greys anatomy season 13 episode 7 recap

Grey's Anatomy Recap: Job Insecurity

Saving lives almost took a backseat to saving livelihoods in Thursday’s Grey’s Anatomy. As soon as Catherine brought in a consultant to evaluate Grey Sloan’s residency program, doctors from Richard on down were forced to wonder whether the next thing they were handed in the hospital was gonna be a scalpel or a pink slip. Did anyone actually get axed, though? Read on and find out.

greys-anatomy-season-13-episode-7-recap‘HEADS ROLLED’ | As “Why Try to Change Me Now” began, word was just beginning to spread around Grey Sloan that an evaluation of the staff’s methods was about to be made by Dr. Eliza Minnick (Marika Dominczyk). When Alex groaned that this was happening because of him, Meredith insisted, “Everything isn’t about you. That doesn’t even make sense.” Then, of course, he reminded her that he — a teacher — had beat up DeLuca — a student. “Oh,” she had to admit. “That makes sense.” At the same time, Leah was panicking her fellow residents, pointing out that, naturally, Bailey’s email hadn’t sounded scary — the chief wasn’t about to “BCC a mass firing announcement to the entire staff.” However, scary was exactly what Minnick was. She’s “kind of a legend,” Murphy said. Stephanie, for her part, suspected that Ben was the reason Minnick was being called in.

‘IF I’M YOUR STUDENT, GOD HELP ME, RIGHT?’ | While Richard was learning from Bailey that he wouldn’t be introducing Minnick around since she was already at work, she was talking to the residents, asking them “who you love, who you hate” and reassuring them that, “This room is a vault. Nothing leaves these walls.” (Speaking of walls, watching from outside, a forlorn Webber appeared to read some writing on one.) Later, Richard grilled Andrew about the residents’ meeting with Minnick but only found out that it had been “interesting.” After Eliza stepped on Meredith’s toes in the ER, she went to Webber and told him, as director of the residency program, to kindly “direct her — to the door!” Maggie, meanwhile, was perturbed after swiping Minnick’s notes to see that the residents had ranked her last among the attendings!

‘IT’S MY DECISION TO MAKE’ | Having observed Minnick in action, Richard asked Bailey to intervene. When Miranda refused, he said fine, he’d inform the consultant himself that she was to “observe and nothing more.” Only then did Bailey reveal that “that’s not the deal,” that, in fact, Minnick had been tasked with making a decision about the way the program was running. “Are you giving her my job?” Webber asked. No, Bailey insisted. She wanted Minnick to work with him. “Medicine is changing constantly,” she said. “Change along with it, or get left behind.” Yikes. In the end, when Bailey pointed out that the decision was hers to make as chief, Richard reminded her that he’d fought to get her that job.

‘MY BRAIN IS MELTING’ | That evening, Bailey admitted to Ben that she needed reassurance that she was doing the right thing (which he sweetly gave her). The following day, Maggie urged Leah to tell her if there was anything she could do to help her learning, and Murphy admitted that her mentor could slow down. Shortly, Pierce’s determination to win over Minnick led to her letting Leah take the lead during a risky surgery. Eventually, it got to the point where Murphy didn’t “feel ready to do this,” so she tagged out, DeLuca tagged in and dealt with a nicked artery. Ultimately, no harm was done, but Webber still hit the roof, prompting Minnick to defend her methods as infinitely more effective in the instruction of the residents.

‘I SWIPED LEFT’ | Over the course of the day, Arizona, Maggie and Nathan learned that April was on Tinder (and being pinged right and left!). She even said yes to one guy, awkwardly right as she bumped into Jackson. That evening, she and her ex navigated the weirdness of her going on a date, and pretty well, especially for them. The next day, she reported that her date was “pretty amazing” — so much so that they were gonna go out again that night. Later, he asked if maybe they could not talk about their dating lives, and she admitted that actually, her date had sucked. That night, he managed to encourage her to keep dipping her toe in the dating pool.

