The Real O'Neals EPs Deny ABC Nearly Cut Show's Season 2 Episode Order in Wake of Noah Galvin-Gate

The producers of ABC’s The Real O’Neals are denying a report that ABC considered cutting the comedy’s Season 2 episode order as punishment for Noah Galvin’s incendiary Vulture interview, in which the gay actor accused Eric Stonestreet of “playing a caricature … of a stereotype” as Modern Family‘s Cam.

“That part of that story is not true,” maintained exec producer Casey Johnson at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Thursday. “There wasn’t any threat to cut our order or anything like that. ABC’s been incredibly supportive.”

Johnson also insisted that things remained relatively calm behind-the-scenes in the days after the story dropped. “The article came out and Noah regretted what he said and apologized fairly quickly,” she said. “I think we’ve all said things we wish we hadn’t. And we all got back to work. So, really, there wasn’t that much buzzing behind the scenes.”

In making his apology, Galvin said, “I think Eric Stonestreet is a wonderful actor,” he tweeted less than 12 hours after the interview went viral. “I apologize to everyone I’ve hurt with my comments and understand the damage that has been done. I am new to this and will certainly commit to being more thoughtful and wiser as I navigate all of this moving forward.”

1. keniri says:

Like I believe Stonesweet’s apology. The only reason these type of apologies are offered by those who said them is because of pressure from the movie studio or network studio executives applying pressure to the actor. Gavin said what was on his mind and I for one don’t believe his capitulation. Just proves how much of a wimp he is for caving in. WHAT A SELL OUT.

2. Alec says:

Two things:

1. Noah Galvin is an as*hole.
    2. The show is great.

Once we acknowledge that, we can continue watching the show in peace.

• Ethel says:

He is the one reason I couldn’t stand to keep watching this show. If he thinks Stonestreet is playing a caricature, he should check his own acting..This kid is annoying at best.

3. Max says:

He shoulda been recast. Period.

4. SIMON says:

He’s a punk. But, the show’s hilarious and his character is fabulous! If he wasn’t a part of the show, there would be no show…. It actually has a wonderful message, so of course — like most shows with a “message”, it’ll be cancelled next season. 😢

5. Anne says:

What bothers me is that everyone is upset about what he said about Stonestreet. Galvin, as a gay man, has the right to critique depictions of his identity on television.
    What he doesn’t have the right to do is engage in seriously messed up gay bashing towards Colton Haynes. How a person chooses to ‘come out’ is no one’s decision except the person involved and no one gets to criticize that.
    The fact that Galvin has had to apologize MOST for the Stonestreet comment and not for the Haynes comment is messed up.

• Nicole says:

I agree. Critiquing how gay characters are portrayed is not an issue to me. However he was not thoughtful in his critique at all. Then on top of that to bash Colton who just months prior was talking about his anxiety publicly for the first time and coming out and you decide to bash HIM for it? He’s terrible for that point blank. The article seemed like a rant from someone that frankly needs a lesson is decency.

• Patrick says:

The Haynes comments were out of bounds. That said, I can understand how an out actor may not like a closeted actor pretending to be straight by engaging in fake public relationships. Still, he handled that poorly.
        But, lets be honest, he was dead on about Stonestreet’s portrayal of a gay man. The writers/producers want it that way. Much like how Jack on Will and Grace was a very stereotypical gay man. Both were very popular because they played into some very negative stereotypes that people very much enjoy laughing at. ABC is doing it for laughs, and to pretend otherwise is very specious.

• Agreed 1.000%!
      Also, the show is great and he is one of the main reasons for that, an amazing young actor.

As a gay man, I fully support everything he said about Stonestreet.
      And I understand it must be incredibly frustrating to be working on a show MUCH more committed to showcasing the struggles of being LGBT and yet be overshadowed by a depiction that does not represent our reality, done by straight people and for straight people.

• Lucifer says:

What bothers me is that you and many others think that Stonestreet’s character is a black-and-white, stereotypical gay man. As a gay man and a fan of Modern Family, I will admit I cringed when I first started the show. But over the course of the series, Cam has been shown to have many different sides to him and the flamboyant, feminine side is just one part. The cries over him being a stereotype have been going around since the show started by people who just want to have something to cry about. I also wonder if most people are just upset that Stonestreet is straight playing gay because despite Jesse Tyler Ferguson’s character also having moments of being stereotypically gay, there’s never been any on-going criticism of his character. I’d also like to point to Kurt on Glee and Galvin’s character who are not just stereotypes, but literal caricatures of gay men. If you’re going to single out a gay character because you feel they are a stereotype of gay men, you look pretty ridiculous when you’re playing a caricature of one.

6. Ram51" says: