This Is Us Recap Season 1 Episode 15

This Is Us Recap: Brothers Gotta Hug

Need to catch up? Check out the previous This Is Us recap here.

Grab that heart-shaped box of chocolates and prepare to feed your feelings, because the Valentine’s Day episode of This Is Us is an emotional eater’s feast.

An overwhelmed Randall is not, as some of you posited last week, exhibiting the early symptoms of multiple sclerosis. He is, however, getting crushed by an increasingly competitive workplace and the certainty that his biological father’s death is rapidly approaching.

By the end of the episode, poor Randall is so overcome that he’s rendered immobile, crying on his office floor until a member of the family drops everything — on a very important night — to be with him.

Elsewhere in the episode, Jack and Rebecca have a big fight on V-Day, and Kate is kicked out of fat camp. Read on for the highlights of “Jack Pearson’s Son.”

This Is Us Recap Season 1 Episode 15TOUR TRAUMA | On a Valentine’s Day in the past, Rebecca is prepping for leaving on tour and worrying that Jack and the kids will suffer in her absence. And when they learn that Kevin and Sophie are having sex, and that Randall is having a panic attack about a school assignment, she nearly backs out of the tour. Jack reassures her that they’ll all be fine, but it’s clear that he’s not psyched about his wife taking off for multiple weeks.

At her gig that night, Jack doesn’t like the flirty, onstage vibe Rebecca has with bandleader Ben. And when Ben, in casual conversation, drops that he and Rebecca used to date, Jack is livid: He didn’t know. So Jack cancels their dinner plans and gives her the silent treatment until they get home, where he confronts her. Rebecca counters that she was with Ben “for two months when I was 19” and that she didn’t tell him because “you get crazy and jealous, and I didn’t want you sitting at home, spinning out about something that didn’t mean anything.”

Still angry, Jack says he doesn’t want her going on tour and admits that he only acted supportive because “I was trying to be a good guy.” Rebecca’s like, oh, the gloves are off now? OK. “I needed to having something for myself, without you getting in the way,” she counters. Jack sadly replies that he never thought of himself as being in her way, then he leaves to have a sad bacon cheeseburger (their planned meal) by himself. And when his drink comes, it’s troubling — given his past — how much the liquor seems to comfort him.

PUMP THE BRAKES | Like Duke predicted, Kate goes to his cabin… to tell him that she’s nothing like him: “Do I have issues? Yes. But deep down, I’m awesome.” Atta girl! Unfortunately, we learn that the reason he’s allowed to stay on staff despite his extreme d-baggery is that his parents own the retreat center. And after her tirade, Kate is out.

So she shows up at Toby’s hotel room, and he’s less than excited to see her. After she apologizes and they make nice, they realize that they’re engaged, yet the know very little about each other. So he proposes a “Toby and Kate deep dive” in which they ask and answer questions about each other. Information gleaned during this exercise: They’re both dog people, he wants kids (and, given her pleased reaction to him saying so, I’m assuming she does, too), and he’s struggled with depression since high school.

But when Toby presses Kate for details about her dad’s death, she wants to tell him… but she just can’t. “I’m just not quite there yet. I mean, it’s been blocked for a really long time,” she says tearfully. So they leave it that she’ll share more when she feels comfortable, but they also later decide — well, Toby decides and Kate agrees — that they should put off the wedding a while as they’re getting to know each other better. “I think that the woman that I marry should be able to talk to me about anything,” he explains, and while I agree with the sentiment, something about the way he says “the woman that I marry” and not “you” doesn’t sit right with me.

LET’S HOPE THERE’S AN UNDERSTUDY | On the morning of his opening night in The Back of an Egg, Kevin has a nightmare that Katie Couric calls him a hack during an interview. He wakes up when Sophie calls to say that she’s sorry she can’t come to the performance because of work. During the conversation, they agree that they’re “cautiously dating,” and they both seem really happy about it. She tells him to break a leg.

Kevin then spends all day whipping himself into a nervous frenzy, which doesn’t get any better when Sloane informs him that the New York Times theater critic will be in the crowd. A quick stop at Randall’s office doesn’t help, either, and Kev eventually finds himself on his mom’s doorstep.