‘THIS IS STILL HAPPENING?’ | Amelia’s reluctance to confide in Owen resulted in their working relationship — imagine that! — becoming remarkably tense… in front of Minnick, no less. She even began sleeping at Grey Sloan, which is never a good sign. After hearing that the wife of a patient wanted to stay overnight at the hospital because, in 20 years of marriage, she and her husband had never slept apart, Amelia tried to kiss and make up with her husband. Alas, by then, he was too pissed to do so, and at last, she blurted out, “I don’t wanna have a baby.” When she showed up at Meredith’s, Alex tried to throw her out to take care of the sword hanging over her head but softened when she informed him that the sword had fallen.

‘SHE’S AN ASS, BUT SHE’S RIGHT’ | As the episode drew to a close, Maggie admitted that, as smart as she was, Minnick wasn’t wrong about her. On the flip side, Arizona pled her case to Eliza as “a rare exotic bird” and found out that the pilfered list hadn’t been a ranking of any sort, it was just a list of names. (She also found out that Minnick had noticed her lovely face.) Right before Richard expressed to Bailey his new willingness to work with Minnick, Eliza told the chief that she was seriously considering coming to Grey Sloan. If she did join the staff, however, “I don’t share authority,” she made it clear. “I am the authority.”

So, what did you think of “Why Try to Change Me Now”? Do you hope Minnick will stick around? Do you like her as a potential love interest for Arizona? Hit the comments.

1. kn1231 says:

Well, Minnick is going to take some getting use to. If they plan to have her involved with Robbins then she has to get better, right? I still feel like there may be a Robbins, Murphy, Minnick triangle going. We had Robbins/Murphy vibes last week and now we have Robbins/Minnick vibes. Hope I’m wrong because I want Arizona to get a love interest she’s going to stick with for the rest of the series with minimal drama.

Also, we are getting the Owen/Cristina storyline all over again. I didn’t love it the first time, doubt I’ll love it now. But I do think Amelia will eventually come around, unlike Cristina.

• Cat says:

Difference between Christina and Amelia – Christina didn’t want children period, Amelia doesn’t want a baby because she is afraid to have another encephalitic baby. If Amelia opens up about her past to Owen they will probably get past it and maybe even have a baby.

2. Claire says:

I’ll like Eliza if she doesn’t get the Chief fired. Her methods make sense, and she seems like she’ll have good chemistry with Arizona. They should share the job.

3. Nikki says:

Well that was one boring episode.

4. 777 says:

She’s a better choice for Arizona than Murphy, but i still wish they’d bring P. Sawyer back.

• Samantha says:

I was thinking the same exact thing.
      P. Sawyer brought spunk back to an enjoyed Robbins…which we all know is now a plot hole but that’s besides the point.
      Thought the action with Minnick, it might just be the same firework. I want my Arizona back. Definitely don’t want her with Murphy.

• Mareesa says:

Omg yes. Where is DR LAUREN BOSWELL?!

• Crys says:

Yes, yes, yes. Bring her back. I didn’t know who you all were talking about! Lol. I just want them to bring back the girl she cheated on Callie with (I kinda hate to say that but she was the only person who made Arizona truly smile through the whole ordeal with grieving her leg) and then a quick trip to IMDB and realize we are all asking for the same person!!! On another note: I know the character of Amelia annoys me still, but her major storylines are BORING me!

• Luli says:

I was so confused when I read P. Sawyer… I actually thought you were confusing shows, then I rememberd she was a Dr in season 9 (???)….

5. Brooke says:

I’ll definitely be more into Minnick and Arizona than Leah and Arizona…I hope that’s where we are going with Minnick

6. Sam says:

Does anyone think that the guy April goes out with is gonna end up being Jo’s abusive ex? Seems like the kind of twist that shonda would pull- it would really push the actors to their limit.

