Katherine Heigl stars as Sadie Ellis in DOUBT to premiere during the 2016-2017 season on the CBS Television Network Photo: Mark Schafer ©2015 CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved

CBS Sets Dates for Katherine Heigl's Doubt, Training Day, Next Amazing Race

CBS has unveiled its midseason premiere plan, and Grey’s Anatomy grad Katherine Heigl will start raising Doubt on Wednesday, Feb. 15 at 10/9c, a week after Code Black sews up Season 2.

Doubt stars Heigl as a brilliant attorney who falls for a client (Rescue Me‘s Stephen Pasquale) recently accused of murder. The ensemble also includes Laverne Cox (OITNB), Dulé Hill (Psych), Dreama Walker (The Good Wife), Elliott Gould (Ray Donovan) and Kobi Libii (Alpha House).

Among the Eye’s other scripted fare, Ransom — an international coproduction starring Holby City‘s Luke Roberts as a renowned hostage negotiator — will debut Sunday, Jan. 1 at 8:30, before moving to its regular Saturdays-at-8 time slot, while the Training Day adaptation TRAINING DAYfronted by Bill Paxton (Big Love) and newcomer Justin Cornwell will bow Thursday, Feb. 2 at 10 pm, after Pure Genius wraps its 13-episode run; that cast also includes Katrina Law (Arrow), Julie Benz (Defiance), Marianne Jean-Baptiste (Blindspot), Drew Van Acker (Pretty Little Liars), Christina Vidal (Code Black) and Lex Scott Davis.

The series and season premieres of Superior Donuts and Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders are TBA.

Turning to reality-TV: Undercover Boss heads back into the trenches for an eight season on Wednesday, Dec. 21 at 8 pm, while Survivor Season 34 opens Wednesday, March 8 (after the previously announced Hunted competition wraps its freshman run in the time slot).

Lastly, the long-delayed, 29th running of The Amazing Race won’t step off the starting line until Friday, April 21 at 8 pm (one week after MacGyver closes its freshman run).

1. debbinla says:

What’s up with the delay of Amazing Race?

• Roadblock says:

Terrible ratings for TAR because I’m the only one who still watches it. That’s why it has been delayed. I think it will either be canceled or become a summer only show.

• ekolint48 says:

I still watch too!

• dman6015 says:

The move to Friday night killed it.

• Tim Church says:

Not hardly. In a way that’s ironic for a show so based on speed (outside of the 12-hour difference between legs ending & starting), it has died a slow, painful death.

First, they tried to fix falling ratings by getting people viewers recognized from other shows (not realizing that on most shows such as “Big Brother” or “American Idol”, the best-known/recognized ones are those viewers are the ones viewers hate). Then, they tried another tact, that being getting people from popular YouTube videos/channels (not realizing that even celebrities such as Jeff Dunham who tout their high viewing-numbers realize the majority are additional viewings by the same people, not new viewers as they might be for theater films).

I think they should go down in a blaze of glory, with a final season also called “The Amazing Race”, where cast & crew try to get away from being attached to the show. (Phil, for instance, can go to his show I’ve long missed, “No Opportunity Wasted”.)

• jp says:

I and several people I know watch. but the last season was really bad. I hardly was interested. They have to mix up the ages and types of people or it is just bland. I don’t care about people who make Youtube videos and the like. The need to go back to basics and I think to get people back pick out the craziest most popular people from the past. I would love to see those hippie guys that were so much fun. or Myrna and Charla. Maybe a reunion type show to see where people are now. SOMETHING!

• dryedmangoez says:

Yeah, the ratings have been absolutely horrible unfortunately. Definitely didn’t help that the the producers and CBS have been phoning it in the last couple of years. =(

• Butch says:

Basically its this year’s Person Of Interest. I expect like Person, CBS will announce this is the final season before it starts . I was a fan of the show but didn’t watch the last season with the internet stars as that didn’t interest me. Hope they have good contestants this year.

• Ben says:

It actually turned out to just be like any other season of the Amazing Race. The fact that they were ‘internet stars’ was relevant for all of about the first 15 minutes.

• James says:

You missed out on a great season.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

They need to stop trying to include “famous” people and just stick with regular folks. And maybe stop going for people so freakin’ annoying. The last several seasons, the number of teams I’ve actively hated has outnumbered the number I barely tolerate, and I’m happy if there’s one I actually like.

• jp says:

Somewhat agree but I do remember some scallywag team in the past that po’d me when they did not want to eat something gross so they twisted a rule and decided to get another team to sit out the challenge and of course the other team started later so that gave the first team an advantage. Something like that it made me mad but then look I still remember it and it was brilliant. We need some teams of smarties like that again.

2. Lola says:

Dang TAR doesn’t return until late April? Boo.

3. GuessWhat says:

wow — nearly a full calendar year without THE AMAZING RACE — crazy!

4. Brian says:

Ugh, at Amazing Race not airing until late April.

5. Billy meacham says:

How has survivor lasted this long is beyond me!
    Going to give doubt and training day a watch when they premiere, but since training day is on Thursday, it’ll be lucky to finish one season. Look at rush hour.

• Jessica says:

Survivor has a very loyal and dedicated fanbase

• Butch says:

Apparently it has. Doing what is essentially the same contest over 30 times and still having millions of people interested in the outcome is amazing in itself. The same could be said for the Amazing Race, Big Brother, and many other “reality” shows.

• jp says:

yeah and then they take big brother to their digital home so i for one did not watch. I wonder if TAR will go that route. Hope it fails miserably.

