Parenthood Revival

Parenthood Creator: Series Revival Is More a Question of When, Not If

It’s been nearly two years since the Braverman clan wistfully strolled off that baseball diamond in the Parenthood finale and, by our calculations, that means it’s time to check in with series creator Jason Katims about a revival.

As we scooped back in June, NBC flirted with the idea of producing a one-off, Christmas-themed Parenthood reunion movie last year, but the project failed to materialize. In an interview with TVLine last week at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, where he was promoting his new CBS medical drama Pure Genius, Katims would neither confirm or deny our report. He did, however, note, “There’s nothing happening right now, but when the time is right I would love to revisit it.”

And lest you think Katims is just toying with our emotions, the Emmy winner shared that he’s been keeping tabs — and taking notes — on Netflix’s in-the-works Gilmore Girls continuation, starring his Parenthood‘s colleague Lauren Graham. “I asked someone who was working on it how they structured it and how it all worked,” he shared. “Because I was thinking that might happen [with Parenthood] down the road a few years.”

In light of the fact that the Parenthood swan song concluded with a series of flash-forward sequences that offered snapshots of where the main characters ended up several years into the future, Katims conceded that “more time has to pass” before a Parenthood revival can realistically take shape.

“It would start at the moment when I feel like I have a story to tell,” he admitted. “But the whole thing about Parenthood is the kids get a little older and their lives change and then there’s more story to tell. I feel like that will happen at some point. And then it will be a question of, logistically, can we get the actors [back together] at the same time? And then we have to [find an outlet] that wants to [air] it.”

1. webly3 says:

I would love to see Parenthood come back in some form as long as every actor would agree to return as well. Although if it never does, it still had an amazing ending.

2. Jon says:

NBC’s new melodrama with “Chris Darden” reuniting with his family member in the commercial looks very, very similar to it in tone and feel.

3. Rebecca says:

I loved the ending, but I would definitely be on board with more of the Braverman’s. My only request would be more Mark and less Hank.

• A fan of TV says:

No more Mark, please! That ship so sailed!

• Molly says:

Team Mark!

• Maddy says:

More Mark would be awesome!! I still don’t get how Sarah could choose Hank over Mark.

• Pamela says:

I don’t feel Sarah and Mark would have lasted. They always had issues coming up and then one of them would back away. Hank absolutely wanted to be with Sarah. She knew he changed the best he could for her and loved her no matter what.

• Jamie says:

How about neither. I loved Mark, but Sarah kind of whipped the poor guy around. He seemed to love her a lot more than she loved him, and I always felt bad for him. If he comes back, it should be a “hey, look at how awesome I’m doing without you” kind of vibe.

But I agree about Hank – please please please no Hank in a revival. Not only was he the worst addition to the cast maybe ever, but he and Sarah had zero chemistry and that wedding kind of felt like Sarah was just trying to do one more last thing for her dad before he died.

4. nadialus says:

Don’t toy with my heart like this Michael! My tv fanatic self has yet to find a show I’ve loved more than Parenthood. I’m currently rewatching it for the 4th time!

5. David4 says:

The show ended on it’s own terms and not even that long ago. Not every show needs to be brought back.

• Priyam says:

I agree! I loved and still love this show, but the end was a very satisfying, emotional one. I think the Braverman clan can finally give my tear ducts some rest.

• Kat says:

Thank you! I loved this show and the ending was absolutely perfect. There is no need to bring it back and potentially spoil it if it doesn’t live up to the original (as so many revivals fail to do!)

• Mary says:

I agree but I would make an exception for this one. Love the show and still watch re-runs. I wouldn’t mind a TV Christmas movie perhaps.

• sarah t says:

I agree, I could definitely go with a Christmas movie. that would be perfect. I think we could do at least one of those now and then revisit and do something down the road in a few years when the kids are older (kind of like The Waltons’ did).

• Stacy says:

Nah, a Christmas movie with a cast that big wouldn’t allow us to get decent stories for all of them. A miniseries on Netflix would be great, though.

• David4 says:

I’m not against it, I haven’t even finished the show yet, and I love the idea of a Christmas theme movie because why not? But can we wait at least 5 years from when the show ended? The show literally ended in January 2015 and they wanted to do a Christmas special 11 months later?!

• sarah t says:

Well, if they did it this year (which I don’t think it’s going to happen from the sound of this article), it would be almost two years after the show ended which would be a good starting point for a Christmas special.

• Molly says:

This one does!

6. A fan of TV says:

Give it some more time, IMO. Like Victor and Max are seniors in HS more time…

7. herman1959 says:

Let it go.

8. Simon says:

A. This NEEDS to happen in my lifetime.
    B. Zeke could TOTALLY visit to offer words of wisdom to his kids.
    C. It HAS to be with the original cast AND cast Maura Tierney as Sarah’s best friend so she can be part of the Braverman family as she was meant to be!

