Teen Wolf Spoilers

Teen Wolf Boss Previews Emotional Final Season for Scott's Pack, Talks 'Limited Access to Dylan O'Brien'

The final season of MTV’s Teen Wolf, kicking off Tuesday at 9/8c, will have everyone asking, “What the hell is a Stiles?”

“We approached this season with the knowledge that we’d have limited access to Dylan O’Brien because of his burgeoning movie career, and thinking, ‘If this is the last 20 episodes of Teen Wolf, how do we give everyone a really big send-off?'” executive producer Jeff Davis tells TVLine. “We came up with this story that creates this big mystery about Stiles and the memory of Stiles.”

The theme of this final season, Davis explains, is “how your life can be affected and changed by one person, and what that loss means. It’s all about memory, and how memory shapes us.” And that “one person” is O’Brien’s character, who — as revealed in the trailers for Season 6 — becomes “erased” from existence by the dreaded Riders; their backstory will become clear “towards the climax of the season.”

(Bonus fact, via Davis: “The title of the first episode is ‘Memory Lost,’ which is actually a title stolen from a feature script I wrote a long time ago about memory loss.”)

Speaking of honoring people’s memories, Davis says there’s been a lot of internal discussion about “which characters we want to bring back for the last 20 episodes,” adding that Kira “comes up a little later in the story” and that her return is “not outside the real of possibility.”

As for fresh faces, there’s a hot new teacher — a redundant description, I know — at Beacon Hills High who happens to be harboring a supernatural secret. A really, really old one.

“We have a joke that Beacon Hills High School should be a lot better at background checking,” Davis says of Mr. Garrett Douglas (played by Pete Ploszek). “If they looked into his background, it would go all the way back World War II. … You see him in a flashback in the trailer, bearing his fangs.” (Suddenly all that talk about Nazi werewolves makes a lot more sense.)

Generally speaking, Teen Wolf‘s final outing will continue to push Scott’s pack forward, while still honoring the people and moments that got us all here — a delicate balancing act at times.

“There’s one episode in particular where we dive back into the past, for a very plot-driven reason,” Davis teases. “It’s hard not to start looking back, which we do, but we’re trying to stay away from the kind of series finales where it feels like a role call of every character who’s been on the show. We still want to keep it new.”

What are your hopes for Teen Wolf‘s final season? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Jason says:

I can deal with Stiles being lightly represented in the first half of the season but I hope his presence in the back half is much stronger. I’m going to be bummed if it doesn’t end with Stiles and Lydia together.

2. Dominique says:

i would really appreciate it if jeff davis wouldn’t bait the fans so much about past characters coming back, given how many actors have already said they’re not returning for the final season. it’s just pathetic at this point.
    i understand they couldn’t use dylan every episode and i’m excited to see stiles’ storyline. i just hope we won’t go weeks without a sight of him.

• Dysturbed says:

It isn’t unheard of for actors to claim that they will not be appearing on/returning to shows in any capacity in order to get people to stop expecting it and therefore hopefully be surprised when it actually happens. Whether or not that ends up applying here (as opposed to them legitimately not returning) is of course unknown, but again, historically we can’t always take denial at face value.

• Phoebe says:

The denials came from the actors not Davis who has always had a problem with the truth!

• Sherika Marshall says:

The actress that plays Kira Yukimura, Arden Cho, made a tear filled vlog about how she definitely wasn’t coming back to the show because she was suddenly told close to when I presume they were in the works for beginning to film for season 6. It’s not a ploy for these actors to come back at some point, it’s disgusting baiting, like it’s one thing to ask your actors or actresses to keep it under wrap when they’ll come back and they refuse to answer questions about it, but it’s another thing when the actors themselves have to say “we aren’t coming back.” It’s poor writing and management on Jeff’s part.

3. Jay says:

So long as Allison is back before the end, I will be happy.

4. michelle says:

Resurrect Allison. Thats all I ask.

5. Lois says:

I just hope we don’t feel Stiles’s absence too much in 6b, even though I know Dylan hasn’t got much time to film. It would be really sad to end the show with so little of one of the core characters that made us fall in love with the show in the first place.

• Ditzy-D says:

I agree. I am not expecting to see a lot of Dylan especially new footage but I hope his absence is not glaring obbious.

6. dancmh says:

I hope Holland Roden picks up a nice CW gig once this is over. Serious props to her for sticking this out until the end.

7. Bill says:

Is the season going to be split in half?

8. Hazel says:

ow well…i wont ever forgive you davis if you make me miss stiles,,,he and scott are teen wolf and without both of them teen wolf really wont have an impact… just make sure we see how really powerful scott is with his pack esp malia…and stiles has to be there,,he just has to be there

9. Phoebe says:

Dylan O’Brien has confirmed to fans that episode 6a.10 is his final episode he is NOT in the last 10 episodes, at least no ‘new’ footage. Stiles might appear in ‘flashback’ to previous seasons or a ‘lookalike’ represent him in distance shots. (They advertised for a Stiles lookalike early in the year). In fact the ‘flashbacks’ is likely to be the way Davis is bringing characters ‘back’ since Tyler Hoechlin, Daniel Sharman, Colton Haynes, Crystal Reed and Arden Cho among others have said they’re NOT returning.Seriously why bother to even make a season six, anyone worth watching apart from JR Bourne, Linden Ashby and Ian Bohen are gone!

• Skip says:

Teen Wolf has always been about protecting friends and family and their home Beacon Hills. The series end should be having the characters standing up tall and proud. It should be a battle to end all battles and with the evil supernatural creatures knowing to stay away from Beacon Hills , or they are dead meat

• THAT’S FALSE RUMORS NO WHERE IN ANY WAY DID DYLAN O’BRIEN SAY THAT OTHERWISE IT WOULD BE EVERYWHERE NOT JUST HERE AND I’VE SEEN ALL OF HIS INTERVIEWS SO SHOW ME LEGIT PROOF WHERE DYLAN O’BRIEN SAID THESE EXACT WORDS.

• I CAN’T EVEN FIND IT ONLINE SO I DONT KNOW WHERE YOUR GETTING YOUR INFORMATION FROM BUT THAT’S NOT TRUE DYLAN O’BRIEN HAS LIMITED ACCESS TO FILM TEEN WOLF YES BUT I DOUBT HE WOULD NOT FILM NO EPISODES IN 6B AS FANS WOULD BE UPSET.

10. Sexylove06 says:

I loved the first episode so far and I hope to see more of Stiles and Lydia romantically cause they’re connected.

11. Allison says:

Why are u ending teen wolf it is such a great show

• Spencer says:

I have been asking the Same question

• Jan Viktor Havel says:

Teen Wolf is losing breath since season 3. It’s sad, but it’s the truth, and if you’re not a hardcore fanboy/fangirl, you can see that as well. The only reason I keep watching it is that a) I’m a curious human being b) there are no vampires in the series. Ever since the show lost the high school vibe (lacros/couch/greenberg/school loves etc.) It just went to the territory occupied by other well written shows, such as Supernatural. And if I want to watch Supernatural, I’ll watch Supernatural, you know. Yes, new episodes are well written, it’s a great horror show, blah blah, but the old Teen Wolf vibe that made me love the show is gone, and as you see the numbers drop, you can see that a lot of old audience feels the same. It’s a shame, but there is nothing you can do about it…

12. Ishi says:

Find out who’s first name?

13. millie says:

I want Allison back!! :(

14. GEORGIA says:

It would be great if you bring Derek Hale back for the season finale…. Since he’s related to Malia and Peter. And is a close friend and helped Scott through so much…

15. Young rex says:

I just hope its something we will never forget