Fall TV Preview
Arrow Flash Supergirl Crossover Preview

Arrow Flashbacks Ending, a Top-Secret Coming Out, Supergirl's Miss Martian and More CW Superhero Scoop

The masterminds behind The CW superhero shows Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow unleashed a litany of announcements — a musical crossover! casting news! — during the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Thursday.

“One of the characters [on the four series] is going to be coming out,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg revealed. EP Greg Berlanti added that it will be a “significant character.” (All signs are pointing to… Supergirl‘s [spoiler]!)

Other highlights from the session:

* New Supergirl series-regular Chris Wood will be playing Mon-El, who is in the Season 1 finale’s pod. Supergirl has also added Sharon Leal (Grimm, Hellcats) as Miss Martian.

Lance Henriksen* Legends of Tomorrow will introduce Lance Henriksen (Millennium) as Justice Society of America member Obsidian in Episode 5 of Season 2.

* In addition to Dr. Alchemy, The Flash‘s other Big Bad for Season 3 will be the speedster Savitar.

* “This is the last year of flashbacks” on Arrow, which will move to Russia, EP Marc Guggenheim confirmed. “It’s going to involve Oliver’s introduction into the Bratva. He’s basically recruited into this criminal organization. In the present day, he has recruits of his own. He’s a trainee in the past and a trainer in the present.”

* Speaking about whether actors from the other DC shows will appear in the Flash/Supergirl musical crossover, Berlanti acknowledged it was a possibility. “There’s a lot of time travel shows this year,” he said. “There’s only one time travel show where Victor Garber will be singing ‘Edelweiss’ to a bunch of Nazis. That is happening on [Legends].”

* Kevin Smith will direct an episode of Supergirl and another Flash installment.

1. Wordsmith says:

Very cool. Some big reveals here. Each one of these bullet points practically deserves to be an article all on its own.

2. hello says:

Alex+Lena luthor. I like it

3. webly3 says:

Yay, last year of flashbacks on Arrow! The flashbacks went from important, cool part of the story to a total drag on the plot in the last few years. Also, I wonder if the character coming out is Alex on Supergirl since I don’t remember her having a love interest in the first season.

• Marco Piazzo says:

Maxwell Lord?

• Taylor says:

Maxwell Lord? Plus, Alex mentioned on the TV show and the comic companion series her past boyfriends. But money it’s going to be Alex. I take exception that the revel of Sara Lance’s sexuality wasn’t a significant one.

4. Jared says:

The CW has the most fun shows on broadcast. The musical episode crossover already has me dead on the floor!

5. Mallory says:

“There’s only one time travel show where Victor Garber will be singing ‘Edelweiss’ to a bunch of Nazis. That is happening.”

OMG I cannot WAIT!!!

• Butch says:

And 15 years before the “Sound of Music” was written. Maybe he can sue Rodgers and Hammerstein for steeling his song.

6. texmike says:

Dear God, a musical crossover? Please give me a major break.

7. Blake says:

I need to catch up with Supergirl before the new season, but from what I saw it had no LGBTQ+ characters, probably because it was on CBS…

While The Flash has had recurring gay characters (Captain Singh, his husband, and Hartley), Legends of Tomorrow has bisexual Sarah Lance (White Canary), and Arrow has new regular character Curtis (his husband appeared a few times).

Maybe one of the previously established straight characters in The Flash comes out as bisexual*, or Wally has not had his sexuality established yet (right?), or maybe it is Tom Felton’s new regular character.
    *Or is a consequence of Flashpoint, one of the established characters “turns” gay…

• Goldenvibefan says:

I honestly have 0 idea of who it could be.

• jj says:

As you stated there are already many gay or bi characters in the Arrowverse including Nyssa (you hadn’t mentioned her, but she’s so awesome I had to add her to the list), that I can’t see how having another character come out makes much of a difference. Unless it’s a villain as that would be something new.

