American Horror Story Video: Roanoke's Big Twist (Finally) Revealed

American Horror Story: Roanoke is flipping the script — or the camera, rather — as it moves into the second half of the season.

Wednesday’s episode ended with Shelby, Matthew, Flora and Lee escaping the Butcher’s clutches — thanks to an assist from a conveniently traitorous Ambrose — and taking refuge at a nearby motel. And because these characters have all taped interviews for My Roanoke Nightmare, we know they survive.

So… what’s next? Well, if you caught the promo for Episode 6 — or if you already clicked on the video above — you’ll know that the focus is shifting to the behind-the-scenes players, specifically Cheyenne Jackson‘s character, believed by many fans to be a producer on My Roanoke Nightmare.

“We rolling?” Jackson asks his cameraman in the promo. “The camera never stops, no matter what anybody says. Even if I tell you to stop, you keep rolling. Got it?”

It’s unclear exactly what his angle is — did you really expect AHS to spoon-feed that to us in a promo? — but it’s fair to assume that, after hearing the survivors’ spine-tingling tale, he’d want to revisit the infamous manor for footage.

“You’ll see, starting in episode 6, the show has a huge turn,” series co-creator Ryan Murphy recently told Entertainment Weekly. “The thing that you think you’re watching is not what you’re watching.”

Your thoughts on the big Season 6 twist? Drop your craziest theories in a comment below.

1. I think the big twist will be that it’s all a nightmare being dreamt by whoever signed off on Kathy Bates’s terrible British accent… That’s what it is right?

• Philip Coupland says:

I’m British – and katy bates accent is pretty spot on for that time period!

• Jason says:

People always think Americans British accents are bad..no matter how good they actually may be someone will always complain about it

• I’m British, I love Kathy Bates, but that accent is poor..

• Christine says:

Actually the accent is spot on. The British accent of today is not what would have been spoken by colonists of that period. It sounds very different. research it.

• David says:

Yes, today’s British accents (plural) are different from what settlers would have sounded like back then. That doesn’t explain why Kathy Bates is veering from modern-day Belfast to modern-day Bolton, via London, within single sentences, or why Wes Bentley’s accent keeps veering towards Yorkshire but strays as far as Jamaica. Their accents are not spot on for any period.

• Pan says:

I think it sounds fantastic. Bates is an awesome actress across the board. You just can’t please some people. *eye roll*

• brandi jeffers says:

Her role is amazing and I love seeing how they research an develop this show. It’s been my favorite show for years now and I look forward to it every year.

• danielle mabert says:

Are you crazy, its terrible puts me off watching should of asked sean bean to help them…..

• Bella says:

English accents were completely different back then. She’s not doing a current accent, she’s doing something more akin to the one Shakespeare had. And, as we all know well, he didn’t speak exactly like us!

• Erik Ewing says:

Don’t forget folks that they are supposed to be playing actors on a cheesy documentary it would make sense that the accents would be terrible and all over the place because their are playing hack actors in a re-creation of actual events.

2. SoCalSkippy says:

Wait, British? This entire time I thought her and West Bentley were trying to do Irish accents! You’re telling me they’re supposed to be British? Yikes, I expect this from Wes, but not Kathy. #Embarrassing

3. analog says:

Evan Peters is playing British too right? Anyone care to comment on his accent?

• Eric Dean says:

The only comment I will make is that they need to stop giving Evan Peters ridiculous accents and roles he can’t play. I’m in the minority here, but I thought March was positively dreadful, and last night’s was no better. The only thing I liked was the makeup, with the flickering light making the skull look. He’s not a good actor, and this show doesn’t need him.

• brandi jeffers says:

But he’s been on here for years tho right so it’s obvious he’s pretty great. March was amazing I thought he did a good job, his role on freak show was hard to get into I will admit.

