Supergirl Flash Musical Episode

The Flash and Supergirl Teaming Up for Musical Two-Parter

The CW’s Supergirl and The Flash will team up — musically — in a two-part episode airing during the second half of the 2016-17 TV season, it was announced on Thursday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour.

“Yes, there will be a musical crossover,” executive producer Greg Berlanti said. “There’s going to be a musical pair of episodes in the back half of the year between Supergirl and The Flash.”

Supergirl and The Flash are fronted by Melissa Benoist and Grant Gustin, both of whom are Glee alumni. Supergirl‘s Jeremy Jordan and The Flash‘s Jesse L. Martin, meanwhile, are among those who also boast singing chops. Berlanti also cited Arrow‘s John Barrowman and Legends of Tomorrow‘s Victor Garber as musically gifted ensemble members.

Though Berlanti expects the characters to mostly sing preexisting tunes, “We have been talking about trying to write at least one original song per episode.”

As for what will tee up the special event, Berlanti said, “We’ve toyed with who potentially the villain could be,” and “we’ll be careful how we break into song,” hinting that some numbers could take place “in the characters’ heads.”

The Supergirl/Flash musical event is in addition to the four-way crossover airing late this fall across all four of The CW’s superhero programs.

Want more scoop on Supergirl or The Flash, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Leah says:

2. Marc C (@MarcNYY618) says:

PLEASE let them book Neil Patrick Harris as Music Meister. It would be ridiculously awesome.

3. trooperwife says:

This needs John Barrowman also

4. Butch says:

They should get Lea Michelle as the villain,

5. Maria says:

I am as excited as when Barry got Kara her ice cream cone last season. As in, COMPLETELY.

6. Ruud Van says:

And then they wonder why the movie division wants nothing to do with them. What a clusterf***.

• Wordsmith says:

• davey1983 says:

Wordsmith, you may need to double check your facts. Let me be clear that I like the TV shows way more than the movies (haven’t even bothered watching the last DC movie, Suicide Squad) , but the DC movies have all made money (in the range of a couple hundred million each)– the exact opposite of ‘floundering’.

You could say the movies have under-performed, sure. However, the TV shows are on the CW and only have a few million watching, and compare that to the movies that have sold around 80 million tickets (each), and you can see that your claim is wrong.

• Wordsmith says:

That’s fair. In terms of the financials, the movies stand on firmer ground. Creatively, though, DC is constantly scrambling frantically to “fix” their films, while the TV shows seem free to coast along and do as they please, which is sort of what I was getting at.
          And in comparison to Marvel, DC certainly seems to be getting trounced in theaters but maintaining a modest but clear lead with their TV slate, at least in the public and critical arena.

• Roger Buchana says:

Should be good. But DCEU is killing it right now.

7. Wordsmith says:

It was clearly inevitable, but I’m a bit surprised that they got there this quickly. Not that I’m complaining, mind you.
    They clearly have more than enough singing talent to make it work – now all that’s left is the trickiest part: writing a plausible plot that can hope to justify all that awesome absurdity.

8. Butch says:

Its seems all the crossovers are to help Supergirl. It got a full season renewal while Legends got 13 episodes with an option for more. I think the CW needs to spread some love on the Legends.

• Blake says:

LoT averaged about half-ish of the Arrow / The Flash ratings, so it has been the “least successful” of the four series…

• meh says:

Seem like they are making Supergirl about anyhting but Supergirl. I have to think test markets weren’t all that captivated by the actress.

9. sepdvs says:

Sounds like a potential jumping of the shark. You’ve got a great cast; focus on smart story
    lines and scripts and skip the stunts, producers.

• Joe says:

But Supergirl doesn’t have a great cast. The lead is a bit average, the boss is gone, the two male suitors add nothing. The sister is the best part.

• sepdvs says:

Well, we simply beg to differ there. I am certainly not among the prime demographic target for this series. I had read the DC comics as a kid and happened to stumble upon the first episode and largely stuck with it. I think Melissa Benoist is as perfectly cast as the lead can be, capturing the duality of the character’s youth and uncertainties with her growing strength and confidence.

The others members of the ensemble are all terrific, too. And frankly, although I know it should be irrelevant because Mehcad Brooks is simply a fine actor, I’m glad that the historically red-haired, freckle-faced Jimmy Olsen was recast as a black man. And I’m glad that the burgeoning romance between Kara and James makes zero acknowledgement of being interracial, let alone inter-species! This sort of color-blindness on-screen simply helps to move society and humanity forward. Imagine! All this from a comic book-turned-TV character.

Despite my fondness for the show and cast, I am worried about its move to the CW, and stunt shows like a musical two-parter might certainly alienate me and a few others.

• Ralph says:

Mehcad is an average actor at best. He has shown no great acting chops here or anything else I’ve seen him in. He was a poor choice for Jimmy Olsen. They have no chemistry. He has more with Lucy Lane. I don’t mind adding diverse actors to the cast but they need to at least keep the characters traits and personalities in tact. This version of Olsen has absolutely nothing in common with the Jimmy we all grew up with. Not appearance, not personality, and not character! The least they could have done was make him the computer nerd so he brings something to the team. Right now he’s just a glorified paparazzi.

• Et al. says:

People said the same thing about Buffy and it turned out to be one of the best hours of television ever made (and they didn’t even have singers in the cast).

10. Cari says:

FINALLY!!!!!! I literally screamed out oud and scared my family when i read this!

11. Brian says:

Could be fun. Hopefully not goofy.

12. meh says:

weak. 10 years ago that might have been interesting.

13. DreamRose311 says:

My biggest complaint with the crossover last year was ‘couldn’t they have found time to make it to a karaoke bar?!’

I also second the NPH as Music Meister comment.

And I also second WordSmith’s comment: “Actually, I’m pretty sure that you have that equation backwards: the movie division is floundering expensively, while the TV side is stable enough to confidently get away with crazy sh*t like this.”

I am all yes for this.

14. Jordan says:

Rachel Bloom as the Music Meister!

15. Hollie says:

It seems like Berlanti is just taking the popular fan dream scenerios and making them real, which is not a bad thing if you do it right, but so far, they haven’t been done right. We’ll see…

16. Britt says:

Wait, wait… so we’re gonna meet Barry’s evil alter ego, Sebastian Smythe? And Kara’s brunette counterpart, Marley, will help us defeat him with a Journey song or a glitter slushie?

17. chuckfanforever says:

Why??????????? I’ll give you a why not….Superheroes don’t need to sing…unless it’s the alter ego in a karaoke bar with a drink in their hand…. Now in this case that would be NEVER cause Flash nor Supergril are affected by alcohol….

• Cari says:

Music Meister is a villain at least in the Supergirl universe that makes everyone sing. It fits these casts PERFECTLY!!!

18. amy says:

ew why. just because your lead can sing doesn’t mean we must all be put through musical episodes. that’s an episode of supergirl i’ll be skipping.

19. Deion says:

I sense Mr. Mxyzptlk.

20. Riana says:

Victor Garber also played Will’s father.

21. Daisy says:

Can we have an Earth-2 Tommy Merlin on the Flash ?

22. Luis says:

So can we get Chris Colfer and Lea Michele to guest star. They can team up with Melissa and sing “Defying Gravity” again.

23. R.O.B. says:

I’ve dreaded the musical episode ever since Elise Keaton started breaking into song on Family Ties. Too painful to watch. But I tell you what, Flash and Supergirl showrunners. If you can add the Flight of the Conchords to this crossover, I’m in. Seriously make this happen. And don’t forget Murray.

24. Bill says:

i absolutely hate musical episodes. I Couldn’t even watch one of the last episodes of Royal Pains because it was a musical

25. Douglas from Brazil says:

I’m done with The Flash.

26. Joey Padron says:

Good news there will be a musical crossover with both shows! Can’t wait to see which villian they’ll have for episodes.

27. Jason says:

The talent available for this off the charts so I’m cautiously optimistic. Finding a way for it to feel organic, like Buffy did, will be the challenge. Once More With Feeling is the high water mark that has yet to be matched.

28. Phun says:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

29. quang says:

I was so so certain that Supergirl was going to have a musical episode that I posted the idea on imdb when the pilot leaked. It seemed like a no-brainer, what with the casting of actors from Glee, Smash and Nashville.

30. Kristina says:

YES!!! How could you not, with these actors?

31. Cate53 says:

Woo Hoo! With the musical talent of Supergirl and The Flash, this was a no brainer! They need to get Laura Benanti back as she’s an awesome singer. Melissa Benoist, Jeremy Jordan are both excellent singers, Jesse Martin and Grant Gustin are also great! As long as they can make it not gimmick-y, it will be fab!

• Geo says:

Yes! If they do a musical Supergirl episode and don’t find a way to have the amazing Laura Benanti sing, they’re crazy!

32. ninergrl6 says:

Any excuse to have Jeremy Jordan sing is FANTASTIC. I saw him in West Side Story last month & he was absolutely phenomenal. He should be the only person allowed to sing “Maria” for the rest of time.

33. Jared says:

The CW sure has come a long way. Loving this news. I have a feeling the musical elements will be very tongue in cheek. Grant and Melissa were great on Glee.

34. Ella says:

Sounds fun!

35. Bark Star says:

Get Whedon.

36. retsim says:

Great idea .It could be a lot of fun .Look forward to it .

37. lrdslvrhnd says:

OK, having just heard Laura Benanti sing with the Boston Pops this evening, they absolutely NEED to get her back. I don’t care how – flashback with her singing a lullaby to baby Kara, dream sequence that’s part of the plot, shapeshifter, whatever – but they need to do it. Bonus points if they can have both her characters so she can sing a duet with herself. Which would be an awesome dream sequence, actually.

38. Terrence says:

A musical episode?? Seriously? Sounds like a huge waste of an episode, like why? Lol