The Mindy Project Recap Season 5 premiere

The Mindy Project Premiere Recap: Did Dr. Lahiri Choose Danny or Jody?

Mindy, you’re a doctor, so why don’t you do the honors: Please call a time of death on my love for Dr. Daniel “Diamond Dan” Castellano.

Because all of the affection I felt for the booty-shaking, grandpa glasses-wearing, funky ale-brewing, commitment-fearing, nude photo-posing, lasagna-crafting Dr. C is snuffed out for good in The Mindy Project‘s Season 5 premiere.

I’m rather sad about this development. I didn’t start watching the comedy thinking it would provide a love story to root for, but then the airplane galley — the airplane galley, guys! — happened in Season 2, and the chemistry between the two OB-GYNs was so [fire emoji] that I couldn’t help but want to see them together. Bickering and weird and inappropriate, sure. But together.

Alas, in the season opener, Mindy does not choose a life with Danny. Her elation over their elevator hook-up is deflated when she sees the invitation to his wedding: When confronted, he sheepishly apologizes for not bringing the matter up while they were stuck in a confined space for hours. “Our thing was never really deep conversation,” he says, as if that’s an excuse.

Mindy’s shocked to hear that Danny and Sarah have only dated for a short while. “I was seven months pregnant, and you didn’t want to propose to me,” she says quietly. “And then I really wanted to marry you and you ruined my life,” he replies. Don’t you mean, “I wanted a 1950s housewife or else,” Danny?

Anyway, after a few hot kisses, Leo’s folks decide to table any further discussion until after he’s talked to Sarah and called off the wedding. That leaves Mindy free to go back to the practice and try to convince everyone she was in southern Florida — and not Danny’s southern region — all weekend. But when Leo’s headmaster calls and Tamra answers, she and Colette eventually learn what Dr. C has really been up to.

The Mindy Project Recap Season 5 PremiereSo they confront her in front of Jody (and the rest of Shulman & Associates), but surprisingly, Dr. Kimball-Kinney isn’t mad at all: Mindy didn’t know that he’d bought her an apartment (and was going to declare love), and she didn’t know that Danny was engaged, so she’s blameless in his eyes. But he is looking forward to getting an answer to whether or not she wants to be with him…

Then Beverly, of all people, has a heart-to-heart with Mindy and drops this novel idea: “If neither one of these guys is right, wait for someone special to come along.”

Min is gobsmacked. “Don’t operate out of desperation. That never occurred to me,” she says. So when Danny shows up at her apartment later and admits that he didn’t have the talk with Sarah, it’s clear there’s no future for them there. (Side note: By this point, I know that Danny has repeatedly said he doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with him and that he doesn’t need to change. SO WHY DOES IT STILL INFURIATE ME SO?)

Later, Mindy channels her inner Kelly Taylor and runs to Jody’s in her nightgown, in the pouring rain, to tell him that she’s not choosing him, either. “I want to be by myself for a while,” she says, shortly before he starts calling her names and saying they can’t be friends. “Get to runnin’, you crazed harlot!” he yells from the window as he hurls objects at her down on the street. But as she walks away, Mindy looks happier than we’ve seen her in a while.

Now it’s your turn. Grade the premiere via the poll below, then hit the comments to elaborate on your thoughts!

1. Laurie says:

It’s always a Kelly Taylor move… every time there’s a which shall she choose cliffhanger, it’s always ‘I choose me’. Just once I’d like the writers to do something original…

2. Mary says:

I loved this episode. I’m thrilled we are getting back to this show being about Mindy. Can’t wait for season 5!!

My favorite part was the end when she was so happy she picked herself. This was such a positive step for Mindy as woman and a mother,Leo is going to need it considering his father.

While it would have been great if Mindy Kaling’s original plan could have worked with Mindy and Danny and they stay together I loved them too. But Chris Messina quit so she had to change and she did it keeping Danny in character while showing the growth Mindy has had. This was realistic, respectful to the love the couple feels for each other and honest.

• Nicole says:

Except the show had built them up to be such a couple to root for. Remember the finale on the top of the tower? If he quit why couldn’t they write him out in a way that left it open for them to be end game, which now seems impossible for how they ruined his character and made him so unlikable.

• Kay says:

Because that’s life. Sometimes relationships feel so real, so true, and then things don’t work out. That’s real, and it’s hard. And you move on. This show didn’t set out to write the love story of the century, it is telling the story of Mindy. And if she winds up with someone amazing, great! And if not, great! I just want to see her grow as a person and find who she’s meant to be, not necessarily who she’s meant to be with. And I think that’s the story the writers are concerned with, too.

• Mary says:

Your answer is so much better then mine! Exactly it’s not the story of Mindy and Danny it’s the story of Mindy!

• Mary says:

I don’t think they’ve slammed that door, I personally don’t care if they have this is life sometimes people aren’t right for each other. The last scene of tonight showed these are two people who love each other but are in different places, need different things. They wrote him true to who he has always been, this is who Danny has been he tried to evolve for Mindy but couldn’t change, so did she and couldn’t. They didn’t leave it wide open because what if he doesn’t come back, what if they find a new guy more popular, what if they go the Mary Tyler Moore route and have her single? They left the options open including potential Danny.

This thread that Danny has been villianized by some fans is bull this is who he is and always has been, they just stopped giving him the episodic grand gestures to make up for it.

