Post Mortems
Gilmore Girls Netflix A Year in the Life

Gilmore Girls' Amy Sherman-Palladino: The Revival Post Mortem Interview You've Been Waiting For

The following 2-page post mortem contains massive spoilers about all four chapters of Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. Proceed at your own peril

Gilmore Girls fans, chances are very good that you’ve seen all four installments of Netflix’s A Year in the Life and you have about a dozen or so questions burning a hole in your brain. Questions about the final four words. Questions about the father of Rory’s unborn child. Questions about that mysterious letter. Questions about Luke and Lorelai’s wedding date. Questions about the possibility of a second revival.

Well, at at around 11 am on Wednesday, I grabbed my tape recorder, called an Ooooooober and travelled to an undisclosed coffee shop here in New York City to meet with series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and get the answers you crave. Herewith are highlights from our illuminating chat.

TVLINE | The original plan was to have Rory get pregnant right after college?
Yes, like at 22-years-old.

TVLINE | Which is very different than Rory being pregnant at 32. Let’s first talk about the original plan that would’ve had Rory being a very young, potentially single mom.
I always wanted [the story] to end in a Life Repeats Itself kind of way. The daughter following in the mother’s footsteps. I always thought that was an interesting way to go, with these women who are so tied to each other and who make slightly different choices, but find themselves in interesting situations together. Because they are not like any normal mother and daughter. I wouldn’t have made her a teenage mother. But I thought [it made sense that] after college and right before she’s about to embark on her life that this would happen.

By the way, Rory doesn’t have to keep the baby. There are choices here that she can make. It’s just the left turn. It’s that curveball that life throws you. I will say, weirdly, that I like it much more now. I still think it would’ve been cool [to do in Season 7 had]. I still would’ve listened for the [fans] screaming out the window. But there’s something about Rory being the same age as Lorelai was when we first met Lorelai [in the pilot] that has a lot more symmetry and means a lot more. And the fact that Rory has gone through this whole journey of trying to figure out what the f–k her life is going to be and thinks, “OK, I figured it out.” And then, “Nooo, I haven’t.” It’s also the time to be thinking about having a baby if you’re going to be thinking about it.

TVLINE | So you didn’t intentionally want to leave things on a cliffhanger?
No. The thing about these women is their lives keep going. And keep changing. I like that we end with Emily being calm and settled. Lorelai, for the moment, is calm and settled. And Rory is, “Holy s—t. What the f—k?” That’s more real than if all three of them had lovely endings and we tied it up with a bow and everyone went home with a unicorn.

TVLINE | Luckily, Season 7 didn’t screw up your plans.
Right. When Dan and I started breaking these stories, we didn’t know how Season 7 had ended. So we had no idea if they already had done something like this. Rory could’ve had a pregnancy scare in Season 7. They had Lane get pregnant, which was the only thing I was a little disappointed in.

laneTVLINE | Over the summer you told us that the writers who took over in Season 7 stepped on one thing you wanted to do in the revival. Was it Lane’s pregnancy?
Yes. That was the one thing. It was a totally valid story point. I’m not saying it was executed poorly. It was just the one thing I was like, “Damn.” I would’ve preferred that Lane not have kids, only because it would’ve given us more options. The one thing you couldn’t do with Lane and Zack is have them be sh–ty parents. So them having kids sort of dictated them still living in Stars Hollow. It changed things ever so slightly. They’re still rock and rollers. They’re still the cool parents. But the Rory thing they left wide open for me, which I was very happy about. I’m very pleased with how it ended.

TVLINE | It can’t come as a surprise that the ending left fans wanting more.
No. The old adage is you always want to leave them wanting more. You don’t really want someone to walk away from something you worked so hard on going, “Alright. I can move on.”

TVLINE | So, on that topic, what will it take to have another revival?
No one is talking about that right now. We’re all very tired. I have to finish this Amazon pilot [The Gilmore Girls A Year in the Life Recap Episode 4 FallMarvelous Mrs. Maisel], which I’m very proud of. Dan and I have been in a Gilmore cocoon for a year and a half. It’s been very intense. So we’re stepping back now. We’re happy it’s out. We’re happy we can talk about it.

TVLINE | But you’re not ruling it out.
I don’t rule anything in my life out. When people were talking about a Gilmore movie [after the original series ended] I was always like, “That’s not going to happen.” But I wasn’t going to say no. Because… why say no to anything?”

TVLINE | Has it even crossed your mind where the story could go next?
No. Not at all. People have asked me, “What is Rory writing in the book?” And I’m like, “I don’t know what the hell she writes in the book.” [Laughs]

PROCEED TO NEXT PAGE FOR SCOOP ON THE FATHER OF RORY’S BABY, THAT INFAMOUS LETTER, THE SIGNIFICANCE OF LUKE AND LORELAI’S WEDDING DATE AND MORE

1. Al says:

It seems like there is GG article every day now lol

2. C says:

I’ve been waiting for an interview with ASP – so thank you Michael! However, what makes me sad that ASP goes on and on about shippers not being concerned just about Rory…but it seems most fans are truly upset with how Rory was handled. Of course I wanted more Jess, but Rory’s character is almost unrecognizable and I’m so disappointed with what happened to. Her career, this pregnancy, the affair. It’s sad.

• Roberta says:

To be fair the affair was completely in character (see Dean) as was the life crisis (see when she dropped out of Yale) as were Lorelai’s commitment issues (see all the boyfriends she had during the series). What disappointed me was the fact the the only character in all the series that seemed to have not been frozen for 10 years was Dean. It was perfect, from top to bottom, but frankly I did not at any point asked myself what they did for the last 10 year, because it could very well be 2006 and nothing would have changed.

• Erin says:

All of this. This is why the series was such a disappointment for me. Everything was perfectly in character, but there was absolutely zero growth.

• Yes, she was still technically “in-character” but I would have hoped by 32 that Rory would have learned from her cheating mistakes. She was 18 when that happened with Dean. I hated that, but Rory had always been so perfect…it made sense she would mess up big time eventually. But at 32, having an affair with someone who is also engaged? That was a mess.