7. KK says:

I’m sorry.. Did the writers somehow forget all of season 9 when Meredith, Arizona, Cristina, Derek, and Callie bought the hospital? How was Dr. Minnick able to be hired without notifying any of them? And if they were so bothered by her, couldn’t they just call an emergency board meeting and vote her out of there?

• Sam says:

PREACH SISTA!

• Jill says:

I get frustrated with that, too. I still think Catherine has the majority vote, but I’m still shock Meredith, Arizona & Alex don’t through their voting power around more.

• melaniedhi says:

Same way Riggs was hired without the need for their approbation. An hospital board doesn’t have to vet every single hiring… Especially as those guys don’t strike me as usual board members that woud want to be part of any decision.

8. KTBee says:

I love GA, but are there brand new writers this year? Most of the primary cast seem way out of character. It’s disappointing.

9. I fear Shonda created Minnick just to give Grey’s Anatomy a character that fits in better with the TGIT brand and all of the despicable and irredeemable characters on HTGAWM and Scandal. Why does she insist on making most of her characters horrible people, Grey’s Anatomy doesn’t that.

10. Luli says:

What’s up with Meredith getting so little screen time?? I thought this was the season to focus on the originals….
    Loved all the Japril scenes, I need them to get back together!!!

11. N says:

Japril… That’s it got me

12. Bonnie says:

No, I think Minnick is unlikable and should not stick around. She isn’t a good love interest for Arizona because she’s obviously too bossy and would be butting heads too often. I think Meredith should have called a board meeting to force Minnick out, especially since she was such an interference in Meredith’s surgery. After all they Dr. Webber has done for this program, he doesn’t deserve to be tossed out like some sort of relic.

• Eran says:

She’s been on all of one episode! Should she have been burping out unicorns??? Be patient for heaven’s sake. Let a story arc set itself up.

13. melaniedhi says:

Loving this new character… But, is Meredith doing anything else than complaining? So far this season I’ve had a hard time standing her.

14. Red Snapper says:

I thought it was an okay episode. It didn’t really grab me. I did like Minnick, sort of. I do like the pairing of her and Arizona better than Arizona/Murphy. I also loved all the Jackson and April scenes. I want them back together, they clearly still love each other. I am getting really annoyed with the Owen and Amelia story line. It is way too similar to Owen and Christina. I want Owen to be happy and to have the family he so badly wants. Amelia knew this before she married him. She knew what he went through with Christina. At least Christina knew she would never be able to give him what he wants and let him go. Amelia needs to do the same if she truly doesn’t want a baby. I do think that she will change her mind though. Owen deserves to be happy and the writers just need to stop torturing him.

15. Chris says:

Minnick’s Millenial Friendly teaching by doing method makes me rather scared about going to the hospital in the future. I really hope this style is Shondra-verse and not akin to real like,

• Kelly says:

I know right! I read a post above that says her method makes sense, and I’m all, “whoa, not on me or my family!”. I don’t want someone 1 year out of med school doing anything to me! I think in Mer and them’s first year, they rarely let them even hold the clamp and now they are wanting them to “tag in” to surgeries. No thanks! Now I never want to go to a teaching hospital!

• T. says:

On the episode, they encourage the residents to step whenever they feel incomfortable. Moreover, if they don’t start actively participating in surgeries suring their residency, then they will never learn and thus producing incompetent surgeon. Would you rather have an attending operating/supervising a surgery with lots of experience or no experience.
        Since the residents can stop at any moment so that the attending can take over and since the attending is closely watching in order to intervene when needed, I feel comfortable.

• Tennisnsun says:

Me too. How else are they going to gain experience? Plus newer interns often have fresher ideas to share if the staff is willing to listen. Point of the whole episode…

• ClarkKent_DC says:

I’m glad they’ve addressed this problem — Grey Sloan Hospital is LOUSY at teaching. The approach to teaching there is “You don’t know anything, so get out of my way, I’ll do it myself.”

