Supergirl Winn Gay Season 2 Spoilers

Is Supergirl's Winn About to Come Out?

One of the biggest reveals from The CW’s superhero-themed Television Critics Association panel Thursday was also its cagiest: A “significant” character on either ArrowSupergirl, Legends of Tomorrow or The Flash will come out.

So… who might it be?

Though executive producer Greg Berlanti isn’t saying, the initial buzz favors Supergirl‘s Winn, played by Jeremy Jordan. Might CatCo’s IT guy, while licking his wounds as the odd man out in the Kara/Jimmy triangle, come to a realization? Or might Kara’s sister Alex (Chyler Leigh), who seemed to keep ardent admirer Maxwell Lord at arm’s length during Season 1, share sparks of multiple kinds with metahuman-chasing National City PD detective Maggie Sawyer?

“We had a character who we had discussed as a possibility last year internally, and it didn’t materialize,” Berlanti told reporters after the panel. “We didn’t get to the story. We just didn’t have enough real estate to deal with it in the way that we wanted to deal with it. So when we were planning this season, we said to the network and the studio that it was a priority for us, and everyone was cool with it.”

He added: “And obviously, because the character hadn’t been gay, we hadn’t necessarily discussed it with the actor, too.” That cast member, the EP noted, was on board with the change.

Berlanti confirmed that the character is someone who is currently on one of the series — “It’s not a new character that’s been added” — and that it is not someone on Arrow or Legends of Tomorrow, which have gay or bisexual characters in Curtis and Sara, respectively.

The EP stressed that the development would be handled so “it feels real to us and that it feels real that this character could have been struggling with not expressing this, and then real as they start to discover it, and then, obviously, real as they settle into being who they really are.” — With reporting by Vlada Gelman

1. Sam says:

Jeremy Jordan playing a prominent gay character on a successful network TV series?! *starts panting*

Yeah, I’m okay with that.

• Lou Lou Beans says:

I would love it to be Winn, but Alex gives me power Lez, and I love it. I like Kara and Winn, I dont ship Kara and James at all, I think he has great chemistry with Lucy – Lucy and James are a real thing.

If it was Flash, I’d want it to be Cisco…..or Tom Cavanaugh.

2. Sam says:

Also I love that you picked the gayest picture of him as the header image.

3. spindae2 says:

My guess is Winn or Caitlin. Maybe Thea.

4. Alec says:

Cisco (The Flash).

• Jason says:

Doubtful. He’s crushed pretty hard on various super ladies of the DC Universe. Not to mention dating Hawkgirl. Plus, I’m still hoping they’ll pay off his flirtations with Golden Glider.

5. datdudemurphy says:

that’s one way to squash a triangle

• HouseofEl says:

There is no triangle

Kara/Jimmy are the IT couple

• ABG. says:

James Olsen is easily the weakest element of the cast, so if that’s IT, I’m dissapointed.

• Katy says:

Oliver was also with Laurel in the comics so that doesn’t mean Kara/Jimmy have to be together on Supergirl. I also like James but I am not a huge fan of Kara/James.

• datdudemurphy says:

I thought it looked like Winn had a pretty serious crush on Kara

….must have been a different show

• JC1 says:

“Had” being the operative word. Once Kara told him she wasn’t interested, it looked to me like he got over it and moved on. So no triangle.

• datdudemurphy says:

Seemed like the type of thing that could be played up again….especially on the CW.
            Making Winn gay, would seem to lock them into the Kara-James relationship.

Winn would make the most sense to make into a gay character tho.

I don’t know.

Love the show, and I’ll see where they wanna go with it.

• JC1 says:

It could be. But as of the end of season one, it looked like it was dead. I don’t know that it necessarily locks them into Kara/Jimmy though. Isn’t there another new male regular coming on, that Nick Farrow character? Or did that get dropped? I don’t remember ever seeing casting for that character?

• datdudemurphy says:

Is he the one that is going to be playing Mon-El?

• JC1 says:

No, Chris Wood is playing Mon-El. Completely different character. Back on June 8, TVLine ran an article talking about five new characters being added to Supergirl for season 2. There was Lena Luthor, Maggie Sawyer, Snapper Carr, a character called The Doctor (the leader of Cadmus), and then this new series regular named Nick Farrow. He was described as “a ‘brash leading man’ who butts heads with Kara at CatCo. The son of a famous reporter, Nick is ‘looking to make a name for himself in the news world but the question of whether he can leave behind his former selfish and hedonistic ways will constantly arise. In hanging out with Kara, the hero in Nick might finally come out.’

