Quantico Recap Season 2 Episode 6

Quantico Recap: Hold the Drone

Need to catch up? Check out last week’s Quantico recap here.

If United States federal government agencies are run using the type of decision-making process featured in this week’s Quantico, we’ve got far bigger problems on our hands than who amasses the most electoral college votes on Tuesday.*

For reasons I do not understand, the CIA recruits are given the task/responsibility of figuring out whether or not to order a drone strike on a terrorist. Like, an actual drone strike, with death and everything. And sure, Owen surprises them by having the final say in the end… but wait: Why is a guy who’s been in the classroom and out of the field for 15 years calling the shots here, anyway?

So many questions — and that’s only in the past timeline, which coincides with the year anniversary of Simon’s death. What takes place in the present is a doozy, too. So let’s review the highlights of “Aquiline.”

*No, actually, we don’t have many problems bigger than who wins this year’s presidential election, so let’s all vote, OK?

BAD INTEL | In the past, Harry still desperately wants to know what Alex and Ryan are up to at the CIA. So they ask Shelby and Nimah for a cover story… and are told to come up with one themselves. Um, OK? Thanks for the help! But the handlers do suggest that the story play on some personal and/or painful part of Harry’s past, which will help him believe it. So Ryan tells the MI-6 operative that they’re investigating the suicide of a recruit — Sebastian inadvertently tipped Ry off earlier, saying that the Brit has had “real pain” in his life because his boyfriend killed himself — but Harry knows it’s a ruse. Even better, he admits that the story he told Sebastian was fake… and he’s unaware that Chen is right around the corner, eavesdropping.

By the way, this all takes place during a drill in which the recruits have to decide whether or not to order a drone strike on a terrorist. It’s merely an academic conversation at first… until Lydia and Owen put everyone on a transport and take them to Langley, where the actual strike will be ordered BY THEM. I realize it’s a lesson in what you’d really do in a situation rather than what you say you’d do, but good GOD. All the exercise at The Farm showed us is that they can walk around authoritatively, holding binders!

Quantico Recap Season 2 Episode 6Anyway, Alex says no to the strike from the beginning; ultimately, Ryan and Harry stand with her, and because the decision has to be unanimous, the recruits say no. Then Owen says yes, and the bombing happens. Later, he reassures the group that the terrorist they took out was truly a bad man — but then reminds them that they won’t always have the moral high ground to comfort them.

Later, in their room, Harry tells Sebastian that he was really lying to Ryan, and that the story about the suicide was true. But his roommate coldly says he doesn’t care.

R.I.P., SIMON | All of this takes place on the one-year anniversary of Simon’s death, which, in the Jewish faith, means its time for the unveiling of his gravestone. Shelby, Nimah, Ryan and Alex all pay the grave a visit after dark (there was an official ceremony during the day) and place their rocks on top of the stone while Nimah recites the mourner’s kaddish. (Bonus points, Nimah, for knowing the whole thing off the top of your head!)

Also relevant, moving forward: Shelby and León are boning, and Nimah knows and she thinks that Shelby should go undercover as she goes undercovers with the photojournalist.

And Lydia refuses to help her dad with his takedown of those responsible for yanking him out of the field. She says it’s because he’s out of touch and a bad agent, but it’s also a little bit about how she wants him to be happy just to be around and be her dad.

THE ROOM WHERE IT HAPPENED | In the present, the terrorists throw the remaining hostages into a room, where they all discuss why they may be of interest to the Citizens’ Liberation Front. There’s a lot of yelling and disagreement, but they eventually realize that most of them were in Indonesia at some point in the past year. Leigh is forcibly removed when she mentions that she had a flight stopover in Surabaya; when she’s tossed back into the room, her collar is activated and she dies a bloody, terrible death. Then Dayana pulls Raina close and confesses that she, too, was in Surabaya and doesn’t want to die… just as the two of them are marched out of the room and separated. But once Raina catches her breath, she tells her masked captor, “You were right. Dayana may be one of them.” And as she removes her headscarf, the camera pans to show the actual Raina tied to a chair in the next room: The twin in the room for at least part of the time was Nimah!

Meanwhile, Lydia tells Alex that the terrorists are in possession of some computer drives holding sensitive information; the member states taking part in the summit brought them in good faith to the conference. Eric Boyer was brought in to decrypt them, but we all know how that went.

NOT SO SAFE | So the pair heads for the safe holding the drives, which can be opened by a code on the satellite phone Alex took from one of the terrorists. It seems all along like Lydia is telling the truth — she even needs Alex to help her once her collar activates — but it turns out that she was faking (she activated her own collar, which Alex learns just before her former instructor knocks her out).

When Alex comes to, chained up, Lydia says she’s CIA and she needs to secure, not destroy, the drives. “I’m so glad I didn’t become who you are,” Parrish spits, vowing to kill the woman the next time she sees her. “You won’t see me again,” Lydia promises, pulling an alarm on her way out and virtually ensuring that the CLF will find Alex ASAP.

1. Matt says:

That is Raina tied to the chair, not Nimah. You mixed up the names

• Anna says:

Again, I’d add.

