Fall TV Preview
The Flash Spoilers Season 3

The Flash's Candice Patton Teases 'Sweet' Barry/Iris Scenes in Season 3

The Flash will change things up in a big way in Season 3 with the Flashpoint alternate timeline, but one thing will remain the same amidst the disturbance: Barry and Iris’ love.

No matter how much the speedster tinkers with the timeline in the premiere episode (airing Oct. 4 at 8/7c on The CW), Iris remains “his constant,” the girl that he pines for in every reality, star Candice Patton (Iris) tells TVLine.

“You’ll get to see Barry try and woo her in Flashpoint,” the actress previews. “It’s really, really sweet. It reminds me of the pilot.”

Beyond the time trip, Barry’s choices will have life-altering consequences for his friends and family, Patton reveals. Read on to find out who’s “different” post-Flashpoint and who remembers what.

TVLINE | Let’s talk about Flashpoint, specifically from Iris’ perspective.
[She] is very similar to all of the Irises you’ve ever seen, and that’s something that we’re trying to make clear on the show. No matter where Barry goes, what timeline, what Earth, Iris is his constant in the world. She’s always the Iris that he loves.

The Flash Spoilers Season 3TVLINE | Do we see a different side of her? Do we see other aspects of her that have yet to be revealed in the other timeline?
Well, there are things that have changed. Barry going back in time has changed everything. So everyone’s a little bit different. If anyone is close to who they are, it’s Iris, for sure. But everyone’s been affected. When we come back from Flashpoint, you’ll see that everyone’s life is a little bit different than how we remember it.

TVLINE | What was fun for you in playing that?
The best part of that was playing Barry and me meeting for the first time. It reminds me of the pilot. When you see them for the first time together, there’s something very magical about that, and we recreate that in Flashpoint. [Director] Kevin Smith was talking about it. He said he saw the first episode, and there was something really, really special about it. I would agree. I think fans are going to really enjoy that.

TVLINE | Is Barry the only one that’s aware of the changes?
Barry is aware of changes, and we all slowly become aware of things being different in other timelines.

TVLINE | Last year, there was some discussion that Iris might be needing a little more agency in her life. Do we see that in this season?
I think she’s had it, especially in Season 2. She’s joined the S.T.A.R. Labs team. She’s helping solve meta human crimes in Central City with the rest of the team. Sometimes I feel like I’m in S.T.A.R. Labs more than any other set. So yeah, there’s definitely more of that this season, and I’m always advocating for her to be at Picture News and be the reporter. I think that’s slow going, but I’m hoping for more of that, for sure.

TVLINE | Do we see Iris being connected with any other characters that you haven’t spent a ton of time with in previous seasons?
I don’t know. This season, to me, feels a lot like all of us [are] together all the time. There’s a lot of us in S.T.A.R. Labs, the core S.T.A.R. Labs team, and then there’s me and Wally and Joe. Everyone’s kind of always together as the team. So you’ll see a lot of that. We’re all part of the team.

(With reporting by Scott Huver)

1. Ian says:

Lol. So nothing’s changed for her character for the better still. Let me just go and die of shock.

• Ian says:

Oh, but at least he’ll always be pining for her. So that’s something.
      …unless this is half a season ago and your name is Patty.

• Mik says:

You seem upset. And bitter.

• Mik says:

Thank you so much for some post-FP news!! I’m excited to see how Iris has changed, I think Candice hinted at SDCC that she may have gotten a promotion at CCPN, so it would be nice to see more of that. And I’m glad they are FINALLY having her in on solving Meta crimes, she IS an investigative reporter.

• Muffy says:

Which is unrealistic. I know comic books are supposed to be unrealistic, but it’s annoying when comics do that. No, you would not love the same person in every timeline. You cannot miss something you never had.

• Mik says:

You can if it’s destiny. You are just not a romantic.

• Emily says:

It’s not unrealistic given the rules set down by the Flash universe. Doppelgangers existing means that the same DNA combinations had to occur, so it is literally destiny that you procreate with the same people in other parallel universes.

At the same time, it is still our Barry in Flashpoint, so of course he still loves Iris. And why wouldn’t she fall in love with him right back if she’s still the same core person and he’s still himself? If they never met, then sure they don’t fall in love. But he’s seeking her out, so they do.

2. Piper says:

The premiere is going to be good for westallen fans. Can’t wait to see. Thanks for the interview.

3. myrcellasear says:

So glad we’re finally getting some post-flashpoint info on Iris. Candice is such a sweetheart, and I love her take on the character.

4. brit brit says:

Great interview! So excited to see more Iris and Westallen! Also, Candice is so freaking gorgeous!

5. Anna Banana says:

Westallen is on the rise! So here for this!

6. Diana says:

Thanks for the interview! Excited to see what’s coming up for Barry and Iris. As much as I like the group scenes with everyone I feel that sometimes characters get lost in those, so I hope we still have plenty of scenes with just 2 or 3 characters.

7. bsmj says:

I’ve never been so excited for a show to return in my entire life. I can’t wait to see Candy rock her role as Iris West!

8. Dyne Porter says:

I am so excited for this upcoming season. I am very much looking forward to seeing The West Family and how Flashpoint has changed their dynamic. Give me Wally and Iris being cute and adorable siblings. I’m ready for Iris West to be out there doing investigative journalism and of course all the Westallen my heart can handle. If the teasers are any indicators of how the season is going to be then things are looking good.