8. zackkattackk843 says:

Miss Martian!!!!! I am so stoked

9. I assume that Miss Martian will be J’onn’s wife instead of his niece on Supergirl as Sharon is in her 40’s.

• Steveo says:

Yeah, that casting choice is *bizarre.*

Can’t help but be a completely different character than Miss Martian.

(I was hoping for Amandla Steinberg, myself.)

• John NYC says:

Aliens aren’t locked into aging the same as humans, plus shape shifting…..

10. I think Alex Danvers makes sense and it would create a love interest for new character Maggie Sawyer.

11. Erik says:

I’m guessing the gay character will be winn

12. James D says:

Megan Morse is coming, heck yes! awesome news and I love Sharon Leal. Musical crossover sounds fun. Don’t think it makes sense that Wynn would be the character coming out as he spent most of last season lusting after Kara, and there was that whole Silver Banshee thing. I’m trying to think who else it could be?

13. Ashton says:

The character coming out has gotta be Winn right???

14. kath says:

I’m excited for Lance Hendriksen and Dolph Lundgren.
    Other than that, not much. I’m seriously annoyed at how Arrow keeps getting put on the back burner while they promote their pet shows. Why shouldn’t Arrow be part of the cross-over? From the things Barrowman puts out, there is enough talk on Arrow for a musical episode.

• jj says:

Stephen Amell has specifically stated that he wants nothing to do with a musical episode.

• Mary says:

I’m good with Arrow being left out of this. Crossovers tend to take away from the plot, and if you don’t watch all the shows involved you become confused. Plus if one show has a time jump and the other one doesn’t then the viewers are told to ignore that discrepancy and just enjoy the show.

15. Andrew Hass says:

I do think it’s time for the flashbacks on Arrow to end and for Oliver to finally to put his past in the past.

16. Joey Padron says:

Great announcements and casting news from DC shows today.

17. george harrington says:

I thought Mon-el was from Daxem, not Krypton

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

He is.

• CPav says:

Daxam, but by way of Krypton; his code name (real name is Lar Gand) comes from the fact that he first met Superboy on a MONday and they thought he was a relative from the house of El.

And yes, I did that from memory. The geek is strong in this one.

• ScottJ says:

I would never have expected Mon El as a series regular. His powers are a duplication of Supergirl’s so the heroes are rather power heavy. I suppose the show could change that or remove his powers somehow, although Kryptonite won’t do it since he’s not from Krypton.

18. Oscar the Oddity says:

Sharon Leal is certainly and interesting choice to play Miss Martian. I loved her on Boston Public but I haven’t really followed her career since then. If they’re aging the character up, maybe they’re going to potentially age up some of the other Teen Titans characters as well and introduce a few of them for guest appearances? Total speculation on my part and probably pretty unlikely, but it would explain the actress’ age.

Is she going to be green all the time? If so, they might be able to CGI her character to look younger and I think her voice would possibly match if that happens, but not if she appears as her regular-aged self. She’s still a beautiful woman, however, and she looks younger than she is.

19. Rahajicho says:

So Oliver will become a high-ranking member of the Bratva and learn to fly a plane after a few months. O.K.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You sound like you are keeping a very open mind. Must make for fun viewing!

• Lori says:

Why must people like you try and apply real life logic to TV shows? Instead you want to nit pick and be dick-ish about everything. Good lord.

Amen for your answer, Matt.

20. J.B. says:

Obsidian is gay in the comics but I doubt they’d mention anything about that on LoT. And my bet is Alex being the gay character. For some reason I seriously doubt it would be a male character.

21. truzak says:

So I can’t just escape into the fantasy world of super heroes? I have to know their sexual orientation too? Because why?

The first LGBTQ I see in spandex I’m gone.

And I’ll be taking my money with me, if any sponsors give a shite.

If Hollywood – or in this case,Vancouver – truly feel the need to proselytize on the merits of homosexuality, I feel the need to provide the counter-point that it is a perversion of nature and an abomination to the Creator.

So I wonder how long it takes for the thought police to yank this post? Laughable.

22. sir ali says: