Emily Blunt Hosts SNL: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches

After an opening monologue that encouraged the studio audience to “get happy,” Emily Blunt‘s episode of Saturday Night Live just made us sad.

The Girl on the Train star played a series of thankless characters throughout the evening, including an undesirable sex worker and an obnoxious Great British Bake Off contestant. She was also present in a series of sketches which appear to have doubled as sponsored content, playing both an insufferable Burger King drive-thru customer and a demanding robot caterer at a Honda event.

Perhaps it’s no surprise then that the highlight of the night was musical guest Bruno Mars, who gave the episode a much-needed boost of energy with his new single “24K Magic.” It’s no “Uptown Funk,” but the showmanship was undeniable as Mars began his performance backstage and danced his way out towards the audience with an evergrowing posse.

Though we wish we had better things to say about the episode overall, it wasn’t a complete bust. With Alec Baldwin back in another top-notch debate parody, and the return of a fan-favorite Kate McKinnon character to Weekend Update, there were at least a few laughs to be had. Don’t believe us? Just watch the following highlights:

BEST: PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE NO. 2
Baldwin and McKinnon were terrific here, especially when playing up Trump and Clinton’s non-handshake and Trump’s apparent decision to hover behind his opponent at all times. McKinnon was especially funny when she attempted to show off Clinton’s “human side,” modeling her “casual lean” before walking over to an undecided voter “just as I practiced.” (Watch and discuss the sketch here.)

BEST: OLYA POVLATSKY on WEEKEND UPDATE
McKinnon’s best recurring character made her first appearance of the season, where she weighed in on the U.S. presidential election. After expressing how she could relate to Clinton after watching the latest debate (“I have also been attacked by a dog for 90 minutes straight”), she offered up her hilarious take on the Access Hollywood tape scandal (“That was so hard to watch… a whole bus for just two people!?”). Later, she recreated Lou Bega’s 1999 smash “Mambo No. 5” with lyrics about a different Monica from her war-torn hometown in Russia.

BEST: CHONK
On the page, this one probably looked like a loser, but its abrasive voiceover put it over the top. When the commercial’s narrator revealed that the name of the women’s clothing store was “CHONK!,” we nearly lost it. Subsequent mentions only made it funnier.

WORST: ELEGANT EVENINGS
For the second week in a row, one of the worst sketches of the evening followed the monologue, with Blunt and Leslie Jones cast as a pair of escorts with very specific do’s and don’ts. While Blunt’s Melanie suffered from a severe Vitamin D deficiency, which would require several milk breaks during sex, Jones’ unnamed escort touted her inability to role-play as anyone but Stewie from Family Guy. The only laughs in this otherwise mundane sketch came directly from Blunt, who broke character twice reciting a catchphrase Melanie would use during sex.

WORST: MELANIANADE

Cecily Strong’s Melania Trump and McKinnon’s Kellyanne Conway could have been put to better use, but were instead wasted in this parody of Beyoncé’s “Sorry.” Blunt’s Ivanka Trump and Sasheer Zamata’s Omarosa didn’t add much to this music video either, with the only laugh generated by Vanessa Bayer, who, as frequently forgotten daughter Tiffany Trump, declared she was changing her name to “Tiff Maples.”

WORST: HAMSTERS
We’re not exactly sure how this asinine sketch made it to air, even if it was at 12:55 am. In it, McKinnon and Beck Bennett played bickering hamsters whose marital issues prevented them from getting to know the furry new additions (Blunt and Alex Moffat) to their cage. The studio audience was silent for long stretches throughout, becoming most audible when they cheered the segment’s conclusion.

What were your favorite sketches of the night? And what missed the mark? Hit the comments and make your picks.

1. Billy says:

From the Hamster sketch critique it seems like someone has never seen Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

• Mark says:

I laughed when I realized they were doing Virginia Woolf, and then not a whole lot after that…

• LAwoman says:

I loved the idea of Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf with hamsters, just not as much the execution. But I still didn’t think it was one of the worst.

• I thought the Virginia Woolf sketch with the hamsters was brilliant writing and was the best takeoff of Virginia Woolf in SNL’s long history!

• dman6015 says:

Find me three millennials who even know what “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf” is, let alone its dialogue, and I’ll vote for you for President.

• Will says:

here’s 1

• GMG says:

here’s another – I am surprised the author didn’t understand the sketch.