Rebecca isn’t home, so Miguel invites his stepson in for a cup of coffee and a minor freakout. Their awkward conversation eases a little when Miguel calms Kev’s nerves by reminding him that Jack was always the calm guy everyone wanted around in a crisis, and “sometimes you remind me so much of him that the hair on my arms stands up.” He adds that’s why it hurts so much that Kevin doesn’t like him. But anyway, “You are Jack Pearson’s son.”

And that’s what sticks in Kevin’s head when Randall calls him right before the show to say that he’s not going to make it. Randall sounds so odd, so unlike himself, that Kevin decides he needs to be like Jack and go make sure everything is OK. Admirable, right? Unfortunately, Kevin has this epiphany literally as he is about to walk on stage to start the play. The lights come up, Sloane says her first line, and… there’s no one there to answer her. In the audience, Rebecca, Miguel, Toby and Kate are confused.

This Is Us Recap Season 1 Episode 15RANDALL AT ROCK BOTTOM | This would be the perfect time to check in with Randall. Oh look! He’s falling apart at the seams. He’s not sleeping. He’s struggling to hold onto his accounts at work. He’s snapping at the kids. And when Beth’s mother falls and breaks her hip, sending Beth hurrying to her side, Randall begins the slow-motion car crash that is his day.

At the office, Randall’s prep for a very important call with an even more important account is cut short when the meeting time is moved up. Then William locks his hospice nurse out of the house, necessitating a trip home so Randall can beg his father to cooperate with the hired help. William apologizes, lamenting that his body is failing him and he doesn’t know how much longer he’ll be able to hold on this way.

So by the time Randall speeds back to work for the call, he’s got nothing in the tank. He completely freezes up at the meeting. Sanjay has to step in and literally speak for him as Randall hastily wipes tears off his face. Randall spends the rest of the night crying in his office, and that’s where Kevin finds him, slumped against the wall. Though a flashback shows us a time in the siblings’ adolescence when Kev ignored his brother’s panicked pain, in the present, he sits down next to Randall and pulls him into an embrace as Randall cries even harder.

1. Nette D. Williams says:

This is the worst I’ve cried from this show. Tonight’s episode broke me down horribly. Kate not being able to talk about Jack’s death. Randall’s breakdown. Kevin coming to his aide. AND JACK. OMG. Still no answers on how he passes away, bit I’m terrified to know now. ThE ending of tonight’s episode made me seriously ugly cry.

• Tera Emerick says:

0me too! I hate that I have to wait until next Tuesday! !!

• Nette D. Williams says:

I’m so sad for William, Randall, Kate & although I’m sad Kevin missed his opening night……I’m proud that he ran to be with his brother. His character started off so self centered. I’m really starting to like Kevin now. Also, I never gave Miguel a chance once I knew him & Rebecca were together, but tonight…..I liked him a teeny tiny bit after what he said to Kevin. Just a tiny bit.lol

• Ann says:

I still didn’t like him! Especially with him hitting on the ladies like that right after his divorce. He moves fast. I bet he moved fast on Rebecca right after Jack died too.

• Kristen says:

Yes. That Kevin ran from his dream to take care of Randall did me in. So much deep, soul level crying. If you know someone who would do the same for you, you are truly blessed.

• Yes! I lost it when Kevin pulls Randall into that hug…just thinking about it makes me feel all the feels!

• Bambe A Marlin says:

I cried like a baby and glad I got Puffs soft Kleenex. Sorry for Kevin’s opening night but he was there for his brother, Randall makes my heart break sometimes!!

• JoAnn says:

does anyone know WHAT exactly Randall said to Kev on phone right before he hung up?? driving me crazy. rewound over and over, cant figure it out. Sounds like he said “OK,” then something else. maybe just OK THEN but not sure.

2. newsdee says:

This show makes me cry every other week….tonight was no exception when Kevin ran to help his brother.

3. Nette D. Williams says:

This is the worst I’ve cried from this show. Tonight’s episode broke me down horribly. Kate not being able to talk about Jack’s death. Randall’s breakdown. Kevin coming to his aide. AND JACK. OMG. Still no answers on how he passes away, but I’m terrified to know now! The ending of tonight’s episode made me seriously ugly cry.

4. Leah says:

I was so glad Kate didn’t tell Toby how her Dad died. I’m not ready. I need to prepare. And then there’s William about to die and poor Randall who is quickly losing it. This show is killing me!

