Secrets And Lies Recap

Secrets and Lies Season Premiere Recap: Who Killed Kate Warner?

Notoriously bad detective Andrea Cornell returned to ABC on Sunday for a second season of Secrets and Lies and Trench Coats. And this time… wait for it… she thinks the husband did it.

Following last season’s Ben Crawford blunder, Cornell (Juliette Lewis) is now on the case of Eric Warner (Almost Human‘s Michael Ealy), suspected of killing his wife Kate (Dallas‘ Jordana Brewster) during a retirement party for his father (Lost‘s Terry O’Quinn).

In Cornell’s defense, Eric certainly isn’t helping his case — unless you think it was smart of him to scream “I did not kill my wife!” during her wake. On top of that, if he has an “explanation” for being on the roof when she fell, why didn’t he just come out and say it? (Side note: When Eric’s brother assured him, “This cop is not on your side,” my first thought was, “At least somebody in this family watched Season 1!”)

Adding to Eric’s guilty appearance was the episode-ending reveal that he previously spent time at a juvenile detention center for (he says) accidentally killing a man named Steven Porter.

Of course, Eric isn’t the only person withholding information this season. Kate’s autopsy revealed that, while was pregnant with Eric’s baby at the time of her death, her body showed signs of already having given birth. (“Mr. Warner, you didn’t know your wife had another man’s baby?” might be my favorite line from the premiere.)

At this point, we don’t have much to go on — other than the fact that the killer must have been someone at John’s retirement party — but that won’t stop me from playing detective. Here’s my current list of suspects:

* Sure, I guess Eric could have done it, but that wouldn’t be very fun. Next!

* Maybe it’s just PTSD from watching every episode of 666 Park Avenue, but I don’t trust O’Quinn’s character. Sure, John welcomed Kate into the family in flashbacks, but that was before Eric inherited the firm. Perhaps he knew that Eric didn’t make Kate sign a prenup, and was merely protecting his family’s assets?

* I’ve also got my eye on Eric’s “buddy,” played by Witches of East End‘s Eric Winter. Every single one of his lines — including “It’s always the husband… except this time!” and “For obvious reasons, I don’t trust women” — were, at the very least, worthy of an eyebrow raise.

* Maybe Eric’s not-dead mother decided to crash the party and finally meet her new daughter-in-law.

* And here’s another crazy one: If Kate had her first baby when she was a teenager, I’m confident that he/she would now be old enough to push her off a roof. … But is this theory really that much of a stretch? (Let’s not forget who killed Tom last season!)

* Heck, let’s throw AnnaLynne McCord’s character in the mix, too. I have no real reason to suspect her, but I’d like to think the Queen of Primetime™ is more than just a third-tier character in this scenario.

Who do you think killed Kate? Grade the premiere below, then drop a comment with your own list of suspects.

1. My first thought was the killer was either Eric’s sister or Annalynne McCord’s character. :)

2. wrstlgirl says:

Some of these people seem awfully unaffected by Kate’s death making them all suspicious, lol.

3. Sheila says:

I didn’t watch last season & only tuned in for Michael Ealy. Is it a good show? I have issues with Juliette Lewis but might be able to let them slide.

• Michelle says:

I loved it last season. Well worth watching.

• Jim says:

Yeah, surprisingly. On paper it doesn’t sound like anything special, in practice the writers are really on their game.

• The Beach says:

Nope, if you have issues with Lewis you should skip it. She was the most irritating and worst acted character last season and this looks to be just more of the same. Ryan Philippe saved last season although Lewis did her best to ruin it. JMO

• Aleta Braxton says:

Juliette Lewis’ character Cornell seems cold and one-dimentional, but it turns out that she is very focused and has feelings. Her method may seem harsh, but it seems to work to get to the details. Last season, I didn’t care for her until I had seen all the episodes and saw more sides to her. I don’t believe she’s supposed to be likeable. Turns out to be very effective. In other words, she grew on me.

• last season was superb – I doubt this one will measure up

• Andrea says:

It’s a GREAT show! Loved last season too!

4. Dave says:

I’ve missed this show. This seasons cast is stellar.