• April says:

Total mess. I’m the same age as Rory now and had far less resources and safety nets available to me and still have so much more sense than she does at 32. Her character was so used to life being handed to her and everyone fawning over her and I guess that is how she got to be so clueless at this stage. Also, so hard to root for someone who carelessly stayed involved in an affair and for so long…blegh.

• Vs says:

32 year olds aren’t allowed to be a mess? How old are all you people? Protip: you don’t figure things out like that. Things don’t get wrapped in a little bow. 32 is still young and much is unsure and unknown and crazy. Actually 10 years on and you realize your career isn’t what it should be is the perfect time to have a messy crossroad situation.

• Mark says:

Rory was *never* perfect. That was one of the points of the show.

• April says:

I didn’t see an option to respond to Vs directly but yes, 32 year olds don’t need to be living life with a neat little bow but I am that age now and I could not see why she was living like a confused 21 year old. She was making so many bad decisions and the stability of others is the only reason she was making it by. Her line of thinking and decision making just didn’t jive whatsoever with the Rory we saw at the end of the original series, especially when her brain should have matured a bit by now.

• Michele says:

Perhaps she could not help herself because Logan was her one true love and soulmate😊

• Becky says:

What I find interesting is ASP doesn’t want us to look at Rory in relation to the man in her life and then ends the series with her pregnant… You know who didn’t get het pregnant? Her career.. her relationships with family, or any of the other things she wants us to look at regarding Rory…. That makes sense.. :: eye roll ::

• Mel says:

I think Rory was quite in character. Since Yale she did develop a sense of entitlement. BUT FEELS LIKE NOTHING HAPPENED DURING 8 YEARS! As a professional, you may at first dismissed jobs as not what you want or knowing you are worth more. But you don’t wait 8 years to figure out maybe you should lower your standard. Ok, she may not have to worry about money because of her family’s wealth, but the longer you wait to have a steadi-ish job, the harder it will get later when people see you have not been up to anything. Freelancing is valid for not steady, but you still got to get stuff out somehow. So really, if this had happen when she was 25-27 ish, it’d be fine. Or she had done something other than just 1 article, and that didn’t work out. Same with Lorelai her relationship was frozen with the same communications problem.

• I agree with all of this.

• Grey'sFan says:

Yes, it seems like the point was that Rory would follow in her mom’s footsteps and get pregnant as a single woman. I was actually thinking about this yesterday Wed. Nov. 30) that I bet the original intention was for GG Season 7 to end with Rory graduating from Yale with multiple journalist job offers, only to have to turn them down because she was pregnant. It seems that’s where they “kept” Rory because they never had any plan for her to actually work in journalism. It can be fixed if they do make another Netflix revival and show Rory’s career through eight years (given the fact in RL journalism has floundered and the jobs just aren’t there it does make sense that Rory isn’t make a great living at it) and how she and Logan rekindled things (perhaps Logan’s finance was sleeping with her college boyfriend in Paris before she moved in and they are both settling down to please their families and because in their 30s it’s time). I actually envision a sequel where Luke/Lorelai are doing more of the raising of Rory’s kids (twins Richard and Lorelai aka Lori) more so than Rory is – this would be a good way to start with a major falling out where Lorelai yells at Rory to get her act together and grow up and be a real mother to her kids. The Lorelia and Rory fight should happen at the twins second birthday and on top of it Logan and his wife (who just suffered a miscarriage) see Rory with the twins and he puts two-and-two together and is angry she didn’t tell him about the babies. Flashbacks to Rory’s life after the 2008 Obama campaign then show her career trajectory and What happens in Vegas style relationship with Logan (convinced it was Rory’s idea). Then we can get back to the present and see where Rory goes with her mom, Luke and Logan all mad at her and how she rebuilds her life in the way she wants to and finds reception with the people she’s hurt (now that is the Lorelia and Emily and Richard and Christopher story).

• Grey'sFan says:

Redemption. And Lorelai. Sorry about the grammar errors, this website makes it difficult to check, not to mention stupid autocorrect and no edit feature.

• Amberinthecold says:

Glad I’m not the only one who remembered they did end season 7 with her employed on the campaign trail.

• J. Dren says:

You have this so thought out! Like seriously look no further the next revival has been written!

• Benington says:

If you remember…Logan did refer to his upcoming nuptials as the dynastic marriage. It is as good as an arranged marriage. He is only marrying this woman because of family obligations. The Huntzberger dynasty heir to marry into another family dynasty and royalty to boot!.

• Tricia says:

I think people forget that for Rory she probably spent years on the Barak Obama job, she was living in a NY apartment and working then decided at 32 to focus more on her freelance. She was not just some kid out of college pounding the pavement looking for a steady job. She got a job right out of school that lasted, most likely, at least 4 out of the 8 years according to her description of the job when she first got it (season 7). Also, when “winter” opens she is in the midst of co-authoring a book along with being on the verge of meetings with a major publication. This is not a person who has been flitting around for 8 years, it is a person who has decided that now is her time to be uprooted and flitty because she probably never has been in her life until recently.

• haleygriffin says:

Yes, as an original fan who still watches GG reruns when I can catch them, I am completely disappointed in how Rory was handled. I understand that life happens, that you aren’t necessarily as successful as you want or think you will be. And yeah Rory’s storyline would have been completely in character for Rory if no time had passed, but it has been 8 years since the original finally. And for Rory to have no growth in that time is ridiculous. Rory wanted to be SOMEONE, be Christiane Amanpour, be a writer for the New York Times. She wanted to travel and write. She wanted to be successful. For her to fail to live up to her potential, without any explaination is what gets me. If Rory would have been happy with her vagabond existence or if there had been some explanation for it, even at 32, would have been fine with me. But there wasn’t.
      For her not to end up with anyone is also fine with me. It fits the theme of the show. but then why was there so much focus on rory’s relationship? If ASP wanted it not to be about the boys and which one she ended up with, Why was there so much focus on it. Why not focus on Rory having a suscessful career? Why treat Rory like she is 22 and has no idea what she wants for her life? Why at 32, is Rory completely unhappy with what her life has become with no explanation.