5. Marlene says:

So upset for RandallI can hardly watch, I had to keep changing the chanel. Worst yet is that Kevin missed his opening night. THAT MADE ME SICK. It was to much. As for Rebecca I want very disappointed in her

• Shelley says:

@Marlene: How did Rebecca disappoint you? I don’t understand; Jack wasn’t in the mood to listen to her; all he wanted to talk about was Rebecca and her 2 months dating with Ben that didn’t mean anything and he was very jealous and upset that Becca was going on tour with her supposedly ex-boyfriend.

• CurlyGurly says:

Are you serious, Shelley??? Rebecca didn’t tell her husband that the man she was spending 3 nights a week with was an ex, and you don’t see that as an issue? And when she told Jack that she wanted something of her own “without him getting in the way”, tore me up. Seriously?? This man is a SUPER husband and father. He deserves better. And I have a feeling his drinking is going to lead to his early death. :-(

• Brock says:

I think he was drink driving & Kate was in the car – or I think he was coming to pick her up while drunk (and she blames herself for his death)

• fiberlicious says:

I agree with every word of this. Last week she said he was the best husband on the planet (and he is!) and this week she wanted something where he didn’t get in her way? I felt the same knife in my gut that Jack felt when she said that.

• Otis says:

While I feel Jack overreacted, he does have a point. When you see your wife flirting on stage with a guy she once dated (even for “only 2 months”) especially when that is something she never told you, it can make you wonder what is going on. Remember, she spends a lot of time with him due to practices and performances. Would you accept the excuse that your significant other knew how you would react and that is the reason he didn’t tell you something like that about someone he is spending time with now? Not telling him about it at the start makes it look worse later, no matter the reason why.

6. Jamie says:

I was straight up screaming “KEVIN!!!” at my television when I realized where he was going. That was such an insanely beautiful brotherly moment.
    Also, Randall is freaking breaking my heart (big Randall and teenage Randall). I just want to hug him.

7. K.Smith says:

Am I the only one that still doesn`t like Miguel that much after this episode?

• Nette D. Williams says:

I still don’t like him, but he almost made me like him a tiny bit after what he said to Kevin. I hate that he is married to his best friend’s wife. Ugh But I bet anything he helped her through Jack’s death or depending on how Jack died, maybe he gave them his blessing on his death bed. I’m just throwing out guesses of course. I just love Jack so much.lol Hate that Miguel is with Rebecca. But I think in upcoming episodes, we’re going to see an ugly dark side of Jack. One that resembles his father. Ugh

• Wrstlgirl says:

If Rebecca turns to Miguel before Jack dies it will ruin the show for me.

• skyebright8 says:

Yeah I can see issues with drinking but I don’t think he’ll cruel or violent like his father

• Shelley says:

I don’t like being married to Rebecca either. There’s something about him that turns Kevin off. He was always in love with Rebecca but he couldn’t do anything about it until Jack died. I don’t think He would’ve disrespected Jack by putting the moves on his “best friend’s wife.

• saraelizabethheller says:

Randall seems to have issues with him too. Rewatch Pilgrim Rick and watch the scenes betweenBig Ed and the brothers.

• What if he killed Jack so as to be with her but of course, neither she nor Randall, Kate, and Kevin are aware of that? That thought has floated around my mind a bit, but I don’t think he’d go that far.

• Gale M Ruf says:

How do we know how long Miguel and Rebecca have been married? For all we know it was years after Jack died. Rebecca annoys me at times, but clearly she grieved for a long time (she’s still wearing the crescent moon necklace). Anyway, although I’m not a fan of Miguel’s, I thought what he said to Kevin was a stand up thing to do.

• Ann says:

Well, we know that Kevin, Randall, and Kate are 35 yrs old. Kevin and Sophie divorced, I think 12 yrs. ago. Sophie asked how Rebecca and Miguel were doing, so that means Rebecca and Miguel have been together at LEAST 12 years. If Jack died when the kids were 15/16/17, it means there was a period of 6 years maximum before Rebecca and Miguel were married, or together. Let’s say Miguel was eager to put the move on his best friend’s wife and gave her two years to grieve…that means they’ve been together nearly as long as Jack and Rebecca were together. Sad, but true. I don’t like Miguel.

• Steven says:

When Miguel said being around Kevin makes it feel like he’s with his friend again I yelled at the tv “Oh you don’t feel him when you’re BANGING HIS WIFE?!”

