Fall TV Preview
Flash Todd Salance Rival

The Flash Casts TVD Alum as The Rival — Plus: New Promo Teases Savitar

The Flash will have his hands full this Season 3, above and beyond whatever Flashpoint brings.

TVLine has learned that Vampire Diaries alum Todd Lasance has been cast in the recurring role of The Rival, who in DC Comics lore is a self-made, black-suited speedster. The Aussie actor — whose previous TV credits also include Spartacus: War of the Damned and (of course) Home and Away — will first appear in the Season 3 premiere, airing Tuesday, Oct. 4 at 8/7c.

In addition to The Rival, Grey Damon’s Mirror Master and the previously teased/not-yet-cast Dr. Alchemy, The Flash will run up against Savitar, it was announced earlier this month at the TCA press tour. And a brand-new promo, embedded below, appears to offer a first glimpse of Savitar, a speedster with powers that transcend Barry’s and as such elicit a cult following.

“Savitar in Hindu means ‘the god of speed,’ and he has this sort of cult-like essence, where he’s sort of like the speed god,” co-showrunner Todd Helbing recently told TVLine. “But everything about him is different than Zoom or Reverse-Flash. I can’t go into too much detail, but he’s quite a bit different.”

1. Rjh6388 says:

I believe his name is Todd Lasance :)

2. ALM says:

Another speedster?! I loved season 1 of this show, but another speedster big-bad “slowed” season 2 for me. And now they keep bringing in more speedster villains. I am getting a bad feeling about season 3.

• bobbie says:

Yup, Flash use to be must watched to I am going to wait a handful of episodes and see if it’s worth coming back to. Arrow I am making a clean break, I can’t think of one reason to even give it a shot (ha!) and after discovering Supergirl this summer, I am hoping that they don’t screw that up too.

Can someone tell me how these shows can afford these bloated casts? Their demos aren’t exactly inspiring.

• Erin says:

I forced myself to watch Arrow last season and actually took a break from it and caught up over hiatus. It’s been rather crappy the last few seasons so I’ve given it enough a chance.

I agree the Flash wasn’t as good this season but I’m still in. It gave me nowhere near the level of irritation Arrow did and since I gave that series such a chance and IMO the Flash has always been the better one, I’m still looking fwd to it though I am also skeptical of all these new Speedsters. Adding excess speedsters, it loses something special, the ‘specialness’ of Barry if you will.

I finally watched Supergirl recently too. I watched the pilot way back when it aired but it didn’t fully hook me and never became must see. I adore the cast and characters though but it’s missing the must see factor and it worries me that its going to the CW. I’m hoping it doesn’t become a shippery mess like so many CW shows.

3. Shaun says:

He’s a good villain,but hate more Speed enemies…..they are all so redundant now that Zoom and Reverse have been presented.

4. Jason says:

when are we getting a promo for supergirl.

5. taran63 says:

I’m honestly starting to get bored with Speedster villains. I was much more interested when I heard the show was finally introducing Mirror Master.

6. Ian says:

Lol, there’s even a type of ACTOR they keep repeating, and not just the villain. They’re all tall strongjawed blonds.

7. Lea says:

Oh, for God’s sake. I was excited when I saw the promo and I thought the cult leader was Doctor Alchemy and he’d have some sort of sinister society following him. All the excitement was killed and buried when I read that’s actually just Yes,-Another-Speedster-Villain.

8. Blah says:

So the flash casts a Villan with an Indian/Hindi origin and they pick a blonde Caucasian man.

Come on Flash team. You should be better then this

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Lasance is not playing Savitar….

• AJ says:

The Flash team apparently can’t differentiate a language from a religion. “in Hindu it means”… Really? Either he meant the language, in which case he should have said “Hindi”, or he meant in the religion which he should have expressed it as “in Hinduism”.

Nitpicky? Maybe. But it’s really frustrating when people ask me if I speak Hindu, or am I Hindi.

Come on guys, do better! (also, where are they getting speed God from… I keep Seeing him as a deity associated with the sun…)

• stacy030 says:

Either way, do you truly, truly believe that Savitar won’t be played by a white dude?

• AJ says:

If they can’t figure out the difference between the language and a major world religion? Not a chance. Frustrating. Aggravating. And, as someone of Indian heritage, depressing and terrify common.

• RocjyTit says:

Why do you believe that he is playing The Rival? Is it official?

9. myrcellasear says:

I think we’re all tired of the speedster villains, but hopefully Savitar will be a different beast altogether. I really hope they pick an Indian actor for him. Pretty please, Berlanti!

As for The Rival… I’m gonna look past the fact that it’s another speedster and focus on how cool it is that Wally’s gonna be up against him in Flashpoint. And maybe he’ll follow Barry out of Flashpoint like a Time Wraith of sorts? That’s kinda cool, too.

10. Agent 86 says:

Two more “speedster” villains in The Rival and Savitar? And the return of Reverse Flash and Zoom (aka Black Flash)? This is really getting ridiculous. The writers need to choose a “big bad” who does not have speed based powers. If their own writing prevents them from coming up with a power-set for the villain to challenge The Flash’s super abilities, then maybe they need to pay closer attention to the villains in the comic books. Sure, some of them are bizarre, but for a show which has already introduced Gorilla Grodd, that shouldn’t be a major concern.

11. Nika says:

When did he appear on TVD? I never saw him. Whata piece of sexy hottie eye candy he is.

12. Phillip says:

I read that Greg Berltanti hasn’t cast the character yet

13. grys03 says:

Personally I’d like to see more of Grodd & his city – maybe even an arc where Joe or Cisco get kidnapped (or random others) but not necessarily do a female needing saving. Be nice to see the girls do the saving.

14. stacy030 says:

Oh, joy Another speedster!! How insanely creative and not at all boring and repetitive.

And, as others have already mentioned. If you are going to keep repeating the same type of villain over and over and over, maybe cast someone besides a white dude??

15. Joey Padron says:

New promo for new season looks good. Good actor they cast to play a new villian on the show.

16. KenPez108 says:

Not sure if this is definite, but I read on tvguide.com this morning that Tobin Bell is going to play Dr. Alchemy. I like that casting!