Halt and Catch Fire Season 3

Halt and Catch Fire Renewed for Fourth and Final Season at AMC

This should compute for Halt and Catch Fire fans: The AMC drama has been renewed for a fourth — and final — season.

The critically-acclaimed (but low-rated) drama, which centers on the tech geeks behind the 1980s personal-computer boom, will wrap up with a ten-episode Season 4, the network announced Monday. (Season 3 wraps up with a two-hour finale on Tuesday at 9/8c.) Creators and showrunners Christopher Cantwell and Christopher C. Rogers will return to write the final season as well.

Halt has been a critical darling, especially over the past two seasons; heck, we just lavished praise on stars Kerry Bishé (Donna) and Mackenzie Davis (Cameron) for their performances a couple weeks back. But the show has never found a strong audience. The total viewership for Season 3’s episodes has hovered around 300,000 — a tiny fraction of what The Walking Dead pulls in for AMC.

Still, the network is sticking with the series and allowing it to write its own ending. “We are so proud of Halt and Catch Fire — a true passion project,” AMC president Charlie Collier said in a statement, adding that the network “thank[s] the critics and fans who have embraced this unique program.”

And Cantwell and Rogers vow to go out on a high note: “In this fourth and final season, we are excited to end the show on its own terms and to give our story, these characters and our fans the conclusion they so richly deserve.”

Alright, Halt and Catch Fire fans: How should the show end? Hit the comments and share your vision of the future for Cameron, Donna, Gordon and Joe.

1. Katie says:

YEEESSSSSSSSS!!!

2. J St. says:

Hooray! I will miss it terribly though

3. Papandreou says:

That’s great news. A satisfying end (hopefully).

4. webly3 says:

Yay, I’m glad that tonight’s finale isn’t the end. I do feel that an end is in sight, and I know that the end will be great with the same writing team.

5. Billy meacham says:

Dang it first turn Washington spies is ending next year and now this.

6. RichieS says:

So happy for my man Toby Huss. I’ve followed his career since he played Artie the “strongest man in the world” on the Nickelodeon show ” Pete and Pete”.

7. K says:

I was prepared for the S3 finale to be the series finale so this is great news. Very happy we will get a final season with a proper ending. Too bad hardly anyone is watching it. It’s truly a great show.

8. Arnold says:

Considering all signs pointed to a cancellation, this was a great surprise.

And to all fans of TV: watch the Walking Dead. Regardless on how you feel about it, the amount of money AMC makes off it allows them to keep low rated shows like HaCF and Turn.

• sunshine says:

Unless you are a Nielsen family no one knows what you watch. No one.

• Doug Henning says:

I was one of those not too long ago… It is a 2 year mission… However.. as an older (60+) man, my choices don’t really matter much anyway.. My experience reminded me of early season of LOST where I had to keep hitting the button to let the box know I was really there and not just leaving my TV on.. In the town I was living at the time ( a larger mid-South City), the reps told me that they had around 500 boxes for the whole city..

In any event.. pleased as punch that Halt is getting a final season.. Way to go AMC!!

• Tatharnio says:

Unless you get AMC on demand through your cable subscriber. AMC gets those numbers directly when you watch shows either there or on their site.

9. Joey Padron says:

Great news! Happy the show will have one more season. Thankful to AMC for keeping the show on air past few years.

10. So so glad that AMC has enough respect for the show to give it a proper ending and not cancel at the last second. :)

11. Jim says:

This show honestly has some of the most interesting characters on TV. They’re all so deep and richly layered and very unlike any others you commonly see on TV. I really mean that. I can never half-watch this show, it always has my full attention. That said, I think one more season is enough to wrap it up in a really awesome and compelling manner. Any more than that and they might have had to stall or dilute it.

12. christopher bee says:

LOve the show and it will be a pleasure to have a meaningfull ending.

13. meleliot says:

Happy happy joy joy! What a great show with well written characters and great storylines. Also the costuming is spot on. This season Donna has worn a suit and two different blouses that I actually owned in the 80s. Love everything about Halt and Catch Fire. Thank you AMC for being loyal to quality programming despite low ratings. ❤️

14. cc says:

I’m so incredibly happy we get another season. AMC deserves a grand applause for keeping their faith to this show and its showrunners. I’m very sure I’m going to miss it, but I will always be glad this show had a chance to be on air for four years,

15. Imagecrafters says:

Great! A smart show with terrific writing and acting!