• Effie says:

I feel like Mindy and Danny was for the show, if it had lasted 2-3 seasons, which is all it would have lasted without Hulu. Even if her hand was forced, I think breaking them up was the right decision for the show, assuming they didn’t want to reboot it as Everybody Loves Raymond. I am happy to watch a funny show without all the fighting and tension. According to, I think, Glamour magazine, Rhea Perlman will be back, which had been the main selling point for Danny for a while, so I’m glad. If Mindy and Danny get back together in the last episodes of the show, I guess that would be okay, but the magic has sort of gone out of it for me, so I’d be happy if that didn’t happen. As in real life, sometimes it is time to move on.

• koan1011 says:

I would have preferred if they recast the character of Danny rather than trying to keep him in the show but as a recurring character.
      It annoys me when shows have to change story or direction because of cast changes rather than because the story needs it.

3. Glad I gave up watching the show because I’m still so angry over how they ruined Danny and Danny/Mindy. Yeah, he was a jerk before but the character assassination makes me rage. And I am not here for Jody and them pushing Mindy/Jody on us (which I’m sure will happen at some point).

4. MK says:

I know Chris Messina wanted to do other things but I just hate the direction Danny took on the show. I thought he was changing, then bam let’s slide backward in character development. It may not be realistic but I wanted the happily ever after for the two of them :(

5. EB says:

I like Chris Messina as an actor a lot, but holy hell, Danny has ALWAYS been the worst!!!! Even when he was at his most likeable and I was supposed to be rooting for them, I just couldn’t — it felt so wrong. Thank god this played out the way that it did.

6. MRD says:

There could have been ways to write Danny out of the show due to Chris Messina’s schedule that would not have destroyed his character over the past couple of seasons. And Mindy treated Jody pretty shabbily at the end of the episode after the writers forced this pairing on us in season 4. I like Garret Dillahunt and hope Jody stays on the show regardless of his romantic involvement with Mindy whereas Danny can go away for good. Rhea Perlman can be the Castellano family presence on the show. The show needs to move on to new premises to continue and not be stale.

7. Niki says:

What did Jody say at the end? He yells, “You could have had a white man…” is all I could understand.

8. James says:

Can’t they just write Jody and Colette off? Ugh.

9. kegerch says:

Honestly, I’m still hoping this is all malaria induced delusion from her time with Pastor Casey in that 3rd world country. Besides the fact that I still love Casey, I really did love Danny and hate what they did there. The story line probably came about because they thought each season would be their last, but…waaaaah! I’m sad. And everyone knows that introducing babies is the beginning of the end for shows. Did I mention I’m sad?

• Wooster182 says:

Ha! I would love for Casey to grow up and come back as the guy I’ve always loved and the guy that Mindy fell in love with. He really was her best boyfriend.

This was a great episode but I’m disappointed with how they finished the Jody/Mindy storyline. He grew to be such a great man and they ruin it in two minutes. And she’s had a crush on him for several episodes but now she doesn’t feel a spark? Doesn’t make sense?

10. S says:

Anybody know if Netflix Canada will be acquiring these week by week? Or if they’ll all be dumped at the end of the season? I can’t remember how they handled season 4

11. Allee says:

I remember the time before I realized Mindy and Danny were supposed to be end game when I just thought it was great that she was dating Josh and wearing nice outfits and going to clubs and occasionally trying to be a better person. I hope we get that show back now that the Danny nonsense is over.

12. Lauren says:

Season 2 is one of my all time favourite seasons of a comedy series, but I think that’s where it ends for me. I love Danny too much to sit through this character assassination.

• Kit says:

100% with you. I am seriously considering cancelling my Hulu now. I only got it for The Mindy Project, & the direction they are taking makes it too sad for me to keep watching. The use of Leo as a prop rather than a real cog in the machinery of the storylines has also contributed to my loathing of a show I once enjoyed so much :(

13. Shannon says:

I thought the end of Danny and Mindy was pretty realistic. Opposites might attract but in this case did not make great life partners. And I guess I’m in the minority but I kind of like her and Jody. He is quirky and odd but supportive and damn hot. I wouldn’t mind seeing it explored more, especially if they keep him in jeans and leather jackets!

14. melissa says:

The story no longer makes sense.

I actually liked Jody as a possible love interest for Mindy. He took the time to get to know her and he was willing to give her a sincere relationship. I don’t understand why this show focuses on creating great male leading characters to only make them exit the show in the most annoying way possible.

Examples: Casey was a great character devoted to Mindy and all of the sudden he had this Peter Pan complex and was incredibly tedious. Drew was also good after Danny and then he had some bad commitment issues. Jody was set up as a sore loser after Mindy decided to pass on him to be more independent and almost immediately starting something up with nurse Ben. Danny was by the far one of the most disappointing one. Regardless that their relationship didn’t work out, they just made him look like the ultimate douche when he slept with Mindy before his new and random wedding. Even Dr.Reed went from confident english babe to a whinny english muffin.

Also, the show feels empty due to the the lack of story/scenes for the supporting characters .

• Kit says:

100% agree with you and will add that the writers also got rid of her first, non-Jeremy love interest, Josh, quickly with a similar change of character. I really liked Josh – Inigo Montoya for Halloween was priceless & his Foreman grill cooking was adorable. It’s become a tedious and annoying pattern. It’s revealing a new underlying disdain for men & sending a bad message about men being untrustworthy. I have, somewhat reluctantly, stopped watching the show and will likely cancel Hulu.