• datdudemurphy says:

I couldn’t remember who was playing Mon-El.

Having trouble thinking of a character who would match that description, too.

• fiberlicious says:

OK, but also, no gay…

6. James says:

I’d like for the character to be a man.

7. Eric Wilson says:

What if it’s superman. :P

It’s not Winn. It makes zero sense based on the all the ways he has been portrayed.

8. Katy says:

Winn? Really? Huh…..I figured it would be Alex as well.

• ninergrl6 says:

Alex makes more sense than Winn IMO since she didn’t have any real heterosexual “romantic” relationships last season, although I thought her chemistry with Maxwell Lord was off the chart. Winn not only crushed hard on Kara, but he was also involved with what’s her name, the woman who played Cat’s other assistant. Didn’t Kara catch them having sex in the closet (no pun intended) at work? Unless they make Winn bi — a reasonable possibility — his hetero season 1 relationships wouldn’t make a lot of sense if he was in fact the character in question.

• joeyconnick says:

Because no gay guy has ever “crushed” on a woman, let alone had sex with one, before he came out. 🙄

• joeyconnick says:

Or married and had children… yep, no, unless someone’s a blank slate, they could NEVER end up gay.

• Viewer says:

I agree Ninergrl6, Alex is who I’d pick for this plot. I LOVE the banter sequences between Max and Alex, Peter and Chyler rock those, but everything is ambiguous with Alex and guys because while she might have seemed attracted to Max it was never clear if she liked him physically or just for his mind.

Yes they had them hold hands in the finale, but that could have been Alex being the bigger person and helping out someone who was scared – it’s not a guarantee romance move.

Yes they had a guy call Alex away when they showed the kid flashbacks and Alex getting her scar but it doesn’t mean Alex liked the guy beyond friendship. And as for her nodding to the guy in the club during her drunken arrest, she was having a good time it doesn’t mean she wanted to take anyone home.

Again I feel it would be great to see Winn be straight and show men can be sensitive too while Alex shows queer people can be strong also and LGBT people can hold high positions in their organizations just as straight people can.

9. Clark Kent says:

Maybe they should just focus on making a superhero show. They don’t need to go out of their way to change a character. Winn shouldn’t be gay. He adored Kara. Didn’t have a gay tendency at all. That’s just not realistic.

They have gay characters on these shows already. I’m so tired of PC stuff.

• Frank says:

Do you know there’s a thing called bisexuality? He could adore Kara and all the girls of the world, while still being attracted to men too…. it’s 2016, should we really still explain these things?

• Katy says:

Apparently so jeesh also the PC stuff and gay characters already? Yea there is Sara who is bisexual and Curtis on Arrow but other than that…..I can’t think of any other characters on the superhero shows.

• August says:

Barry and Joe’s captain is gay. His fiance was in an episode. Winn being gay would feel like such a cop out of the love triangle. Maybe Alex. Though I have to say I don’t know why they want to make some big coming out story. Sara, Curtis’s sexuality was never was made a big thing. It was just there, a fact. No big fuss was made. Shouldn’t we be moving more into that kind of setup rather than do a big coming out story.

• 1 says:

Maybe Alex, and they would explain it with a passing comment from Kara. tbh the character screamed lesbian to me from the first time she was on screen lol. BUT if it’s Winn, well it makes sense they may focus more time on it, since his feelings for Kara were a big deal last season.

• Katy says:

Thanks, I dont watch Flash as much as I should (I am a sporadic viewer) didn’t know about their captain. I wish we could move forward to no more big coming out stories but we aren’t there yet as a society. I thought maybe….but then after Orlando I guess not.

• JC1 says:

Cop out? I thought that love triangle was pretty definitively resolved last season. Once he got over Kara turning him down, it seemed like it was pretty well over with.

• Mary says:

There’s also Pied Piper, but he’s not seen as much the others.

I say it’s Alex. Yes she’s dated men, but it didn’t sound like those relationships lasted long.

• JimC says:

Why do they deem this necessary? Is this some sort lame attempt at drawing some gay viewers?

• Emily says:

do you know they specifically stated the character would be gay? if you read the article it said the character will come out as gay, not bi-sexual.

• Ronald says:

Shut up. What are gay tendencies? Not all gays are the same.

• Lindsay says:

Hey then stop watching Clark Kent if you don’t like it

• It must be terrible for you, having the fact that gay people exist “thrown in your face” all the time by media that acknowledges their existence. You could always restrict yourself to just watching shows on CBS and the Hallmark Channel, I’m pretty sure those would preserve your little heterosexuals-only fantasyland.