16. sunshine says:

I’ve always said they named this terrific show very badly, a more recognizable title would have attracted more viewers. What a terrible mistake that was because this really is one of the best shows currently on TV.

17. LAwoman says:

It’s one of my favorite shows and I’m really happy that it will get a proper ending. Thanks, AMC.

18. Lynn says:

I love the show! I am not a computer geek, but I was in the same age group during that time. And I remember when I got my first PC! I think all the actors are great and so is the writing. I’m glad there is another season! Kudos for AMC sticking with it!

19. it should be happy end, cos finally we got an internet!

20. Sandra says:

Really really love the show and thanks to Amazon prime was able to watch it in Germany. Couldn’t wait for a new episode and watched it already twice. Great story and great actors! Happy that there will be a forth season, although I wished it would continue. For me it’s a hero show, thanks AMC!

21. John Whorfin says:

A thousand bravos for AMC! This is a company with, style, class, taste, intelligence, quality, guts, commitment and a management staff I would like to give a Joe MacMillan-Tuke Holdsworth 1912 kiss on the lips for giving us a 4th season! I LOVE YOU AMC!

22. Ibby Josef says:

Fantastic series! Once I got watching I had to see each episode/season back to back :)
    My family membera also enjoyed it. I believe there would have been more viewers for this series if it was advertised/marketed better. I just happened to stumble across it, glad I did!

23. BRB says:

I enjoy HCF but frankly it’s jumped the shark. Not really believable this small core group created modern computing: portable computers, online chat/gaming, security software, ecommerce, etc. and now they’re about to create the web. Glad there will be a season 4 to wrap it up properly.

24. jodesmm says:

While it may not have attracted the eyeballs, it attracted the hearts. This show consistently reminded me of what good writing and even better acting is about.

I like shows like Rectify, shows you won’t hear about around the water cooler, or read about on Facebook, but when you watch them, you genuinely care about the characters portrayed and their lives.

Lee Pace has been a favorite of mine going back to Pushing Daisies. His range of acting is unparalled. I can, without effort, conjure up memories of scenes where he slayed me with his vulnerability, real vulnerability, in every single season of HACF.

The cast always hit their mark, without fail. I will be dreading the ending of one of the finest shows I’ve had the pleasure to watch, but when it comes I will watch the same way I have the past three seasons, with admiration and tears.

To the superb actors who portray Joe, Cameron, Donna, and Gordon, may your future be so bright, you’ll have to wear shades.

25. THANK UUUUU AMC….You’re the only Network I watch that has commercials because your shows rrrrr Sooooo Wonderrrrrful…Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Halt and Catch Fire…….

I’m an Old Coot of 70 and your shows are like catnip to me. I didn’t watch the First Season of Breaking Bad until I Bought It. By then I was hooked. Just a Classic. Hopefully Saul moves forward In the same quality direction. Only Problem is that I grew up with 39 episodes in the 50’s and there rrrr still 52 weeks in a year. When these shows are off the air I go through Saul withdrawal and many other neuroses. Pleeezzzzz Stay Creative…..Thanks….

26. scully51x says:

I’ve seen many shows on the tech uprising but I state 1000 &10% this is by far the best I’ve watched I wasn’t sure but by the end of the 1st ep season 1 I was hooked. The characters were real the story real..obv not true names but as I watched I loved hated then loved these ppl time and again
    I’ve told ppl but wish AMC had publicized it more but then I wouldn’t have been able to watch 3 seasons back to back…Now I’m having to wait till sometime in 2017 for final season.but that’s ok too as I can always go back and enjoy those special ‘Joe McMillan’ moments…awesome programme..

27. Yorkie says:

God, I love this show! But I can’t fight the feeling that Joe and Cameron belong together…

28. Ryan says:

Beautiful fools racing together against the future in the supenova birth of the digital age. Kudos to AMC. Plumbers love HaCF!

