Westworld Season 2 Spoilers Guest Experience

Westworld Creators: Season 2 Will Shine Light On Guest Experience — 'Before the Mayhem Starts'

Westworld‘s robot revolution is definitely on its way. But before it arrives… anyone wanna talk park hopper passes and family dining plans?

Before the HBO drama’s second season fully delves into the situation it set up in the Season 1 finale — aka androids built to be humans’ playthings in a futuristic theme park become self-aware and rise up against their oppressors — it will take a moment to address some of the still-unanswered practical questions fans have about how humans experience Westworld, series co-creators Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy tell TVLine.

For example: Can you do more if you pay more? How does the park handle its child guests? What happens if you disassemble a host, as the Man in Black did?

Nolan says that many of these concerns were dealt with behind the scenes. “We talked a lot about how the experience would feel for a contemporary guest going into the park. We laid out a lot of that logic in the writers’ room.” But when it became clear that the season’s focus was the hosts — and their experience of the park — “it didn’t feel appropriate to spend too much time illuminating how unreal this place is, because the hosts believe in it so much up until that horrifying moment when they realize that it’s an artificial world. So we didn’t get bogged down in it.”

He added that the Golden Globe-nominated drama “will spend a little bit more time next season shining a light on those aspects of the park — what does it feel like to come to it as a guest?  — just a little bit before the mayhem starts.”

About those nominations (Drama Series; Actress, Evan Rachel Wood; and Supporting Actress,Thandie Newton): Joy says that being among the cast “on the day-to-day level” left her feeling “like we were on this journey together… I wasn’t really thinking about the future, about awards or anything. I was just thinking, ‘My god, how fortunate are we to be working with brilliant performers and wonderful, generous people?”

Nolan adds: “We were so excited and engaged by the material and by the performances that we were getting back from the actors, by the things that our incredible crew were designing and building. As the episodes came together, we really felt like we had something very special.”

1. Annie Sisk says:

Can’t wait – but, obviously, will – for season 2. I was enthralled with the entire experience. I just wish Jimmi Simpson was coming back, but I guess his story’s been told, so I understand why he’s not. It’s gonna be a long 2 years!

• Michael Summerset says:

With this show anyone can come back. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ford wasn’t really dead. Remember how he was printing up a new android in the basement? We don’t know what it was. He could have made a fake copy of himself. But I don’t expect we’ll see him back anytime soon in the next season.

• Annie Sisk says:

Ford could come back, you’re right … but I also think that’s doubtful. Simpson has already stated he’s not coming back, and that makes me so sad, LOL.

• Lj says:

I see Ford as being the same as what Sean Bean was in GOT. Just the lead actor to get the viewers hooked, then killed off and remembered briefly in story lines that create a new generation of lead actors!

2. Jim says:

Thandie Newton as SUPPORTING actress? Seems fishy. Is it just all about the billing, not actually the prominence of the role?

3. Brigid says:

This show was difficult to get through those first 4 episodes, I almost fell asleep it was so boring. Glad I did! It definitely got better toward the end of the season and those last 4 episodes were fantastic. I really don’t care too much about the guests, I’m way more interested in the robots and that park. Mauve, Dolores and Bernard are the best characters and I can’t wait to see what their next moves will be.

4. Jennifer says:

I started watching this when TWD got dull, it’s on the back burner now and haven’t looked back since. I was pleasantly surprised with how taken I got with Westworld. Great show and really great cast.

5. David Graf says:

Is anyone else disappointed with how little we got for going through so much? The plot is nothing more than robots rise up against humans after developing sentience. That’s it. The people behind Battlestar Galactica must be feeling ripped off right now.

6. Melissa Wood says:

I was so happy to see that Westworld was renewed. I am a little nervous that the second season won’t do as well. However, I’m hopeful. I’m going through a bit of withdrawal and have started to seek out fresh stories that are similar to Westworld that give off the same vibe. Avalon by Rusty Coats is exactly what I have been looking for. It’s noir science fiction that merges virtual reality with Raymond Chandler. Any Westworld enthusiast would dig it.