Exclusive
Grey's Anatomy Season 14

Grey's Anatomy: [Spoiler] Poised to Exit

Grey’s Anatomy will be down a doc when it returns next fall.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Jerrika Hinton, who has played Dr. Stephanie Edwards since 2012, will not be back as a series regular in Season 14. The news was foreshadowed earlier this month when the actress landed a starring role in Alan Ball’s new HBO drama series.

Hinton was thisclose to exiting Grey’s Anatomy last spring when she was cast in the Shondaland comedy pilot Toast; at the time, she was in discussions to possibly take part in both shows via a reduction in her Grey’s role, but ABC eventually passed on the project and Hinton returned full-time to Grey’s.

It’s not known how Stephanie’s looming absence will be addressed on screen and if it will allow for JERRIKA HINTONHinton to possibly return on a guest-star basis. Also, it’s worth noting that ABC has not formally renewed Grey’s for another season (although, as our 2017 Renewal Scorecard states, a 14th season is a sure thing.)

An ABC spokesperson declined to comment for this story.

Grey’s Anatomy has weathered its fair share of cast changes over its 13-year run. Patrick Dempsey and Sara Ramirez were the most recent high profile departures, with the former getting killed off in Season 11 and the latter making her final appearance in Season 12.

Are you bummed Hinton is checking out (at least as a series regular)? Hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. a says:

no one will miss her. she is the absolute worst

• rowan77 says:

You do mean the character not the actress, right?

• Jenna says:

Her residency should be about to end. It took 5 seasons for MAC and she’s been a residence for seasons 10 to 13 and there was one year jump at the end of 11. This way she can simply accept a position in another town like the others were supposed to do before the plane crash. She chose neuro seasons ago.
      The only problem is that Jo doesn’t seem to be anywhere near that level, or at least she hasn’t chosen a specialty and focused on that (she had a moment with Callie and Ortho but nothing after that).

• Nick Hayden says:

she is annoying on the show

2. Staci says:

Jesus I almost had a heart attack when I read the headline. Thought it was going to say Justin Chambers

3. Brynn says:

Good for Jerrika. Edward isn’t ,y face character at all but even I see how she’s not been giving a storyline as of late … if you don’t count being in between Amelia and Owen’s carousel of BS.

4. A. D. says:

Thank God…she’s soooo boring!

5. Fan says:

Meh No loss

6. Van says:

Bring back penny

7. Aimee says:

A real shame. But I don’t blame her she’s talented and they have not been using her as much. This means that Jo is getting more screentime, that’s a shame because Camilla cannot act. I wish Jerrika the best of luck.

• Mary says:

Wow so classy of you to bash another actress while praising one. Jo has a lot to tell and barely got any screentime so it’s only fair if she gets some well needed focus.

• Mary says:

It’s not a fact, as you said it’s your opinion. I think Camilla’s acting is just fine. And it’s never too late to tell a character’s story, they didn’t introduce it for no reason. You don’t have to like her, others do. Stephanie may not have as many haters as Jo but she never had huge fans either while a lot of people do love Io and want to see more of her because she represents foster children and domestic abuse victims. There are enough other characters on this show for you to just ignore her if you hate her so much. Jeeze.

• Lauren says:

wtf does this story have to do with someone else’s acting? you people who can’t praise one person without slamming another, like your half as good at your own job. lol

• S says:

People like you annoy me so much. First of all, Jo has been ignored for a long time and it doesn’t matter if this fandom is just as petty as you and hates on her for the dumbest reasons while letting other characters slide everything, she’s a character on this show and she deserves to have her story told. The show can’t always revolve around the same characters, especially if they give characters like Jo such a rich past. Secondly, you WERE bashing Camilla and that’s rude of you. She’s a good actress, she’s improved a lot from when she started and you people don’t need to always criticize her. I remember other actors who get praised to high heavens who I didn’t find very good in the beginning either. But it’s one thing to dislike the fictional character and another to hate on the actress. And thirdly, you’re acting as if they’re gonna make Jo the new star of the show and you will have to endure endless amount of Jo scenes while watching. Get over it, there are like 15 other characters on this show and the little bit of Jo you have to watch should be something you can endure. People call Jo whiny when Maggie whines 70% of her screentime but the biggest whiners are you Jo haters.

