Fall TV Preview
Jessica Capshaw Grey's Anatomy Season 13

Grey's Anatomy: Jessica Capshaw Sitting Out First Two Episodes

Don’t bother paging Dr. Robbins when Grey’s Anatomy returns on Sept. 22 (8/7c, ABC), ’cause she’s not going to respond.

Jessica Capshaw, who gave birth to her fourth child in May, will be sitting out the first two episodes of Season 13, according to series creator Shonda Rhimes. “Jessica was very, very delightfully pregnant at the end of last year, so she’s… taking a little bit of time off [to be with her] kids,” she told EW.com. “But then she’s back.”

And it sounds like she’ll hit the ground running. In the wake of Sara Ramirez’ exit as Callie last season, “I’m very excited to introduce a love interest for [Arizona],” Rhimes told the site, “and to get to tell a story with her that lets her be who she is, and to see who she is post the relationships that she’s had.

“I want to do it organically and I want the audience to be rooting for it,” she added. “We’re going to have fun with it.”

Callie, meanwhile, will remain a presence on the show — albeit an off screen one — as a result of her co-parenting arrangement with Sofia. “We’re playing that Arizona gets to go visit her daughter [in New York] and her daughter gets to come see her [in Seattle],” Rhimes said. “So it’s not this sense of loss. In our world, Callie still exists.”

1. Andrew Hass says:

It makes sense that show may want Jessica Capshaw to rest up before they really use her a lot as the season progresses.Plus if the season picks up right where last season ended maybe Arizona goes to New Yor with Callie to help Sofia get settled in.As for Arizona, it could be interesting to see she is without Callie been around.So in way maybe Callie been gone is a good thing for Arizona because it frees her up.

2. Ana says:

Maybe I interpreted the last paragraph wrong but does that mean Sofia is going to live with Callie and Penny in New York full-time?

3. sayer says:

I love Jessica Capshaw. Happy to here she will be a major player in Grey’s Anatomy S13. She knocked it out of the park S12 over the custody battle. Man I wish her new love interest was April or Amelia. I am tired of Owen and Jackson. Owen needs to be with Yang. Jackson and April well they are not good together, they played out their love story for 5 seasons. I always thought it would be great if April fell for Arizona. That would be so interesting considering April’s religious beliefs.

• Lee says:

I’ve always thought that Grey’s missed an opportunity to have Arizona and Amelia either hook-up or just be good friends. I say this because both characters went to John’s Hopkins. They seem about the same age, so I would think they would’ve at least known each other. I just thought it would’ve been fun to at least acknowledge that.

4. Pamela says:

Congrats to Jessica Capshaw. Her two episode exit will fit in though with the focus of the original characters as Shonda said would be the season theme. I look forward to her return.

5. Larc says:

That’s OK. I wouldn’t shed any tears if she took a permanent break.

6. Sandy says:

I’m sorry. I’ve seen/heard all of Arizona I need to. She whines, cheats, lies, and uses people. I’d rather move on to someone nicer. It’s a shame she didn’t leave instead of Callie. Maybe Debra Messing’s available….? Much rather look at and listen to her than Arizona.