The Flash Recap

The Flash Recap: Strange New World

The disapproving finger Joe is pointing at Barry in the above Flash photo? We feel his frustration after witnessing the crushing changes the speedster’s timeline tampering resulted in during Tuesday’s episode. It’s a pretty hard call as to which of the reveals is the most heartbreaking:

* Cisco is now grief-stricken about his brother Dante’s death, and he’s not thrilled with Barry either. “Now you want to be there for me?” Cisco pointedly says to his pal. Eek.

The Flash Spoilers* Iris is mad at Joe because he didn’t tell her that her mother Francine was alive.

* Arrow‘s Diggle has a son named John. (Barry, you got rid of baby Sara?! Oh, that’s bad.)

* Barry erased his kiss with Iris – again. (Perhaps that’s his punishment for all the havoc he’s wreaked?)

And that’s not all that’s different. Let’s review what else Barry broke, and how he made (some of) it right.

IF AT FIRST YOU DON’T SUCCEED… | Barry arranges the most awkward Team Flash dinner ever in hopes of repairing all the fractures between his loved ones. Cisco responds by arguing that if Barry really wants to fix things, he should go back in time and save Dante. Ouch. Sensing that he’s keeping a secret, Iris implores Barry to be honest with her or their relationship is over before it’s even started. Barry apologizes and then runs back in time – again – but he’s thwarted by Jay Garrick, who pulls him out of the speed force and into a cafe playing Dawson’s Creek in 1998, aka my idea of paradise. “We’re not gods, we’re men,” Jay warns him. Barry has a choice to make: be the kind of hero who takes the easy way out with a do-over every time he makes a mistake, or the kind who accepts the consequences and moves forward.

MENDING FENCES | After the talking-to from Jay, Barry reveals the truth about what he’s done to the gang. He offers to tell them all about their Flashpoint lives, but warns, “You have to live with those differences because I can’t change it again.” Cisco is not happy to learn Barry altered the timeline when someone in his family died, but he wouldn’t do the same for him. Iris comes to the speedster’s defense, because they’ve all made mistakes to protect the people they love. The tension starts to ease as Joe and Iris make amends. Then a super-powered Cisco – at least something good came out of this new reality! – rescues Barry from The Rival and Dr. Alchemy. Although they forgive the speedster, the team decides they don’t want to know about their Flashpoint lives. For Iris, it doesn’t matter what she and Barry were over there because “we always find each other,” she tells him just before they recreate their porch kiss from the Season 2 finale.

BRR, THERE’S A CHILL IN HERE | Cisco’s not the only one with powers. It seems Ms. Snow is (secretly?) turning into Killer Frost.

TWO AGAINST ONE | Edward Clariss’ visions of his other life in Flashpoint lead him to Dr. Alchemy’s location. The Flash is faced with both foes at their next fight, during which Alchemy cryptically hints that he wants to help people achieve their true potential because he’s preparing this world. Barry theorizes that everyone who had powers in Flashpoint is going to get them back for whatever Alchemy is planning. And whatever that is, he no longer has need for Clariss, who is attacked by Alchemy in prison

WORKPLACE CONFLICT | To top off Barry’s many problems, his new-but-not-really-new coworker, meta-human CSI specialist Julian, hates him. That’s baffling to Barry’s sounding board, Felicity: “You’re like pudding. Everybody likes pudding.” Hey, some people prefer jello. And Julian doesn’t trust pudding.

Flash fans, what did you think of the episode? Which tweak to Barry’s world was most welcome and which was most devastating?

1. Sasha says:

Killer frost is coming!!!!! I can’t wait!!!!

2. lilyb says:

Glad everything pretty much went back to the way it was relationship-wise almost immediately. I was worried for a sec that good old Barry might have to deal with the consequences of his actions for more than an episode. So relieved!

3. George H. says:

Julian Albert is Mr. Alchemy.

4. James D says:

Oh Boy! Barry messed up big time Killer Frost is coming! great episode my only complaint is no Harry. Can’t wait for the next episode.

5. Kate says:

Uh oh…Barry likely just created Connor Hawke and potentially that horrible future the Legends visited last year that they may have thought they fixed. And does that put the ticking clock on Dig? Connor said he was like ten I think when his father died.

