Post Mortems
greys anatomy season 13 episode 6 post mortem caterina scorsone

Grey's Anatomy's Caterina Scorsone on Owen's 'Dangerous' Love and Amelia's Changing Relationship With Alex

In Thursday’s mega-emotional Grey’s Anatomy, Alex saved himself from the pink-slip that Catherine insisted Bailey issue him by coming up with a way to save a terminally ill cancer patient’s baby (if not the mother-to-be herself); to Arizona’s chagrin, a more confident Leah returned to Grey Sloan, specifically to study cardiothoracic surgery with her inspiration, Maggie; Andrew suggested to Jo that she could do better than “bad guy” Karev; and Amelia… good God, poor Amelia!

After pressing PAUSE on her and Owen’s baby-making plans, the new Mrs. Hunt lost a 12-year-old patient who’d been injured when his dad gave in to road rage, confessed to Alex what she’d never told Derek, Meredith, even her husband — the whole story of her son’s tragic 43-minute life — and appeared determined not to open up to her better half. Is not only the honeymoon but the marriage over? Let’s ask Caterina Scorsone, whose performance as the beleaguered doc was impressively raw.

TVLINE | Why is Amelia so reluctant to be honest with Owen?
I think that she loves him and admires him as a human, but as much as she talks a good game, there’s a big piece of her that wonders if she’s worthy of his love. Also, to give him what she knows he wants [a child] means confronting really, really deep traumas and fears for her. She was kinda hoping she could keep those pieces of herself sealed off from one another, but she’s realizing that that was overly optimistic and that, actually, the way over is through.

TVLINE | This feels very make-or-break for the Hunts. Is it?
She believes it is going to be for him. And she would really like to be everything he wants her to be, and she’s suddenly terrified that she can’t be. There’s no faking it, and she can’t live up to his expectations of what a wife and mother would be in his life. She’s going down the rabbit hole here!

greys anatomy season 13 episode 6 caterina scorsone post mortem interviewTVLINE | Is she just delaying the inevitable by keeping him at arm’s length?
At this point, she’s still very much trying to manage the situation. She doesn’t know why she’s reacting the way she’s reacting exactly, so she’s been trying to kinda keep it contained and when [she loses her young patient], it sort of all boils over.

TVLINE | And with Alex, of all people.
I don’t think she meant to say anything to him [about the son she lost]. I mean, they don’t have a relationship of that nature up to this point. But it was almost like the dam broke, and these memories and this communication that she didn’t even will to happen, happened. Now, there’s almost no going back from it, but she’s trying to buy herself some time so she can tamp her pain back down. She probably doesn’t want to be near Owen. His love is dangerous.

TVLINE | Does this change Amelia and Alex’s relationship going forward?
I think it does. She kind of sees him as someone who might possibly understand her feelings of shame and unlovability. She knows that, of everyone in the hospital, he’s got some demons like she does, and he’s been on the periphery. Right now, he’s actually on the periphery in terms of being stuck in the clinic and having this court case going on. So he might get her in a way that a lot of the other doctors who are so fantastic and sunshiny might not.

TVLINE | Will we get to see Amelia smile sincerely again this season?
[Laughs] I would hope so, but I haven’t read that script yet.

What did you think of “Roar,” Grey’s fans? Are you hoping Amelia and Owen still might be visited by the stork? Are you more relieved that Bailey didn’t sack Alex or concerned about Jo and DeLuca’s growing closeness? Hit the comments.

1. Pamela says:

I found Delucas behavior towards Jo in this episode to be a bit creepy, i wasn’t liking his vibes at all. I really hope the writers don’t put them or Amelia and Alex together romantically.

• Amber says:

What if they pull a “90210” and have Deluca rape Jo after all the drama is over so no one believes her?

• Pamela says:

I was thinking about them pulling a 90210 but I think that would be too much even for greys.

• H says:

No, but more important news…..TVLine SCREWED UP!

It was announced that Bridget Reagan would be in this episode, but they confused her with another red head, Bridget Brannagh from Army Wives.

• GermaNick says:

Well, I think they try to heat up the Alex-Jo-Deluca-Triangle before it blows up with her secret marriage and Alex’ court case, maybe even bringing Jo and Delucca together (what I really wouldn’t mind – I’m sick of all whiny, egocentric and secrets hiding Jo -_-, Alex deserves someone strong and caring).
      The thing between Amelia and Alex is imo their troubled past they still have to deal with every now and then. And I get that – Meredith had her own problems, but always found a way to handle them, while A&A are more into putting them just aside.

Btw. I like how Amelia and Alex finally get their own storylines, last season felt like they were just recurring characters in the big Meredith-story (although I loved the season!).

2. Amber says:

How is it possible for so many garbage people to work in one place? Just about everyone is the worst kind of person.

3. Tony says:

I wish she would trust Owen. Her son and the circumstances surrounding it would hardly be a deal breaker

• Pamela says:

I agree, after all she did MARRY him after all :)

• Courtney says:

Agreed. I’m so confused as to why Owen would hate Amelia because her son died? He’s already accepted the fact that she’s a drug addict and lost her old love to an overdose.

• abz says:

I think she’s scared he’ll hate her or be pissed because she doesn’t want to get pregnant again as she’s too traumatized from her pregnancy and she scared to go through that again, but she knows just how much he’s wanted a child, especially since he never could have one with Cristina as she aborted the baby. So she’s really conflicted. She doesn’t want to hurt him, but the thought of another pregnancy terrifies her.

• Jessica says:

Then why get married to a man who has ALWAYS made it clear he wants a family? Its selfish and annoying. I jus want Owen to get his child!

