Billy Bush Fired Today

Report: Billy Bush 'Will Never Be on Today Again' in Wake of Trump Scandal

The Today show is poised to make Billy Bush‘s suspension a full-fledged termination, according to a new report.

On Sunday, NBC announced that Bush had been indefinitely sidelined from his gig co-hosting Today‘s 9 am hour after he was heard engaging in a lewd conversation with Donald Trump in an unearthed 2005 tape. “I know we’ve all been deeply troubled by the revelations of the past 48 hours,” Today‘s senior VP Noah Oppenheim wrote in an internal memo to the staff. “Let me be clear — there is simply no excuse for Billy’s language and behavior on that tape. NBC has decided to suspend Billy, pending further review of this matter.”

An on-air Today source, meanwhile, tells CNN that Bush “will never be on the show again.”

Today co-host Savannah Guthrie addressed Bush’s absence at the top of Monday’s show, confirming to viewers that he has indeed been suspended. Al Roker filled in for him.

Bush on Friday released a statement expressing remorse for his conduct on the tape. “Obviously I’m embarrassed and ashamed,” he said. “It’s no excuse, but this happened eleven years ago – I was younger, less mature, and acted foolishly in playing along. I’m very sorry.”

A Today show rep has not yet responded to TVLine’s request for comment.

1. CAN says:

I don’t miss him.

• Annie Sisk says:

Exactly. This guy was arguably worse than Trump, serving that woman up like a slab of beef on a plate to the guy who explicitly stated his intention to commit criminal sexual assault. F-…. forget both those guys.

• Lala says:

At first I thought it was an overreaction to suspend him but then I saw snippets of some of his interviews on John Oliver last night. Wow he is just a vile human being. He has zero respect for women, he deserves whatever NBC dishes out!

• BillyHaveYouMetKarma? says:

I’m sure Fox News will make him an offer quickly …

• Tony Lang says:

Fox is still sweeping the Roger Ailes debacle under the rug, I doubt they’d want to jump in bed with Trump’s frat boy.

2. c-mo says:

I guess I get to watch the 3rd hour again and my boycott had nothing to do with the video, I just found him annoying.

3. Jerri says:

and yet Trump is still doing ok despite doing and saying more despicable things.

• wrstlgirl says:

I find it extremely interesting that Mark Burnett has stated that he will sue any current or ex-employee of The Apprentice if any vidios, etc. leak. Basically confirming that they do exist and are not good.

• Coop says:

I’m guessing a lot of people in Burnett’s position would feel that way. If material isn’t supposed to get out and eventually does, it could damage your career. Especially true when Burnett’s focus is on reality tv where he relies on people working with him and being “real” or amplifying their personalities for his shows.

• wrstlgirl says:

I fully understand all that but he brought attention to it with his public announcement, if you want to call it that. I suppose that could have been intentional to prove his loyalty, who the frack knows.

• Patrick says:

This statement by Burnett proves Trump said bad things, without the tapes actually coming to light. There are almost certainly contracts that protect Trump from exactly this type of release. Burnett would have to pay through the nose if this stuff came to light. Plus, it hurts him in the future WRT getting name talent to work with him.

• So...... Who lied about the mics?? Billy?? says:

Mr. Burnett has a legal obligation to stop any unauthorized production videos, or recordings, from being released. As a production sound mixer, I also have a duty to protect production recordings. When I mid a show, there is no unauthorized recordings that take place. If we stop tape, for any reason, I close every open mic. That’s a moral and ethical production rule. When we stop tape the talent resumes conversations with production staff and other talent and those conversations are private. Period. I’ve had executive producers ask me to leave a mic open when we’re not shooting, and I’ve refused. There are directors and some producers who want to know if the talent talks about them behind their backs — well, they’ll never get me to do that. The talent has the expectation of privacy when cameras are NOT rolling. Whomever recorded, what was an obvious private conversation, should have been fired. Ultimately, the production company bears the responsibility for unauthorized recordings. Simply having a mic placed on your lapel does not mean that you’re being recorded 24/7. Unless the talent is made aware that the recording will continue even after a segment is completed, then it’s unethical — and illegal. What occurred with Mr.Trump and Billy Bush was no accident. Someone needs to be punished. Since we haven’t been able to hear Billy Bushs’ deleted comments I might suggest that he told Mr.Trump that the mics were off! Perhaps that why Billy’s been kicked to the curb. I’d love to hear the complete tape, but, we never will.