• Gern Blanston says:

There was an explanation. She has worked fairly steadily, but just never caught on anywhere permanent and finding a job in the journalism field is hard. That was pretty much it. There didn’t need to be some long drawn out 20 minute scene explaining why she didn’t have a steady job. As for Rory wanting to be SOMEONE, so what. I want a million bucks for sitting on my butt. It’s my life dream. It still hasn’t come true. Just because she really, really wanted it doesn’t mean that it’s going to happen. Which explains why it seemed like there was no growth in her character. People regress when life doesn’t work out how they plan all the time. It’s really common. Why do you think all of these millenials are living with their parents after college? Because life isn’t working out, they can’t find a job that they want, and they are regressing to a safe time in their lives. Part of that safe time in her life was starting up with Logan again. Just because all of this wasn’t spelled out explicitly doesn’t mean that it wasn’t addressed if you looked for it.

• GGFan says:

Journalism is not that HARD right now. There are more outlets to write for than ever before. Aside from the reputable dailies, which ALL still exist, there are the Huffington Posts, the Buzzfeeds, the Elite Dailys, etc in the world. Where you can make of your career/you writing what you’d like, even if it’s not the almighty NY TIMES right off the bat. Arguably, there are MORE opportunities and outlets to share your writing than there ever were before. And even though we know that Rory was much more into print than on-air stuff – and as much as people say that TV news is dead – that’s not true. Last time I checked, CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX (ew) etc etc still exist. They till have anchors and reporters and overseas correspondents and 60 minutes and local news and affiliates.
          Amy and Dan had a vision – and it was, quite simply, NOT to give Rory a happy ending. Period. And for many of us, this vision seems sad/awful, given what we were presented with in the early seasons. It’s not thoughtful and artistic. It’s just plain bleak.

• Gern Blanston says:

I can still buy a landline telephone. Just because its around doesn’t mean that its thriving. Reporter jobs are hard to come by. A quick Google search shows that CNN worldwide only employs about 200 actual reporters. The on-air personalities are not reporters and that isn’t what Rory wanted to do. CNN being the largest means that all of the other organizations employ probably even less. And who knows how that is broken down. How many of them are sports reporters because that would indicate even fewer jobs for her. The websites that you list aren’t really news outlets. For the most part they are commentary outlets where they take someone else’s work and comment on it which is something that she didn’t want to do. The ending wasn’t bleak if you follow the full circle theme. All of the things that the viewers wanted for Rory the Gilmores wanted for Lorelai. Just because neither of them got those things out of life doesn’t mean that the story is bleak. Was the life that Lorelai ended up with in Star’s Hollow bleak? That is the kind of life that Rory is probably going to end up with which doesn’t seem sad. It’s just different than what you wanted for her.

• Kathryn says:

Beautifully said!

• Disappointed_In_Shameless_EP says:

Life moves on – people change – and evolve – and no offense – but Amy Sherman Palladino created this character nad as it is her ART she decides where it goes – the problem here is you – and shippers as a whole – who somehow think you have ownership of characters – you do not – you are the audience – you are not the creators – if you want ownership of characters – create your own – breathe life into them – and stop fantasizing about fictional characters that YOU DO NOT OWN

Shippers in general tend to be irrational crazy people who can’t live their own lives – and your attitude demonstrates you know nothing about what is real in the world of ENTERTAINMENT

• December says:

Agreed

3. McQ says:

Your new advertising makes the page impossible to read. I’d like to read this article on my iPad, but I can’t.

• s says:

It’s actually not impossible, you just have to click wherever it says “go to article/skip ad and go to article” or something. Can’t remember exactly where it is, maybe the website’s right corner, but the same thing happens when I try to read articles on my phone or when I occasionally use my mom’s ipad.

If it doesn’t work or you can’t find it, you can click on ” <<Back to Tvline" and click on the article again, that usually works. :)

• Lucy B says:

Agreed. It makes the page on my computer suddenly blink blank, then to the ad, and I have to “back” to get to the article. Happened to me three times trying to read this one. I don’t mind ads; I know they’re necessary for free content. But when it makes it this frustrating to get to the content, it becomes a problem.

4. Alyssa says:

THANK YOU for this!!

5. I’m frustrated that she won’t just say its Logan’s kid. I’m also frustrated that the revival was full of stories that were clearly hampered by time. It would make more sense story wise for it to take place a year after the finale (though I know that’s not possible). But 9 years later and Rory still can’t handle a pitch meeting? Luke and Lorelai haven’t discussed kids?

Regardless, I enjoyed it and it was a fun ride. But it needed more Paris! Always more Paris.

• Bobby Bobby says:

I’m frustrated she won’t say it’s Logan’s kid, either. “I’m not even trying to be cryptic.” Yeah, right.

• Brandi says:

Yea I call BS on that too. She was a cryptic as you can get. She probably doesn’t want to say because it gives her something to hang onto. The 4 last words have been used up, what she going to lord over GG fans for the next 9 years now? Oh, who’s the father.

• Kathryn says:

She won’t say it’s Logan’s, she won’t rule out Paul. It should be the wookie’s baby to further the fiasco she has created.

• chantylat says:

I was also thinking the wookies baby! I highly doobt its Paul though. They coukd even have it play out as wairing to do the paternity test tonseenif its Logans or he wookies! Haha

• Jorf says:

Anyone else frustrated about how they literally only gave Patty like 2 lines in the entire revival??

• bojanapapic says:

she did have a one night stand!

• Benington says:

Jess is Rory’s Luke. The way he looked at her through the window. By the way Jess has grown enormously and did so even during the tail end of the original run. He is good for Rory even suggesting the book. He is her soul mate. He supports her personally and professionally as opposed to enabling her visa vie Logan.