• Wrstlgirl says:

I don’t have a problem with Miguel and Rebecca getting together well after Jack’s death. It’s actually not that uncommon for the friend to be there for their best friends wife during their grief. To help them with the children, etc. But a significant amount of time has to pass for a romance to develop and be respectful.

• K.Smith says:

Same! lol :)

• Jenn says:

I hate him more every week. It’s pretty telling that he comes between Rebecca and her kids. I have a sick feeling they hooked up way too soon after the death.

• Wrstlgirl says:

I hated my step mother for years and she didn’t do anything wrong. I was just bitter. We’ll have to wait and see how this plays out but I really hope they don’t tarnish Rebecca and Jack’s marriage. But this is television so …..

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Well, with Jack picking up a drink (and it probably won’t be just one), they seem to be leading us to an ugly end for him. Drunk driving accident? A way out there possibility that he gets home drunk, they fight and Rebecca kills him (either intentionally or accidentally)? I just get the feeling that Jack’s death isn’t going to be as simple as a heart attack.

As for Miguel, I think his relationship and eventual marriage to Rebecca comes out of Jack’s death, not before it.

8. Wrstlgirl says:

Isn’t this right around the time when Jack dies? It’s been confirmed that the kids were teenagers and they’re 15/16 in this episode. Kind of makes him having that drink a bit suspect.

9. christopher bee says:

Waterworks and ugly cries. This Show kills me and i´m glad to be transported into real emotions. 30somethings Olin, Busfield, i know what you are doing and it´s brillant.

10. Juliet says:

Am I the only one who was bothered by Kevin’s act at the end. I mean it was a beautiful brotherly gesture but really? What about the play? The audience? Slone? The NYT?? What happens with all that. Maybe it was just his way of escaping his stage fright.
    Also I was terrified while Jack was pouring down that drink that we would see him driving in the next scene. So glad that didn’t happen – yet.

• Leah says:

Yea, kind of agree. He could have gone to Randall after the play. Or maybe sent Kate if he was worried about him. But yes it was a beautiful scene.

• Lauren says:

I think it was a telling scene, throughout the entire show, we’ve seen how randall lacks a relationship with his brother and they have never been close, even though Randall has always wanted to be close to Kevin… Kevin leaving everything to be there for his brother… that was everything to me, siblings have such a strong bond and I’m happy that the show has given Kevin some more depth, not everything is about chasing pretty girls and nice hotel rooms… He was there for his brother without even being asked.

• Hine Robb says:

I am with you on that. Surely going to see him afterwards would still have been a nice gesture, without ruining all of his effort, money, reputation, Sloane’s effort, time, reputation etc. etc. Come on people!!

• Let’s say it played out like that. Let’s say Kevin ignored the feeling that Randall needed him or just a shoulder to cry on, went forward with his part in the play and Randall, overwhelmed by everything happening and feeling like he couldn’t take it anymore, committed suicide. Let’s also say Kevin was the one to find him after the play. How do you think he’d feel about ignoring his feelings and not rushing to his brother’s side in the latter’s time of need?

I know that’s rather drastic but if you ask me, it’s still a valid question.

• Allie says:

He was doing what his dad would have done. Being selfless and putting family first. It was a moment of growth for Kevin. He is typically the one who relies on his family. I was extremely proud of him. Great moment !

• Lauren says:

completely agree! He is the “baby” it seems like most episodes, so it was nice to see the most independent sibling have a “Less than” moment and have his brother by his side

• Jenn says:

I’m pretty sure that is going to be the death scene. Especially, after how Kate described the death. Like there is a lot to the story. Maybe they all blame themselves a little bit.

• Erin B says:

I agree with you. I feel like he should have called Kate to handle it. His career & money were all staked on this not to mention letting Sloane down. I mean, he did the right thing, but I wish he could have thought of a way to send help but perform too.

I am very glad Kate only went to Duke’s cabin to tell him off. I didn’t want her to be a cheater. I personally like Toby, & I know a lot of viewers don’t, but I think we can all agree that Duke is a turd. He is an emotional abuser, & I’m so glad she didn’t let him drag her down.

• Lisa Echerd says:

Yes, I know we are supposed to cheer for Kevin finally being their for Randall but I thought about all the other people he was letting down. This basically tanked Slone’s career along with his. I don’t think it was stage fright but I think he could have sent word for his mother or Kate to go to Randall immediately. He knew they were in the audience and they would have cared for Randall. He might not have given his best performance yet Sloan would have likely gotten a good review.

