWhat says:

She’s TV poison now. Ratings were awful — below Code Black. So I repeat, RENEW CODE BLACK!

9. Di says:

Very disappointed. Really liked the show and felt it could do well. I’m a Katherine fan! I am excited about beyond borders but from what I understood it was slated to return March 1 although I couldn’t find it up on my t.v. In Canada. So overall I’m sad :(

10. Vanna says:

Again, they have to stop trying to force Katherine Heigl on us.

11. Brian says:

How embarrassing.

12. Tracy288 says:

Wow – Kathryn Heigl, the kiss of death.

13. shadester says:

Its because they cast her in it. Thats why i didnt watch,

14. Liza says:

Absolutely ridiculous – so tired of new shows getting shut down way too early in the process! If you like a show, there is hardly any time to spread the word before they yank it off the air. I am sick and tired of getting invested in a show and never getting any closure! It’s about time to cancel the satellite and just watch Netflix, etc.

• pAloma says:

Better that they cancel it after two episodes rather than waiting until,you really get invested and you are stuck wondering g if the guy bleeding out on the floor lived.

15. pAloma says:

Crappy show. Even so that was fast.

16. mrmcgee says:

That was very fast especially in today’s tv climate where it seems shows are getting a little more time.

17. Jami says:

OMG are you kidding.

18. Sue H. says:

I thought it was a good show. Really didn’t give it a chance. Good thing NBC didn’t yank Cheers or Friends after two episodes because of poor ratings.

19. CA Bolton says:

They can put it on Saturdays, along with Ransom.

20. Nerdbot says:

Damn! I love Katherine Heigl but she just can’t catch a break. Now I wonder how Sarah Shahi’s Drew would have done, I think Doubt was picked up instead of that show.

21. Dnalgo says:

Turned it off 10 minutes into the first episode.

22. Sher says:

Good Lord, not even a chance for character development?? Seems like everything is geared towards the 18-49 age group not the 50+ I thought it actually held promise. Disappointed in CBS…again!

23. Dude says:

The KHo curse lives on!!! Too bad for Laverne and Dule, though.

24. C. A. Smith says:

I will definitely miss “Doubt” and it had great potential. I’ve had more than enough of Criminal Minds and gave it up sometime back. Not interest in it, whichever side of the border it is.

25. MonkeyMom says:

I hope Dule Hill and Steven Pasquale find something new soon! Love them both. I don’t think folks are ever going to take to Katherine Heigl again, she screwed the pooch with attitude during Grey’s Anatomy!

26. Jared says:

It’s a shame that the sole reason I didn’t watch this show was because of Katherine Heigl. Clearly network TV is not for her.

• Vi says:

I watched despite Katherine Heigl, but I wasn’t impressed. I liked her in Greys before her attitude but she wasn’t very good in this, my opinion. I won’t miss it, but I did enjoy Dule Hill.

27. analog weather says:

WTF, They could’ve at least shown all episodes.

28. Dan says:

Not defending a show I didn’t or wouldn’t see in any way, but… a “5.3 million total viewers and a 0.8 rating” would be pretty welcome in another timeslot, wouldn’t it?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Even if it “held steady” at its Week 2 numbers, it’d be the lowest rated, least watched real* drama on CBS.

* Ransom not included

29. Robin says:

Wow. I am not a fan of Katherine’s, but I gave it a chance and liked it. Networks rarely give viewers a chance to find a show. Most of the hit TV shows of the past decades would never have survived this broadcast TV environment.

• Allie says:

Very true. It is really sad, I am often scared to try a new show because of this. That’s why I often wait to see of it gets renewed or watch it on Netflix or Hulu later.

30. Leanne says:

They didn’t even give it a chance. It would have been better giving it a chance then running reruns of an older show that didn’t make it

31. Lysh says:

Wednesday is Arrow and The 100 for me and I forgot this show was on after all that. I wanted to catch it for Dule and Laverne. I guess I don’t have to try to catch up now.