9. Kristina says:

Sounds like it’s going to be a good season! I really wasn’t sold on the Barry/Iris pairing at first, possibly because we came in in the middle of him pining for her while she was dating someone else. And, as wonderful as the Barry/Joe relationship is, the semi-sibling dynamic kinda freaked me out. But both of the actors bring so much warmth and chemistry to the roles and relationship, they totally sold me on it after a while. Very excited to see them move forward and what else is in store this season.

10. Paula says:

Badass Boss Lady Iris, KidFlash handling business with Flash, ReverseFlash being his snarky know-it-all self, Cisco being a nice billionaire once you get to know him, my babies WestAllen being in love with each other in another TL, LORDT!!
    IT’S GONNA BE LIT

11. Mo says:

So. Nothing’s changed, more of the same. zzzz

12. Tamara says:

Great interview!Candice understands her character and the Flashso well, it’s a pleasure getting her perspective. Grant and Candice are my favorite actors on the CW and I love seeing them work together. The Flash has the best cast–chemistry city. Very excited for season 3 and happy to have a show to love.

13. GraceM says:

Iris need a little more “agency in her life”? What does mean?

14. Emily says:

I wish the writers would let go of STAR Labs so much and let Barry be a CSI at CCPD and Iris be a reporter at CCPN more often. It’s more fun imo to see their real lives intersect with metahumans, so they have to think up a solution on the fly. Watching a bunch of people at STAR Labs pretend to science up solutions is more static and less exciting.

BUT that’s ok, for now I will be excited that Westallen get cute scenes and that “Iris is always Iris.”

• ndixit says:

I am sorry, but a large number of people, including me, love the Star labs stuff, watching Barry, Caitlin, Cisco, and Tom work together was one of the best parts of the first season. I don’t mind Iris being a part of it but sidelining Barry to just be a CSI without his Star labs interactions would be boring.

• AOTR says:

Very good point. I too hope to see less star labs and see everyone in their own element more. Especially Iris. That has been my wish since season 1. It’s been nice to see a glimpse of it in seadon 2 but I hope for more of it in season 3.

15. Micaela says:

Thank you so much for this. I’ve been so excited for this season and every interview by Candice raises my excitement and expectation levels. Keeping every finger and toe crossed that the show delivers on Iris’s Reporter arc this season, since it looks like they have finally decided to let westallen rise (thank god). Let’s go season 3

16. Lea says:

Barry and Iris should already know each other. They were friends at the time Barry saved his mom. So at the very least they would be meeting for the first time in a while. They would not be meeting for the first time ever.

• Mik says:

I think you know what Candice meant. But it is possible that she and Barry were not friends in elementary school. It’s also possible that they lost contact in middle school or something. I couldn’t name really anyone that I was “friends” with in elementary school because we ended up in different schools for middle school.

17. Nichole says:

I feel like the Iris Barry relationship stuff is off putting at times. I can understand in the first season Barry loving Iris from afar, but she was in love and engaged to Eddie, who sacrificed himself to save Iris and the world as such. Barry moved on with Patty, a storyline that seemed to be wasted as before you know it Patty is left and Barry is professing his feelings to Iris. Iris states she’s not ready to move on yet after Eddie (fair enough) and then it’s back to pinning from afar. Another season of Barry/Iris relationship drama is not something I am looking forward to. Either deal with it and have them become a couple, or leave it alone for a while and have it organically emerge again at a future date.

It’s hard to tell how much time has passed over the course of a season, but I personally feel that Iris looking to get into a relationship, especially with someone she grow up with like a brother, is too fast and honestly a little creepy for the timeline that has been set out. I know they are not actually related, but they lived in the same house and where raised as siblings to all intents and purposes, I just feel the move from a sibling type affection to “the one” type love is something that might happen over a longer period of time, or after some years of distance. But hey, I haven’t read the comics and generally find relationship drama between lead characters infused in what is a more procedural type show pretty annoying.

18. The Barry/Iris storyline is tiring. Every time he starts to get close to her he has to go and screw up the timeline so they’re starting again from the start.

19. lordofluck says:

I just have never cared for them together this just makes me less interested in the show returning.

20. I’m glad to hear Candice’s thoughts on the new season. I expected Barry and Iris would still be drawn to each other in the new timeline but Candice makes their encounter sound even more exciting than what I pictured lol. I can’t wait! Love The Flash, Barry, Iris, and the whole team. Long live WestAllen :D

21. dramakid says:

I agree with most people. Barry as a CSI is way more fun than S.T.A.R lab Barry. we hardly see more of Caitlin or Cisco or Harrison wells outside S.T.A.R labs. it’s like their whole life is dedicated to staying in the lab. i hope they tone it down this season.
    Meanwhile, the thought of Barry/Iris being together is definitely something to look forward to.

22. aura says:

I’m so pumped for season 3. It’s been nothing but exciting news so far on the Iris and Barry and Iris front which i couldn’t be more pleased about. I’m hoping the EPs pull through with all this scoop they’e been dropping and they don’t drop the ball as much as they did in 2A imo. Though I’m guessing that shouldn’t be to much of a worry since they wont be setting up a new show and there wont be any pointless love interest delaying Barry and Iris. So her’s to an amazing season to come (I hope) filled with all the things I’ve heard the EPs wax poetic about heart humour and spectacle lots and lots of it.