Ratings: The Mick Samples Well, Conviction Returns to Series Lows

Fox’s sneak preview of The Mick drew 8.6 million total viewers and a 2.8 rating (per finals), besting The Simpsons‘ most recent post-football demo number and leading Sunday’s non-sports programming in that measure.

In fact, the freshman comedy (which makes its regular time slot debut on Tuesday at 8:30/7:30c) matched NBC’s This Is Us as the highest-rated launch of the TV season. TVLine readers gave it an average grade of “B-.”

Leading out of that, Brooklyn Nine-Nine‘s double-episode winter finale averaged 3.5 mil/1.3, up sharply from its most recent Tuesday airing and earning an “A-” grade.

Elsewhere….

NBC | Sunday Night Football (23.8 mil/7.4) was up from last week’s finals.

ABC | The Bachelor preview did 3.1 mil/0.8. Leading out of To Tell the Truth‘s Season 2 opener (3.7 mil/0.7), Conviction christened its new Sunday home with 2.06 mil and a 0.4, well below both its final Monday airing and its previous series lows.

CBS | Leading out of a Ransom preview (6.7 mil/0.8), a special Pure Genius episode (5.5 mil/0.7) drew a series low in the demo.

1. Dominique says:

wow, ABC is really not even gonna pretend with Conviction anymore, are they?
    disappoiting but not unexpected, since they never gave it the attention it deserves.

• AJ says:

What did it deserve? It got plenty of promotion. No, not as much as Designated Survivor, but it got plenty – and it followed one of their highest rated shows. What more could you expect? It was rejected by audiences, pure and simple.

• Ricky23 says:

I’ve watched a few episodes because there was nothing else on but more often than not the stories aren’t that compelling and the actors haven’t exactly gelled in my opinion. Hayley Atwell is a good actress from what I hear but maybe she’s not strong enough to lead a show.

• Marie58 says:

She IS a good actress. But in this show she’s given some very strange dialog in spots. At least several times per episode I feel embarrassed for her that she has to say the lines. I’d like to see her in a high-quality series where she doesn’t have to use an American accent and can really soar. Like she did in Agent Carter. That was a very smart show. Unfortunately, through no fault of hers, it didn’t pull the numbers ABC requires.

• Katherine215 says:

The dialogue on this show is terrible. It’s like even Hayley Atwell can’t bring herself to say the moronic crap that’s written on the script. Hayes is so nasty one minute, then somewhat likeable the next, and the writers are incapable of subtlety. I feel like I’m being hit with a brick every time I watch this show, the writing is so ham-handed.

• KLS says:

I remember a lot of PR for Conviction before it aired. It had a great time slot against minimal competition and it didn’t stick. Atwell may be good, but I haven’t sen anything that warrants the “protection” status she’s gotten so far with ABC.

2. kmw says:

Good luck to The Mick because they are going to need it New Girl isn’t exactly the best lead in but maybe it can hang in there

3. Kevin says:

Conviction has been the bearer of bad news since the beginning and it’s not looking good in the series move to Sundays. #poorhayleyatwell

4. BM says:

I didn’t even know Conviction had a new episode. Who lets a series resume on Jan 1st?

• Haz says:

ABC obviously as well as CBS they put on an episode of Pure Genuis. I do not know why ABC just does not come right out and cancel Conviction, or go the Wicked City route and stream the remaining episodes? They really dropped the ball and are not letting this show die with any dignity left. The way they put this show on last night knowing it would be killed in the ratings is really insulting to Atwell. I hope when this show ends she does not work with ABC again. She’s not a household name yet, but she is well known enough she could get something better than this.

5. Existence says:

Just cancel Conviction already ABC. No reason to drag it out.

• Ray says:

Oh, it’s cancelled alright. I’m sure the cast and crew are all aware it won’t be returning for another season. ABC just doesn’t want to announce it yet.

• Emor says:

Remember, no show gets ‘cancelled’ anymore. They simply are not ‘picked up’. Besides there are only 3 episodes left to air. This is the new normal. Let go of your old ways.

• herman1959 says:

They’re burning off the remaining episodes to fill out the schedule until the mid-season shows get started. If ABC can keep Atlwell under contract, they should bring back Agent Carter. That said, I’m not sure she should take a chance with again with ABC.

6. rowan77 says:

A bit sad about Conviction, but it’s so formulaic and obvious that it doesn’t feel like the best material for Haley Atwell (Ken Tucker had an article where he basically said she doesn’t have what it takes to be a star so they should stop trying to make her one. WTF, Ken?!) I’d rather she be free to get snapped up into another pilot this season instead of being tethered to a sinking show until it’s too late.

The Mick sounds like the same idea as Joey and Melissa, but without the manny or three camera set-up.

7. Chris says:

Brooklyn should be on sundays !! It’s such a good show!

8. MzTeaze says:

I like Conviction but it’s clear it won’t live to see another season.

9. KLS says:

If you want to see a show get no love, it’s Ransom. Airing Sunday, Jan 1@8:30, then moved to Saturday (!). It’s an international production with a Tom Ellis-like lead. Good people behind it, but not quite hitting the mark. It will probably live on on Global (Canada), but I don’t see CBS sticking with it unless all of their other Winter crime procedurals bomb. But, then again, I never thought Criminal Minds :BB would go beyond 4 eps, so what do I know?

• Carol C says:

I thought it was a great show and, like you, can hardly believe that someone deemed it a good idea to schedule it Saturdays. I’m surprised that TVLine didn’t do a write-up, though I see the numbers weren’t super. Thanks for sharing background info.

10. grys03 says:

Sure Conviction is a bit formulaic but so are many other shows. My major concern has always been the relationship with the mayor – so contrived, so annoying. Brother on the other had is wonderful. The ‘team’ are just starting to get their back stories developed – to be honest there is a VERY long list of shows that need cancelling before this.
    Pure Genius is pure delight. Apart from the elder doctor the rest look & act like a bunch of tech-saavy students who just happen to be doctors & coders. But the show is fun – the science for the most part either exists currently or is around the corner if hospitals could afford the $$$.
    Again a VERY long list of shows that need to be shown the door before this one.

11. Louise says:

Shame on you ABC

12. leprecaun says:

did they bother to advertise that Conviction was moving to Sundays?

13. Rachel says:

I really like Hayley Atwell, but she can’t seem to carry a show. RIP Agent Carter. She is a good actress but maybe not a lead. It kills me to say that.

• A says:

shes strong enough to lead , the show may just not be good enough. She did a terrific job in Agent Carter. Being a good actor and having a hit show are different things you can be a bad actor and still have a hit show .
      Viola Davis and Kerry Washington before Scandal and HTGAWM were not really considered leads either but the show captured peoples attention , Conviction didnt really do anything for me and l love her.
      I hope she gets a great project people will actually want to watch. It was expected this show was going to be DOA from early reviews.

14. Robert Bittner says:

Maybe I’ve missed some fine print here, but isn’t it inaccurate to give viewer numbers like this when so many (most?) of us are time shifting? Stats could change dramatically if you look at, say, a three-day viewing window.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The advertisers place a premium on those who watch Live+Same Day. These numbers are highly relevant in determining a series’ trajectory and fate.