The Vampire Diaries Recap

TVD Recap: Scathed by the Bell

News of Enzo’s death quickly made the rounds atop Friday’s Vampire Diaries, allowing everyone to grieve in their own special way: Bonnie wept, Damon drank, and Stefan… got arrested?

Yes, because it wasn’t enough for Human Stefan to be emotionally punished for his latest Ripper spree, he was also legally punished. Thankfully, Elle Woods Caroline swooped in to free him from police custody, then helped him save a single mother he left bleeding out in the woods. (I feel like Caroline Forbes is either the most forgiving person in the world, or she’s just in crazy denial about Stefan’s issues. Also, can we talk about how the series’ penultimate episode is called “We’re Planning a June Wedding”? I love it.)

Even after all of that, though, Mr. Hero Hair™ wasn’t quite out of the woods just yet. You see, Stefan becoming a human may have freed him from Cade’s contract, but his humanity also made him a tasty little treat for the hungry devil. And that’s where Damon came in: If he could deliver the Maxwell journal to his (old) boss, Cade would agree not to go all Swiper on Stefan’s soul.

But first, a history lesson (told via flashbacks while Matty Blue Eyes bled out on an operating table): Remember those dead witches Bonnie borrowed power from all those seasons ago? It turns out they were burned by hellfire released by the bell, sacrificing themselves to save the town. (Noble!) What’s more, the secret to stopping Cade is in the journal… which Damon totally made off with. And Cade threw into the fireplace. D’oh!

Fortunately, Damon remembered Sybil telling him about a secret back-up weapon (because of course there’s a secret back-up weapon) hidden deep within the vault. But just when he and Alaric were ready to hit the booze in celebration, along came… Kai?! (Confession: I let out an audible gasp when Chris Wood appeared on screen. Like, we already knew he’s in next week’s episode, but still.)

Speaking of surprises, Bonnie’s mom dropped in this week to help her daughter say goodbye to Enzo. And when I say “help,” I mean she straight-up lit Enzo’s body on fire because he was trying to reach out to Bonnie. “We need to close that door,” she told her daughter. “Whatever darkness you reached into is reaching back for you!”

(Am I the only one assuming that everyone is going to die at this point?!)

OK, enough from me: What’s your take on this week’s episode? Were you surprised by Kai’s return? And who do you think kidnapped Stefan? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. Stacey says:

Yay Kai! And I think Care is more in denial about his issues, if she can forgive him so easily. And I just saw the snynopsis of 8×15, let’s say it’s more of a trap than anything else, lol.

• Sharon says:

I actually clapped when I saw Kai, I was so happy! Next week looks great! I feel like whenever Caroline is around Stefan her personality just drops. 8X15…lol, I saw it too.

• Stacey says:

Oh my goodness, me too! Yes, I completely agree about Caroline. She was stellar last week and this week she was back to being an airhead, for lack of a better term. And yes, lol about 8×15!!

• Lisa says:

Damon has been taking up for and cleaning up stefan messes even when they were human. He took abuse from their father to keep stefan from getting hurt and now he still gives up for stefan. He’s made to feel guilty when other’s get a free pass. Stefan baas been the ripper of Monterey, he gets better, Lexi tells him it would be better for stefan if he didn’t go, he let’s stefan think he stood him up….but hey he’d just been experimentedited on for 10 years and no brother looking..no harm…it’s just Damon..only l little brothers get looked for! Only Enzo gets to hang out withow heritecs,only Enzo gets to kidnap Carolyn and torture her, go after elana,go on a siren killing speed then walk up to the group and smile, say hi and that’s it. Only Carolyn does her humanity thing and just has to say sorry,elana..sorry….Damon is treated different!

• Jane says:

Caroline is keeping it super cool, another death she takes with “sh*t happens” attitude. “It’s not you, it’s Cade.” She’s obsessed with her and Stefan’s future, and Stefan’s “you can’t just forget about all that and go cake tasting” comment described Caroline S08 just right.

Also it’s funny how in one episode Stefan became human and immediately was given a chance to save his last victim who’s miraculously survived. It’s like, “please viewers, remember he’s actually good deep inside.” But is it me, or Damon was more shattered by his doings when he got his humanity back. Stefan was more sad than shocked, “okey, what my ripper self has done this time?”

“We’re planning a June wedding” is a writers’ joke. It was a joke in S01 and it still is in S08.