• Please tell me you aren’t saying that Trump isn’t in the clear because he may not have known the mic was on?

• Who recorded this? Who had possession? And, was there prior notice of the recordings? says:

What I am saying is that IF Donad Trump was not informed that ALL conversations would be recorded and remain the property of the production company, regardless of whether tape was rolling or not, and that any and all damages from the release of what was essentially a private conversation — then, liability remains on the. Production company who recorded a private conversation which was later used to defame another. There is a chance that the production company was never in possession of this tape. If the company hired a freelance ENG camera operator and recordist to shoot this outdoor segment, then the freelance crew could have violated it’s confidentiality contract with the production company. It appears that possession and knowledge of the event needs to be researched. If the production company used it’s normal studio crew to shoot the ‘bus’ segment, then Mr.Trump may have legal recourse. In the process of shooting any TV segments there are legal protocols. In tv and film production, no one’s personal conversations can LEGALLY be recorded without their consent. All professionals know this. We are all required to sign contracts agreeing with the ethical and moral standards that protect the talent. I take my job, and responsibility, very seriously. I’m privy to conversations that are private in nature, and I have no right to record those.

• Andrea says:

That’s interesting information to learn about the tv industry in general. I didn’t know there were that many legalities involving recorded conversations. Thanks for sharing.

• Randy Ricafrente says:

Thanks for your time to comment. I didn’t know there was so much complexity to production.

• Mary says:

Thanks for the info. I am sure if Trump is already looking into on how he can sue someone because that is his signature style. It is also illegal to hack and leak private e-mails but that doesn’t seem to phase anyone when the dirt is on the other party.

• Aeol says:

Not to defend Burnett, but that clause goes back to their original contracts, its not something new in the wake of the campaign. He owns the footage.

• Emmy says:

He forced himself on other women and that came out before this recording came out, How would he feel if this happed it his daughters? I can’t stand either parties, but this is just morally wrong and Billy Bush has said inappriate things to many people since then being recorded.

4. maregolden says:

Maybe Billy can get a job working for the Fox network. They were fine with the stuff Trump said.

5. Coop says:

I don’t watch, but I feel bad for the guy since he only got dragged into this 11 years later because of Trump. I think it’s clear that Bush was just going along with Trump to maintain working relationship, for future usage, etc. It happens all the time. The difference is that 99.9% of people you go along with aren’t horrible people like Trump.

On a related note, NBC could be opening up a can of worms here. I bet a lot of people are digging into backgrounds of their employees. The funniest thing is that NBC knew all this crap about Trump and continually gave him bigger and bigger checks to be one of their network’s biggest faces.

6. HAP says:

When I first heard that tape, I figured that Bush was toast. No biggie, since he’s a total lightweight.

7. Carrabus says:

I think they are looking for an excuse to let him go

• Jules6868 says:

Yes! I feel like between the Lochte comments and the other anchors interactions with him, he was a bad fit for the show. NBC realizes they were handed a get out of jail free card with the Trump Tapes and are happily going to use it.

8. Max says:

Bring back Willie Geist!

9. amysue4772 says:

Isn’t this a bit hypocritical since they admit they have videos of trump saying worse things, and threatened to sue if they leak because the videos would damage nbc’s reputation?

• K says:

It’s Mark Burnett’s employee contract that’s stopping anyone from releasing the tapes. They all signed contracts saying they could face a $5 million fine for releasing any footage from Burnett shows. And since Burnett’s reputation could be damaged by that footage, he certainly wouldn’t want anyone to see it. So it has nothing to do with NBC, just Mark Burnett.

10. Jim Buckley says:

he’s a perfect candidate for fox news.he’ll fit in like a glove.

11. SJ says:

Really? Wow… The Wussified States of America, ladies and gentlemen. I hope he lands at Fox News. He doesn’t deserve to have his career end because of this. It’s kind of like the Guiliana Rancic non-scandal from about a year and a half ago that had her apologizing for like six months straight. People sure do like to make something out of nothing.

• Mary says:

Pretty bad when you believe what was said was nothing. Every action has a reaction can be positive or negative you choose.

• It’s a morality clause. Not making something out of nothing. Non-celebrities lose their job everyday because of things said on social media, let alone every public news source.

• Andrea says:

The potential presence of a morality clause makes a difference to me. If Access Hollywood and Today share similar contract language because they are both affiliated with NBC and it’s common practice to have morality clauses in contracts, then it’s Billy’s responsibility to know that’s in his contract. Moving within a company still makes you responsible for your behavior within that company for as long as you’re there. Meaning that he would indeed be culpable for something that happened 11 years ago if Access Hollywood was a NBC company at that time.

• SJ says:

…which is also horrible and infringes on an individual’s First Amendment rights!

12. AnnieM says:

I’ve always thought the guy was an obsequious dork ever since he first began appearing on tv. The only reason he has (had?) a TV career is because his cousin ‘Dubya’ was President at the time. Good riddance.

13. Lynn says:

Maybe I can watch it again now. He is just really annoying. And that’s saying something for a show that tamera Hall is on. I couldn’t stand her when she did news here in Chicago and still don’t like her but have grown to tolerate her because Good morning America and CBS are even worse but I stopped watching the third hour because of Bush. He just seems too phony and full of herself.

14. Chuck says:

“Younger, less mature”??? He was THIRTY-THREE! Pretty much aged out of the oafish frat boy years. He’s always been a jackass. Good riddance,

15. Billy Bush was a grown man when he made those comments. He was not a preteen. Apologizing saying he was young and immature is just an attempt to save his job. His apology is as crude as his actions on the video.

16. Julia says:

Couldn’t stand him before and I’m very happy with the termination. He’s always seemed like a slimy frat boy.

17. Jared says:

Billy Bush is a no talent nobody. He won’t be missed from Today by the viewers or his cohosts.

18. TV Gord says:

If I were a superstitious person, I’d think someone put a curse on The Today Show when they unceremoniously dumped Ann Curry.

19. Blondage says:

If he had a different last name and known for being liberal, he’d just be banished to something like MSNBC ala Brian Williams. Not saying that is right or wrong… Just making an observation.

• Robin says:

I don’t think Brian Williams should be on MSN either. He lied to people.

Love Willie Giest!!

• Diane says:

Ann Curry ouster was a huge mistake and as for Brian Williams…..they all lie, he was an easy scapegoat because he was wildly popular.

• Mac says:

He embellished a story for entertainment purposes (ya know EXACTLY like Hillary did about being shot at in Bosnia) so that makes him unqualified to read news off of a teleprompter?

• Trevor Langdon says:

For us to buy what they are selling we have to trust the person giving us the information.

• Mac says:

#1 Why? The days of Cronkite are over. These are basically actors reading from a teleprompter. personally I’d rather have Brian Williams with some personality over a wooden statue like Jester Holt #2 If that is true then how can anyone vote for Hillary knowing she lied about the same thing?

20. brawl2099 says:

I’ve been hoping for this since he stuck up for Lochte. The guy is clearly a moron with no sense of morality. He shouldn’t have a platform for what he passes off as reporting.

The sad thing is that he could probably sue and cause a big headache for NBC. Probably won’t win, but definitely could be a pain in the ass.

• Artrice Smith says:

Exactly! I was thinking the same thing – in the last 11 years he has not learned to stay neutral when talking/interviewing guests?

21. Rheinmeister says:

I wonder if he had stayed in LA on Access would they have let it go? Sucks for him after making that move across the country only a couple of months ago.

22. Bunch of HYPOCRITES! They seem to forgot freedom of speech is protected by the first amendment – oh wait only when it suits what they are trying to preach. We have Bill Clinton going to his pal’s island and participating in sex slave rape of 12- 15 year olds but that’s okay. Just don’t talk lewd – give me a break. Hope he sues them for wrongful termination.

• Mary says:

Ignorance is not your friend. Please look up the true meaning of freedom of speech. Your statement clearly proves you have no idea.

