Post Mortems
greys anatomy season 13

Grey's Anatomy's Marika Dominczyk Dissects That 'Hot' Arizona-Eliza Scene

The following story contains spoilers about this week’s Grey’s Anatomy. Proceed at your own peril.

We can’t be sure but we think Arizona and Eliza just went to first base without actually going to first base.

In Thursday’s Grey’s Anatomy, Arizona (literally) peeked under her new colleague’s hood and (also, literally) grabbed hold of her horn wire — and it was arguably the pair’s most intimate moment to date. Even Eliza’s portrayer, Marika Dominczyk, admits with a laugh that her onscreen crush’s sudden swing into grease-monkey territory was “kind of hot,” adding that she and co-star Jessica Capshaw “laughed so much about that. I said to her, ‘Wow, since when did you know how to work on cars?’ You find out something new every day on this show.”

All joking aside, the duo’s latest parking-lot encounter represented something of a turning point. “Arizona extended a little bit of an olive branch to Eliza, and she didn’t have to do that,” Dominczyk says. “It was a nice little crack-the-door-open moment.”

The scene came at the end of a rollercoaster day for Minnick that initially showcased a lighter, gentler side of the steely doc (that Stephanie hug!) before tragedy struck in the operating room when she lost her first young patient. “When I read [the script] I was so blown away,” the actress recalls. “And I was so thankful at the opportunity to peel the layers back and show a more vulnerable side to her.”

As Dominczyk notes, “It’s the first time you realize, ‘Oh, she’s a person,’ instead of being this hard ass who just bosses everybody around.”

Back to the Arizona-Eliza of it all, the Grey’s newbie teases that their nascent relationship will remain “complicated,” adding, “There are lots of peaks and valleys coming.”

1. kn1231 says:

I’m still not buying this love interest for Arizona. I know opposites are suppose to attract but MInnick is so cocky and overbearing, which is too far away from Arizona’s perky and upbeat attitude.

2. Kennedy says:

I like them! That being said, glad that they are showing a human side to Minnick. You can’t keep having her being the way she has been and especially us to root for her and Arizona. You have to show that she does crack and that she does have a heart. I really like this pairing and like their moment tonight. I hope they keep this pairing up

3. pikabugs says:

Callie and Arizona is the best. I really miss their team up. I’m hoping Callie would come back to the next season.

• Jami says:

Callie is never coming back. Callie chose Penny (mousy) over Arizona. The Calzona is officially over. Thank God. Callie was selfish.

4. Allegra says:

This character is not good at all. And a crappy teacher! She didn’t know how to prep a patient in the OR and then she left Stephanie high and dry to go cry in a corner instead of going to talk to the parents that her negligent phase 2 teaching method killed. How is she even qualified?

5. pAloma says:

I don’t think there is any chemistry between them. Or between Minnick and anybody on the cast

6. tk says:

Great episode, the human side to minnick awesome, Arizona Awesome, I like this pairing. I feel bad for the actresses both Jessica capshaw and Marika. Calzona fans are doing their best to ruin it for them both… Sara Ramirez left the show, have some respect for the other actors and the characters that they play. Merder fans had Derek die and are letting meredith slowly move on how about some of that for Arizona/JCap.

7. T. says:

Great individual characters and great pairing. I like the direction they’re going. Approved !

8. Jessica says:

Has no one else noticed how similar Eliza and Arizona look? It’s a little unnerving. If not for them having almost the same face, I wouldn’t mind the pairing.