Project Runway Junior Finale Winner

Project Runway: Junior Finale: Did the Right Designer Win Season 2?

Though I’ve yet to fully recover from Tieler’s elimination, I have to admit that the four designers remaining atop Thursday’s Project Runway: Junior finale deserved to be there — and the proof was in their (mostly) stunning collections.

All four entered the finale with confidence, but as Tim Gunn slithered fabulously around the workroom to offer his final critiques, some of that confidence began to dwindle. In fact, Izzy was pretty much the only designer who emerged unscathed; Tim loved her “polished” collection, which was a callback of sorts to her famously well-received athleisure dress, and even said he could see the pieces on Tilda Swinton. (Izzy gets a million bonus points from me for responding, “I love Tilda Swinton! She’s my favorite… cook? Is she on the Food Network?”)

OK, time to break down the four collections…

IZZY | As I mentioned earlier, Izzy’s collection was basically a varied reimagining of her best work, but with a “elegant” twist. (For the record, she emphatically shot down Kelly Osborne’s attempt at labeling it “athleisure wear,” even though it totally was.) Hey, at least guest judge Olivia Holt emphatically declared that she’d wear one of Izzy’s pieces “to the MTV Music Awards or, like, the VMAs.” That’s… something.

CHELSEA | Is anyone surprised that Chelsea’s collection was inspired by a video game about an android who gradually becomes more human as he communes with nature? It was the craziest, most Chels-iest thing I’ve ever heard, and the judges seemed to share in my excitement. (In other news, does anyone know the name of the video game that inspired Chelsea? I want to play it!)

CHRIS | If you told me that half of Chris’ pieces were ghost-designed by Rene — you remember Mr. “Bondage Chic,” don’t you? — I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised (especially those that Tim accurately described as “cagey”). It felt like Chris was presenting clothes from two different collections, and this inconsistency did not go unnoticed by the judges. Despite declaring that his collection contained the two best pieces in the entire finale, they conceded that the overall vibe felt more like Florida than New York, which Chris professed to be his inspiration.

HAWWAA | The standout pieces from Hawwaa’s circus-themed collection may have been enough to take down Tieler, but they didn’t fare quite as well against the other designers. As Aya Kanai pointed out in her judgment, Hawwaa’s attempt at creating a fun, youthful vibe veered into something that “looks like it’s actually for babies.”

Once the final judgments were dished out, the remaining designers were sent packing in the following order:
4. Izzy, who assured us that this is “just the beginning” of her journey.
3. Hawwaa, who left feeling “just so #blessed” to have made it this far.
2. And Chris, who dropped the mic with: “I’m still better than everyone else besides Chelsea. … I look better in silver, anyway.”

And that left Chelsea as the winner of Project Runway: Junior Season 2!

OK, time to weigh in: Which former contestants did you enjoy seeing again? (A’kai’s shady stares were my favorite!) And are you glad Chelsea won it all? Cast your vote below, then drop a comment with your rationale.

1. Angel says:

Chris had such BEAUTIFUL, AMAZING, BRILLIANT garments. I would say 95% of the time the show votes as I do. This time, I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED that my choice, Chris, did NOT Win. You go Chris, you were ROBBED.

2. . says:

Hawwaa was nothing but a complete joke the whole season and did not deserve to be in the finale. The only reason why she was even there was because she’s black and muslim. clearly she was the token they had to put through to not be accused of being racist.

3. Diane Samples says:

I think Chris was the clear winner.

4. G says:

They totally showered positivity on Hawwaa’s collection, which I loved, so I thought she would be the clear winner.

5. J says:

I think the top two were basically tied. Too bad there had to be a winner. Hawwaa should have not even been in the top 6 let alone top 4.

6. URi says:

Hawaa i thought should have been the runner up but good show :#

7. URi says:

Hawaa i thought should have been the winner or at least runner up, but good show everyone

8. Jacob says:

Hawaa was robbed, pretty sad but chelsea did have a nice collection

9. Sandra minaker says:

Chris deserved to win. Tailoring was impeccable and has been all season! May not have been “new york”, but was still very cohesive, wearable and beautiful! If not him then chelsea was a good choice.