• Lynette says:

Look like a woman kidnapped Stefan, nail varnish purple top maybe Lexi?Viki, Jenna

• Sharon says:

But Kai is cool, despite his fondness for murder and destruction? Extraneous character who should have stayed gone.

2. Gena says:

I hope Caroline is in denial because it’s disgusting that she’s forgiving him everything. I don’t care if he didn’t have his humanity on, he still did it and still has to face the consequences. If my best friends fiance did that and she defended him, we would never ever speak again. Let’s hope she finally wakes up.

• Stacey says:

I completely agree. It’s kinda like forgiving an alcoholic for a DUI or hit and run. He was drunk so it’s not his fault. He’ll get his comeuppance.

• Kashya Smith says:

Thank God someone else agrees with me. This forgiveness/redemption thing they`re doing is insane. At what point is someone going to actually be held accountable, or at the very least acknowledge that what the other person did was horrifying? There is no way this can end with Caroline wanting to marry him, and if it does, I won`t know what to say.

• Stacey says:

Trust me, many people agree with us! It’s sickening how Stefan, and Damon for that matter get free passes. I hope they both get what’s coming to them. Poor Enzo and Tyler deserved better. Don’t worry about the wedding, check the synopsis for 8×15, they just released it, it made me feel better reading it.

• Katy says:

Yet no one has a problem with how often Damon is forgiven for his atrocities.

• Stacey says:

I think they’re equally horrible and both deserve to suffer.

• Lisa says:

It was not Stephens fault. It’s like being hypnotized to do something bad then when you come back to yourself you can’t be punished for what you did while being hypnotized.

• Jane says:

Sure he can be and must be punished. When a crazy person crosses a line and starts to harm others, he must be isolated. Stefan had his ripper side, it’s part of him and he went ripper a few times already killing hundreds of people. He is just 1 person, why should he survive while hundreds of his innocent victims die? He should’ve been isolated long time ago like silas, or these sirens in a cave or like when Katherine was locked in a cave

• Lisa says:

• Jane says:

If you said smth stupid to your friends, sure you can be forgiven. If you killed your friends while you was drunk, you will get prosecuted. If you treat stefan as sick (he can’t control ripper side), fine. But it is still better to kill one crazy murderer than lose tens/hundreds of innocent victims.

• LizLem says:

No one has a problem with it?

Um, I do. Tons of people do.

They both have their moments and their defenders but I think there are plenty of people who think they are both the worst and pretty undeserving of happy endings, human or otherwise. (Not that I am not a hypocrite though, because I DO think Enzo deserves to live and Donna wanna hear other – lalalanotlisteninglol$).

The best thing to do IMO would be to let both Damon & Stefan go. Their gfs will be fine. Maybe Bonnie can destroy hell so their deaths can be more peaceful.

• Lisa says:

Because he’s hot.

• LizLem says:

Yep. Stefan is the worst and Caroline is getting dragged right down with him.

3. Kashya Smith says:

I knew this tiny streak of me liking the episodes was too good to be true. I hate to say it, but this episode flopped for me. The only good thing was Kai coming back at the end, so I can at least look forward to next week`s episode. There was so many problems in this episode.
    1. Why was Stefan being human just treated as if it was no big deal? We didn`t really see him or anyone acknowledge it, and that felt so weird to me. If I was a vampire for over a hundred years and suddenly turned human, I would have a bigger reaction than that.
    2. Does Damon not care that Enzo is dead? I know they weren`t the best of friends this season, but come on, another no reaction.
    3. Why did no one question how Stefan was human without drinking all of Elena`s blood? Of all the plot holes this has to be one of the biggest, and I cannot forgive it. If someone want to try and explain it to me, you are more than welcome.
    4. The flashbacks with Matt were strange and boring for me, and someone on another site said they thought this was angling for a Bonnie/Matt coupling. I hope not. It would be cool if Katherine was the one to have kidnapped Stefan, but since Nina is only coming back for the final, that`s probably not it. Maybe it`s Lexi. Who knows?
    5. Caroline annoyed me this episode. At what point will these characters be held accountable? I don`t care if Stefan was a Ripper or under Cade`s control. It was still him. Just because he`s human, that doesn`t mean you can just sweep that all away. Same goes for Damon. Forgiveness and redemption can only go so far.
    6. I didn`t enjoy Alaric this episode at all, and there`s not really a particular reason, either. I just didn`t.
    Overall, this episode bored me, but I am excited for next week and excited to see Kai.

