Kai Returns to The Vampire Diaries: Chris Wood Talks Regaining His Head, Chances of a Reunion With Bonnie

When we last saw Malachai Parker in The Vampire Diaries‘ sixth season finale, he was… oh, why don’t I just let this gif remind you:

kai-head

So, how is it that Kai’s head was very much intact when he resurfaced in the final moments of last week’s episode? Unfortunately, “there’s no great moment where you watch his head get stitched back onto his shoulders,” Chris Wood tells TVLine about his character’s villainous appearance this Friday (The CW, 8/7c).

“Kai’s back on Earth through some sort of loophole that happened when they rang hell’s bell — but he’s not as fully alive as he might seem” Wood explains. “He arrives in Mystic Falls fresh out of hell, so he’s still a little bit on fire, and he decides to order some food. As he’s eating it, he realizes he can’t taste anything, which is when he realizes he’s not actually alive and there, that there’s a force pulling him back to hell. It’s something the episode will explain, but it’s not as cut and dry as it seems.”

Now for the question on at least a few of your minds: Will Friday’s episode feature a “BonKai” reunion?

“Bonnie wants nothing to do with Kai, she doesn’t want to see him,” Wood says, thus shooting down all hope that the prison world pals might mend fences. “When she’s alerted of his presence, her response is that of wanting to create as much distance as possible between them — and for very good reasons. We’ll have to keep our fingers crossed and hope we get some magic.”

We’ll have more scoop from Wood on Friday morning, but for now, drop a comment with your hopes for Kai’s return below.

1. Sandy says:

I hope for a giant team up, including Bonnie, against Cade. I’d like to see Kai help Enzo out of hell, giving Bonnie her happy ending. That would be my perfect BonKai moment.

2. Jane says:

I’m a KC fan so not a stranger to shipping bad boy/sorta good girl pairings. But still Bonkai is too creepy, maybe because Kai barely had any humanity (of his own). But I enjoy Kai as a villain, very charismatic

• Kai did have humanity of his own. The feelings he felt after the merge were HIS own feelings. He wasnt feeling Lukes feelings. Luke didnt care about Bonnie, yet Kai almost died so Bonnie can be saved in 6×13. That wasnt Luke, that was Kai. Luke was also Gay. And Kai only showed interest in Bonnie. So again Kai had his own humanity. Sociopathy is a mental disorder. Bonkai couldve been an epic witch couple.

• Jane says:

First, don’t get your panties in a bunch. Second, your comment about Luke being gay is ridiculous, it has nothing to do with what I wrote in my post. Third, I don’t ship Bonnie with a man who wiped out his whole family with the exception of twins he didn’t know about. But I don’t mind people shipping it, there are many toxic pairs that I’ve shipped myself.

3. Deion says:

I always thought it was a missed opportunity to kill Kai as after the gemini merge, he was contrite about what he had done to Bonnie. They should have played his trying to redeem himself out. But I think Kai will get what he wants, but give it up to get Enzo back to Bonnie as an act of contrition.

4. Bonkai is what everyone wanted. They deserved better, Kai is so much more than this one note villain they turned him into. This dynamite witch pairing between Bonnie and Kai was squandered. It be nice if they at least team up against Cade. #BonkaiForever

5. Kai says:

The best moments of TVD always involved Bonnie and Kai so it would be rather neat to see them together again. They were magic.

6. Guest says:

Earth 2 Mon-El is a lot more interesting that earth’s one.

7. Guest says:

Earth 2 Mon-El is a lot more interesting than earth’s 1 Mon-El.

8. thea says:

I re-watched TVD at season 6 because of Chris Wood’s Kai Parker. Back then I was hoping that Bonnie could bring some kinda human in Kai. It’s a thrill to see him back with much charisma as a villain (or the good guy ;-)). But I must say; Containment brought the best of Chris Wood. Hope to see him in another ‘heavy’ role. Love you, Jake Riley!

• safistikaytdlayd says:

I loved Chris Wood in Containment!!! It was so nice to see a different side of him. I liked him as Kai but he really annoyed me at times! Great actor! I hope as Kai he can help bring Enzo back to Bonnie!!!

9. Tam says:

I really hope that they do interact, like he said it’s “magic.” The show really dropped gold by killing him off and suddenly stopping his redemption. Bonnie and Kai’s relationship, whatever that could have been, would have been so great to watch!

10. Sharon says:

Was just wandering i saw a little tid bit of elenas return some ppl are saying that she will be like she was in season 1 now that she is human again surel t the sleeping spell hasnt made her forget about damon and the love they have goe each other will be intersresting to find out what happens i hope elena returns too damon

• Jane says:

Most likely. She confessed her love to Damon as human at the end of S06. Plus she’s only in 1 episode, no time to turn it into Stelena again. Now what worries me is that big death in the last episode

11. Mark McGillivray says:

I am curious to what happened to Joshaya Liv and rest of the Parker family

12. ammielake says:

I’m not a Kai fan my only hope is he wakes Elena and Bonnie is ok too!