10. Mamalor says:

I honestly think Tieler should have won!! He was the best and should’ve been there. He had great outfits. Hawwaas I couldn’t stand most of them. And chris omg needs an attitude check. Lol

11. Liz Casucci says:

I’m very disappointed that Tieler didn’t make the finale. Wish he was there

12. Diane Braxton says:

Chelsea was consistent all season and was not afraid of color. I even liked what her mother was wearing at the runway show. Chris was inventive and always gave you something you never saw before. All the finalists were very good in their visualization and brought something fresh.

13. Nick says:

Apparently I have no idea what fashion is because this entire season I’ve hated Chelsea’s looks.. That strange grey and green neoprene jumpsuit/overalls with the flooded legs or he spy assassin dress that was just a shift dress with chiffon sleeves that honestly looked like a cheap party store costume or the “pocket” strapless dress thing with the gold lining.. The judges loved it and I’m over here slamming my head into a wall. And lets not forget about the atrocious light dress she made but luckily she had immunity from the previous challenge. Or her hideous black and white half dress half skirt cat ear thing.. So sad she won, even Chris would have been better. I still think Cartier got shafted cause her look was a little safe. She should’ve been in the top.

14. Mikiga says:

Liked both Chelsea’s and Chris’ collections. Glad that Chelsea won. Hawaa should’ve gone home long ago. Only liked one thing she made the entire season. The rest looked like clothes for a kid’s party. Tieler should’ve been in the finals. Thought his collection would have more oomph to it, especially after what he came up with earlier in the show. Such a pity!

15. LaDonna says:

Was anyone besides me expecting Alyssa Milano to announce that they were inviting the winner to compete in Project Runway: All Stars? I mean, the poor kid would be completely in over their head, but it would make great TV.

16. The comment about Hawwaa’s collection and babies was about ONE look. She came in 3rd and not 4th, The judges were happy she showed. They liked and were impressed with her collection. They were on board with it. I think the author completely misrepresented Hawwaa.

17. Laura says:

Chris was robbed! I could see myself wearing all of his pieces. Chelsea’s was only ok and that leather sleeve dress was awful! She shouldn’t of won for that alone and what about cohesion? She had none and most of her designs I’ve seen already yawn!

18. Natalie says:

Definitely want to know the video game that inspired Chelsea, although I think it may be Detroit: Becoming Human that has been years in the making.

19. Yoko says:

That Hawwaa was in the finale four was nonsense. When it gets down to the best she should not have been included. Good luck to her, but it was just ludicrous that her clown clothes were shown on a runway. I was pulling for a male to win this season and hoped it would be down to Tieler and Chris but when that option went away I figured Chelsea would rise to the top.

20. alexakira69 says:

I loved Chelsea’s ability to swiftly overcome problematic issues during the challenges and come up with amazing & dynamic designs…such resilience is rare…so she is truly a winner.

But I felt Chris won the runway show because all of his pieces were terrific, plus that negative top with the pouch was a true original that wiped out all of the other competing designs. Chris will be snapped up by a leading design house immediately I am sure.

Hawwaa, to me, represents the unknown… that genius which is unfamiliar now and as a result we dislike, but makes us think, and often, in the future we see, understand and desire… Once she gets a few more years of experience under her belt she will be a force to be reckoned with.

Izzy, I believe needs to examine her fabric type to structure of garment choices…she has a tendency to use too thick/heavy of a fabric and try to have both tailoring and fluidity in her garments…fluidity works better with light/thinner fabrics…but with experience, she too will become a great designer.

21. April says:

Did anyone think it was pretty funny when Chelsea’s mom got on her about time management on the runway in front of the judges after she had just won? Moms are funny :)

22. Sharon says:

I can’t believe that Chris and Hawaa were even in it. The only thing that made Chris’s designs look halfway decent where the prints. He had lots of basic looking things if you ask me. With Hawaa’s I feel like you never knew what you were going to get and a lot of times her stuff was kind of jakey looking. Tieler was the strongest designer overall the entire season I’m not sure what happened to him there at the end but he clearly had basic work and should’ve done much better maybe it was just the pressure got to him.