• Beth says:

Surely there was an understudy for Kevin’s part? The play would’ve went on. But Kevin could have told Sloane, “I have an emergency–get the understudy”. Or he could have sent Rebecca or Kate. I also didn’t understand why, earlier at his office, Randall didn’t send Kevin to Randall’s house to check on William when the nurse called. Kevin had just told him that he had a couple of hours to kill before the play.

• mrmcgee says:

I thought the same thing, but I get it. He was already in that zone where one more thing comes up and you just think “I’ll take care of it.” Your mind is barely on auto at that point and you can think of alternatives. Been there.

• Ktina says:

I was bothered by this too. Sure, it was a great thing that he did for his brother BUT he could have done that 2 hours later after the play was over. I think that was a bit corny and unrealistic.

• CIP says:

Although the scene made for a nice tv moment, I felt it was very unrealistic. I thought it was irresponsible for him to leave the play.

• Kasey Minnis says:

To quote my mom about Kevin ditching out on the play, “Oh, give me a break!” I get that they were going for the idea that he was being selfless like his father, but actually it’s really self-indulgent to screw over 200 paying ticket holders and your co-workers in order to do something that you could have asked your family – who were sitting 50 feet away – to do. It would’ve been plenty selfless enough to give up on his family being there for him, to allow his family to be there for his brother. This was over the top and ruined what was otherwise a really great episode for me.

• You guys missed the point. The fact that Kevin ran to Randall side shows the growth of his character and how much Randall and Kevin’s relationship has grown. Before Kevin and Randall never had a great relationship in fact Kevin never acknowledged Randall as his brother. When randall was struggling with his anxiety before Kevin did nothing. For him to leave shows he is coming full circle. Also remember what the point of this was y wa to show that Kevin is like his father, he did exactly what Jack would have e done. If Kevin would have waited after the show that is putting himself first and Jack would have been disappointed if Kevin sent Kate again Kevin is putting himself first,but the fact that Kevin left his dreams for Randall, Kevin is finally the brother that Randall needed. Sure there are people who will not be happy but randll always wanted a brother he finally got his brother

• Rob says:

I think it will fare well for Kevin. He may have to deal with the initial repercussions of leaving, but it is going to make him a stronger man. I agree that people are missing the point if they feel he should have wasted. He obviously loves his brother, and finally wants to be the brother that he never had been when they were growing up. Before you lose the whole purpose of why he left, go back and watch the show where Randall and Kevin finally address the “wall” between them. (remember fighting in the street, talking in the car and watching tv together in the basement?) Another very moving episode.

• Eran says:

Completely agree with your mum, Kasey. When I realised what Kevin was doing, my first thought was, “urgh, for f’s sake!” And I beg to differ about missing the point. A breakthrough moment for a previously very self-centred character can be beautiful without suspending disbelief from the nearest cliff. And you know what? I would get it and applaud it if Randall had a history of depression or a suicide attempt in his past – an event big enough to have sounded a loud enough alarm bell in Kevin’s head for him to quite literally commit professional suicide and rush over there,
        I would not have bat an eyelid if this had been on Jane the Virgin (which I love!) but a show this hyper realistic I hold to a higher realism and authenticity standard and tonight it fell short. How in the hell is he ever going to bounce back from that?
        Applaud the writers for where they were going with this and their intentions but the execution gets a fail from me. Otherwise, brilliant episode.

• mary says:

Really? With the anguish on Randall’s face when he was a teen, it would make me run to him now. Unless you know someone who goes through this it might be hard to understand. That person is this close to saying goodbye to everyone. That’s why you go to him now, not later.

• Natalie says:

I can honestly say if my sister called me like that. I don’t care what I’m doing or where I am I would absolutely drop everything and go help. The play and everything else will survive. It’s not like Randall called him and told him to go check out a movie. Something was clearly wrong. Maybe it’s a sibling thing. I would 1000% do the same thing. Maybe call for my understudy first though

• Jamie says:

I agree, Natalie. If either of my brothers were having a break down, I would absolutely drop everything as well to be by their side, especially if they called *me* and not someone else. But yeah, hopefully Kevin sent the understudy on before he left…

• Jim Sullivan says:

Personally I was more upset with Randall. He has to call Kevin 2 minutes before he goes on stage to tell him he can’t make it? Why put that into Kevin’s mind right then? He should not have called at all. He should have known how important this moment was to Kevin.