• Sandy Duncan's Eye on Network TV says:

Evan Peters’ performance was laughable. He doesn’t have the chops for most of the roles he has has on AHS. If Ryan Murphy weren’t infatuated with him, he would be lucky to be on a soap

• Spence says:

My issue with Evan isn’t him but the characters he’s forced to play. March was laughable because he was a “crazy flamboyant maniac” but absolutely nothing more than that 2D longline, and his new character is an offensive characicature of another flamboyant, whacky gay man. I don’t blame Evan, I just blame poor writing

• Pan says:

American Horror Story is about HORROR not accents or authenticity, it’s not a Titanic for Tv series where every backdrop is a recreation of something original of a time period. People need to stop the micro-analysis and just let loose and enjoy the ride. These stories are great and better than 90% of what’s on TV. All the keyboard critics that couldn’t act their way off of a blog page need to stop trying so hard. The whole concept AHS has ventured and succeeded with is the reuse of the cast with an all new story each season. They pull it off great and considering it takes infants a couple years to learn how to speak their native language. How long do actors on a tv set really have to master a new dialect? Expect perfection and you will always be disappointed.

• Atomsk says:

Ryan Murphy bangs literally every single male actor on this show

• Lonnie says:

He sounds just like Johnny Depp.

4. AshleyAlexa says:

I was on-the-fence about whether I would continue watching season 6, until episodes 4 and 5. Characters Scathach and Edward Phillippe Mott and their backstories are (at this time) the most intriguing, of this season. Looking forward to the season progression.
    On a side note, I respectfully disagree with comments regarding Evan Peter’s range as an Actor; Evan has captivated (most of us) with his range of emotion and the nuances he brings to his characters’ traits. His performance as an innocent man, (deeply in love with his wife and unable to live openly with an interracial marriage) convicted of murder — in AHS: Asylum, was powerfully moving. Evan Peters’ portrayal of James March was also equally brilliant, in an extraordinarily different manner. The dinner scene between The Countess and March on the topic of her first love, the various emotions that pass across Peters’ face is genius, high quality range.

5. Frogsgirl says:

I think that picture of Andre Holland is a clue too since we’ve only seen him being interviewed. Maybe it will show the ‘real’ people more.

6. bmemblatt says:

What twist? This is what we’ve been expecting all along. If this is the twist its a real yawner.

7. Carrie says:

I just hope they (Shelby and Matt) don’t go back to the house!

8. Amy says:

I’m sorry. The Brit accent is not the problem. The whole show is a snoze.
    If I want to watch a documentary I would watch hiddened files of ufo’s.
    And Murphy has the guts to have another show due out in March. Y not try the Aztec…where did they go, to get away from this show

9. I’m typing this with a British accent….

10. Brian says:

They’re definitely gonna take the real characters back to the house and everyone’s gonna die a horrible death. It’s so predictable…

11. This is a Horror story, are you want for the accents or are you watching for the fun so stop bitching ,, or get about the accents & have fun next time you’re watching AHS!!!👺🔥🔪

12. C.A. Fenner says:

“Mama took my leg!”

13. Joey says:

I dont know but doesn’t anyone else notice all that MIST in like a container in the preview? The on demand had this season labeled as the mist. The show started early.. Give more episodes to real season that is now gonna start… Called THE MIST? grasping.. But watch again… Hmm

14. jbj says:

Alright already with the complaints about the accents! Think of it this way… these dedicated actors were probably working for months with dialect coaches to learn to speak with antiquated accents they’ve never heard before. Then, they are given very challenging and emotional dialogue maybe a week or two before filming, given the necessity of script secrecy for a show like this. Push come to shove, they are going to choose emotion and language over dialect precision to get their points across. This is a full 50+ minute TV show with a short turn-around time, not a 2 hour movie or play with weeks to months of dialogue rehearsal. Give these actors some bloody credit for challenging themselves! Moreover, accents are dependent on a lot of variables, particularly regional exposure, social class and period. We know nothing about these characters other than that they came from somewhere in England, were likely Protestant, and they (with the exception of Lady Gaga’s character) weren’t peasants. So, who knows what their dialect coaches were told in order to shape their training.

• Nancy says:

jbj, Bravo to you because that’s is the exact same thing as I was trying to say but not quite as eloquent as you have finally someone with some common sense ,I just don’t understand why people are so judgemental these days it just must be that they are so unhappy with their own lives so they have to go online & start trouble or say how much they hate this show or that show well, I say if you don’t like that show or are unhappy with it in any way STOP WATCHING IT MORON!! I mean they do have the choice of changing the channel & not watching the crap their currently complaining about right…..?