• DG says:

I’m not too worried about having the “gay agenda” thrown in my face all the time…not too many years in the future the party will be over, and then the books will be opened.

“Gay” people exist, and they are no more better or worse than I am…but to portray what God calls abomination as “OK”? That’s like calling the act of murdering unborn babies “Planned Parenthood”. Right is wrong and wrong is right in this upside-down “brave, new world”, isn’t it?

• K says:

I agree with Kent. A super hero show doesn’t need to be a platform for political correctness. Focus on the super hero aspect and quit trying to hit all the demographics It’s annoying and unnecessary. Also making the Alex character gay is grand standing. All it says if a women is strong and tough she must be gay

10. I'll be honest... says:

I’d wanted Chyler Leigh to play a queer characters for years now, thus I sooo wished it was Alex, it’d explain some stuff we saw on the show too, but the way they had joked about during Con panels etc, it seems to me Jeremy was aware it was going to be Winn since awhile now.

11. Jason says:

Winn being gay makes a lot of sense, honestly a lot of people got that vibe from his character last year anyway.

• Sara says:

No a “lot” of ppl didn’t. SOME just wanted him to be. He is in love with Kara and had a sexual relationship with a female last season.

It’s obviously Alex

• Nathan says:

I mean. I thought I liked some girls back in high school and college, I’ve slept with women, but halfway through college, I came to terms with the fact that I was gay. Not everyone’s got the same story.

That being said, I’d be fine with it being Alex if it’s not Winn.

• ChrisGa says:

I got that vibe from the very first episode.

12. TVLineFanGirl says:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say Jax. . ..it would be interesting and not fall into as many stereotypes as Winn.

• jj says:

I don’t think it’s going to be a character from Legends. They have Sara who is the most prominent LGBT character. I think most people are thinking Supergirl because they don’t have any. Arrow has Curtis (and his husband) and occasionally Nyssa. Legends has Sara. The Flash has Captain Singh (and his husband) and Hartley.

13. Max says:

If it is Winn, I hope that doesn’t mean the lack of chemistry between Supergirl and Jimmy (James) Olsen will continue. Supergirl needs a new man if not Winn. Kat’s son?

• Frank says:

I like James but his chemistry with Kara lasted just in the first couple of episodes, then that triangle mess with Lucy killed it, for me. He’s supposed to be older, but acted like a manchild hurting both women. No one wants to see love triangles on TV these days, how haven’t writers figured it out?! Regardless, there’s a new male added to the cast, maybe he’ll catch Kara’s interest soon too, while they flesh out James better and give him a better arc this time around. I want to like him more but there’s a lot of work to be done here in my opinion.

• soonerborn says:

Just kill him off like they did early in the Batman VS Superman movie that kind of sucked earlier this year.

• Jason says:

You sound like a bitter shipper. This has nothing to do with james/kara..

14. Emily says:

i hate it when characters who have shown no signs of being gay and have obviously been interested in the opposite sex are suddenly turned gay just bc the writers want to make them gay. they should plan these things out from the beginning.

• David H says:

It’s Willow Rosenberg all over again.

• canadian ninja says:

Willow turned gay when she caught Oz with that other werewolf skank. If you watch the episode “Wild at Heart” you can freeze frame the actual moment it happens.

• Jason says:

Seeds off her sexuality were first planted way back in season 3 during the Doppleganger episode. But if Buffy had been made right now, Willow would have been called bisexual. At that point in tv history however, it was more important to deliver an unambiguous statement.

• Cate53 says:

No one ‘turns gay’ and there certainly isn’t one moment like this. Daft comment!

• canadian ninja says:

Fictional characters turn gay all the time. Check your pc reflex and lighten up.

Jason’s right about the Doppleganger episode though.

• Mary says:

Yeah, because in real life people are never in denial about their sexuality. Oh wait….

• Emily says:

but on these tv shows, the characters typically are actually showing no signs of being confused or in denial about their sexuality at all. its a complete writing change.

• DG says:

In real life, people deny their God-given sexuality all the time.

15. Riana says:

I hope it’s Thea

16. BadPenny says:

Winn: “I can’t have Kara so I guess I will shoot for Jimmy!”

Networks are getting so incredibly stupid.

17. MARK says:

If you wanna say Bi..Winn or Thea make sense but to switch them gay after being “straight” with hints of being anything but that feels forced.

18. Gbilly says:

My money is on Wally West in the Flash. Yes one of the only prominent characters from any of the series who hasn’t had a hint at a love interest yet.

19. Wordsmith says:

How about Rory and/or Snart? That would really put an interesting spin on the Heatwave/Captain Cold partnership, yes?

20. Leslie says:

I hope it’s Winn, making Alex the gay sister of a superhero who falls in love with a cop reminds me exactly of the storyline On Wynnona Earp.

• just my opinion says:

What even is Wynnonna Earp? Supergirl is a bigger show, to have a main character gay, especially a badass woman like Alex would be a major thing for a lot of questioning/scared kids.

• Leslie says:

I completely agree about having a role model to look up to. Check out Wynnona Earp on the syfy channel, if you like Supergirl I’m sure it’ll be something you enjoy!

21. TV Addict says:

I really hope it isn’t Winn! The gay best friend role has been done so many times before, it would just be too cliche. I say go for a more surprising pick.

22. kath says:

If it’s Alex or Winn, I’m going to laugh because on the four shows, the gay actors all play straight characters while the gay characters (Curtis and Sara) are played by straight actors.

23. Why am I not surprised to see people fight says:

Why am I not surprised to see people fight? They swear they are open minded, not homophobic or racist or whatever else, but as soon as a show does something “different” (see the reaction to the casting of a black-skinned Jimmy Olsen last year), some people start losing their minds. So transparent. So what? Winn, Alex, give me all the gay characters, it’d be refreshing to see for once. We have boring hetero romances all the times, next!

• DG says:

“Homophobic”…now there’s a word.

Doesn’t “phobia” mean, ” an irrational or unnatural fear ” of something? Oh, but wait…someone’s gone and coined the term “homophobia”, which REALLY means a disagreement with or a revulsion of people who use their sexual organs incorrectly…and brag about it…so the term “phobia” in actuality is a misnomer.

“Boring hetero romances”? How refreshing for a change.

24. Donald says:

This is why all these comic book shows are quickly going to crap. The show runners try too hard to please their fans that they sacrifice compelling story telling to do so. Diversity is a good thing, incorporate it from the beginning, don’t just shoe horn it in to meet a quota. These shows need to right their own ships story wise before they worry about superficial crap like this.

• In this instance I think it’s the network change that allows them to run with a storyline they wanted to all along. CBS was probably worried too many of its viewers would have heart attacks or topple over in their walkers if a gay person appeared on their televisions.

25. ktc1986 says:

Felicity, just to crush the Olicity bandwagon

26. Missed opportunity Jamie says:

Everyone I know from the Supergirl fandom, on twitter and tumblr too, wants Alex to be into girls hahah, but sadly I think it’s Winn. Which it’s fine, I know Jeremy campaigned for that, but his character has been romantically/sexually attracted to two women, I mean… he had sex with Siohban and all. This is canon, while Alex easily plays into various lez fantasies and stereotypes ;)

27. Charlie says:

I think it be amazing to have strong black major superhero as gay. Yes, some would say that it is PC move or whatever. But I think it would be huge deal.

28. Dave says:

I always thought it could be Captain Cold…but now I’m thinking since they’re bringing back Colton haynes’s character that it could be him (it would be really interesting and well played since his true life struggle

29. Spence says:

I’m really loving the sensitivity and commitment they have to developing LGBT characters across their shows. It’s great to see how dedicated they are to showcasing diversity and a look at how the real world looks: that’s right conservatives, if you open your eyes, you’ll see queer people all around you in all sorts of professions! It’s not “shoving it down your throat”, it’s just realistic!

30. abz says:

I’d love for it to be Winn. And give him a romantic arc too. Enough of this lame triangle with Kara that doesn’t even feel believable really.

31. absherlock says:

Personally, I think Alex makes more sense, especially with Maggie Sawyer being introduced. But I really hope they take the opportunity to make J’onn bisexual (or,even better, genderfluid) as there’d be no real reason for a race of shape-shifters to respond biologically to human genders.

• *claps* says:

You know, you raise an interesting point. I’ve seen it happening on video games and other sci-fi shows, why is that aliens all respond to our same earth rules and binary genders crap? They don’t have our same standards, how odd..

• Beckstle says:

Good point. :)

32. Would be perfect says:

Alex and Maggie Alex and Maggie Alex and Maggie pleaaaaase *gay pleading*

33. Douglas from Brazil says:

Everyone has to be gay nowadays… desperately for ratings?

• Tom says:

Everyone? That is a stretch. maybe one character per show… That’s less than real life. As for who, I’m hoping Winn, but I can see Alex or Wally.

34. Why not Wally West? I think that would be fun.

35. Sarah T says:

Speaking of chemistry and lack of chemistry can I just point out the fact that Grant Gustin seems to have chemistry with everybody. I know people are partial to certain relationships and very against others but all that aside he is either a fantastic actor (I think he is) or just an incredibly easy and comfortable person to get along with. Or both.

That’s all.

• *claps* says:

I find Chyler Leigh (Alex Danvers) to be the same, with both other women and men, the host of the SDCC said the same thing!

36. Jason says:

Winn would have to be bisexual because he’s clearly been attracted to women thus far, (and not just Kara). Alex would make the most sense. Her sexuality has yet to be explored. It would be great to use Sara as way of igniting that story in the crossover.

37. A. D. says:

Should be Alex

38. marcus starkey says:

god why does every show have to have someone gay . GET OVER YOUR SELF

• abz says:

Why not? Pretty much every single TV show, movie, etc., that has ever been created is predominantly filled with straight characters. Why is it such a big deal for people if they decide to add a gay character or two? You always have the option of not watching or continuing to enjoy the shows for the characters you do like.

• Because gay people are EVERYWHERE? Because it's realistic? says:

*pats head* it’s okay, it’s okay. I’m sure there are a lot of other shows for bigots like you where you can hide your head in the sand and pretend there’s no people of different race/sexuality/religion etc.

• John NYC says:

Because statistics run that people both in crew and cast and creatives are ITRW gay? So it’s there to be worked with.

39. Ro says:

I always wanted Finn to be gay. And the fact that he’s played by droolworthy Jeremy Jordan:)

40. marc says:

Ticking boxes to fit a pc slot just for the sake ticking boxes

41. BrianR says:

Since Alex really didn’t “date” anyone on the show yet and Winn has crushed on Kara and Banshee I think it would be unrealistic to have him suddenly realize wow I really like Jimmy Olsen better than Kara.

42. Bill says:

How can it be Winn? Didn’t he nail the Silver Banshee before she turned?

43. Ryan says:

Let it be Winn and hook him up with Pied Piper on Flash.

44. Bill Johnson says:

Why on earth do have to have a gay character? This is so stupid and sad. Stop shoving your gay agenda down our throats, soon there will be nothing on mainstream tv to watch

• Brigid says:

I keep hearing about this gay agenda and for the life of me I can’t find the list. Please enlighten me as to what this agenda entails. Thanks!

45. “Flash” also has a gay character. Captain David Singh, of the Central City Police Department.

46. Supergirl: I always thought it would be Winn. I still think it could be him but with the new lady cop being introduced in season 2, it could be Alex getting a female love interest.

The Flash: I have no idea who that could be. If they’re going for popularity, it could be Cisco. If they want a hero, it could be Wally.

If it’s between these two shows, my preference would be Winn but I don’t get to decide.
    I don’t watch Arrow or LOT so I can’t comment on these two.

47. Cate53 says:

I remember when Winn spent time making Kara’s Supergirl costume, I thought they might be making him gay or bi. As long as they do it right, I think either Winn or Alex could be believably gay or bi. They both ping a bit!

48. Phil says:

I’m a bit torn on this. I wouldn’t dislike Winn being gay/bi/anything that isn’t straight (out of those, I’d pick bi or pan, he’s had too much genuine interest in women to suddenly not be into women, and bisexual males are rarer on tv than bisexual females), but I would also prefer if it was someone else. I think Winn is a relatively positive showcase of the straight guy who isn’t the traditionally masculine guy, and who is touch with his feminine side, and those aren’t exactly common either. Basically a guy not influenced by toxic masculinity. Sure, Barry and Cisco aren’t the traditional masculine guys in the way other characters are, but they don’t come across as in-touch with their feminine side as much as Winn.

49. prmixed says:

I don’t thin its Winn. It might be Alex…. on the Flash it could be Cisco, Wally, Harry, or Jesse. I would like it to be Wally for many reasons they could pair him with Joes’ Capt. And to the people with well they weren’t gay before; Many Gays before they accepted themselves did the str8 thing. However, the person could be sexually fluid.

50. Sarah says:

I don’t really care who it is but I hope if it’s someone whose sexuality has somewhat been established (i.e. Winn liking Kara and dating that Banchee) then I hope they don’t try to act like that never happened. I like how they handled it with Sara on Arrow. She is bi, which means they didn’t invalidate her relationship with any guys but it still totally fits that she could love Nissa.