Comic-Con
Doctor Who Christmas Special 2016 Video

Doctor Who @ Comic Con: Get a Sneak Peek at This Year's Christmas Special

Doctor Who boss Steven Moffat loves Superman so much, he made his own.

That’s why this year’s edition of the long-running British sci-fi series’ annual Christmas special, The Return of Doctor Mysterio, will center on a superhero named Grant, Moffat said Friday — and then he offered fans a first look. Watch below:

The video, as well as a peek at Justin Chatwin (Shameless) as the Superman-like Grant (photo at the top of this post) was revealed during BBC America’s New York Comic Con panel Friday, which also included the Doctor Who spinoff Class and Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency.

“What we’ve sort of made here is a new ironic, goodhearted superhero movie… which hopefully they’ll want to repeat every year. As long as I get a cut of it,” Doctor Who star Peter Capaldi joked.

Season 10 of the British sci-fi series will feature the addition of Pearl Mackie as the Doctor’s new companion, Bill, as well as the return of Matt Lucas (Little Britain) as Nardole. The upcoming run of episodes also will be showrunner Steven Moffat’s last; in January, the series boss announced his intentions to leave the series after Season 10. Chris Chibnall (Broadchurch) will take over showrunning duties starting with Season 11.

A few additional highlights from the panel, which took place at the Theater at Madison Square Garden:

* The audience also got a glimpse at Class:

* The panel also screened the first episode of Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency, which stars Samuel Barnett (Penny Dreadful) and Elijah Wood (The Lord of the Rings films), is based on Douglas Adams’ novels and premieres Oct. 22 at 9/8c. Watch a sneak peek below:

1. RedReddington says:

Man, do I miss when this show was good. Moffat has slowly made DW unwatchable. I miss the years of Nine, Ten and some of Eleven so much. :(

2. Phil says:

Doctor Who is in trouble. Big fan here, forgotten all about the Christmas specials, and seeing this trailer sparked absolutely nothing in me. The only part that got me interested at all was, “Is that Justin Chatwin?”

Really hope at this point Capaldi leaves with Moffat. They purposely left his Doctor’s character super vague for so long that I reached the point I just want him gone. And without Clara (and Jenna) to make me give a crap, I don’t. The show needs a clean slate ASAP.

• ScottJ says:

The Doctor’s character has been vague (and changeable) since the show started in 1963. The whole point of the companions is to be our entry point into a universe we don’t understand.

3. B says:

Not sure what other commenters are talking about. Peter Capaldi has been absolutely fantastic as the Doctor, and I hope he stays for a long time. If season 8 was a little wobbly, season 9 was arguably the best of the new era. Not sure what to make of the Christmas episode based on the description — I’m unable to watch the clip for some reason — so I’ll have to wait and see. It’ll be hard to top the last one (especially that ending!).

• Scythe says:

This. Peter Capaldi is absolutely fantastic in the role and the show is very much alive, series 9 being the top contender for the best season since the revival.

4. Class looks like it might be a teenage Torchwood.

5. Jason Morris says:

As a lifelong Doctor Who fan I have to say that the show is now unrecognisable as the sci-fi classic that we all love. I like PC as the Doctor but the stories now are just dross. It all started to go downhill rapidly when the Master – one of the greatest fictional villains ever – was turned into a woman. In my opinion, I didn’t really take to either Eric Roberts or John Simm – neither captured the essence of the Master (I always thought that Keith Allen would have been a good Master after seeing his portrayal of the Sheriff of Nottingham) – but this Missy twist has killed him off. And now I fear that bringing in this ‘superhero’ has finally killed off the Doctor himself. Parodies of Superman just don’t belong in DW. I just couldn’t watch it through. It wasn’t intriguing, it wasn’t dramatic, and it wasn’t entertaining. Maybe the bits that I chose to miss were awesome … but I doubt it.