• Lea says:

People like you are the worst. Dislike a fictional character all you want but don’t go after an actress like that. Camilla is great when they give her the opportunity to shine, which unfortunately hasn’t happened too often yet. Just because of people like you and your rude comments I hope thee will be more Jo than ever next season. Her DV storyline deserves focus anyway, it’s such an important issue.

• Belinda says:

Yea. I support your opinion a hundred percent! There should be more of Jo than ever to shame the haters! Can’t you guys just appreciate someone’s effort for once! . Guys get over with the hating and criticizing attitude!!

• Gospino says:

To the posters who are attacking Aimee: newsflash, simply stating that you don’t think an actress can act is NOT bashing, it’s giving an opinion. Bashing would be saying she sucks because she can’t act her way out of a paper bag and why in the world would anyone ever hire someone so awful. What you all are saying about Aimee is way worse than her comment about the acting quality of someone who chose to put herself in the public limelight. Personal attacks against other posters just show what kind of little bullies you are, brave in your anonymity. And I agree with Aimee that she is not a very good actress and I dislike the thought of Jo getting any airtime at all. Go ahead and make snotty remarks about those opinions if you want. :D

• Katie says:

Wow, rude much? You know there’s a way of sayig things, like “I don’t find Camilla’s acting very good”. You come across as incredibly unlikeable in your comments. And by the way, you don’t make the rules, it’s not your place to decide if it’s too late to tell a character’s story. And this fandom hating on Jo is so petty. She didn’t do anything worth hating her for. People might dislike her because she didn’t get much development but she’s not doing anything to anyone, the fandom is being incredibly annoying with their dumb Jo hate. I for one can’t wait to see more of her.

• Chris says:

Did you watch the newest episode I thought that was jos best episode to date

8. Rachel says:

Whew! For a minute there I thought it was the guy in the bottom left hand corner of the picture 🙄

9. s says:

I’m disappointed. I was hoping the HBO show would have a different shooting schedule and she’d be able to do both.

10. Rachel says:

I wish her the best. She’s too talented to be a C character on a dying show. Grey’s has never used her to her potential.

• dragons3 says:

Hardly a dying show. It ranked 6th last week.
      I’ll miss Hinton. The show hasn’t done much with her character, but she’s a far better actress than either Luddington or Ferrer.

• Rachel says:

It is dying creatively. The numbers may be good, but for someone like JH who seems to enjoy pushing herself she can find better stories to play elsewhere.

I honestly think all the actors on the show are fine. I think the ability argument that you so unnecessarily brought up has more to do with the quality and consitemcy of writing on this show. Both that you mentioned and others can be quite good when given interesting, consistent, and rich stories to play which unfortunately isn’t happening much for half the cast.

• Chris says:

it’s during creatively ? Since the killer mcdreamy it’s been really good again.

• Rachelle says:

What show are you watching? Greys hasn’t been good since jackson and april ran away and got married. It lost the characters and relationships that added lightness and humor. You don’t feel like a part of their group anymore.

11. Emma says:

good. now get rid of jo

12. Mary says:

13. Lia says:

Oh come on! >_<

14. S says:

Is that why they brought Leah back? Ugh just get rid of her again please. I’d rather keep Stephanie.

15. Andrew Hass says:

I’m not surprised because i think the character of Stephanie didn’t have much story potential.Plus it could free Hinton up to do other stuff and Grey’s could leave the door open for her to return as Stephanie if needed

16. Chrissy says:

For a moment there I thought it was going to say Justin Chambers and my heart stopped. His character is the reason why I have kept watching Grey’s.
    I was expecting Jerrika to leave when her casting on that HBO show was announced. She’s talented and I wish her the best of luck.

17. Laurie says:

I’m not the biggest Stephanie fan because her character was never fleshed out or given enough screen time. However, Jerrika is really talented and classy. I think she will be amazing in film and tv. I wish the best for her.

18. NC says:

Can Leah Murphy please leave with her?

