The Flash Supergirl Musical

Flash/Supergirl Musical Crossover Features Duet Written by Rachel Bloom, Song From La La Land Duo

The Flash and Supergirl‘s upcoming musical crossover just got even, ahem, crazier.

Rachel Bloom, the co-creator and star of The CW’s Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, has penned an original song for the big event, she tells BuzzFeed. Titled “Superfriends,” the song is a duet — with, I assume, a few meta jokes included for good measure — between stars Melissa Benoist and Grant Gustin.

Additionally, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, the award-winning songwriting team behind La La Land‘s “City of Stars,” have penned the original song “Runnin’ Home to You,” to be performed by Gustin.

Explaining the impetus for her own contribution, Bloom said in a statement, “As soon as I heard that they were doing a musical crossover, I e-mailed [CW president] Mark Pedowitz who connected me to Greg [Berlanti] and Andrew [Kreisberg]. I immediately offered them my services. As soon as they picked one of my song ideas, I hopped on the phone with my old Robot Chicken boss Tom Root and … based on that brainstorm, I wrote up the song ‘Superfriends.’ I am so excited to contribute more to the upward trend that is musicals in television and film. Music can be one of the most amazing and efficient forms of storytelling and character development. Also, it was really fun to write a comedy song for two superheroes.”

Both “Superfriends” and “Runnin’ Home to You” will be performed during the Flash half of the crossover, airing March 21 (8/7c). The crossover begins with Supergirl‘s March 20 episode (8/7c).

As TVLine exclusively reported, Glee‘s Darren Criss will guest-star as the villainous Music Meister. Cast members from both shows — Jesse L. Martin (Joe), Victor Garber (Dr. Stein), John Barrowman (Malcolm Merlyn) and Jeremy Jordan (Winn); and Carlos Valdes (Cisco) — are also scheduled to sing.

How does this latest development make you feel about the crossover? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. madhatter360 says:

Now I have “Super Friends” from Holy Musical B@tman! stuck in my head.
    “Meet me at my place, the fortress of friendship.”

2. kate says:

It actually seems totally reasonable like why didn’t the Flash people just say, hey, we have a show on our network that is a musical with musicians who write songs on staff!

3. anon says:

I wonder if Grant has started banging his head against the wall yet.

4. redjane12 says:

It sounds crazy but then the Buffy musical episode has aged well… And frankly the musical numbers on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend are hilarious….

• Bobbie says:

Loved that song and that whole episode was great. Somehow season two is even better then the first, they better get some recognition at the awards shows next year.

5. Brigid says:

I love musicals and if they move the story forward, I love them even more!!!

6. Sam says:

A superhero one-off musical will probably have more original songs than the entire run of Glee. Suck it Ryan Murphy, now and forever.

7. T.W.S.S. says:

Please release the entire track listing, CW. I hope at least 90 percent of the songs are original.

8. Luli says:

Still pissed that Chyler Leigh is not singing…

• Josh says:

Cause she gets in the way of the Kara/Mon-el relationship that’s forced

• ScottJ says:

With the exception of Jeremy Jordan, who has been a Broadway star, none of the other Supergirl cast members are singing. Most of them aren’t even involved in the “cross-over”.

• Bobbie says:

I wished they would have found a way for Alex to tag along, wouldn’t her bosses want a detailed report on Earth One from an experienced field agent or some such writing nonsense? It’s just a shame, CL does have a great singing voice and well, any excuse for more Alex on my screen is welcomed.

9. Jared says:

I really can’t wait to hear Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoist sing again! They were both really good on Glee.

10. Phun says:

Trying sooo hard to control my excitement for this crossover. Just imagining them in superhero costumes while singing makes me laugh. Cannot Wait!

11. Mo says:

“a comedy song for two superheroes”

Ok the ep sounds like it could be fun and not a downer. What to do…

12. Seth Tomassi says:

Can’t wait for Jesse Martin to have a solo! I saw him on the Broadway tour of Rent and would love for him to get back to his musical roots.