5. Carl says:

The sister (attorney). I thought it strange that she did not embrace her at the party when she kissed and hugged her brother and the wanted acknowledgement that she was responsible for their relationship. In addition she did not go take part when her brother and father were interviewed by the detective.

6. skrable2a says:

My favorite moment was when Juliette Lewis goes full sneer and bashes Eric sister for being “a public defender.”

7. N says:

I loved it! Hope it’s as twisty as last year.

8. ninergrl6 says:

I wasn’t as immediately engrossed tonight as I was from the start of season 1, possibly because of the nature of the crimes, but I’ll definitely keep watching. EVERYONE is a suspect IMO. As we saw last season, it’s probably the person you least suspect.

9. ToyCannon says:

Was there any mention of Ben’s fate from season one? Did he die in prison as the webisode suggested?

10. Red Snapper says:

I liked it but I didn’t find it as compelling as the first season. So far no one really stands out as the killer to me. I don’t think the husband did it but you never know. Oh, how I love to hate Detective Cornwall. I can’t wait to see what her and her sneer are going to do to ruin the husband’s life.

11. Mika02 says:

I believe it was his sister that said “The cop is not on your side.” I agree with all of your assessment of the suspects. I already like this season much better then season 1.

12. Amelia says:

My initial guess is either Annalynne McCord’s character or whoever her first baby daddy was.

13. Paris says:

It’s obviously the man who married them killed Kate. He pushed the pastor off cliff into the pool. Duhhh.

14. Bonnie Schaufel says:

Great show, love Lewis……

15. Al says:

Right now I’m leaning towards Amanda Warner. She knew Kate was with child, telling Cornell “no she wasn’t drinking”. And she is quick to tell Eric not to talk to her unless Im there. But I’m still suspicious of a few others. Also did you see Kate’s first child, yep when the crowd first started to gather, he was the guy in the coat and tie with plaid shirt moving through the crowd.

16. shadester says:

I was not wowed with this season like last season. I thought it was cheesy unpredictable and bad acting. And these people were very inappropriate about someone dying. Where was the grieving. Especially the best friend. I suspect the baby is not the husbands. I don’t think she was even going to tell him but he found out.

17. the sister, the attorney

18. Joanna says:

Good show!! Love the actors.

19. Aleta Braxton says:

I agree that it could be anyone, but way too soon to tell. They’ve gotta keep us hanging to the end, right? (Sponsors to answer to). I don’t trust Terry O’Quinn either, but that would be too obvious too soon. And I love trying to get a handle on all the characters and their back stories. I must also give kudos to Juliette Lewis whose acting has grown leaps and bounds in her role as Cornell.

20. It can’t be AnnaLynne McCord’s character because she’s just a guest starring role. Not a regular.

• chadcronin says:

No necessarily. She could fall into the background to try and make suspicion stay away from her and maybe only be in 4 or 5 episodes. Now you are making me think it’s her!

21. I’m going for a Damage scenario – the baby was the dad’s and she was going to come clean, so he killed her. Maybe even by accident in a struggle.

22. Riojag says:

I think she had the PO box to keep in contact with her first child and to keep her away from her new life and paid her off. I think the father raped her or the had a one nite stand, she told someone in the office via email that she was pregnant, the sister found out and killed her bc she wanted her to abort it as the child would be completely Caucasian. She’ll say it was an accident but in the end will say that if she just aborted it, this wouldn’t have happened. She’ll say they fought over a guy from law school Kate stole from her.

23. Paul says:

Wouldn’t the best surprise be Michael Ealy actually being the killer!

24. Natalia mafla says:

I think the sister has something to do with it. And I think the friend played by Eric winter is a ghost from the past. He’s more than likely Steven porter the one Eric killed in the past.

25. Andrea says:

It was Eric’s brother

26. LR says:

Juliette Lewis has got to go. She ruins this show. Overacting and annoying. Good premise and so many better actors to choose from! I can’t even watch her on screen!

• Andrea says:

I think Juliette Lewis is great for this part…. She’s really spices things up! Not sure why we have to live through her personal problems with her daughter though?? I wonder if somehow the detective’s daughter had a role in the murder????