6. Dannie C says:

I don’t know what to say other than I loved the revival & so very thankful it happened.Really interesting that it was Lane’s story that steped on her plans, totally agree with her(&not 1 but 2 Babies) The Paul joke made me laugh every time. Thank you So Much Amy & Dan,Lauren,Alexis,Scott & Kelly etc +Michael Ausiello for being the best reliable source & fellow fan to freak out with. If this is it TY GG will always mean so much to me & if more happens i can’t wait to go on the ride with you all.

7. Diana Dalton says:

Michael please, PLEASE I am begging you to mention to ASP that we GG fans, and you know us as die hards, would LOVE to see a spin-off of the Life & Death Brigade. I mentioned it months ago to Tanc Sade on his FB page and he replied by saying he wouldn’t have time back then since Roadies was still on and he was filming on Lethal Weapon. Well seems now is the perfect time! GG is fresh on our minds and a spin-off show with L&DB would be incredible. The fans know the characters already, we know the history of the major 4 involved. It could keep the GG fan base as well as grow a new one. So much fun waiting to be written. The Fall season of the revival was my favorite, as I am sure many others will agree, because the magic of the L&DB. I didn’t want it to end with them. My favorite moments on the show itself is when they are involved. So please, with your influence and fabulous connection to this show and ASP perhaps you could get her and crew thinking about it?

• Jec says:

L&BD was the worst part of the revival. It’s not charming to see men in their 30s prance around throwing money away they didn’t earn. It’s disgusting.

• L&DB was the best part of the revival. Loved every minute of it.

• Brock Hard says:

No way. Those guys are all douchebags.

• ComeOn says:

While I agree there’s no need for a L&BD show, it’s a bit unfair to judge who they are outside L&BD as they were going all out to have a last goodbye with Rory. Aside from Rory saying Colin buying things when he was drunk we don’t know they are doing this on a regular basis. And they all became quiet sad drunk by the time they got to the inn, which we never seen that before. Yes they are still all rich spoil brats but it could be a very small part of their life. They could be Wall Street tossers in their daily life and very depress about their existence for all we know.

• April says:

I’m a super fan of the show and would never want to see this! How is it fun to watch spoiled, dumb, pretentious, immature, privileged, rich kids be fools? There was so much time given to characters like Finn and Colin that the revival really didn’t even need to include. That time could have been better spent on Jess, Christopher, Sookie etc. Really bogus characters. That whole segment felt so unnatural to the series. So over the top and completely unnecessary.

• Ally says:

What? Girl, get a grip. Nobody liked those douchebags except you.

• Lisa says:

I am a huge and nearly lifelong GG fan, and the last thing in the world I want to see is a spin off about the damn Life and Death Brigade. God help us all. No thanks.

• Jeff says:

Amy Sherman Palladino presents “Douchbags”.

8. GGFan says:

What a colossal mistake and disappointment. In my opinion, as a fan since the pilot aired for the first time on Oct 5th, 2016 – this is the worst possible thing ASP could have done. I absolutely hate that she ended it this way – it breaks my heart and taints the entire original series. Even worse – she would have done it at 22! What in the actual….

Many of us thought that one of the major points of this show was that Rory was supposed to do better and be better because she had the support of her crazy/cool mom, steadfast grandparents, and quirky town. This totally destroys that turning Rory into an insufferable character who winds up a jobless, homeless, pregnant cheater. WHY? Honestly – why? Is this some sort of message about how no one is perfect and history repeats itself? Because it was more FUN for the Palladinos to do it this way? Because they want to hear us screaming out of our windows and think it’s funny that 16-year long fans are furious? It’s moronic. I get that Rory couldn’t be perfect because that would be boring, but as Alexis put it, I think they “overcorrected.”

When asked why people have stayed so connected to this show, many of the actors say that it’s because there was a sort of nostalgic comfort to it. Well the revival blew this comfort to hell.

And don’t even get me started on wasting time with a Sutton Foster/LDB tribute when we could have been meeting Michel’s husband and getting to see scenes with Rory & Lane’s kids. I mean, she is supposed to be THEIR LORELAI. And not to mention the piss poor writing – long running jokes that were not even remotely funny (ie – Paul, “I’m NOT back!) Kelly, Lauren and Yanic scenes were the only ones that made thi garbage worth watching.

Totally pitiful. And most of the diehard GG fans I know (at least 10) hated the revival. I’m so surprised Ausiello and other folks at TVLine reacted the way they did. I really had my hopes up.

• Jennifer says:

Thank you for this! This is how I felt. ASP slapped all her “loyal” fans in the face. Rory was driven. There is NO WAY she would have ended up drifting at 32. And no way pregnant at 32, LET ALONE 22. History does not have to repeat itself.

• Jennifer says:

My final thought? ASP had this whole “Drifting” story line in mind for the final season but didn’t get to do it. It would have made more sense at 22. Now it’s just ridiculous. People grow. People change. Except ASP. She was bitter and made it known.

• GGFan says:

She slapped us all in the face. And she slapped us hard. And she was laughing as she did it while muttering something about Season 7 under her breath.

• Teva shany says:

I totally agree with you. I hated what they did to Rory she totally regressed as a character. They made 30 year olds look less mature then when Rory was when she was in high school seriously who behaves like that?! And that musical was just terrible and totally pointless what a waste of time just for a cameo that wasn’t even impressive.

• leo says:

Not everything has to be nice and pretty. I like that Rory doesn’t have a perfect life. It’s more REALISTIC!!!

• jj says:

complete agree!

• GGFan says:

People keep saying that it’s more “REAL” this way, which I also fundamentally disagree with. It’s not that REAL for a Yale grad, editor of the Yale Daily News and former online magazine writer for the Obama campaign to end up with almost nothing to show for 9 years of work. A few publications. I ‘m sorry – that’s not REAL. A talented person with those credentials would have opportunities. And that’s being REAL with you guys.

Maybe a quarter-life crisis at 25/26…okay, I’ll give her that, but being a completely unlikeabale failure in her personal, professional and romantic life at age 32, and getting pregnant by mistake – given her background, her age and her credentials, is NOT REAL.At all.

• c-mo says:

So, you wanted the unicorns…?