11. Kevin says:

That Randall moment was a real heartbreaker.

• Bambe A Marlin says:

Oh yes, he had tremors and everything. Very intelligent but super sensitive. Anxiety is a real phenomenon for many people and I think it’s good This is Us is Addressing that issue. God, I just want to hug them all!

12. Joel Maurice says:

Does anyone else think jack kills himself? Especially after the question Kate had at the ready for Toby and how she couldn’t talk about it? I really hope not but today it seemed like those were the crumbs

• Nick says:

There is no way Jack kills himself. He obviously just loves his family too much. My guess is that Kate feels she played a role in his death … possibly caught in a situation where she’s being teased at a party or in gets in trouble and calls her Dad to pick her up and he gets in a car accident on the way there. I hope his death isn’t alcohol related but seeing him take that drink tonight seems to be a sign of things to come.

• Bspink says:

Agree… I thought the same thing.
      Maybe Kate finds him.

13. Eileen says:

This show is so very well done. I hope the writers continue to maintain their high standards across the next two seasons.

14. Esposito says:

When will we find out how the family ended up leaving Pittsburgh? Seems they are still there when kids are teens. Was it after Jack’s death?

Wonder if Jack’s drinking plays a part in his death? But Kate is suffering some serious mental health issues if she talk about it. See a therapist girl!

15. Francine Nault says:

I cannot find the right words to express how much I love this show. Last night’s episode had me in tears even after the show was over I could not stop crying. I can’t imagine the show without Jack I like him so much he is a super husband and father and I dread to find out what happened to him and not to see him again on the show. The fact that Kate could not talk about her father passing my heart went out to her. The talk between Miguel and Kevin was so useful in helping Kevin making something of himself. But came the scene with Randall and Kevin which really got to me, I sat down next to them and let all my stress released and cried and cried just staring at the wall. This is the Best Show I hope it never ends.

16. Hine Robb says:

I get that Kevin was doing the good brotherly thing, but dude, on opening freaking night? How about a couple of hours later.

17. LynnS says:

(Kimberly: Twice near the end of your recap, which I enjoyed, you mix up William’s name for Randall.)
    While I cried, as usual, count me among the people who were actually touched and yet a little bit annoyed by Kevin’s decision at the end. He had a lot of other people counting on him for that opening night, and wouldn’t it have been pretty easy to send Kate to check on Randall? He could have gone himself just a few hours later. Oh well, they chose the much more dramatic move, but I dread seeing what happens to Kevin’s career now.

18. Molly says:

I really hope those don’t end up being Rebecca’s last words to Jack.

• Jenn says:

Of course they were the last words. I just wonder how many of the kids are involved in whatever accident kills him, as obviously Kate is. Whatever she did, still affects her today.

• Catt says:

I also had the feeling that tonight could be the end for Jack … maybe a drunk driving accident. Rebecca mentioned “16 years with the kids”, so we know from other clues that he dies around that time.

19. Greg L. says:

Kevin’s life is his play, and how he is perceived as an actor. He gave up his life for his family. Just like Jack would have done — and we’re likely soon to find out, did.

It’s another setup for Jack sacrificing his life for his family, the guilt they are left with, and how they cope. Some cannot cope and self-sabotage by eating or cheating on their wife. Some internalize it until their real father is found. Some turn to a friend.

How Jack died is unknown to most, but my guess is that it was a conscious decision and not a plane crash or sudden illness. Just my guess based on the character development and the future of the show continuing after the reveal.

20. vinny says:

I was worried that this would be the episode that they showed Jack die. Seeing the flashback of Randall crying had me concerned that it was happening – only to find it was a nervous break down. These misdirections involving Kevin have to stop. It’s way too unpredictable!

21. Dawn Averett says:

3 years ago I lost my only child in a car accident. He was 21. I say that because of have 1 sibling a brother. He came to me immediately he held me and cried with me and he slept outside my door in the hallway on the hard wooden floor. That’s what siblings do for each other. I just watched last night’s episode on DVR and I’m still weeping over the fact that Kevin rushes to Randall’s side. For me it reminds me of my real life experience and how important, supportive and meaningful sibling relationships are. This show has tugged at my heart strings every episode but this one is by far my favorite. I’m excited to see what happens to this family in the future and what ever the outcome I don’t fear being disappointed because this show has taken me places that has helped me revisit &remember so many experiences and times in my life and I have nothing but gratitude for the creator, writers and cast.