19. regina says:

since shes leaving whos gona repalce her she was a great doctor

• Cat says:

I think it would be better not to replace her with anyone, the core characters who have been on for eight plus years should have more screen time and better, juicier storylines.

20. Margo says:

Its for the better, Jerrika is a great actress but they have pretty much neglected to develop her character over the past few seasons. I hope this means that the show Toast is going forward, she deserves quality storylines to work with….if she’s not gonna get that on Greys…might as well go to where you can!

21. 90sbaby says:

Good luck to her,I wish her all the best.

22. regina says:

is abc gona have a new season i am a big fan of greys anaotmy i love it thats my show right there love how they play there characters n love there doctor rolls n how they r vary true to there job n love there work whos gona be the new doctor since camillia is leaving im gona miss her she wasa wonderful doctor i can tbelive shes not coming back whos the new doctor taking her spot

• Eran says:

Have you accepted punctuation as your Lord and Saviour, child?

• Erin "Lady E." McLaughlin says:

Hey Regina. Not sure where you got that Camilla Luddington is leaving the show. It is Jerricka Hinton (Dr. Edwards) who has been confirmed as leaving. Camilla is pregnant, but it sounds as though they are going to work around her pregnancy.

23. G says:

Don’t care about any of the interns on greys. Shonda has gotta do something soon or I don’t know how it can last another season. Have been a loyal fan since day one, but bored out of my mind for season 13 so far

• Leslie says:

Amen omg I’m watching now because I have to see it through.. but I think it’s time to put this once awesome show out of its misery.. they need to just blow up the hospital while a shooter with the syph runs around inside during a flood that was caused by a plane crashing into a bus on a ferry boat creating a huge tidal wave and everyone dies because they were all there for a joint baby shower/wedding/funeral/bar mitzvah/9 organ transplant. The end and we can finally get on with our lives and not have to tune into this crap every week that dares to call itself greys anatomy.

24. Pedro says:

Well, Hilton has been actively trying to leave the show and looking for other parts for a while. And who can blame her? Much like everyone else in the season 9 class of interns, her character never really took. She has little to do and hardly ever a meaty storyline.

25. Ben says:

YOU SCARED ME! I thought this was going to be about Justin leaving I nearly fell off my bed.

26. Gospino says:

Lack of character development for Stephanie. That’s a shame because a sister to Meredith should have been handled much better. On the positive side, because Stephanie never got any really good stories, I won’t be super upset when she leaves.

27. Mary says:

For a moment I was reeeeally scared it could be Alex, now I’m happy :D ♡

28. Martina says:

Good news for Jo :D! Now the writers can finally focus on her again instead of giving all the good stories to Steph and ruining Jo by neglecting her and let her behave like a bitch all the time :D.
    Well, Steph was ok but for me it was annoying how she always was “the good one”. Only with her decision to dump Wilmer Valderrama last season via sms they gave her a very minor “bad touch”…

29. PJnGA says:

Can she take Jo with her??! Thankful it was not Alex!!!!

30. Dominique says:

a shame, of all the new characters from the last 5 years, i like her the most. she’s smart, real and kind. not my fave character but i still liked her.

31. busta950 says:

No not at all sorry will not miss her i

32. :-) says:

Gonna miss her. Was looking forward to the day they found a use for her. I wish her look on future projects. I hope she took all shondaland had to offer in the form of directing and writing classes.

33. Elaine Greza says:

Not really. I don’t really like her character.

34. Reba says:

I like Stephanie and will miss her. But I don’t blame her, she hasn’t gotten good material in a while.

35. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Minor character.

36. Ryan says:

She’s been kinda irrelevant the last couple season. won’t be missed.

37. Sara says:

Lol no loss at all.

38. Marc says:

Y’all hater. I freaking love stephenie. I’m gonna miss her dearly. This 13th season has been a horrendous bore. They keep adding new characters, and don’t let us get to know them. At least we knew her, and they rarely gave her stories to work with. Too bad. Happy for Jerrika Hinton though; follow her on instagram.

39. shanec1973 says:

Perhaps instead of say that she is the worst,you just congratulate her for her new job.