• GGFan says:

Um….no, not at all. I wrote in my original post that I get that Rory couldn’t be perfect. I get that conflict needs to exist in ordered for there to be a story. But there’s a difference between “UNICORNS” and the morally bankrupt, selfish piece of elitist arrogant trash that Rory is in the revival. There was absolutely nothing to like about her, except MAYBE for her rare moments of sympathy for Emily.

• Brandi says:

Agreed. Everything you just said! I had high hopes, 1)this was hyped so much, 2)TVLine/Ausiello said it was worth the wait. I don’t think it was.
      The only things I got out of this that I loved was Luke and Lorelei getting married, more time with Jesse, Paris, and Emily. There was so much wasted in the revival, as GGFan states. I’d also like to add a what the lame weak sauce was that scene with Christopher all about??? Why even bother? Rory didn’t even get a good answer out of him. I loved almost every scene with Paris except that melt down she had in the bathroom over fake Tristan. That was the most ridiculous scene of all I think. Oh wait, the musical was the most ridiculous, that I forwarded through. Sorry Sutton Foster you should have had better. And the scene with Dean was so bland. Guess I should be glad he and Rory kept their hands to themselves. At least he seemed to move on in life.
      Ugg, I also know many GG fans that didn’t like it. There was just so many things wrong with it.

• April says:

I agree with many points you made. I was surprised how Michael’s only criticism from a different article was that the musical was a tad too long. I know the series very well and just can’t give this effort some kind of A+ when it just wasn’t. There were good parts, of course wonderful to see the characters, but that did not make the storytelling flawless.

• Laura says:

Thank you for this! I 100% agree. Thank you for speaking the truth. Interestingly Alexis who played Rory said she expected something different. Rory regressed. Yes she made some of these mistakes before, but u mature and don’t keep making those mistakes. And after a Yale education she would fall asleep during an interview and be so unprofessional. This Rory was more immature than the original and I too thought the whole point was with her mom’s love a support she would have an amazing life and success. Totally ruined the old show for me.

• dsantos says:

Spot on! Hard to pinpoint the good parts of the revival because the entire experience was enraging, awful and heartbreaking.

9. MMD says:

I’m so glad that it was 10 years later because if the late great Edward Herrmann (Richard) had still been alive then the entire story would have changed. Gilmore Girls has always been about the women, Emily, Lorelai and Emily and Emily and Lorelai would not have grown as they did if Richard was still around.

10. Diana says:

Can you ask her about Jess? What was going on with him at the end? Thank you!

11. Мы поможем взять кредит под залог автомобиля любого типа с
    парковкой на охраняемой автостоянке.

12. E says:

Haha she is my favourite, she doesn’t care at all but still cares so much

13. SM says:

I don’t get the full circle, well, crap, to be honest. This was the story of a mother and daughter. Lorelei, rightfully so, rejected the her controlling and emotionally disconnected parents and worked like hell to give Rory more. As other commenters have said, Rory was supposed to be more. All of Rory’s tenacity was stripped in this revival. This simply isn’t the Rory that AS-P showed us for 6 years. And for AS-P to say too much was made about the men in Rory’s life, well that’s on you – look at the writing! At times, Rory seemed desperate for Logan. That isn’t the Rory that I loveD.

• jj says:

Rory was always a flawed character. I find it weird that people were expecting her to be perfect living a perfect life. That’s never who she has been.

• April says:

She was definitely flawed. I don’t think anyone expected her to be perfect. But to be on some sort of path that made sense. Her decision making, leaning on the connections/money/stability of others all the time made a lot of us dislike her and that’s not what you want in a revival. We should still want to root for her. I started to really dislike her and that’s not how a revival should make you feel at the end. She seemed to lack in emotion, drive, ambition, morality, etc which we should still see in her (especially in her 30s).

• Paulinha says:

She was not always flawed. Until what seems to be her second semester at Yale, when she started to slowly become a brat, she was almost unreal, she was so perfect. This pure, beautiful, prematurely wise kid who read philosophy and said to her first boyfriend on their romantic evening in the junkyard “moments like these make you sad, because you know nothing can ever be this good again”, who couldn´t be bothered to care about money or fashion, who lived in books and liked a boy in silence. Ok, i understand that you cannot sell that kind of character to this day´s consumer public. I also understand you don´t stay a starry eyed child forever, but there were WAY better places to go from there then where she went in the revival, and even before that. I enjoyed the revival, i don´t call myself disappointed, but i was at a loss with what she had become.

14. Nicole says:

So if they are intentionally paralleling Lorelai and Christopher’s storyline with Rory and Logan, then Logan has to be the father of Rory’s unborn child. Why be so coy about who the father is?

15. I would have liked you to probe her more on the Christopher thing because beyond Logan doesn’t really have his character or his weakness. I don’t believe for a second he’s going to abandon Rory when he finds out. And he will find out. Logan will be waiting for that book of Rory’s.

• jj says:

Christopher didn’t intend on abandoning Lorelai either. He was ready to marry her and go work for Richard when Lorelai got pregnant.

• Mel says:

Also he’s 32; not 16. I believe that Logan would have committed to Rory if she had asked him to. He proposed once. His pride got hurt. It was her turn to make the gesture

• Brandi says:

I don’t either. Everyone is calling him Rory’s Christopher. I don’t think Logan would just abandon her either. I realize Christopher wanted to marry Lorelei and work for Richard, but with just a small push for Lorelei he was gone. I don’t think Logan would do that. I think he would stick around. He may not have left Odette but I don’t think he’d be the disappearing dad either. Although I kept thinking if she’d just ask him to leave Odette and stay with her he would have. I read some kind of interview that Logan’s family was going to play a big part in the Revival, but I only saw Mitchem once. Maybe it was eluded to that Logan wasn’t with Rory because of his family. I don’t know.