• Cathy c says:

My brother’s wife died. My brother and i are not close. We never have been. But I got in my car with no change of clothes or anything and drive 8 hours to be with him to night it happened. I had to call work the next day to explain why I had just left without a word.

22. Not for nothing, but wouldn’t Kate have a hell of a lawsuit against that fat camp? At minimum, she would need all her money back, but the reality is, the owner’s son made unwanted sexual advances at someone, and when rebuked, they kicked her out. That’s kind of illegal.

The show glossed over that.

Kevin blowing off the play was career suicide, and probably the most defining moment of his life since we the audience know his motivation.

Kate’s issues with Jack’s death made me think that she may have been involved somehow or has some major guilt over it beyond normal grieving.

Did they have a massive fight right before? Was he in a car accident while on the phone with her? Or did that fight cause a heart attack?

I was actually thinking that Jack was going to die in this episode since he was alone, upset, they talked about his death, and the kids were the right age. I’m hoping it’s NOT a heart attack though since Jack seems a bit young for that.

Given the average life expectancy of people, it would make more sense that Jack dies in an accident.

23. Tennisnsun says:

I think Kevin redeemed himself by rushing off stage to be with his brother. Yes, he could have been typical Kevin who rushed around all day trying to find someone to bolster his ego ahead of his debut or send Kate in to steady the situation as usual or gone to Randall later to save the play. That might have been the mature adult response, but that is not who Kevin was at the moment. .I was happy that he acknowledged his brother’s pain and wanted to help him instead of himself.

24. Rob says:

Hey, here’s something to prepare for…Do you think maybe the episode where William passes away will be the same episode where it flashes back to Jack’s death? And, I wonder how “involved” was Kate in her father’s death. Was she there? Did she try to save him? Wow…heavy, but one of the greatest shows I have seen in long while. The acting is superb.

• fiberlicious says:

I yelled at my TV: “If you kill off Jack AND William in the same episode, I will fry you with my laser death glare!”

• Suzy says:

That’s exactly what I think. They will parallel William and Jack’s deaths in the same episode. Probably the season finale. Get your tissues ready!

25. RichieS says:

I hope Kevin and Sophie can make it work this time but I wonder why the writers didn’t have her at the play so she could be backstage with him giving him support and admiring his decision.

26. Normandy says:

Unless Kevin takes Randall to his show and they start an hour late, Kevin’s career as an actor is finished because no one will want to hire someone who can’t be counted on.

27. Karen says:

Love love this show its the best!!!!!!

28. Marsha says:

Love the show keep it going.

29. Ben says:

Best episode yet! So many emotions!

30. LoveTV says:

This may be nothing, but with all the talk about Jack’s pending death I thought it was an interesting comment that Randall made to William that he didn’t want him to die when no one was looking or not around…something along those lines. It made me wonder if he was just concerned for William being at home alone and possibly dying, or if it also had a double meaning of how Jack died. IDK maybe I’m making too much out of a passing statement but thought it was interesting.

• Kailani says:

My guess is he drinks too much, and (where they walking distance from the restaurant?)…he stumbles out of the restaurant, into the street, and gets run over.

No matter how it happens, going to be Kleenex box worthy.

31. Larc says:

Kevin rushing to Randall’s side would have been a very good thing, but not under those conditions. It would have been great if he hadn’t skipped out on a serious obligation to do it. Others were depending on him. He may have comforted Randall, but the way he went about doing it was brazenly inconsiderate and irresponsible.

32. Cate says:

Kevin is still a butthead. Helping his brother is great! You know what’s also great? Making sure his sister/some other person who is close to Randall checks up on him, while Kevin does his freaking job and doesn’t let down everybody else who worked on this play.

33. Broadwayfan says:

I think of Jack dying, and in my mind, the heart of the family was lost.
    When all the effort he puts into being 100% what each child needs is ripped away I think they are all left floundering.
    My heart is breaking over the kids losing Jack and we haven’t even had to deal with that yet.
    I need more tissues.
    P. S. I say again; Jack gives more to Rebecca than she gives him. There’s no way to measure love…but, in my judgement, Jack wins.

34. Wanda says:

I love kate she’s my kind of life on the grab. Live Love