• girlwiththedragonairtattoo says:

Here’s 3(but to be fair I’m writing an academic book chapter on this play, right now). I thought it was a really nice tribute to Albee and it made me happy to see someone tip their hat to him since I was feeling a little down about his death. I assume this writer has a background in writing/English, so I’m surprised he didn’t get the references.

2. Missy says:

I actually really enjoyed the episode, especially the “I’m Sorry” parody and the debate. Both had me ROFLMAO!!!

3. Mark says:

I loved the Vanessa Bayer character during Update, too.

4. peterwdawson says:

Olya Povlatsky never did it for me, probably a reason I thought MacKinnon was overrated for a while. While she’s grown on me, the character still hasn’t. Ah well, her Hillary’s still pretty good.

5. Amanda says:

I enjoyed the monologue. Who doesn’t want a happy break!? Puppies!!

6. Simon Jester says:

I normally like Emily Blunt, but apart from the debate cold open, this episode was dull as dishwater for me.

7. Renee says:

Your off point the Melaniande video was sexy, funny, and teenager hysterical as a spoof of Beyoncé’s Lemonade. We loved the Maples reference. Show saver.

8. Jane says:

Wholeheartedly disagree with calling Melaniade worst skit of night. His comments suggests clearly that yes he watched Sorry but no, he still does not understand what that video means and why both the original and this spoof are good.

9. GuessWhat says:

Great cold open.
    D+ for everything after that.
    OUCH

10. Ian says:

Im a bit tired of Olya. She’s been overused. Is she a Stefan? No. McKinnon’s still a genius though.
    And Melania Moments was short and sad and hilarious, and I actually liked Hamsters. McKinnon and Bennett sold that I thought. And after she licked the nozzle of that water bottle, I kept waiting for her to do it again!

• Ian says:

Oh, and I loved Sink too. Emily’s best sketch, which might be an insult Im not n sure. Also, her ooey-gooeying in McKinnon’s ear for that robot sketch was funny.

11. A. D. says:

After 2 stellar episodes, this one sucked….Here’s hoping Hanks/Gaga episode rebounds us!

12. Love the Blunt!! Bruno Mars 24 carat Lip-sync ! Unfortunate on a live show. The second performance was “live”

• flutiefan says:

not sure what you were watching, but i have it on now and he is performing live.

• I think you’re right about the lip-syncing by Bruno Mars, although I’m pretty sure that both of his songs were either entirely synced or at least extremely “sweetened.” The audio was just too clean and perfect, especially the backup vocals on Chunky (go the the official SNL site and listen–if you’re a pro musician, you should be able to tell that those four singers were NOT producing the sound you hear there). This isn’t a criticism of Mars or the other performers–they looked great (especially the choreography), but I’m sure it wasn’t purely “live.” I remember the times when people made a big deal about non-live music on SNL (remember Ashlee Simpson?).

• dman6015 says:

He was not singing to a recording. That was all live.

As for the audio being “too clean”, keep in mind that a long time ago, SNL built the studio with the best sound recording equipment in the business. I’m sure they’ve kept it up to date.

13. JeanL says:

The Hamstersame sketch was a spoof homage to Edward Albee’s Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf. Albee died last week.

14. Dude says:

Do not agree with Thisbe AT ALL one of the best SNL episodes in a while. Melaniade was the highlight of the night but I enjoyed most sketches

15. AngelWasHere says:

Missed the show, but I saw debate skit and I just watched Melaniade. The debate skit wasn’t as good as last week, but still pretty funny. The Melaniade thing was too funny tho. OMG! 😂

16. Did we watch the same skits?

Melanianade was hilarious whereas Chonk was hard to get through. The Olya Pavlatsky sketch was okay but overrated for sure.

The opening was terrific. Not the best episode overall. More misses than hits.

17. CHONK is an example of why I watch this show. It is an instant classic. It demonstrated the misogyny of this shameless period of history more than the Trump skits.

• KatsMom says:

My husband was laughing his arse off during Chonk. I just wound up sighing and saying, “It’s too true to be funny.”

18. Brooke says:

I thought this was a solid episode throughout

19. Chuck says:

It’s amazing how ignorant people are in reference to the Hamsters sketch. It was a pretty brilliant and spot-on parody of Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? And if you’ve ever owned hamsters or other rodents as pets, the analogy certainly applies!

20. dkleener says:

I thought that the Burger King stretch limo sketch was funny and the surprise cameo made it worth the wait.

• KatsMom says:

Was it really that big of a surprise that Bruno popped up at the end there? He’s hosted SNL before. I expected him to show up at some point because of that.

21. Jared says:

Laura Parsons was the best part of the night!