6. Caitlyn will become Killer Frost, blame Barry for her condition, and he will have to face his former best friend in battle! I can’t wait!

7. steven says:

So Diggle’s kid’s gender was changed due to Flashpoint. Wonder what else changed.

• Alichat says:

I found it odd that Felicity didn’t ask that question. Once Barry said Diggle’s kid was different, I’d have been asking about everyone. Is Laurel still deceased? Is Diggle still married to Lyla? Did Sara ever die? Did Thea ever die? Granted, this was an episode of The Flash, so they couldn’t touch on everything Arrow related. But with all the crossovers, there are so many things that could be altered due to one small change. Barry just looked around the room and assumed there are only small changes, but how does he know?

• Dj says:

He didnt just look around. He searched through her files if she kept a enough info on file then he could get a pretty good idea if anything else was different.

• Alichat says:

And the only thing that has changed is that Diggle has a son? I find that hard to believe.

• I’m so with you — and not only that, what I really want to know is how come the past two weeks of the “Arrow” have been business as usual, nothing really seems to have changed in respect to their dealings. Not even in the “Arrow” premiere, which was same week as Flash, so things should’ve been noticably different, but nope, nada, nothing. And last night’s episode of Arrow didn’t show anything that could’ve/should’ve changed. I don’t buy it; something’s not right.

8. This was a fantastic hour — I cheered harder at Jay Garrick’s arrival tonight on THE FLASH than I did at Superman’s last night on SUPERGIRL.

I kinda wish they’d aired the two episodes back to back. Great stuff.

• Lynne says:

I wish they did too. It would’ve cushioned the blow that Flashpoint was only one episode because this episode made up for my disappointment in that fact.

9. Lynne says:

As excited as I was when I found out that Tom was going to be on this season, I’m a million times more excited that we are going to *eventually* get Killer Frost *again*!!!

10. Squirrelly says:

*Deep breath* Killer Frooooooooooooooost! I can’t wait.

Anyone else kinda hope she looks nothing like the Earth-2 KF (Who looked too much like the Louise Lincoln incarnation) and we instead get the comic-verse KF of Cait with the awesome icicle mohawk?

(And for the record, I don’t like pudding. Or yogurt. Or cream cheese. The texture makes me gag for some reason)

11. TomC says:

Looks like Iris is going to have a bigger role this season. I, too, am glad the team’s relationships were somewhat healed. Wally seemed to have some idea that his role will be different but not sure and Caitlyn sure knows what is going on with her. Glad Jay Garrick rushed in to bring Barry to his senses although you could see Barry was fighting it thinking originally he was talking with the Speed Force again. Barry will need Jay around for when he wants to go off the deep end again. This episode did a lot to finish off the first and point the way for the season. There will be more surprises, I’m sure.

12. parstl says:

The show’s writers are back on their A game. This episode was even better than last week’s. So glad also that Iris has a prominent role in the script again as she did with the first half of season one.

13. Mark says:

I get it. And it was the right story decision. But I don’t like it. I wanted Barry to fix everything and get us back to the world we left in season 2. But this is why I’m not a writer on the show but a fan.

And am I not remembering something, or was Dante alive at the end of season 2? That’s just brutal!

Also wondering how they will play with Diggle having a son now instead of a daughter. And will we see any other fall out from this on the other shows since not everyone watches all of the shows. (And seriously, what’s wrong with them?)

• Zodinga says:

That would be boring, they brought something new and i think its great, if its lie season 2 again, they will probably get a lower viewer.

14. Joey Padron says:

New episode was good. Good talk Jay had with Barry about messing with time. Sad Cisco’s brother is dead again. Good Killer Frost is coming back! Good to see Cisco fighting along with Barry in the episode. Can’t wait for next episode!

15. Lore says:

Dawson’s Creek…. hahaha well done, Dawson’s dad was still alive in that episode?? or was the one when the funeral? because it will fit that Barry is saying his dad died and Dawson is grieving his dad too … aka Jay Garret

16. Liz says:

I find I can’t enjoy any of this show now because Barry is the most selfish ‘hero’ I think I’ve ever seen. He literally erased a little girl from existence (Diggle’s daughter) because of his selfish actions. Everyone suffers the consequences of his actions and he gets to kiss the girl. Nope. Iris deserves better.

