The Good Wife Spinoff

Good Wife Spinoff Sets February Premiere as Robert and Michelle King Formally Take Showrunner Reins

Attention, Good Wife fans: Court will reconvene in early 2017.

The in-the-works Good Wife spinoff — starring Christine Baranski (Diane) and Cush Jumbo (Lucca) — will launch earlier than expected — this February — on CBS, before moving exclusively to CBS All Access.

The move comes in conjunction with CBS’ decision to push the launch of Star Trek: Discovery from January to May.

Additionally, Good Wife creators Robert and Michelle King will formally serve as showrunners on the offshoot. Meanwhile, Phil Alden Robinson — who co-wrote the premiere episode with the Kings — will not be involved with the series beyond Episode 1.

With the Kings once again fully immersed in all things Good Wife, it’s probably safe to assume their CBS passion project BrainDeadwhich wrapped its first season last Sunday — will not be back for a second season.

As previously reported, the spinoff will pick up one year after Diane KO’d Alicia in last May’s Good Wife series finale. And although Julianna Margulies isn’t currently set to appear, Michelle King recently hinted that “we might see Alicia.”

“It’ll be fun to build [the company] anew,” Michelle shared, adding that the currently untitled series will likely feature other familiar faces beyond Diane and Lucca. “But also,” King added, “the thinking is new characters.”

1. Cactus Rose says:

Why is everything moving to CBS All Access? Is that a pay-per-view thing? if it is, you’ve lost me. Single people can barely afford cable let alone pay for one single channel to view! Guess I didn’t like the Good Wife that much after all.

• Lisa says:

I loved the Good Wife but I feel the same way. And I am a Big Brother fan and I won’t be watching the fall one as it is on all access.

• Jeenee says:

Yeah, my thinking exactly. Too many expenses for people to have to bear when just living expenses are outrageously expensive and I cannot afford more to pay. I am sick of paying more and more for these “special” things online. Nope, no All Access for me.

• Jeenee says:

Plus I forgot to say that the breaks built in to the shows for commercials are ignored by CBS when presenting it online…they do not break their commercials in this clear down time as other network online shows do..they break in mid-word, interrupt the flow of the program and the characters who are speaking due to their lack of expertise in inserting commercials.

Make it stop…Please CBS at least get the annoying commercials in the proper place and do not spoil the story in the process.

• danielle bean says:

Ditto. CBS thinks they’ve found a new revenue stream by charging for what used to be free to the viewer. That’s what commercials are for – to pay for content. I refuse to pay the broadcast networks for content, even for GF spinning off two of my favorite characters.

• Andrea says:

@Cactus Rose, CBS All Access is the network’s streaming service. CBS wants to be like Netflix and Amazon. Yes, you have to pay for it, and like you, I’m also passing. I’m not paying for it, no matter how much I liked The Good Wife.

• fiberlicious says:

Add me to the “not paying any more” contingent.

2. Cranky says:

Any news on how Canadians will be able to watch this?

• MMD says:

I think we’ll be sh*t out of luck as usual. Thankfully it’s not a show I ever watched. And the main networks wonder why they’re losing viewers………………….

3. Dietrich says:

If Julianna Margulies is not coming back, why watch? I certainly won’t …

4. abz says:

So it will air each week on TV before moving to the CBS streaming site?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Only the premiere. Same as Star Trek.

• LynnH says:

Just so it’s really clear… only the first episode will be on regular TV? If we want to see any of the other episodes we have to pay to watch? Why wouldn’t they put the whole series on TV, then move the whole series to their pay streaming service? If I’m understanding this correctly, CBS is nuts. I’m not going to bother with the premiere then. I’m already paying too much for cable, and a monthly Netflix charge. But, with Netflix, you get tons of shows. Again, CBS is nuts!

• LynnH says:

Also, your first paragraph does not make this clear. You say “The in-the-works Good Wife spinoff … will launch earlier than expected — this February — on CBS, before moving exclusively to CBS All Access.” You should change this to say that the spinoff will be available on CBS All Access (which you have to pay for), and the premiere only will air on CBS.

• Chrippy says:

It was pretty clear to me. Maybe you’re the problem, notMichael.

• lindsay says:

I agree. It definitely reads as confusing and seemingly as though the whole run will start on CBS first, in February, before moving to CBS All Access for internet streaming. (And I’m a professional editor.) No need to get snarky at her just because she pointed out a need for clarification. It’s not like she was personally attacking Ausiello or his writing.

• LynnH says:

Thank you! I love Michael Ausiello and have enjoyed his articles since his column in TV Guide. Definitely not an attack.

5. Lisa says:

Is CBS all access a pay per view offshoot? If so, not liking that.

6. Sam says:

After that lousy finale of The Good Wife i’m not sure i’m willing to give the KIngs another chance. Make concentrating on less characters will bring out a good series. Either way i won’t be rushing to watch this one.

• bobbie says:

My thoughts exactly, Sam. I don’t have a problem paying for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, but CBS is going to have to prove that their shows are worth it and after the Good Wife debacle the Kings leave a sour taste in my mouth.

We’ll see if Star Trek works, but honestly it has been remade and repackaged so many times that it’s going to have to take some real sparkle to make me want to revisit that series.

7. nabocane says:

Aaaaaannnnnddd…without even filming the first episode, having the Kings as showrunners sends this officially over the shark.
    Why can’t those two just go off and find a nice soap opera to ruin? In Mexico?

8. MattySi says:

Any word yet on a title?

9. Barb says:

OMG, so happy, loved The Good Wife and all the actors, they were great, will be looking forward to the new show.

10. Jeff says:

It’s too bad. I LOVED The Good Wife. However, I won’t pay for what should be and was “free” television. I already pay more than I should for it.

11. evababy says:

CBS wants people to pay $6.00 a month for this show an Star Trek on their poor quality streaming All Access platform and still show commercials? Or hey, pay $10.00 a month and we’ll remove ads but still give you sketchy service. They may as well plaster ‘Please Pirate Us!!’ on all their networks.

12. Elaine says:

What a shame! This spin off has wonderful actors ( Baranski and Jumbo). Why isn’t it on cable instead of streaming? Cable already charges too much for the few quality shows they have on it. Come on CBS. Step up and do the right thing.

13. Lisa Echerd says:

While I’d like to see this, I’m not paying for CBS’s awful player. CBS has plenty of room in their schedule to make this a regular series. There will no doubt be something that fails by the time this is ready to air and it could fill an empty slot.

14. CBS All Access? Pffft, looks like I’ll stick with my first love — what do you call ’em? — BOOKS!

15. HAP says:

I already pay way too much for the various services that I watch. All, I can say is screw CBS!

16. MJens says:

O please, they must have the Tascioni’s back! Those two were some of the best characters ever!

17. suzie says:

I agree that CBS is crazy if they think people can afford to pay extra to see the show.
    If it stays on regular TV I will watch and I would like to see Alan Cumming as Eli Gold. He was the best character on that show along with Julianna Marguiles as Alicia Florrick of course. I loved the character Carrie Preston as Elsbeth Tasiconi as well.