• I agree with you. I don’t buy Logan being Rory’s Christopher. They are such different characters. Not to mention Christopher appears to have been there full time for Gigi. AS-P seemed to ignore all the character development of Logan in season 7 and just pretend he was the d-bag he was in the beginning. However Matt Czuchry played it with as much compassion as he could. It really seemed to me like Logan was waiting for Rory to ask him to leave Odette. I think he would have dropped everything to be there for her and their child. Even if she didn’t want to be with him, which I doubt because she relied on him so heavily through this revival, Logan still would never abandon his child. AS-P should have let whatever bitterness she has about season 7 go and write a fitting ending

16. Kelly Brennan says:

Fantastic interview! Did you get answer on why the opening song wasn’t used at all?

17. Carolyn says:

Thank you!! Love Amy, love her writing and speaking (and hat) style. This article was needed and necessary. Wishing the Palladinos luck with the Amazon pilot! And then we can discuss the revival of the revival…

18. Mel says:

Also, ASP, if you didn’t want people to focus on Rory’s relationship status, you should a) have her do something of note in those 8 years; b) during the show, had her actually spend an extensive period of time single, instead of always being with a guy; and c) not have her do so many dumb things, like sleeping with the wookie LOL.

19. Kare says:

The revival wasn’t even good. Rory is a mess at 32. Being Logans mistress isn’t appealing.

20. Jason says:

Well, I hope it met Netflix’s expectations and they ask her to do some more. Maybe in a couple years. But soon enough that we can pick up pretty much where we left off.

21. april-ann says:

My four words: Liking season seven more.

22. Luli says:

Obviously she is bitter about Season 7, but I actually enjoyed that season and thought the finale was a great way to end it. I recently rewatched the whole show, so I have a fresh memory about those last seasons and thought S7 was more enjoyable than the seasons where ASP had Rory and Lorelai fighting fooor sooooo long.

• Brandi says:

I agree. Everyone is so focused on how bad season 7 was because ASP left, but season 6 was worse in my opinion as well. I didn’t like the Lorelei and Christopher getting married thing, but I also kind of feel like they had to try at some point or it would have been a hanging question mark forever. But the fighting between Rory and Lorelei was worse and keeping them apart past her 21st birthday. And Rory dropping out of school like that….it was all just so wrong.

• April says:

Seriously. Season 7 didn’t introduce us to characters like April, TJ, etc. They got dealt the odds of Lorelai sleeping with Chris etc. It wasn’t a perfect season but it had cute parts like Lane’s shower, Chinchin’s funeral, the graduation party etc.

• ComeOn says:

While season 7 doesn’t have the same feel and tempo as ASP’s, all the story lines are logically progression of the characters. Lorelei and Christopher has to happen before Lorelei can move on from that what-ifs. Lorelei and Luke finding their way back together because Lorelei realizing how much Luke will always quietly loves her and her kid. Rory doesn’t fight Mitchum and her not asking Logan to have their own life together, are all consistent with Amy’s story in the revival. If anything all the characters seem to have mature and developed more in that single year span then the 8, 9 years since in the revival.

23. El says:

If you can, please ask about why Luke & Lorelai are still having the same problems (“April’s mine”, communication/lying etc.) as they were 10 years ago & why ASP thinks a wedding is a satisfactory answer to those problems. Thanks Michael!

• Mel says:

Thanks! I’m so pissed at Luke for that comment on April’s mine when he says he feels like “Rory was always a little bit of his”. His attitude with keeping April for him made them broke up last time in season 6.

• ComeOn says:

Exactly! Marriage and having kids are never the solution to relationship problems. Lorelai and Luke not communicating after all these years together its just wrong. And Lorelai and Rory treating April at arm’s length was just weird after all these years. Even if they are not close they would have know April is more nerdy than Rory and completely clueless about popular culture and probably life in general. The way Rory live text April and Rory’s conversation to Lorelai is just cruel.

24. Michael Bailey says:

Have watched year twice already, and loved it, slightly less for the musical, but reading this I think I’m missing something. WHAT LETTER!!

• Kelly says:

When Emily and Lorelai are in therapy Emily mentions a nasty letter Lorelai sent her years ago. Lorelai denies ever sending any such letter. It isn’t brought up again though so we don’t know what was in the letter or who really sent it–I believe it was in Spring.

25. David says:

I was torn on the revival (being a fan from the pilot and having watched the series probably 3 or 4 times over the years). But my one big issue is the look between Mitchum and Rory at the restaurant. I interpreted as (Mitchum’s thought) “I told you you didn’t have it kid” (Rory’s thought) “He’s thinking how he told me long ago I didn’t have what it takes to be a journalist” and I was thinking this revival has proved Mitchum right….and I never wanted that for Rory!

• ComeOn says:

While I enjoyed the revival very much, Rory’s professional life disappointed me the most. ASP could have Rory achieved or on her way to her life plan, but feeling lost and unsatisfied triggered by the death of her beloved grandfather and decide to try something new like co-writing a book with someone crazy like Naomi. Disappointed after getting what she thought she ever wanted and than decide to change career path would shown Rory’s agency, rather than proving Mitchum was right. And for her to first said no and then ask Logon to ask Mitchum for a favor, that just make her proud and stupid.

26. Chris says:

Why the mystery about who’s Rory’s baby daddy! We all know Logan is the baby daddy since she slept with him after her wild night out with Logan and his Life and Death Brigade buddies from Yale, and before Rory told her mom that she’s pregnant!

• Kelly says:

totally hoping The Wookie is the baby daddy

• Brandi says:

I’m totally hoping the Wookie was Jess in disguise. Although, that seems beneath Jess. But here’s hoping!

• DCrunnergal says:

I know she said don’t rule anyone out, but if the wookie was the dad, she would have been at least 6 months pregnant when she told Lorelai. She had her one night stand with the wookie during the spring episode.

• lkh says:

what about Paul, or Pete, or whatever his name is…we forgot about him like the GGs did. Everyone says Logan or Wookie…hmmm Could be the forgotten man…

27. Laura says:

So Lorelei isn’t a letter person…. except she left a letter to tell Emily and Richard she was leaving with Rory. The episode is even called ‘Dear Richard and Emily’…

28. Amy says:

I’m having a lapse–what letter are they referring to????