• Barry knows he made a grievous mistake. He tried to fix it. But he can’t. He can’t go back any longer. He can only go forward and it’s the same for everyone else. The people who truly love him, such as Iris, aren’t going to hold hatred and contempt in their hearts for him for the rest of their lives.

• kath says:

Barry keeps making the same mistake though, over and over again. He sacrifices other people’s happiness because he keeps trying to make his life perfect. He’s got the maturity of the 11 year old Barry who lost his mother, but that child was decades ago.
        I don’t question that people love him but they keep enabling him every time and that’s wrong. It doesn’t help them and it certainly doesn’t help him.

• Abbie says:

He made a mistake in a moment of extreme grief and he realizes that.

17. abz says:

So if Barry isn’t going to change this alternate reality timeline again, will the Arrow timeline be affected on that show or will the timeline on Arrow continue be the original reality timeline with crossovers existing with Barry jumping between realities? Will Diggle’s child remain a boy on The Flash, but be a girl on Arrow in the original reality? Man this time travel stuff is quite confusing?

• Butch says:

The producers have already said Diggle will be the one who is effected by Flashpoint so you can assume his child is now a son on Arrow. They also said there would not be other changes on Arrow so Tommy , Laurel, and Oliver’s Mom and Dad are most likely still dead on this Earth.

18. Jeremiah minter says:

Fantastic A++++++. This had so much emotion. I felt so bad for Cisco. I got his pain. Sometimes barry can be very selfish. Killer friar is coming. Let’s hope she will be bad. I think kid Flash is coming. Yep. Can I just say Hot Iris. Those legs.

19. Bella says:

I really enjoyed watching the effects of the Paradox play out, and it was really awesome to see Barry and Cisco take down Clariss together. Although, something good that came out of Flashpoint and the Paradox which I loved was that Iris now has her own office at CCPN! Hope that means we get to see more of her journalistic arc this season. All in all, great episode.

20. Zodinga says:

Great episode!!!! This season is going to be great…..I definitely love WESTALLEN.

21. So Baby Sarah got erased wonder what other changes that are going to affect Team Arrow

22. Rich says:

Did I miss where they explained how Barry can now run back in time without having to create a new particle accelerator event? How about how Reverse-Flash was able to alter things the way he did, yet when did he leave Barry to do so (when he went back in last week’s episode to “fix things”)? And where did Jay come from that he knew about Barry pre-Flashpoint, yet seemed unaffected by the change? Doesn’t that suggest that a speedster can move in and out of any time stream whenever they want? And I’m really looking forward to finding out if Harry recognizes that things are different; I’d think that Barry changing the timeline in Earth-1 would have no effect on Earth-2. Time travel gives me a headache…

23. TJ says:

Ok, I must say I’m a bit upset about baby Sara! That was one cute little girl!

24. BeckyBoo says:

I think Barry is actually a villain. He’s the most self interested, selfish childish person. And now he’s erased a little girl from existence, changed other people’s lives irrevocably, and still gets to ‘kiss the girl’. It’s disgusting. He’s disgusting.

• Abbie says:

he made a mistake in a moment of extreme grief and he realizes that.

• Havemercy says:

I think that’s reverse flash’s whole thing. He used to idolize Barry Allen but learned he is not the superhero everyone made him out to be.

But, like Jay Garrick said, they are merely men with great powers,not Gods. Men are fallible.

25. kath says:

It’s official. Barry Allis is The Worst, and so is the show because he always ALWAYS gets forgiven.

What else is the worst is that on the International Day of The Girls, the Arrowverse EPs erased the existence of Baby Sara so that they could have a boy instead. Great third world values there, guys.

26. Joseph Lee Huelsman says:

I wonder if Cisco will be able to break dance in this new universe?

27. Butch says:

Shouldn’t the characters wonder about their pre Flashpoint lives instead of their Flashpoint lives?
    Cisco’s brother was alive before Barry changed the Timeline. Barry killed Cisco’s brother by his actions, Will Harry and or Jessie Quick from Earth 2 remember how things were before Barry changed things? Will one of them mention Cisco’s brother was alive? Will finding out turn Cisco evil? It wasn’t that Barry refused to correct the brother’s death, it was that Barry caused it. Perhaps he will team with Killer Frost or perhaps Killer Frost will be good in this world.