• rayme says:

Arrow and The 100 were my first priority also. I had it on the DVR for viewing today. Sorry for KH — I’ve liked her since she did Roswell, never saw Grey’s Anatomy. Love Dule Hill. Hope they show the remaining eps on Saturdays.

32. Ben says:

I liked it so far. Damn

33. analog weather says:

Ok question, what was the last network show that didn’t get it’s produced episodes burned off on a different date? I’m still holding out that they show the remaining 11 (!!!!) episodes.

34. sarah smith says:

I was watching.. why waste so much money?

35. Kathy Holbrook says:

Cancelled at my house after just one episode….

• dan says:

I made it through the first episode and 10 minutes of the second. Then I decided that I didn’t care about any of the characters. The show was missing an edge. This may sound weird, but I found it too sunny and bright for a legal drama. And the music was too upbeat. No edge, no intensity, no interest.

36. Effing ridiculous. Who didn’t blow who? CBS is so maniacal – somebody MUST have pissed somebody else OFF. That show had LEGS and beyond!

37. Pat Klassy says:

CBS is sure having trouble with new shows and the way they switch time periods on shows they aren’t that loyal to their programs really indicates what they think of certain shows.

38. M says:

We tried to watch. Really didn’t like the first episode, but wanted to because of the quality cast. Stopped a few minutes into episode 2. Glad we didn’t keep going.

39. jimmyu says:

That smoldering crater you see before you is the wreckage of Katherine Heigl’s career.

40. Rick says:

She also made negative comments about “Knocked Up”. It’s hard to recover when you publicly bash the shows/movies you star in.

41. Katherine Heigl has really dug her own grave. Grey’s Anatomy made her and she thought she was so much better than the rest of the cast and since then most of what she has done has been awful. It’s a shame because the first few years of Grey’s had a talented cast and they worked well together (on screen that is). State of Affairs was awful and now Doubt was even worse.

• Maria says:

Greys anatomy did not make her hello , the Disney movie wishing on a star and Roswell and many more . She’s amazing !!!!!

• Allie says:

Roswell is still one of my favorite shows ever! She was great in that, maybe she should try a sci-fi show again.

• Jamie says:

She was in other projects before, but Grey’s was her big break. Most people didn’t know who she was before then. A Disney movie for a bunch of kids and a show that had only half the viewers of this latest cancelled show aren’t what “made” her. But Grey’s and Knocked Up did, and she dissed her bosses on both projects. She screwed herself by biting the hands that feed.

42. Haz says:

I think many who have commented on this post forget that CBS still gets pretty good ratings in terms of live viewings. I will say I was going to check it out and completely forgot it was on. I will say with Heigls reputation along with Wednesday being as crowded as it is I am sort of surprised they launched it in that time slot.

43. Susan D Powell says:

I don’t think 2 episodes is enough to warrant cancelling…the characters were being developed and I was getting hooked. Criminal minds is ok….put them both on!

44. TW says:

Dule Hill deserves a much better show.

45. Kathy Bergeron says:

I actually LIKED this so– as usual- they don’t even give it half a chance.😡

46. scg says:

Wow, I recorded the two of them and went to watch them a few days ago, but I couldn’t even make it to the first commercial break. Guess I wasn’t the only one. I don’t know why I couldn’t get into it, I just didn’t.

47. Robert45 says:

I hate to sound like I’m happy that someone is out of a job but I am hopeful that this will seal Season 3 of Code Black.

48. teeveenerd says:

I was really enjoying this show. It remind me of a David E Kelley show from the 90s. I liked the cast (even Heigl) and had just watched the second episode today on CBS Access. In fact, I signed up for it today to watch both this show and The Good Fight. Now, I probably won’t continue with CBS Access after the free trial is up.

• KLS says:

If CBS doesn’t decide to burn off Doubt during the summer, I would think that they would make the remaining episodes available on All Access soon.