• Brock Hard says:

Honey, it’s freedom of speech, not freedom from repercussions. You can say whatever you want, just don’t be surprised if you get a bad reaction.

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

Freedom of speech only means Congress can’t pass laws prohibiting freedom of speech. Private corporations have no obligation to allow anyone to say anything.

• AJ says:

Oh Donna, Donna, Donna. Freedom of speech does not include freedom from the consequences of said speech. Freedom of speech protects you from being jailed for your speech. It doesn’t prevent your employer from canning your butt… Now your speech right here could subject you to a charge of libel as what you wrote is a total fabrication…

23. Brock Hard says:

I’m happy they’re getting rid of that overgrown frat boy, but you know he’s going to get a nice severance from NBC.

24. Rex the Wonder Dog says:

So Billy Bush gets fired for recording what trump said but trump still gets to run for president? How is that fair?

25. Ostra says:

What people is making a huge deal about the incident. He is no to blame cause that happened during his work schedule and someone was taping I bet secretely. Also that happened in 2005!! I mean since we are in presidential race is normal candidates look for hidden mistakes or something bad they did in the past in order to make them surface to hurt each other, that is normal in any country. Who cares what Trump said back in 2005!! Those are old news. People should focus on the present not in the past. I mean we know Trump has bad mouth and loves to criticize and insult women, that we know, so that video should not come as a surprise anyway.

26. Erin B says:

I wonder if this is just an excuse to get rid of him. He is terrible. I don’t know what the ratings are with him compared to before he started on there, but I would be surprised if they were better. This is a way out for NBC regardless of what they think about what he did.

27. AJ says:

FYI: Al Roker did not fill in. The 3 hosts of the 9AM hour are Al Roker, Tamron Hall & (up until last week) Billy Bush.

Anyways, Billy Bush has been HORRIBLE and I’m sure Today is using this as an excuse to get rid of him. Access Hollywood clearly got the better end of the trade with Natalie Morales. Billy is just as bad as Michael Strahan on GMA!

28. dman6015 says:

Now Geraldine is saying he has damaging taped conversations with Trump. He hasn’t said if he’ll release them.

29. Melaniem says:

Cannot say I have any sympathy for Billy Bush being publicly humiliated over this tape or losing his job-he came across in that recording as a frigging pimp helping Trump cop feels. That said, I find it ironic that Billy is the only one facing real consequences while Trump get to continue running for POTUS

• rinaex says:

At this point the party is stuck with him as the nominee. A few states have even already started voting. There’s also the fact that his “fanbase” doesn’t care what he does. Essentially, no one has any control over Donald Trump, whereas Billy Bush is under contract and is vulnerable to repercussions.

30. Jill says:

My biggest pro lem with Bush at this point is his apology, or lack of 1. He was 33, not 23. And nowhere does he say he has reached out to Nancy or Arianne to apologize in his behavior. I never expect Trump to, but Bush showed his true colors by not even addressing the women.

31. Ronnie says:

I’m not a fan of Billy and he really isn’t a good fit for the Today show. I don’t think he should be fired for just this, BUT if they have been having issues with co-workers complaining about his lack of professionalism since his arrival, (and his lame attempt to defend Ryan Lochte is a reflection of that behavior), then they should cut their losses. What is interesting is that Access Hollywood was trying to protect him before it was released by editing his responses but it would have been worse for them once the entire tape had come out.

32. xomylifexo says:

Only in America will a morning show host pay a stiffer penalty than a presidential candidate for the candidate making sexist and disgusting remarks.

33. seawing says:

Bush aside. I think it’s interesting that the network who made Trump a star and paid him millions, while knowing who he is, has now found their righteous indignation.

34. Billy Bush got exactly what he deserved! He thought he could play super hero, he’s actually is a super zero! Kudos, to the Today Show for firing him. He by far it’s not an asset to NBC, nor is he an asset to any of the viewers.

35. trista says:

My guess is ratings must be down, because something someone said 11 years ago, really? I am not a fan of him and I haven’t liked him on the Today show, but it seems extreme to fire him for comments made 11 years ago. It also doesn’t seem like Tamryn and he have much chemistry, just my opinion.