For example, how was Stephanie supposed to learn how to do a surgery by spending the whole time under the gurney watching to see if a bandage falls off? Good thing for her Minnick pointed out how stupid that was and had her actually participate. Likewise with how DeLuca clamped the bleeding artery in the other surgery.

Weber, Bailey, and the others pride themselves on teaching, but they’re bad at it.

16. Jami says:

Man give Arizona more screen time. Her one liners are the best. I am so hoping Minnick and Arizona get together. I noticed how Minnick looked at Arizona through the glass window, at first I thought they new each other when Arizona said scatter after their eyes met. Then the elevator scene was cute. I hope Minnick is there to shake up things. Grey’s needs some new energy and chaos.

17. ggny says:

Are they hinting at Amelia and Alex?

18. T. says:

Regarding Eliza Minnick:
    1. I love her
    2. Yes, Bailey made the right move. It’s a good thing to bring an external point of view in order to analyze a situation. Moreover, Eliza being a consultant, she can actually compare the G+SMH to other teaching hospitals and help them catch up to the best standards. She would not replace Richard definitely, but more on a temporary basis to bring up the hospital to the right level. We see this in every company. I have witnessed it, and it’s for the best. The biggest problem has always been people being okay to say “yes” to change but actually never changing because they always did things one way. Moreover, this would be beneficial to the hospital as it would attract more, and probably better students, as well as create better surgeons.
    3. The technique of teaching by doing has always been the best for me, this is how I actually learn. To the people who say they would not like to be operated by a resident, this technique has an attending explaining to the resident what to do and being a back in case of need. Otherwise, new attendings would lack the actual technique.
    4. The chemistry with Arizona is already great. As a fan of Calzona, I am actually okay to move on. Clearly, Eliza is a confident person that would be beneficial to Arizona’s life.

19. DarkDefender says:

Solid filler episode. I hope Minnick is another Arizona “love interest” red herring (like Leah) I wouldn’t even be surprise Minnick and Leah hookup.
    Is it just me, or are they are doing a worse job hiding Caterina Scorsone’s pregnancy than they did hiding Ellen Pompeo’s first pregnancy?

20. Jamie says:

Confused here. Are we supposed to want to see more of Minnick? Bc Grey’s doesn’t really invite in multifaceted characters that are this one-note for their entire first episode. Usually the one-note characters stay pretty one-note. If I didn’t know that she was supposed to stick around, I would probably forget about her by next week’s episode (maybe I would have forgotten the whole boring episode tho). I can’t tell if it’s the actress or the writing, but I’m already bored of her…

Also, I know it was supposed to be funny that Owen sat underneath the table during Amelia and Steph’s surgery to check to see if the patient’s guts fell out, but they couldn’t have an intern do that? He is the head of Trauma Surgery – did he really not have any patients to see during that entire surgery? That was kind of silly.

• Tennisnsun says:

Why should an intern/attending sit under the table when they could be learning something above the table? Owen was on hand if they needed him. They should work as a team, not by ego.

• Jamie says:

Interns should be learning, but it’s still primarily a hospital, even if it’s a teaching hospital. People come there when they are hurt, and it would be ridiculous for someone not to be receiving care during this who knows how many hours long surgery because a trauma attending is doing something that someone with way less experience could do on their own. Could a first year intern perform surgery by themselves? Nope. Could they run the trauma department on their own? Nope. Could they take care of the ER on their own? Nope. This has nothing to do with ego, but rather the fact that patient care shouldn’t be compromised all day. I surely don’t want to go to a hospital where I have to wait even longer for care just because they have surgeons doing something that interns can do.

• T. says:

Patient health was not compromised, Amelia was attending the surgery. Stephanie is welcome to ask for help or stop anytime she wants and Amelia can takeover at any time.

• Jamie says:

I didn’t say the patient who was on the table was compromised. I said patient care was compromised because there was a hospital full of other patients waiting to see a doctor, and the head of trauma should have been working with any of those patients instead of sitting under a table all day doing a job that anyone else could have done. That’s irresponsible hospital management.