• Carolyn says:

During therapy Emily accuses Lorelei of once leaving her a terribly nasty letter, which Lorelei denies, saying she admits she’s done some terrible things but never that. Honestly I think it was Richard’s mother.

29. Abby says:

They didn’t know how season 7 had ended until they started working on the rival? Really? Is anyone buying that? I love this show but ASP talks some nonsense.

30. Kirk says:

Please explain to me why everyone has to get political? It’s a TELEVISION SHOW. As much as we would like Stars Hollow to be a real place and the girls to be real people, they are not. In their world Taylor Doose is basically the supreme overlord of everything so the president doesn’t even really matter. Whether you’re thrilled or feel victimized by the election results not EVERYTHING has to be political, as shocking as that may seem.

• Carolyn says:

Honestly referring to the presidential election in the reboot would have been 100% completely relevant. During the original series, Rory and Paris both frequently talked about how much they worshiped Hilary Clinton, and don’t forget the series ended with Rory joining the Obama campaign as a journalist. I thought It would have been interesting to see how Rory’s life turned out because she covered a successful campaign and how ecstatic she would be that Hilary was running.

31. Chloe says:

2 questions I would still like answers: why wasn’t there more closure for rorys love life? (The lack of scenes with love interests other than Logan frustrated me) and why wasn’t Emily there for lorelai’s wedding? Feels like it goes back to square 1 when their relationship is supposed to have evolved. Those were the 2 things I was most disappointed in

• MMD says:

1. Because there is no such thing as closure because life has a tendency to get in the way of the best laid plans. I am sure that there were a lot more men in Rory’s life than those 3 in the past 10 years – we just didn’t see or hear about them.

2. Emily was going to be there for the main wedding the next day along with the entire town and anyone else who was invited. They decided to get married spur of the moment so they could enjoy private ceremony which they wouldn’t be able to do when they had the big shindig the next day as they would be more relaxed.

32. DW says:

Not a big fan of the Rory emulates her mother’s life journey. That seems very unimaginative for such creative writers. If they really want to showcase Rory and her life they should ditch this absurd Rory is Lorelei and Logan is Christopher idea ASP! Rory is a lot like Lorelei but Logan definitely is not a Christopher in any way, shape or form. Let Rory develop her own way, not just a repetition of her mother’s life.

33. It sounds like I am in the minority here but I LOVED almost every second of it. The final four words left me cheering.

34. Amanda says:

Been waiting for interviews with Amy and confirms a lot of what I took away from the revival. Unlike a lot of fans I really liked it and the ending going full circle. Made sense to me. I too hope we’re getting more episodes and besides Rory’s baby storyline and love life there is still more to wrap up like who gave Emily that letter and I felt like Paris’ story wasn’t done. It depends on the actors schedules and after Amy gets her new series done but being a “Sherlock” fan and knowing Amy got inspired to makes these mini-movies off it I can be patient to wait for another season.

• MMD says:

I really enjoyed it as well and I watched it on Friday and Sunday. The only thing that I fast forwarded through the second time around was the Life and Death brigade. I even watched the entire musical twice.

35. Sassypants says:

My burning question for ASP, why was Richard at the mall on Loreali’s 13th birthday? Was he there to get her a gift or what? Not exactly where I would picture him… Lol

• MMD says:

Maybe he was getting a haircut or had a client who worked in the offices above. I agree with you though, I can’t see him just shopping. LOL

• Jamee Delosa says:

I was waiting for his girlfriend to appear. That would have been a massive secret forLorelai to have kept all these years. That Richard was having an affair and that was the reason why her relationship with her dad was always strained.

• DCrunnergal says:

He was getting a pretzel, I think. She said when she looked up, he was holding a pretzel.

36. MMD says:

You know, for a revival that so many people were so anxiously waiting for I am surprised at all the criticism. Real life is messy and people’s plans, goals, and futures can change in a second. People die, get sick, lose jobs, get jobs, get divorced, marry, hit rough spots but life still continues all around you.All the nitpicking is truly unbelievable as this was the Palladino’s show and they wrote it how they wanted it to be, not us. I’m just grateful that we got these 4 chapters.

37. Kim R says:

This interview left me disappointed. Yes, life is fluid but this is a TV show. Just like reading a book, there is usually resolution at the end. And yes, it is about Rory but because she announced she was pregnant it automatically involves a boy. She didn’t say she was gay or going to be a doctor etc. which would indeed be all about her but she said she was pregnant. That doesn’t happen alone. It leaves us all with a question. The lack of growth in her character made me sad. It reminded me of the popular girl in school who seemed to have everything going for her, ending up living with her mom at 40. It’s just sad.

38. April says:

How amazing it must have been for you to sit with the creator of Gilmore Girls at a coffee shop and discuss the show!! That’s like a dream. What an amazing experience!!!

As for the revival, I consider myself a super fan and I was disappointed with the revival. I felt a major quality difference from the original series. Quite a few plots started and never further developed while others went on way longer than they should have. I have many comments but I will just touch on a couple for now.

Rory became a total and utter mess and it was very difficult to want to even root for her. I get that the character has to have some flaws and ups and downs but ultimately I ended up disliking her much more than liking her which should not be the case for a show like this. I also really disliked the lack of using Jess in the episodes. The interactions between him and Rory were bizarre. She couldn’t even get out of her seat to hug him at the Gazette office and her acting in that scene (and many others) was lacking any emotion. Poorly done.

One final minor thought. Mr Kim was not always there as written above. We saw family celebrations, Lane’s wedding, Lane coming into the Kim household to kiss her mom while she was sleeping at night, etc and Mr Kim simply was not present for any of it. He must have a job that he is out of town 99% of the year and leaves Mrs Kim to essentially raise and support Lane singlehandedly.

39. April says:

I can’t wait to read further follow up interviews with ASP!