• Stacey says:

I could not agree more. You are right on point. The writing was sloppy and all over the place. The only thing I can say relating to the cure is that you only need so much blood to receive it; when Silas took it from Kat, he didn’t bleed her dry. But, I’m confused on how Stefan still has it in his bloodstream since he was hemorrhaging earlier from that stab wound. Giant plot hole, no pun intended.

• Kashya Smith says:

I could have sworn Nadia said Silas needed all of Katherine`s blood to turn human, but either way, like you said, it was a plot hole.

• Stacey says:

Hmm, maybe I was wrong. I’ll have to go back and re-watch. But you’re right, either way, it’s a plot hole.

• Jane says:

In episode 5×05
            “Silas needs more than just a sip to cure himself. He needs every last drop of your blood in your body.” (Nadia to Katherine)
            “No Damon, please, he (Silas) needs all my blood, it’ll kill me, I don’t wanna die.” (Katherine to Damon before Damon feeds Katherine to Silas so he can help bring Bonnie back from the dead)

• Stacey says:

Thank you for posting that, I completely forgot, I guess the writers did too!

• Sharon says:

Easy out. Silas needed all the blood because he was ancient.

• Lisa says:

Wow! Really!? That’s harsh! What makes you so perfect? If you were out with friends and was drinking and said something stupid, wouldn’t you want to be forgiven?i agree with all you said except about the forgiveness… if a child pee’s his pants knowing it’s wrong (while being potty trained) but couldn’t help it, do u punish him? No he’s trying to do better it’s just a bump in the road.

4. Lola says:

Well if the entire free world has to forgive Damon(and I mean the entire canvas of the show) then I have no issue with them forgiving Stefan. If anyone has been the constant recipient of forgiveness and second chances, it’s Damon. Stefan would never be under the evil guidance of Cade if not for him. Stefan was once again sacrificed because of Damon. I don’t care how many wonderful Elena feels he was getting while his switch was off. Damon willing put the twitches in harms way and forced Stefan to chose between himself or innocent children. There was no backdoor for Stefan here. What we know of the Stefan character is that he will always try to do right in complicated circumstances. He would never sacrifice Caroline’s “children”.

5. Sharon says:

Seriously….Stefan was just going to show up at Bonnie’s house! What a moron. I’m pretty sure he is the last person she’d want at her door.

6. Stacey says:

Anybody else feel that Enzo’s blood in that vial is going to come into play?

• Kashya Smith says:

I just thought of that, and I think it might too. I`m not sure how, though.

• LizLem says:

Yeah. Her mom said two things that felt significant when she detected the link to hell Bonnie made via Enzo when he died:

– to bridge the connection: “it’s going to take magic”
      – to close the door: “every part of him has to be destroyed”

Technically, there’s a bit of him left. Now Bonnie just needs some magic.

7. Angela says:

I’m thinking that Elena’s brother Jeremy kidnapped Stephen..

8. Liz says:

I am actually looking forward on how they solve this Stefan human situation. I know that they will try to give him a pass, but I am hoping not . Everytime a vampire on this show turns it off, they have a 2 minute guilt trip and then all is forgiven. The Stefan can do no wrong blinders need to be taken off, Caroline. When the show makes me agree with Matt Donovan, I know something is wrong!

9. Sharon says:

The characters are Vampires, friends of vampires and people who have been colluding to cover up vampiric activity for the whole series. Caroline no longer thinks like a human, of course she forgives Stefan. The only one who really has maintained some form of humanity through the entire series is Matt and he has excused enough to be burning right beside the rest in hell.

10. 'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: A Major Death and Someone Takes the Cure… via @ew + İlave olarak The Vampire Diaries Recap: Yet Another One Bites the Dust… via @TVLine

11. Laurel Bliss says:

All I can say is: WHAT THE MALACHAI IS GOING ON????

12. Laurel Bliss says:

All I can say is “WHAT THE MALACHAI IS GOING ON?????

13. LizLem says:

Burning Enzo’s body was way harsh but I’m assuming the fact that she still has that bit of his blood around her neck means the door and connection to hell ain’t closed? Sorry, Abs. But not sorry.