I usually like her recaps but she’s been sloppy lately. The show must be getting on her nerves too.

2. Jake Maroney says:

Can someone/anyone explain what’s going on? I was a big fan of last season but this season has left me frustrated:

Many of the characters we grew to like last season are missing or heavily sidelined.

The new characters all have secretive pasts, making it hard to like them or care what happens.

Every episode has characters seemingly changing their allegiances without reason so far.

The blue hue in the current timeline makes it hard government see sometimes.

There are never answers, we only get more questions. Or if there is a small answer thrown to us, it leads to more questions.

I’ve decide that I a man giving it until the fall finale and if I’m still this frustrated, then I a man going to have to drop Quantico.

• Vijay Bollarapu says:

The main essence of the show is to maintain the secrets and revealing as the timeline progresses. It was the same type in first season and the essence remains the same. I personally am liking the second season more because both the time phrases are a sort of mystery which is more gripping. I wish you never drop the show and regret later 😉

• Carla Krae says:

Read the producer interviews on EW each week. They’ll clarify the season. Look for Quantico postmortems. They’re posted every Sunday night.

3. Ben says:

I like this season but it is kind of confusing. Would love to get to the point where it starts to make sense.

4. Alyse says:

What I got from this episode that wasn’t mentioned in the recap was that Lydia was the one who got Alex thrown out of the farm. Ryan stayed and rose in the ranks. Owen is in a federal prison.

5. Its simple objective is to help anyone with a chronic illness to
    stay a productive, wholesome life.

6. zee zee says:

I am confused by what Human said synthetic end about Database “she may be one of them.” Who is them?!

• zee zee says:

Stupid spellcheck. ..by what Nimah said at the end…

• Obinna Ngwobia says:

She is probably implying that Dayana may be one of the A.I.C they’ve been investigating a year earlier. If that’s so, that means the Citizens’ Liberation Front has been a charade in order to fish out the A.I.C. Well, they will keep us guessing until the tail end of the season.

• Zee Zee says:

That’s what I think, but I would find it hard to believe that the CLF was a charade to flush out the AIC. Why would they think up something that ended up with the first lady getting decapitated?! Or maybe the President of the US is in on the charade and wanted an easy way to get rid of his wife :-) (Now I am thinking like the Quantico writers!) I think it is more likely that there are people on the inside who “joined” the AIC but are double agents working against the CLF. (Why didn’t Alex take off the helmets of the people she killed?! You’d think she would want to know who they are.) It doesn’t make sense to me why they had to tie up one of the twins if it turns out they are both working against the CLF. Maybe the original twin is actually working with the CLF. I want to know how the heck the second twin got an identical outfit as her sister. The first sister was still wearing the same clothes when we saw her tied up. Did the second sister spy on the first sister to find out what she was wearing that morning (before the CLF stormed the summit) and then run home (or to a store) to get a matching outfit? Viewers can only suspend their disbelief so far!

7. Quantico1 says:

Here’s my theory. In the present (not at the Farm) Miranda is continuing her ongoing investigation of the AIC, which was less than fruitful in the past at the Farm. Several of the “terrorists” are actually undercover operatives working with the FBI at Miranda’s direction, including Alex and Nimah. We didn’t see much Booth in the last episode. I suspect he is one of the under-cover operatives. Jakarta was clearly a meaningful place/trigger word, though I suspect we won’t find out the significance until later on.

8. sunflower says:

At least I’m not the only one who is super frustrated! Without the recap I’m totally lost. Losing interest and I used to love that show. MUCh too complicated remembering everyone’s storyline. And every minute someone is found to be a traitor, come on! That’s not even one percent realistic…

9. tallsy says:

This show is really struggling. They threw overboard half the cast for a completely dull group of new people. The plot makes no sense. The acting (never the show’s strong point) has managed to get worse.

Last season this show was a social media success and a moderate ratings performer. Why all the changes?

• F Lee Adama says:

Follow the followers. They’re fakes.

Twitter-audit Priyanka’s followers and look to see how many fakes there are and then get back to us with “social media success.”

The placement of the concept in the culture that this show is a “hit” is, by far, the strongest work that anyone connected to this show has ever done. That is the big lie.

10. F Lee Adama says:

lol I think someone should check their IP filters for padraicjacob and Jake Maroney

hmm

11. Emma says:

If Alex is so keen to find out who the terrorists are, why doesn’t she remove their masks when she’s killed them? Isn’t that a rather obvious course of action? I really liked this show before but now I’m just so frustrated, there are so many holes in the story and it’s driving me crazy.

12. Tony says:

This episode made me realize why I liked the cast from season 1. Simon was one of my favorites and now he’s gone…

13. Paco says:

This show gets more ludicrous by the week. Only watching now to see how they try to tie some these ridiculous plot lines up.

14. Michelle says:

It seems to me that all they did was recycle last season’s plot only with weaker characters .
    I loved last season , but this one I’m not sure I can finish.

15. Susan says:

Congrats all you brain surgeons who understand this fractious ill conceived series.