• Ben says:

There’s a couple of reasons why:

1) For the last four or five years, it has reached and maintained a creative peak where the producers have figured out how to keep the show unpredictable (mostly by creating as many overlapping alliances as possible before the merge through shaking up the game in various ways); and

2) Unlike many reality TV contests, this one has meaningful ways in which contestants can get the better of each other and deserve to win – in the end, it almost always leaves you with people to root for and root against.

When Survivor first came on, it was my favourite show. Then it waned for a while, in the middle years, where it really felt stale. Now it is back to being my favourite show on television.

• Leanne says:

Survivor Has lasted because it’s good show as far as reality tho not as good as it used to be. The only one that tops it might be The Voice Dancing with the stars is boring idol sucks Watched America’s got talent last season and seeing who won
      Last season it must be a rigged. Never watch that one again plus nick cannon is a terrible host. Reality TV has run its course I think

• MaryA says:

Well maybe TAR Would have had better ratings if it got the same royal treatment that Survivor gets: plenty of advertising; a 2-hour season finale – always followed by a reunion show! Most important: a better time slot other than on Fridays. 🤔

6. I read that Amazing Race 30 has not filmed and may never film. I think TAR is done.

• dryedmangoez says:

Unless TAR29 miraculously experiences a huge ratings bump when it returns or CBS has the heart to let the show go out with some dignity with some big final season, TAR (US at least) is unfortunately dead.

• Butch says:

A final season consisting of all previous winners might be good but people might have less interest in people who have already won a lot of money.

• dryedmangoez says:

Yeah, even before CBS held TAR29 off the fall schedule, there was talk that TAR30 would be some sort of returning racers season. And after May’s upfronts, the talk turned to TAR30 being a good round number to end (at least, for now, maybe) the show with featuring the very best All-stars from all 29 seasons.

I think there’s 2 things that will determine whether the show survives after TAR29:
          1. Whether or not “Hunted” takes off or flops
          2. Whether TAR29 can at least maintain ratings above a 1.0

7. Brian says:

When was the last time a network had a scripted show on Saturday besides cancelled burnoff?

• emor says:

For a show that was ordered straight to series, being dumped on Saturday should tell you all you need to know!

• Butch says:

Prefer to be optimistic and think CBS is trying to reclaim Saturday where back in the day shows like All In The Family, Mary Tyler Moore, the Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett shows aired.

8. Catherine says:

Such a short season for Code Black!

9. Kevin says:

Zero interest on Doubt which could be another failure for Katherine Heigl and I hope that the TV version of Training Day is going to last just one season tops. Shame on CBS

10. bos4ny3 says:

What’s the over/under on Katherine Heigl’s fantabulous new show? Does this woman have NSFW photos of EVERY showrunner in Hollywood?

• Iris says:

I don’t like her, to put it politely, but she does have a fanbase and a loyal one at that.

• Temperance says:

I think she’s fantastic, and I’m far from alone. I’m not sure about this show (as a show), but I’ll give it a shot.

• QYW says:

I don’t get the hate for her. I’ve liked her in other things and I never watch Grey’s, I think that’s the medical show she was on. Some people just like to be unpleasant–maybe “shame” on them. Yikes. I’ll give it a look see. Not a fan of reality, so anything else is fair game.

• jp says:

I don’t care about her either way but I think she comes off as kind of cold in her demeanor. And why was she doing a cat litter commercial this year? Is she needing money that badly? Did her boyfriend invent the stuff?

11. Eric7740 says:

CBS killed The Amazing Race when they moved it to Fridays, it was doing okay on Sundays. Survivor has maintained decent ratings because its adding different aspects to the game or switching up the theme, which keeps people interested. To my knowledge, TAR has kept the same formula and hasn’t really added any new elements to the show.

• Ben says:

I think TAR did worse when it tried to switch up the theme. Themes work on Survivor because they influence gameplay. But that just doesn’t work on TAR.

• Butch says:

TAR needs interesting challenges. It’s less fun when the reason a team loses is because they got a bad cab driver or they are wandering around looking for something they can’t find or eating something disgusting. Challenges should be amusing for the audience and show off the areas being visited. Memory challenges may be difficult for contestants and might change the outcome of the game, but they are not interesting to watch on TV.

• jp says:

I find it amusing that after so many seasons people still don’t prepare by learning how to read a map or how to drive a stick or maybe some rudimentary basic languages like spanish, french. It’s like they never watched it ever and then showed up! that’s whats amazing about the race!

• jp says:

I think if you saw a history of it you would see changes – they had a family edition one year, they added Yield after a few years, they changed the use of the fast forward after several years, switchback did not come into place until way into the series, the uturn did not exist at the beginning. They have in fact added and changed all along the way.

12. btm says:

I had not realized the cast of Training day was so stacked with great actors. I’m going to have to check it out.

13. Brock Hard says:

This seems like the end for Amazing Race. Might as well just burn it off in the summer.

14. Joey Padron says:

I’l check out new shows Ransom and Training Day.

15. Dan the critic says:

The Amazing Race is the best show on TV.

16. Luis Roman says:

Has CBS set the date for “Doubt”‘s cancellation yet?

17. N says:

I’ve been waiting a YEAR for Doubt

18. KLS says:

The scheduling for Ransom is curious. A Sunday @ 8:30 slot implies that CBS is trying to steal some of that NCIS:LA momentum for their new show (smart), but then moving it to Saturday to jump start a new night seems odd.

19. jill says:

I’d pretty much watch anything with Dule Hill except a Hiegl series with a lame concept. Love Dule, Psych remains one of my all time fave shows!

20. Tim Church says:

Honestly CANNOT believe anyone would give CBS a shot at a “Training Day” series after they managed to quickly kill the “Rush Hour” TV version, even with Wendie Malick being watchable again & great work behind-the-scenes by Steve Franks!

21. dman6015 says:

Well, I “Doubt” that Heigl will have a hit with this one, either.