36. Aeol says:

Encouraging Arianne Zucker to hug Trump after just laughing about how Trump likes to assault unassuming women… bye Billy.

• rinaex says:

Yep. I always despised Billy Bush, and never could understand how someone so smarmy and annoying could go so far. He’s the guy who may not go through with sexually assaulting a woman himself, but would slip something into a woman’s drink for his buddies to get her ready and would stand by with a camera recording. Just vile.

• Carrabus says:

gross

37. Vanessa Harri says:

This is payback for his role in the Ryan Lochte Rio 2016 debacle.

38. Ellie says:

He is as bad as Trump. Glad he is being fired. He is an aging frat boy who takes no responsibility for his actions……,

39. Mary says:

I hate this for Billy Bush. All this happened many years ago. Thats all in the past. Everybody is acting as if they just done something so horriffic. I think its all dum. Anything to Smear Trump and Billie to. They have apologized and everybody needs to just leave it at that.

• Mary says:

Sorry Mary – you are tarnishing the name. They were grown adults 11 years ago not frat boys and it show their true character. Trump to this day still is a chauvinist pig who degrades not only Women but other groups who are not White Male. I don’t follow Billy but what little I have seen from him on a couple of occasions I don’t the he is that much different then Mr. Trump. Both apologies were lame and in Trump case he deflected. Did you ever teach your children every action has a reaction, could be positive or negative. It is clear they were not taught by that principal.

40. Carrabus says:

I’ve never heard of him before this.

• Tony Lang says:

EXACTLY what I’ve been thinking; before Friday I had never heard of that guy — he just got a huge publicity boost! And if Trump himself taught us anything, it’s that no publicity is bad publicity. If he plays his cards right he could score big.

41. cs gaura says:

Playing the sycophant is part of the job description for “personalities” like Billy Bush. And the vulgar references to women in this tape are heard weekly on shows like TMZ. It remains to be seen if this public outrage encourages a lot of other people to clean up their act.

42. Emmy says:

I wonder how Trump won’t feel if someone talked about his daughters the same way or acted on it,. Plus, this is not the frist time Billy Bush has said inappropriate to things to woman straight tto their face, Jo Lo was one of the time when he asked her about her butt, that was not long ago. Jen Lo was in shock about the question,

• Sab Venable says:

Please Trump acts inappropriately towards his own daughter(s)/wives, so that arguement about how would he feel if they were in that situation doesn’t fly. He has them pimped and trained to expect and even deal with that sort of thing, I would imagine. They have no shame in hiding their inappropriate behavior toward each other either. It’s sick but this is the world we live in where things like this are tolerated….sick, sad, mad world.

43. NotforClintoneither says:

His contribution to that conversation was unacceptable for the network. I’m glad we hold candidates for THE UNITED STATES presidency to the same standard…. Oh wait…. Nvm. We freakin don’t.

44. media hypocrits says:

i love the way that hollywood is now in the business of persecuting sexual mores. this is just the most insane thing ever. the full court press of outrage is so in contrast to the sexual mores of all hollywood. if bush had been gay and talked the same way about gay sex, he would have been protected by the gay community under the idea of free speech. have liberals turned a new page in mccarthyism?

45. Paula says:

Good riddance!! Now how do we remove Michael Strahan from GMA?

46. Doris says:

I hope you never get a job anywhere you are a piece of crap. I would sue you taping someone without their knowledge is against the law

• TV Gord says:

He knew he was wearing a microphone. Anyone who wears a microphone knows that they could be recorded at any time. Nothing illegal happened from that aspect of things.

47. I’m OK with it. I found Billy to be annoying. Didn’t think much of him during the Olympics either.

48. Julie says:

Karma is a……. Billy didn’t realize he was in a different league, trying to think he was one of the big boys. Also, maybe he’ll rethink never to tell a seasoned, fellow colleague, Al Roker, to calm down over a news headline that didn’t reveal the truth, the Lochte scandal. Al Roker, you Rock! Billy, hope you had a roundtrip ticket back to L.A.

49. Cary Pollack says: