Doubt Ratings Premiere

Ratings: Doubt Debuts Below Code Black With a 0.8, Blindspot Hits Lows

CBS’ Doubt debuted on Wednesday night to 5.3 million total viewers and a 0.8 rating (per finals), placing below time slot predecessor Code Black‘s season premiere (6.4 mil/1.2), finale (6.1 mil/0.9) and sophomore average (6 mil/1.0).

It also landed below the final rating for Katherine Heigl’s State of Affairs (4.5 mil/1.0), which almost exactly two years ago led out of the previous Celeb Apprentice finale. TVLine readers gave the legal sudser’s launch an average grade of “C+.”

Opening the Eye’s night, Hunted (5.4 mil/1.2) was steady, while Criminal Minds‘ “course changer” (7.3 mil/1.3) ticked up 10 percent and a tenth from last week’s series lows.

Elsewhere…

THE CW | Arrow (1.66 mil/0.6) and The 100 (1.05 mil/0.4) each added a handful of eyeballs while flat in the demo.

ABC | Goldbergs (6.5 mil/1.8), Speechless (5.6 mil/1.6) and black-ish (5.3 mil/1.5) were steady, Match Game (3.5 mil/0.9) dipped a tenth and Modern Family (6.9 mil/2.0)  slipped 13 percent.

NBC | Bubble drama Blindspot (4.07 mil/0.8) slipped 12 percent and two tenths to new series lows. SVU (6 mil/1.4) also fell two tenths, while Chicago PD (6.7 mil/1.3) was steady.

FOX | Lethal Weapon (6.4 mil/1.4) rose a tenth, while Star (4.1 mil/1.2) ticked down.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Dave says:

Oh well. I quite enjoyed Doubt but I guess I can remove it from my DVR now. A 0.8 will get it pulled sooner rather than later so not gonna waste the space. Bummed.

2. pickles says:

Some people are just tired of TV and Hollywood. All ratings are down from last week and from last year.

3. Steve says:

I guess networks refuse to understand that many viewers dislike Katherine Heigl.

• Juliet says:

Wow. Man she made a huge mistake leaving Greys, she could have done both tv and movies.

• dan says:

I’ve never been a fan or a hater, but I thought she was fine in Doubt. The pilot was pleasant enough that I gave it a B. It needs to be a little edgier to maintain interest as a legal drama (did anybody have any “doubt” about the outcome of Laverne Cox’s case?). I may watch it a few more times to see if it gets more interesting. Otherwise, the low ratings may be good news for a third season of Code Black which definitely got edgier and more interesting this year.

• Jim says:

Well, now it’s pretty much confirmed.

• Cas says:

Doubtful. I love her personally. I just knew it would flop (time slot and premise of the show) so did not bother to waste time. Also, I barely saw any promos for it. I think she just needs to find the right show.

4. Chris says:

Damn thought it would premier bad but not that bad no chance it gets another season. Heigl is tv show poison.

5. Wrstlgirl says:

I’ll admit I’m kind of happy about this because I want Code Black to be renewed for another season.

• Hazel says:

My thought exactly. I, too, hope for a Code Black renewal.

• mooshki says:

Same here! I’m sad more people haven’t tuned in since the writing has improved so much this year. I also miss the cast who left, but I was surprised at how much I like this season, and Rob Lowe’s character and acting. But I still mostly tune in for the brilliance and chemistry of Marcia & Luis.

• Jennifer says:

Honestly, I didn’t miss the cast members who left. I was sad when I heard they were going, but bringing in Rob Lowe was great and at least for me, they weren’t missed. I happen to like the chemistry between Harry Ford (Angus) and Benjamin Hollingsworth (Mario) as well as Marcia and Luis.

6. steven says:

AND MAY WE PRESENT, ANOTHER HEIGL FLOP!!!!!!!!!

7. Brock Hard says:

There is no DOUBT there will be more kitty litter commercials in Heigl’s future.

8. Simon says:

I don’t think the low ratings for Doubt have anything to do with Heigl. People absolutely love Haley Atwell but nobody tuned in for her new show. Network TV just ain’t where it’s at right now. Look at all the other new shows that premiered on network tv this far, all very low debuts.

• Chris says:

Hayley atwells show still premiered better than heigls, so it’s safe to assume since they premiered in the same season that heigl is the factor in the ratings being lower than atwells show

• Katherine215 says:

Didn’t Conviction premiere at a 1.0? And don’t midseason series premieres typically have lower ratings than fall series premieres? They’re basically even in my mind. And I think Conviction probably had more promotions than Doubt did (I’m only one person, of course, but I saw zero promos for Doubt).