40. Shru says:

Ahh that’s a bummer! I like Stephanie! She was always the best out of the new interns and the actress is really good! It’s a shame that the writers didn’t use that potential. Instead they focused more on characters like Jo and DeLuca who no one cares about it even likes.

41. Michele says:

No I wouldn’t be sad to see her go she has an arrogance about her that I just don’t like.

42. Sue Long says:

I just wish they’d get rid of the whiniest one on Grey’s and that would be April!!! She doesn’t act; she whines! And always makes the wrong decision! I also think it’s absurd how many females who come to work at that hospital turn out to
    be Mer’s sisters! Enough already!

• Erin "Lady E." McLaughlin says:

Meredith does not have that many sisters who have appeared in the show. There were only 3 half sisters and only two of those (Lexie Grey and Maggie Pierce) came to work at the hospital. The only other half sister she has was a patient but never worked there. Some people also count Amelia, but she is Meredith’s sister-in-law and not directly related to Meredith, so that makes a total of four sisters if all are counted.

43. I so hate this show since killing Dempsey. I want it to end but probably never will. I watched it the first few seasons, because, Dempsey made his return. Them killing him was awful, and, now for it to be continuing without him, is sad. ABC in general, though, is horrible to male actors, Once Upon A TIme (Sheriff, Neal, Robin Hood, Lancelot), Housewives (Mike), Shield (LIncoln and Ward), and Grey’s (Dempsey and TR Knight). I hate watching things on ABC because they always disappoint me. ALso, they never show repeats of OUAT.

44. Susan Meyer says:

Stephanie’s character is not very interesting or terribly likeable so I will not really miss her, but I think the Jerrika did a good job with the script/story lines she was given.

45. K.Ross says:

I lost interest in the show after “McDreamy” left. The show was or is supposed to b about Meridith’s life, now she doesn’t have one. It’s boring and any time they do a flasback, I lose it…
    But…to b fair…I lost my husband, to a seizure, only a few months ago, so it may very well have to do w that!!
    Sorry..I. still love all the actors, per se, but the storyline hurts my heart💔

46. S. Eichner says:

her role started strong… good actor, but the writing for her part dropped, it floundered, left her on sidelines.. a minor supporting role.. and the actress carried it well… shame not more sister’s helping sister.. this last w/ her refusal of adoptive mother invading her hospital, private life… again good acting, good writing, hope she does come back for guest appearance now and then. writing not strong in showing her ” surgeon teaching skill” like other Dr.

47. Amber Jamison says:

I won’t be sad to see her go, she is my least favorite. I think Shonda is spreading herself too thin, and the shows are suffering. This season has been horrible. I don’t miss Cali at all either. And if Penny comes back, I will stop watching. Talk about no talent, no spark, no nothing. And the writers need to ease up on Maggie’s petty, whining, childishness. If she is such a prodigy why are they having her act like a 2 year old? I can’t see the show lasting past season 14, and please can we not see Meredith have any more tragedy happen to her? It’s too much, from seeing her mom slit her wrists, almost drowning, Derek”s shooting and then death, plane crash, Lexi”s death, Christina leaving, miscarriage, hospital gunman almost shooting her, the bomb, her almost deadly c section, the patient attack, and don’t forget George’s death and her mothers also…….come on! If anyone had just 3 of those things happen, they would have to be hospitalized! It’s just getting to be too much. And Jo isn’t my favorite, but I love Alex so I tolerate her! And remember, it’s the writers you should be having issues with. The actors don’t write their own scripts.

48. Warner Gaffney says:

So, is this why she given the storyline of the surgery mishap and the dying of the little boy? She’s really breaking up.

49. Carol says:

Actually, the entire show should bow out and keep its reputation as one of the best. It has become boring and totally uninteresting. BTW, what’s the reason there are no story lines about Meredith’s chidren?

50. Molly Harper says:

There are so many characters on this show that annoy me I have almost stopped watching. When I saw the headline I was hoping it was April, but Stephanie leaving is almost as good. I wish the actress success in her new role, but I will not miss this character.