Exclusive
Major Crimes Camryn Manheim

Major Crimes Casts Camryn Manheim to Potentially Replace [Spoiler]

The following contains major spoilers from the Sept. 5 episode of TNT’s Major Crimes.

In the wake of the tragic, brutal courtroom shootout that opened the Sept. 5 episode of TNT’s Major Crimes, the LAPD is down a major player — and thus, a plum position will need to be filled.

Series creator James Duff, as part of his post mortem Q&A with TVLine, shared that Emmy winner Camryn Manheim has been cast as a Deputy Chief of Operations in the LAPD who will be eyed to succeed the late Russell Taylor as Assistant Chief of Special Operations.

As such, she will ultimately vie for the position with MCD boss Sharon Raydor as well as a third, male candidate (who has yet to be cast).

Manheim’s previous TV credits include Person of Interest, Extant, Ghost Whisperer and, of course, The Practice. She will appear in multiple Major Crimes episodes, starting with Episode 14 — the first of the eight additional episodes added to Season 5.

Want more scoop on Major Crimes, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Dan says:

Loved her on Person of Interest. It will be interesting to see what they have in store for her on Major Crimes. Really looking forward to her scenes with Mary McDonnell. Two premium actresses squaring off against each other will make for some excellent TV.

2. evelyn says:

I think Camryn Manheim will fit in beautifully with the Major Crimes cast. Loved her in The Practice.

3. KLS says:

I’ll still think of her as Control though.

• Carolyn says:

Yes,she’ll always be Control to me from Person of Interest,as well as that truly creepy mom from Criminal Minds.
      Also,I agree with another post,& that’s the one about getting rid of Rusty. I’m ready for his story line to wrap up.

4. Jack Glaser says:

Why monkey with a perfect show? Want to make a good change? Dump Rusty.And make each episode 2 hours long

5. BM says:

As long as they don’t write Sharon out and/or break up the couples, I’m good.

6. opus says:

Camryn Mannheim is a wonderful actress but why not just let Jon Tenney take over the position? I would love to see him weekly!

7. Julia says:

Camryn Manheim would be perfect for this role. The squad needs new blood to shake things up.

8. Andrew Hass says:

I think Major Crimes needs new characters to shake things up.Plus depending on what happens Camryn Manheim could become a regular on Major Crimes.

9. Kat says:

Sounds like a very interesting storyline! Can’t wait! I’m up for anything that will get us some more Sharon screen time

10. Gary says:

There has to be better choices them Camryn, not a big fan but I hope it works out. As far of season opener they should have did a two hour special instead of this part one nonsense. Personally not a problem but millions don’t have a dvr to go back and refresh,don’t forget about people that are elderly,and poor just getting by

11. midas777 says:

fitz is the best fit – it is the best way to incorporate a great character/actor – no offense the other options but come on everyone wishes he was on more

12. Suzan says:

Bring Back Kyra Sedgwick!!!!!!!!!!

• KLS says:

Please no! (JMO)

• nblackburn01 says:

Kyra is gone. She wanted her character killed off. She wants nothing to do with this show. She is happy in New York with her family and other projects. Don’t you think it is odd that she said she would come back for a couple of episodes YET it hasn’t happened in almost 5 years?????

• Linda H says:

Her husband was probably jealous of the chemistry between Brenda and Fritz. They sure were perfect together. I really miss the show. Glad they kept it going as Major Crimes though. Just miss The Closer as well. It would be nice if Brenda made an appearance once or twice a year and have Fritz in as a regular.

13. nblackburn01 says:

Sorry (and like Camryn Mayheim’s acting. LOVED her in Ghost Whisperer) but NO….Just NO! If anyone is going to be Assistant Chief, it needs to be Jon Tenney. Camryn can come in and be Sharon’s nemesis, but then she needs to go. Maybe come back for some guest starring roles.

Besides, we just lost Chief Taylor after 12 friggin years…can we let the imaginary body get cold before we start talking about his replacement? I thought maybe Robert Gossett wanted to do other things. The fact that James just kicked him to the curb, doesn’t have me or numerous other fans really happy right now.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Good lord, no one was “kicked to the curb.” READ: http://tvline.com/2016/09/05/major-crimes-recap-season-5-episode-11-taylor-dies/

• nblackburn01 says:

Sorry, but coming off as being kicked to the curb, Matt. I read your articles faithfully and share them. All the people that you refer to in the article CHOSE to leave The Closer or not move onto Major Crimes. Their choice. It would have been one thing if Gossett was like…”I want to do something new. I have been doing this for 12 years.” He didn’t do that. Hence….kicked to the curb…after 12 years.

As for under utilization…James is the creator for crying out loud! Now, will I stop watching the show? HAELL NO! Will I get over it? Most definitely, but in the meantime, I am still irked about it. Do I still think that James and the writers rock and have created the best show ever??? Yup!

The article about Camryn Manheim potentially stepping into the role just screams SHINY NEW TOY to me.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I then feel sorry for your interpretation of Duff’s (not my) quotes. Especially re: Gossett’s antsiness to move on.

• Anastasia Beaverhausen says:

His character’s story had run its course. As Brenda’s nemesis in The Closer, he was great. But I think they did the right thing. Looking forward to seeing Camryn on the show.

14. cathy bush says:

I agree. Joe Tenney is the perfect person not Camby manheim

15. peegee says:

sounds good to me

16. Helene Lucca says:

Please leave this show alone! don’t fix what is not broken. If you kill off Andy you just lost two viewers1

17. Cathy Parker says:

In the future, they are really going to have to cut off Trump’s mic to keep him from interrupting other speakers!

18. Anastasia Beaverhausen says:

Looking forward to Major Crimes coming back. Camryn Manheim will be a great addition.

19. G. D says:

I want Jon Tenney should be promoted. So far I hate Camryn Mayheim’s character. She is too *itchy. Don’t understand her hatred of the squad. Also feel Rusty’s character is too whiney. My goodness, he’s 20 years old and a kid of the streets. He should be tougher.