Code Black Ratings

Ratings: Code Black Returns Steady vs. Finale, Amid Season 2 Cast Shake-Up

Despite suffering some backlash in the wake of multiple off-season cast changes, CBS’ Code Black returned on Wednesday to 6.4 million total viewers and a 1.2 demo rating (per finals), on par with its February finale.

Versus its freshman launch, though, it was down 27 and 20 percent. TVLine readers gave the “2.0” premiere an average grade of “B.”

Opening the Eye’s night, Survivor (9.2 mil/2.1) slipped 14 and 9 percent from its premiere. Criminal Minds (8.9 mil/1.9) kicked off Season 12 down 12 percent and a tenth from its year-ago opener (and likely hit all-time premiere lows) but was up a tick from its May finale.

Elsewhere on the night….

ABC | black-ish (5.6 mil/1.6) dropped 30 percent in the demo from its season opener. Designated Survivor (8 mil/1.8) slipped 21 and 18 percent from its debut, but is up 68 and 64 percent from Nashville‘s year-ago numbers. The Goldbergs (6.6 mil/1.9) dipped just a tenth, while Speechless (6.4 mil/1.8) and Modern Family (7.4 mil/2.3) were both down 10 percent.

FOX | Lethal Weapon (7.2 mil/2.0) and Empire (9.7 mil/3.7) dipped 9 and 12 percent in the demo versus their respective season openers, with the latter as typical dominating the night.

NBC | Blindspot (5.6 mil/1.3) was steady week-to-week, Chicago PD (6.1 mil/1.5) dipped a tenth and SVU (6.1 mil/1.5) slipped two tenths.

1. David says:

Wow. Mysteries of Laura had better ratings then Blindspot.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

A larger audience (7.4 mil) a year ago, yes, but the same 1.2 demo rating. (And BLINDSPOT is likely adjusting up to a 1.3.) LAURA Season 2 averaged 7 mil/1.1, and last did 7.4 mil/1.2 in the time slot.

• Boiler says:

Yea David, huge mistake. Don’t care about demo but if they like 1.8 million fewer viewers something is wrong with the system. They keep going by demo nobody will be left to watch:)

• Katherine215 says:

The current system still values the demo (i.e. people who advertisers believe can be swayed by advertising) more than older people they believe won’t be influenced by it. I agree tv habits are changing and should be considered, but networks have not yet found a consistent system to monetize television the way advertising does. Until that happens, demo will still be king.

• Boiler says:

Wish you were wrong. Either the demo age needs to increase about 5 years at each end or dump it. Viewership is dropping and one reason is the programming to the demo. Right or not it is actually idiocy. If they believe older people not swayed by advertising they are idiots

2. Mommaknowsbest says:

Am I reading that all shows lost viewers? Where did everyone go??

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

People don’t always come back for seconds. Plus, CRIM MINDS and CODE BLACK eyeballs had to be stolen from somewhere.

3. Mara says:

Code Black has lost me for good. Tried to watch the premiere but I so enjoyed it better last season with those characters. I bet there are a lot of other people too who will not be tuning in anymore. They ruined the show.

• wrstlgirl says:

Your hated for Code Black is well noted but “ruined the show”. I’m not so sure about that.

• dan says:

I actually liked the reboot of Code Black more than I expected. I’ll watch again next week before deciding to add to DVR season pass.

• CK says:

I really enjoyed Code Black last season. Tried watching last night’s premier and …. I’m done, too. I wouldn’t say they “ruined” the show, but I don’t like the new characters and I don’t like the direction the show has taken. Maybe some other people will like the show — and that’s great.. But I just took it off my DVR recording list.

• bj says:

I can’t understand why they would make the head of OR the head of the ER too. Is it just to keep the nasty guy in everyone’s face more often? A head of surgery should be busy enough in his own dept. And I loved Dr. Rorish as the head. That change alone has really turned me off.

• CK says:

That’s one of the changes in direction I was referring to. Can’t stand that character and that’s another big reason while I will no longer be watching. While I have no idea how the power structure in actual hospitals works, having the head of surgery also oversee the ER just doesn’t make sense.

4. kmw says:

Everyone slipping is to be expected but I bet ABC is at least happy with DS bein stronger than Nashville at least for now. Even Empire and Lethal Weapon’s drop isn’t that bad considering FOX’S other nights, but poor Blackish and Blindspot. Its move to Wed was bad even if their demo number is higher than Laura

5. Whatevah8 says:

After Blackish’s 1/2 hour Disney commercial last week I’m not surprised at this drop.

6. kate says:

I always find it funny when the early ratings report all report that everything is down….what were people watching. Personally, Tuesdays are pretty full for me, so I was watching Scream Queens and Agents of Shield then I watched AHS, Empire and Designated Survivor are weekend DVR watchers for me. And likely will stay there once the CW comes back on the air next week.

7. Tom Hunter says:

Sad black-ish dipped so much. It was easily one of their funniest episodes. Goldbergs remains a favorite just for all its craziness. Speechless I didn’t expect to like at all but have found it to be extremely well written, funny. Modern Family peaked about two years ago. It’s now just ‘ok’ for me.

8. Lethal Weapon is surprisingly good. Best show of the night. Designated Survivor has potential, but they keep too much focus on the president’s family, which is incredulous considering the events that a president would be facing at this point. I doubt if he would even see his family for the first two weeks after such a catastrophic event. I’d like to see more of the dynamics required in putting a government back together and investigating the bombing than a melodrama about the family. There’s enough shows about families–this one could be different.

• KayCeeCee says:

Lethal Weapon is great fun! I hope that people don’t stop watching it.

• Kenny Jones says:

Lethal Weapon has been the surprise of the season for me, I really thought it was going to be a cookie cutter reboot but damn they really refreshed the show Damon Wayans is awlfully good and the man who plays Riggs is really good, McG does a really good job with the action. LOVE this show ALOT!!

• Katherine215 says:

Agree on both your points! Loving Lethal Weapon, and I thought Kirkman spent entirely too much time sitting around chit-chatting with his wife or finding quiet rooms to think. I really have a hard time believing he’d have a moment of quiet for himself, let alone to chat with his wife several times or wander around doing nothing.

9. Elaine says:

I am liking the new “Designated Survivor” so its a good thing my DVR is available. DVR Designated Survivor and Code Black and watch Chicago PD. Makes good weekend watching.

• CK says:

I have Designated Survivor and Chicago PD on my DVR. Haven’t watched Designated Survivor yet, but I’m looking forward to it. I’ve seen the first Chicago PD and will watch the second one later tonight. But as I mentioned earlier, I’m done with Code Black. Really liked the first season. But they lost me with all the changes they made.

10. Penny says:

Really glad Lethal Weapons numbers are (while still down) doing well. Surprise hit for our household and am hoping it sticks around!

11. Laurie says:

I was so looking forward to the Code Black season premier, chose it over watching another show at the same time…that won’t happen again. Christa and Neal added so much to it…was losing your fan base worth saving money by hiring cheaper actors? Very disappointed, probably not going to watch anymore…too flat now.

12. Laurie says:

I enjoyed Designated Survivor last week but decided to watch it on demand ,wanted to watch season pre of Code Black…Next week…I will be watching Designated Survivor and don’t think I will be watching Code Black anymore….unless Christa and Neal come back.