14. Dominique Shantell Santos says:

Surprised he was still alive I thought he was dead then say he could bring them in the back yay so happy I don’t know why he wants to Double Dead but must be a good reason I think Stefan was kidnapped by the devils minions for insurance policy

15. Dominique says:

i feel like this show is finally getting good again, so it’s a shame it had to last so long, with only a few episodes left. it was really nice to kai pop up in this episode already, although i think it would’ve made for an even bigger surprise if they hadn’t already shown his name during the credits.
    i’m excited to see what bonnie’s storyline will be for the remainder of the episodes. i’ve got this weird feeling they’re gonna go for bonnie/matt in the final episode, and that’s what plec meant with bonnie getting her happy ending, but it wouldn’t be what we thought.
    which, if it’s true, would be disrespectful to the enzo/bonenzo fans.

16. JJLantern says:

It looks like Paul and Ian are going to get their way. From early in the series they have said the humans deserve to win and the Salvatore brothers should sacrifice themselves to make that happen. (Have you heard their story? Picture Stefan and Damon sitting on a beach drinking rum in skimpy swim trunks and then just throwing their daylight rings into the ocean and exploding in flames. They also usually add a bit about lathering each other with oil and engaging in some brotherly love first, but you don’t have to picture that unless you want to!) I don’t think the writers will use the beach scene, just the sacrifice (sadly).
    At this point it sure looks like the only opportunity for any kind of redemption for Damon and Stefan is to give their lives to save the others. In exchange they must find a way to make everyone human again and probably will have to do a mind wipe so nobody remembers them. Maybe Elena could survive losing Damon since she will have her family again – Jeremy, Jenna and John are back – but it seems harsh when they could just compel away the memories again.
    Since they are making a deal with the devil perhaps they will even find a way to get Enzo back as human – if Bonnie doesn’t manage that herself.
    I don’t think the Salvatore boys will hesitate to give their lives for those they love. Stefan revels in his hero hair and guilt and even though Damon keeps saying he is selfish he has been selfless with Elena over and over again:
    – He made her forget declaring his love because he felt he didn’t deserve her but Stefan did
    – He didn’t tell her they met first when Matt was driving her back to Stefan
    – He repeatedly gave her back the necklace from Stefan and helped Elena forgive Stefan
    – He took an extra day, but then he did send Elena away in an effort to break the sire bond
    – He let Elena go when back from the prison world he realized she really had moved on
    – He let Elena stay in the coffin and didn’t kill her friend Bonnie to get her back
    – He changed a lot from the way he started in an effort to ‘be the better man’ for her
    – He was willing to take the cure and become human to have a life with her

While epic love stories and happy endings might also be fun it sure isn’t looking good. Besides, it is happy that these two brothers found their love for each other again and enough humanity to make a sacrifice. I could be satisfied with that. How about you?

17. Gift says:

I screamed when I saw kai! I wondered how he returned, did Bonnie’s magic scream bring him back? wow!!! this episode was very interesting. it was emotional seeing Stefan powerless nd going through all those stuff. Damon was amazing too, I almost got scared thinking the actually lost the only mean could find out how to kill Cade. For the first time I saw Matt in different light. I felt so bad for Bonnie, I wish Enzo will just pop up like kai did. I really hope he is brought back. Caroline truly loves Stefan it’s not a joke, she doesn’t see anything wrong with all he did(of cause he wasn’t himself ) but still u have to stop nd think……. Anyways love is blind. But who could be the one who kidnapped Stefan? I’ve been trying to guess but nothing! or could it be kai? keeping Stefan as leverage. wow again to kai’s entrance, just love it.

• Stacey says:

I think it might be the armory kid, the one who helped Matt last episode, can’t remember his name at the moment. Supposedly Stefan might have caused his family’s downfall.

18. Melissa says:

I squealed like a 12 year old when Kai came walking and did his adorable finger waive! He’s got guts showing his face to Damon and Alaric too. I can’t wait to see next week’s episode!

19. Gift says:

kashya Smith nd Stacey u re both not on point, Damon nd Enzo had a fall out way before the sirens controlled them nd the fact that he was dating Bonnie, Damon didn’t like very much. you don’t expect him to side with Enzo over his brother! would u do that? Damon would also choose nd protect his brother nd so will Stefan. You guys should quit complaining nd understand that the show has always been about the brothers protecting each other either at their worst times or bad. it’s also about the women they love or loved. u all can criticize Caroline all u want for being so understanding but don’t for get she loves him. Didn’t Elena do the same for Damon? everything is fair in love nd war.