28. Tom says:

People are complaining about something that isn’t even true. Sara was never “erased”. This is an alternate timeline. She’s still alive and well in the original timeline. Just because he isn’t in a certain universe or timeline, it doesn’t mean that it ceases to exist.

• MelindaB says:

Time travel is so confusing! So I wonder if the Barry who originally was in this timeline is living in another one, and just as confused as Barry was at first. Cisco was so angry that Barry wouldn’t turn back time to bring Dante back, when he had done so for his parents. But that was a different Barry…so again, I have to wonder if that Barry is living in OB’s (Original Barry) timeline, or yet another one? Or gone?

My brain hurts. :-P

• Butch says:

I disagree. I think you are getting the alternate timelines confused with the alternate universes. Barry can’t jump back and forth between time lines. He can change the timeline but the timelines do not exist simultaneously.

29. Brigid says:

Get over it! Barry is not selfish. He lost both parents at a young age by a supernatural threat that wouldn’t have happened if he wasn’t forced to have powers. He finally gets his dad back and he’s killed by another supernatural force. In one moment of desperation and absolute despair, he wanted to know what a normal life would be like. Maybe you have never lost a parent but it is like a gaping hole in your heart that NEVER goes away. None of his friends are innocent in their lives and he should certainly be forgiven. A hero is always learning and Barry has learned a hard lesson that he now has to live with for the rest of his life. Stop expecting him to be perfect and realize he is just as human as we are.

• Benjamin says:

I dont get them fussing either. He is also rather young so he definitely would make mistakes. There are very few people around who would not go back and save a loved one if they could. He did it and now knows just how bad that was.

• Abbie says:

Thank you, well said. people are really annoying me with their comments.

30. DD says:

I dont think Cisco is “super-powered” any differently than the original timeline, he just built a goggles+gloves combo to use his existing powers.
    Also, I assume Barry was offering to tell the team about their original timeline selves, not the Flashpoint ones, meaning the little things that were different now, not the major changes in Flashpoint.
    Lastly, are we going to learn what caused these little differences in the Paradox timeline?

• Butch says:

Dante being dead is hardly a little difference and might turn Cisco dark when he finds out he was alive before Barry saved his mother.

31. I’ve always adored Barry but I can’t forgive someone who makes Cisco cry. That’s a no no. Cisco is joy incarnate and Barry was pretty dismissive of his feelings talking about “moving forward” like Cisco wasn’t still deep in his grieving process. Bad Barry!

32. Micaela says:

Really good episode I said it before I’ll say it again they are really setting up some very interesting storylines this season.

I have a feeling we’re definitely not done with Barry’s time travel shenanigans but in line with the forward theme I think it won’t be long till we see him head to the future instead of back in time.

Julian was a highlight for me this episode can’t wait to witness him and Barry lock horns. It also looks like we’ll have a team flash where the metas will outnumber the non metas. I was a bit disappointed with the swift resolution to the apparent estrangement between Joe and Iris which we didn’t even get to actually see play out, but I’m willing to let that go because I can see they are really working hard to organically give Iris the investigative reporter arc she deserves I’ll take that any day over father daughter drama.

Barry Allen had best learned his lesson and stop running away when the going gets tough. I don’t know if I can stomach any more talks from anyone to him reference the dangers/consequences of time travel to fix his life. I am ready for whatever else the show has in store for me. Did I also mention Barry and Iris have been so cuteeeeee these last two episodes they have all the making of an epic couple so I really hope the show don’t mess the writing up for them

33. However you do desire a few components to bridge the gap, and we’ll inform you what they’re here.
    To utilize it, you simply connect its Ethernet port
    into a similar one for the router with the home network (obviously utilizing an Ethernet cable),
    plus connect its energy to an AC outlet.

Blackberry 8220 Pearl supports 1000s of other mobile lifestyle and business
    applications. This phone is available within the color black and
    it really is built in Australia, Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium,
    Belarus, Bosnia, Canada along with maps of foreign countries.
    Review wifi range extender My male tester was impressed together with the Scan – Snap’s power to
    scan straight away to his cellular phone or tablet.

34. Abs says:

I think Tom Felton is Alchemy. And as soon as Barry told Katelyn that she hadn’t changes… I knew Killer Frost was coming