29. jonathan27lew says:

Great! Now when the hell is season two of Rubicon?? ;)

30. Donna as villain at the end was kind of a surprise for me. Was always rooting for her as the nice girl and they went and flipped that story around on me. S04 should be interesting as the coming age of the internet is a logical conclusion for this show.

31. Steveo says:

Great to see and looking forward to Season 4!! Top show and top talent acting on this show.

32. Sambo says:

I bloody love this show! Can’t believe so few people watch it. It is so fascinating to see the twists and turns and the ways they explore and reveal the strengths and flaws of the characters. Such a lucky find on Netflix.

33. Part of me would like to see the whole season told in flashback from Gordon’s funeral. His medical condition is worsening, and should he pass on…it would be interesting to see how his funeral would bring the three others back together and where they are….and how the group were together, and not together…the legalities of whatever Donna pulls after she drove off…the games Cameron comes up with…and whatever Zen thing that Joe is doing.

34. Sarah says:

Honoured to be one of the 300,00 who are absolutely hooked on this series. Everyone else’s loss.

35. Deb says:

Love this show. It has substance that is missing in a lot of television shows. thanks for allowing a 4th season

36. Trish says:

Love this show, great actors great story. So happy we get to see an end to the show, not just another great show just scraped with out some kind of closure for its fans. The Divide was total different kind of show but a good show, only on for one season they scraped it. Sometimes I don’t think there is enough promotion of shows. I discovered HCF by accident , I’m so glad I found it. Thank you AMC for going with it till the end.

37. Rob says:

Great. It’s genius. AMC should consider a delayed season 5 with 30 year gap, poss set a couple of years into the future: AI.

38. Mitch says:

This has been a lot of fun to watch. Jim loaned me his new calculator to go to physics class and it had led’s for the display and was around $75.00 in 1970’s cash. Love the way you recreate the old hardware. It brings back memories of the old IBM 360’s we tried to create programs on using FORTRAN. You know, punch cards, overnight job running, just to find you have another error! Wow, have times changed. I would like to see the show culminate in the logical progression that has been started and possibly pushing the last button on the newest virus/malware/dark web that could be imagined. Go where we have not been before, in the interpersonal as well as technological arena. Love the edgy content. Very brave!

39. CZ says:

Loved this show from the first episode. Great, true writing, acting. Great ensemble drama. Captured the era so well. I’m a journalist/lawyer, not a tech person, but took “computer science” in high school in the early ’70s, learned FORTRAN, used a typewriter through college and had a desktop computer for my first reporter job in 1977. Thank you, AMC, for all your shows, esp this one. Not sure marketing/advertising would have helped garner more viewers? Hopefully, it’ll become a cult classic and your good artistic sense will be vindicated.

40. Richard Haynes says:

I love the show. Which it would go for about 7 seasons . But , obviously we won’t get that. I love how retro it is and it takes you back to when you loved those games. It’s a great series . Wish there was more

41. Iryna says:

I just watched all 3 seasons in 3 days on Netflix ! I just love it ! Can’t wait for next season !!!

42. Terri says:

So excited about a 4th season. It’s a wonderfully addicting show. I believe it’s low ratings are because of its title. I almost didn’t watch it because of that but clicked on it on a whim and I was in love with it. Great actors, writing, etc. Love it.

43. Anne says:

THANK YOU for making this show and sticking with it. It is so well done and it means a lot to people like me who started out with Commodore 64’s and Basic and 300 baud modems and Usenet through the University, and the people just before me with punch cards and main frames.

I am rabidly addicted to Halt and Catch Fire! I think a lot more people would be too if they are made aware of it and what it is. I think a title change and smart marketing to the right demographic (hey there are a LOT of us “baby boomers”) and your numbers should be very huge!

But at any rate, THANK YOU THANK YOU for sticking with this for work of brilliant art, and an amazing, exciting story of that era. It changed the world in big ways and continues to do so! I think you get massive Karma points for supporting this for the art and beauty, and not the money (ratings). THANK YOU! :) :) :)

44. John says:

Great show. I’ve bought all the seasons on iTunes.

45. l says:

low -rated.. start counting globally and you’ll know the true rating, true value of the show, this is one of the best piece of television