9. Sandra Swan says:

Great idea to have a Parenthood Christmas movie! Loved the show and I look forward to seeing a movie with the whole family again.

10. grandpabw says:

Parenthood was by far the best program on television. I would most definitely watch it, if they got it going again!

11. c-mo says:

I’m so glad that Up channel picked up this show so now at least I have something to watch Monday nights at 9pm CT, particularly once the Fall season begins.

12. I’d love to see a Parenthood Reunion however, Zeke was killed off !!! I wasn’t happy about that !! I’m sure I wasn’t the only one not happy either !!! Would he be appearing as a ghost???!!!!!

• Jamie says:

Zeke’s death was sad, but it was super realistically done and stayed very true to this show – the ups and downs, joys and sorrows of family life. He was getting older and was known for not caring about his health too much, and it caught up with him. That’s real life, and making their viewers cry about real life situations is something that Parenthood always excelled at.
      But maybe he could come back in flashbacks or something.

13. J.C> Pedroni says:

The best program that was on TV, and people could all relate to it. If I had a choice for only
    one show on TV, this would be it. Please bring it back. There is to much violence on TV
    and this is a safe show for the whole family,

14. Eric says:

I would absolutely love for this to happen, though I agree that it’s still too early. By 2018 or 2019 though? I’ll be more than ready for more Bravermans. I miss them on TV.

15. Jec says:

But the show ended well. It had a great finale and wrapped things up really really wel. There is no need for a revival. Why mess with a good thing?

16. liz says:

I loved to watch this program, it was a program that was so down to earth and it was real life drama that all encounter every day. I am so happy to hear that it is being considered to air again. if all the actors/actresses would return, it would be the best show on television. without a doubt. it was exciting news to read today. fingers crossed.

17. Shawna says:

I just wish they would have stopped talking over one another so that I could hear what was being said! Also TV and Movie producers should get a clue about how awful music and background noise is. The music is always so loud but then you can’t hear the dialogue.

18. Carole Audley says:

Funny thing: I watched every episode, and hated almost every character. All they did was whine.

19. Mark D. Moss says:

Loved the show from beginning to end. But see *no* reason for a revival. Gilmore Girls was way different … wrenched from the creator’s hands, and very much in need of a proper ending. We *got* our ending with Parenthood (and even a peak into the future), so unless there’s a *real* creative reason to revisit, it’ll be unlikely to add to the story. Not every show needs to go on forever, and not every show needs a revival. Fresh ideas (and new challenges for our favorite actors) are better! pfft.

20. Stacy says:

The flash forward offered snapshots of where they end up, but no hint of conflict. They could pick up before, during, or immediately after the flash forwards and still have a story to tell. Hey, whenever Katims is ready, I’ll be here.

21. Marian Millett says:

I would LOVE to see ‘Parenthood’ return – the BEST show ever!! So hopeful this will happen!!

22. This would be amazing but I would miss Zeke!!

23. Kristen Michelle says:

It never should have ended in the first place! WHY did they end it? I think it would only work with the original people, and writers/producers/directors. And, any way to creatively write the dad back in?? Haha, just kidding.

24. Cas says:

I just discovered this show on Netflix. Love it!

25. grumpiestoldman says:

I’d rather see Judging Amy brought back!

26. HL says:

I for one would love to see a Parenthood reunion! Even if it IS just a movie/miniseries!

27. Judy says:

Parenthood was my favorite show. PLEASE bring it back. It was a good family show that many people identified with. We need more shows like instead of crime shows and reality shows.

28. Loree says:

I would love to see a continuation of Parenthood!
    It’s still my favorite family show on TV!
    Even though it is not running anymore…
    PLEASE, PLEASE consider a continuation! 👍☺

29. Paula Kroener says:

I just watched the entire series from beginning to end with my teenage kids. We were ALL so bummed when it was over and we no longer had the Bravermans to enjoy and help us start conversations that included life lessons without choking it down their throats. Parenthood touches so many generations and my teens and myself would all absolutely love to see it return so that future generations can experience such a wonderful family story. Healthy TV!

30. Taylor says:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring back Parenthood. It’s literally the best show I’ve ever watched. And for the record, I love Hanks character. I think him and Sarah are adorable.

31. Cathy says:

Any update on a reunion show? Would absolutely love this!

32. Bernadette Jehnert says:

We just finished watching Parenthood on Netflix. I would love to see it revived. I loved Ray Romano; he made the show funny. I never liked Mark, seemed so immature. His speaking was so indecisive and felt like he was Sarah’s son instead of a boyfriend. He was no surrogate father for Drew and Amber. He was not a very good actor; loved Hank.