• Jane says:

Salvatores’ story is getting to its end and it’s about time. Stef is already human. The MF gang couldn’t close the other side, win Klaus, Katherine or Kai without major sacrifices, now in a battle with the Devil the writers will sacrifice Salvatores and bring the show full circle

20. Gift says:

Lola u re just the best, everything u said is true, u really understand the show u re watching. I mean what makes us human it’s our conscience nd Stefan has that. He is not perfect neither is Damon. Stefan makes the right decision when it’s been put in a bad situation why blame him now. this is not a drunken situation he was forced nd the only way to about it was to do away with his humanity switch. if anyone has to be happy Stefan should be so should Bonnie. this episode was fun.

• Stacey says:

How is Stefan pure and innocent. He was a ripper with his humanity on as well, in case you forgot. He also did not harm Elena with his humanity off until Klaus compelled him. But with his humanity off this time, he couldn’t control it, and either harmed or killed people. Doesn’t matter anyways, he’ll die soon enough since he’s human. I think having both brothers die at the end would be fitting and it’s also what Paul and Ian want.

21. Caelinae says:

Cade is a mind reader. Did he not poke around in Damon’s head and see how close Matt and Alaric had come to figuring out how to kill him? And did Damon not put everything together in regards to the weapon before seeing Cade?

22. Remy says:

Anyone else wonder why Alaric/Damon didn’t just make copies of the journal???

23. precious says:

one of his numerous victims loved one or maybe one of the Bennett witches

24. Sherae says:

What about the guy from the Armory? What did he keep trying to tell Alaric he found? I know the time line and continuity wouldn’t make sense, but it wouldn’t be the first time on TV. He could’ve kidnapped Stefan. Either way, if he called Alaric it was important. Maybe he knew people like Kai were coming back because of the bell.

25. Amina says:

Forever gonna lol at these klaroline shippers who say that Caroline now shouldn’t be with Stefan but yet they want her to be with Klaus?!

26. Laura B says:

I bet the door she opened is where all those on the other side were. So to bring it full circle I bet it’s Lexie who kidnapped him. Or maybe one of the originals. 😉

27. Gift says:

Hmmm not really but I would love it if it were one of the originals. Why will Lexie ever kidnap him? they were best friends, she would just show herself to him. And she would rather go after Damon he killed her if I can remember correctly I bet its Alaric’s student or those seeking revenge on Stefan. wow too much guessing I tell u. I just can’t wait till Friday.

28. Shweta sirwani says:

I think kai or case kidnaps Stefan because we see in episode 13 promo Stefan got shot n also who do that if not him or kai 😘😘😘love tvd doesn’t want to end just yet atleast there will be 10 seasons with new stories after all is got normal ..Wat the hell is wrong with Nina y doesn’t she want to work just make them work we loved u guysssss and love u forever pls make this show possible or its ok whatever u plannedd but I hope its for.the best n also pls best ending otherwise wat the hell show ever TC os

29. Lisa says:

Damon is always shamed and held accountable for what he has done even if he’s protecting people in the process. He took the physical abuse for stefan,from his father,while they were human and he cleans up Stefan’s messes now and even gives up for his little brother. To prove my point about Damon always being treated differently…when thesire bond was broken, Enzo just walked up to the group and hugged..nothing was said. Nobody is trying to help Damon now or then. Everyone forgot how stefan even killed Enzo once cause he was going after Elana. Or when he was with the heretics..nope. not one word. Stefan was the ripper of Monterey..not one word, blood lust not one word,..Damon is the only one whose not been locked up to dry out,except for disease put in him…get my point. Stefan doesn’t deserve happiness..even Cade said his soul was darker.

• Stacey says:

I agree, though I think they’re equally bad. At the start, Stefan was definitely better than Damon, especially with Damon turning Vicki and raping Caroline. As the seasons progress however, it’s been reverse, Stefan has been worse than Damon. I agree though that overall Damon receives more flak than Stefan for doing basically the same deed. They are constantly sacrificing theirselves for one another and I believe Stefan will sacrifice his life for Damon in the finale.

30. Mellow one says:

Caroline annoyed me so much in this episode. She was capping for Stefan even after the trauma he caused. Like really? She’s acting desperate. I want to see Bonnie and Kai together. The only reason why I continue to watch.