Teen Wolf Recap

Teen Wolf Recap: Stiles' First Name Revealed in the Season's Finest Hour

When Teen Wolf opens with a shot of an actual swastika, you know some bad stuff is about to go down.

And down it went on Tuesday’s exceptional episode, which claimed the existence of five beloved characters, dropped a heap of mythology in our laps, and officially promoted Mr. Douglas to Big Bad status.

Let’s start with the victims: Each in their own heartbreaking fashion, several members of Scott’s extended pack — Peter, Argent, Melissa, Mason and Hayden — fell prey to the Ghost Riders’ whips and/or bullets. If we’re ranking these, though, I’ve got to give the top prize to Hayden; that dramatic sacrifice, following the most intense game of tug-o-war I have ever seen, did not go unnoticed by this critic. (And don’t even get me started on #SadScott refusing to believe that his mother is really gone… for now. This whole episode was heavy.)

This week’s episode also spoon-fed us a ton of information about that big hot nightmare known as “Mr. Douglas.” Let’s just spell it all out: He’s a part-wolf/part-lion Nazi from 1943 who spent 40+ years stewing in the Dread Doctors’ contaminated chamber, a process that granted him the powers of an Alpha, a Ghost Rider and a Löwenmensch, which is that wolf/lion hybrid I mentioned earlier. Much like his former leader, Mr. Douglas wants to build himself an army, selecting everyone’s favorite permanently shirtless Hell Hound as his first recruit.

And then there’s the matter of Stiles’ first name: Mieczyslaw. That’s right, Mieczyslaw. In one of the finest performances I’ve ever seen on this network, Sheriff Stilinski finally remembered his son’s name, recalling that Stiles used to mispronounce it as “mischief.” (Suddenly Jeff Davis’ little hint makes a lot more sense!) As a bonus, Papa Stilinski’s revelation also helped Scott’s pack to realize that the final rift to the Ghost Riders’ lair is chilling in Stiles’ — excuse me, Mieczyslaw’s — bedroom.

Now that we’ve gotten all that messy plot out of the way, can we talk about what an incredible hour of Teen Wolf this was? Save for the total lack of resolution, this could have easily served as a midseason finale. The special effects were on point, the stakes were crazy high, and Linden Ashby gave the performance of his career in that scene opposite Mama Stilinski. Writer Will Wallace and director Joseph P. Genier both deserve major kudos for this one.

OK, your turn to talk: Did you love this episode as much as I did? Were you surprised by Stiles’ first name? And why, exactly, are the Riders such big Lydia fans? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. Kate says:

Because as I have been saying Lydia is not simply a banshee but a Moraganna who would lead a supernatural army and when she chooses a side, that side is unstoppable. But don’t cross her or you will suffer. Unfortunately for this Wild Hunt and Herr Berner (I think), she already has chosen her side and her army just got a burst of energy.

2. Excellent episode. Hayden’s dramatic sacrifice was perfect and the whole scene was filmed beautifully. Best season by far. I’m sorry to see this show end.

3. Docia Rose says:

This season is so much better than the past season. The younger kids are just outstanding, the grown-ups, just super and the Scooby gang is great. BUT – I’d give it all up to see Dylan O’Brien for just a minute or two – he could be sleeping even – he’s the best!

4. lisa says:

Most of the episodes this season have been fantastic! This one managed to best them. I’m going to watch it again!
    A few things:
    1) I agree, the Hayden & Liam tug of war scene was awesome!
    2) Also awesome, the Scott& Malia v ghost riders!
    3) Is this the first scene Lydia and Parish have had together?
    4) Does Scott know that his mom has been kickin it with Argent?
    5) Is Lydia’s mom still around?
    6)Though I’d prefer this show to not go all 90210/OTH, I like the idea of Malia and Scott
    7) I’m still confused as to how much they currently remember about Stiles. I guess we’ll get that answer next week.
    8) Papa Stilinski, broke my heart.

5. Ditzy-D says:

Linden Ashby was on point. I was crying at the end when he realized Claudia was dead.and when he remembered Stiles.

6. nick says:

Andy I agree with you 100%. The whole hour I was thinking this is one of the best episodes I’ve seen in a very long time in fact the best since season three! It was intense heartbreaking and the looks on the characters eyes one no I was explaining remembering his son was classic teen wolf

7. Monica says:

Mieczyslaw what kind of name is that? people come up what weird babies names.

• GrumpyMittens says:

Polish. It’s a very normal, typically Polish name (and since the Stilinski – or, actually, Stiliński – family is from there, it makes perfect sense).

• Jacob says:

Yea but it isn’t a let down all the years of wondering and now you hear it you get why stiles doesn’t use it

• Samm says:

There were many hints over the years that his name started with an M, would be polish, and actually had the first few letters be MIEC (when he was in Eichen house and we saw a glimpse of his ID)…. I googled and found this name as a potential on the internet last season. So not really a let down to the true Teen Wolf sleuths (not myself included, I just googled other’s hard work).

8. GrumpyMittens says:

I told you they would get some weird Polish name – though I expected something way harder to pronounce.

9. Lisa says:

HOLY POTATOES. I’d figured out the name back in june, I’m feeling weirdly proud

10. Sera says:

Out of curiosity…are we sure it’s not Mścisław, rather than Mieczyslaw? They’re pronounced almost the same, “Miss-che-slav” (very much like “mischief” or mischievous”) and Mścisław is harder to pronounce if you’re looking at it on paper, both because of the accent marks and because of the three consonants in a row at the beginning, something that would baffle most Americans to see. Just curious why everyone is so certain it’s the Mieczyslaw spelling…did Jeff spell it for someone or are we just guessing based on pronunciation?

• SS says:

It was on the official Teen Wolf twitter as Mieczyslaw. But it’s on the MTV captions as Michislav, which sounds like the captioner spelled it phonetically.

11. Dominique says:

this was a fantastic episode, although with all the others who disappeared, it’s more clear than ever they’re not getting just stiles back, but they’ll free the whole other side.
    i don’t understand why parrish was resting in that pod-thing?
    peter’s sacrifice actually held the most meaning to me because he understood what it meant to give himself up to the wild hunt again, and it’s been a VERY long time since peter’s done anything selfless. that last look he shared with malia before he was taken again was beautiful.
    i just hope we’ll get to see stiles again next episode. although this storyline is the best in years, it’s also made me realize that teen wolf without stiles, though it has its moments, is just not that great.

12. RichieS says:

Linden Ashby was great and so was J.R. Bourne . That excrutiatingly painful look on Argent’s face as he realized he failed to protect Scott’s mom was very poignant. Hopefully the whole gang can be rescued in next week’s finale.

13. zack says:

Hey like teen wolf a lot an I like u Lydia

14. Leila G says:

Damn. I kept thinking of Tyler and Chris’s leaked videos when I watched them on screen. They are way hotter in my eyes now :)