• abz says:

Well I can agree with you that this marriage shouldn’t have happened. They’ve barely dated and part of their relationship was Amelia’s relapse and they only just recently got married and are trying to have a baby. It’s all very fast and seems like a recipe for disaster I think.
            If the writers were hell bent on it happening, they should have taken it slow. I think most people knew the second they got married that the show would create some drama like this because they barely fully got to know each other and rushed into this marriage. However, i disagree with you in that I don’t think Amelia is being selfish at all here. I think she genuinely wanted to have a family with Owen, but if you’re familiar with her background and watched her on Private Practice and seen the trauma she went through during her first pregnancy, then you can understand why she’s scared and hesitant to go through another pregnancy. She’s conflicted because she wants to make him happy, but at the same time she’s very traumatized and what she thought she wanted, she’s now second-guessing. Anyways, who knows? Her fear of getting pregnant again doesn’t necessarily mean she doesn’t want another family. There is always adoption. In the end, they both need to sit down and actually talk, but like many relationships in this show, no one ever wants to talk to anyone and they let things fester. They aren’t behaving like a married couple should and communicating and that’s obviously because this marriage was too rushed.
            Side note: They’re both Shonda Rimes/ABC shows so I wish they would give flashbacks to Amelia’s time on PP especially for those people who barely know her and what she’s been through. Anyone who hasn’t seen Private Practice should at the very least check out Amelia’s intervention episode. It was phenomenal.

4. Bianca says:

Owen knows about the baby! She told him in season 11, in the chapel, when April lost her baby. She said she never told anyone, but she told him. I can’t believe the writers forgot all about that

5. Luli says:

This episode was sad. I’ve been crying a lot with the patient’s storylines… Caterina was great in that last scene with Alex. I’m looking forward to some bonding, and more sister scenes (i miss those!). Don’t like Deluca at all, didn’t like him at first, and I still don’t like him (nothing to do with his storyline with Alex). And I can’t believe they are going to go after Webber!! I’m guessing the new Consultant is going to oversee the resident program and check what’s wrong.

6. N says:

Amelia’s “unicorn” baby was so sad on Private Practice

7. abz says:

The patient stories still make me emotional after 13 seasons. I like Deluca and I’m not a fan of how his story is being intertwined with Jo’s. She’s become so unlikable. I feel like the show is headed somewhere where they will turn Deluca into the bad guy in favour of Alex and while I love Alex, I really don’t care to see something like that happen.
    This Amelia stuff is pretty heartbreaking. And while I’ve never really been a fan of Owen, the show keeps pairing him with women who either don’t want children or too scared and traumatized to go through another pregnancy. I was never for this pairing from the start and it’s starting to look like I might be right. Also, I’ve pretty much always been a fan of Meredith, but I’m over her constant whining over Amelia. Haven’t we dealt with this already. Didn’t they kiss and make up? And Amelia’s been out of that house for a while now and we rarely see them interact as much as before so she really needs to get over it.
    Side note: when Amelia was telling Alex that no one in her family knew I wish she would have said something “No one in my family knew, not Derek, just Addison.” I’d really love to see Addison and Christina visit again. Sandra Oh is coming back to ABC anyways to do American Crime. Shonda, please try and make it happen!

• Martina says:

I totally agree with what you said! Especially regarding Amelia and Owen. Didn’t like them from the start and I am So annoyed by their constant drama. Please don’t do the Cristina “doesn’t want kids” story all over again… Actually they had the oerfect woman for Owen with Emma in season 10 or something… But he left her because she wasn’t Cristina *rolleyes*.
      On the other hand, I really do believe they are endgame now. Pretty sure they won’t break them up now that they are married. Unfortunately.

• abz says:

Yeah, I’m thinking they won’t break them up either especially after they just did the whole divorced but still having a baby together thing with April and Jackson last season. They’ll probably have a blow up over that fact that she doesn’t want to get pregnant again since she’s still traumatized from the first pregnancy and they’ll either decide to adopt or in the finale or some random episode, she’ll discover that she’s pregnant and they’ll get through it together. Or maybe they’ll pull a Mike & Molly and while they’re adopting, she’ll find out she’s pregnant again.

8. kn1231 says:

I guess we’re not getting a general Greys recap, so I guess I’ll post my thoughts here, but they don’t pertain to anything discussed about lol.

I was too excited to see Brigid Brannagh tonight! Now all I want to do is rewatch Army Wives, which was definitely my guilty pleasure Netflix binge a couple years ago

But about the episode, it seems they are setting up the Arizona/Leah thing, which I will reserve my judgement on for a few more episodes. I still think they should bring back Hilarie Burton.

9. I don’t know why Owen would hate Amelia for this? It’s so confusing to me. Maybe she mean he’ll hate her because she doesn’t want to have kids because it’s too painful?

• Hb says:

Because it’s well known he wants children. Pretty sure the root of his and Yang’s problem was she didn’t want kids and even had an abortion. So Amelia knows how important having a kid is to him and she isn’t so sure she wants one now.

10. Marc says:

Was I the only one who didn’t even realize Meredith’/ absence until the end. Only a show as special as this can make you forget about the namesake. TBH though kinda needed a break from Meredith.

• shane says:

Yes, totally forgot her. She was just in the opening and at the end. Well, that’s how GA works. They balance all the series regular every episodes. Some got more times and some don’t. And this rotate every episodes without leaving one character not on air.

This is why Season 13 still get high viewers :)

11. Nya says:

I cried so much durong this episode!

12. Vivian says:

I have been a faithful fan since day 1 but I’m almost ready to call it quits. I have hate this season so far. It’s not right the way they have already treated Alex and i’m bout ready to say Goodbye

13. Chandler says:

She told him about her baby in the chapel in Season 11, Episode 11 after Jackson and April lost their son. This doesn’t even make sense.