40. Emily says:

I am a hard-core GG fan. I watch between 2-4 episodes every day. And have been doing this for 5+ years. So when I say I’ve watched the entire series through 20+ times, I’m not exaggerating. That being said, I know these characters very well. I remember everything they’ve said. So seeing so many Rory moments that were out of character is quite upsetting. Yes, Rory cheated in the past, but she learned from her mistake. She told Lorelai when she was on the phone with her in Rome that she screwed up and she had to fix it (referring to her affair with Dean). When she thought Logan cheated on her with the bridesmaids, she knew how wrong it was. When she just kissed Jess at his open house, she was upset with herself for “cheating” on Logan. And we can’t say that she didn’t view it as cheating because Logan was just engaged, not married, because when Rory accused Lorelai of cheating with Chris, Lorelai said “he wasn’t married to Cheri” and Rory said “he was engaged!” So Rory knew she was cheating. And I can’t imagine an 8 year more mature Rory would be ok with this.

It also frustrates me that we never see Rory reading a book in the revival! The only scene we even see her with a book is one of the summer pool scenes. And its just laying on her lap! What’s with that? This is not the Rory we know and love!

41. Sharon says:

As to money, Rory was also supposed to have a trust fund from great granny. No worries about money, realistically, with the Gilmore name behind her.

• DCrunnergal says:

Right! I was wondering why she was broke. She must have been quite the spend thrift to have run out of her trust fund in 7 years (it was supposed to be available to her when she turned 25). Plus, I’m sure Richard left her money in his will…He left Luke money for goodness sake, why wouldn’t he leave some to Rory?!

• ComeOn says:

She is “broke” as in she can’t support herself with her earnings. Or may be her trust is conditionals? But she is in her 30s, truly her late great grandmother is not holding the money up forever.

• L says:

This drives me crazy as a criticism. How can fans pick on this and keep forgetting that great grandma revoked the trust fund when she (great grandma) saw Emily and Lorelei arguing at tea? It was the entire wrap up to that story but everyone forgets that detail.

42. blondie1713 says:

I found it ironic and sad, given how hard Lorelai worked, and how much support Rory had (and how driven she always was!) that the writers would choose the “History Repeats Itself” story line. It’s kind of a slap in the face to all of the adults in Rory’s life, and to Rory! And yes, it was less believable because Rory is now 32, and not 22, but still – UGH. Also, the idea that “Logan is her Christopher, and Jess is her Luke” – come on. Too much. Today I watched the interview of Matt Czury on FB live. Someone asked “if you could say one thing to Logan, what would it be?” His answer: “Dump Odette, and chase Rory down. She’s the love of your life.” Amen. On the other hand, Emily’s story and the tribute paid to Richard were well done and extremely touching.

43. Jessica says:

does no one remember the fact that Rory has a Trust fund that went into action when she turned 25 with a significant amount of money in it… she really probably doesn’t need to worry about much of anything.

• ComeOn says:

A quarter of a million I think was mentioned by Lorelai from Rory’s great grandmother, the first Lorelai Gilmore. Not L&BD level, but enough for her to look into Queens real estate like she was talking about in the revival near the end. Also her dad would probably set up a trust fund for her after agreeing to only pay for Yale, since he said he set up a huge trust fund for Gigi after he received his inheritance.

• L says:

I mentioned above: This drives me crazy as a criticism. How can fans pick on this and keep forgetting that great grandma revoked the trust fund when she (great grandma) saw Emily and Lorelai arguing at tea? It was the entire wrap up to that story but everyone forgets that detail.

• Jennifer says:

Actually, you’re wrong. Lorelei the 1st only revoked giving the trust right then for school. She did NOT revoke the trust. As Richard stated in (I believe the episode was entitled “Welcome to the Dollhouse” he controlled the trust until she was 25. He was thinking of changing the terms to get Rory to go back to school.

Again, great grandma only revoked the timing of the trust, not the trust itself.

44. Rebecca Ethridge says:

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting to like this tv show. I was like “Gilmore Girls was amazing but it ended, why can’t y’all just leave it at that?”, but then I watched it. I literally watched all 4 (nearly 2 hours long each) shows and I fell in love with it. It was AMAZING!! Blew my mind how great they did this show again. I’m already waiting for season 2 to come out or more episodes of season 1. It leaves with a cliffhanger so I’m definitely ready for the next episodes.

45. the one thing I think they missed about Rory’s journalism job was that she could have taken that local paper to the web, and lived off of AD revenue. I also think this should have been something that Rory should have done when she realized that no jobs were going to come. like many other people I have always had this idea in my head of what RORY stood for and while she occasionally needed support from people like everyone always needs. I just assumed that with the fall of print and the inability to get a ‘paper’ job. Rory would have just gone out and made a professional blog.

It is strange to see her at such an apparent old age and have nothing happen. I had to keep reminding myself that Rory was 32 and there was a large gap of time between the last season and the Netflix one. honestly it would have made a lot more cannon sense if they had just continued. being reminded that Rory was 30 and that she needed to be in the “30 club” didn’t make much sense. wouldn’t the bright and intelligent women who reads newspaper and keeps up to date with pop culture and the like have known that print was dead and if she wanted to be a reporter she would need to go online. it seemed slimy that she was so awkwardly went to the online blog job interview. this is Rory we are talking about. academically minded Rory who never forgot how to be prepared until she magically turns 32 and can’t remember how to be her awkward, nerdy self.

no wonder she didn’t get that job the person that appeared was Alexis and not Rory.

what do you think?

46. Pam says:

Would like to see more Gilmore Girls!

47. Nan says:

More GG please!!! 🙏😢 begging here!!

48. Pedro says:

So glad she didn’t handle season 7 now.

49. Paige says:

If the plan all along was to have Rory become pregnant, and allude to her becoming a single mother herself, why didn’t ASP make her at least a little maternal?! When she was babysitting Paris’ children, she was on the phone the entire time. She paid no attention to them! And she was really freaked out when Sookie was pregnant.There’s nothing wrong with not being maternal, but I just find it odd knowing how Rory’s story ends. Also, I highly doubt there is going to be another revival, so why is ASP being so cryptic? I need CLOSURE!!

50. Lucy says:

Is Jess suppose to be like Rory’s Luke then?