9. kmw says:

Good for Lethal Weapon a steady performer for FOX and even Star is doing ok Both should be back next season. ABC did fine but then go to CBS wow. Good that CM went up but even I didn’t think Doubt would premiere that bad. Yikes. And NBC didn’t seem to have a good night either

10. Rachel says:

Why won’t fox frakkin renew lethal weapon already?!?!

11. The Beach says:

It’s the Heigl Curse.

12. Luis Roman says:

Please, someone, anyone, rescue Dule Hill!

13. I love having Dule Hill on my tv, but for me, Katherine Heigl is unwatchable. I only hope this bodes well for a Code Black renewal! Best medical drama currently on the air.

Please get Dule another show!!!

14. David Hess says:

Maybe Katharine Heigl should try joining the Dynasty reboot on The CW, a 0.8 would be a hit on that network, just ask Supergirl.

15. Kevin says:

Looks like Doubt is going to be another failed series for Katherine Heigl (remember State of Affairs on NBC?).

16. herman1959 says:

Hopefully the writers are working on a satisfying end to Blindspot. I stopped watching at the end of the first season, but I might return to see them tie up the mystery of the tattoos.

17. Danny says:

If the rumors are true, CBS needs to promote the awesome two-year renewal of “The Big Bang Theory,” and they need to strategize and rebuild Thursdays. “Mom and “Life in Pieces” are solid performers, but they need something buzzy in there. TBBT won’t last forever; also, given the flops that are “Pure Genius” and “Training Day,” why not move “Code Black” to Thursdays at 10? Very little competition from “The Blacklist” (a niche drama) and “How to Get Away with Murder” (too serialized and uneven). Remember, this is the slot where “ER” thrived – I know television is a different world now, but even 7-8 million viewers here would qualify “Code Black” as more of a success.
    Unsurprising about “Doubt.” First, there is a lackluster lead-in with the fading-fast “Criminal Minds”; and there’s also the resistance to Katherine Heighl. “State of Affairs” flopped not-too-long-ago, so I’m not sure why CBS greenlit this drama. Unfortunately, it’s a blow for diversity, and the malcontent will bemoan the failure of a network series with a transgender regular. In truth, it’s more reflective of CBS’s misstep with a unlikable leading lady.

18. Tracy288 says:

I watched it – it intrigued me enough to watch another.

19. Jennifer says:

Katherine Heigl as lead = Kiss of Death. Will delete from DVR. Does this bode well for Code Black renewal????

20. Mike says:

Is it Heigl? Is her reputation so poor that people just won’t watch? It was an excellent episode. I could see this one sticking if people actually gave it a chance.

21. Richard says:

I watched it to give it a shot. I like many of the actors. The problem is the CBS “look” and feel. I kinda what to give it a couple more episodes but my biggest problem was watching actors acting rather than characters in a story.

22. Max says:

The generic title of Doubt didn’t help either.

23. jimmyu says:

I “Doubt” that this gets a second season.

24. Pedro says:

Most of the times I don’t believe White Privilege is the thing people say it is, but, come on. It is true at least this once. Heigl stars in flop pilots and series year after year, after failing films year after year, and she still get jobs? WHY?

25. sweetrupturedlight says:

I’m starting to think that the only way Heigl can successfully work is if she ISNT the lead and rather part of an ensemble. As unfortunate as it is, audiences just arent interested in her, irrespective of her talent. Its a pity.

26. Iakovos says:

DOUBT was not bad. I guess the series will find its footing after the wobbly first pilot outing. I hope CBS gives it a chance. The story seemed basic but the cast is attractive and watchable and interesting. I want something in the sorts feresher category like DOUBT than a rewrite of established series in new locales… CSI, NCIS, CRIMINAL MINDS…

27. chuckiechk says:

the ratings for Doubt may have just saved Code Black for another season

28. George H. says:

Heigl turned a lot of people off from her because of the antics she did on Grey’s Anatomy. A lot of people don’t want to get invested in a show where an actor/actress has a history of throwing tantrums and quitting a show.

29. Torchwood68 says:

Rock on Lethal Weapon

30. Wyatt Clough says:

Saw it was a new show starting then saw “Katie Heigle”. NOPE NO THANKS. Never looked back.

31. Wendy says:

Wasn’t KaDee Strickland the original lead for this show? I know it wasn’t Heigl. Maybe the show would have had a better debut with a less polarizing lead.

32. analog says:

I actually liked Doubt. I hope they at least air all episodes if ever they get cancelled.

33. CurlyGurly says:

Well I didn’t get to see Criminal Mind’s “Game Changer” because there was a damn basketball game on!! I was looking forward to seeing it too.

34. J R says:

katherine heigl has a hit, in her new “doubt” show. Love, it AAA+

35. J R says:

Great show, a “Heigl” hit!!!!!