Game of Thrones Recap Season 6 Finale

HBO Boss on Game of Thrones End Date and Possible Spinoff, Deadwood Revival, Curb Season 9 Timetable

The Deadwood revival movie remains on track and Game of Thrones is indeed nearing the finish line.

At HBO’s portion of the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Saturday, the cabler’s new programming president Casey Bloys noted that Deadwood creator David Milch is “writing the script,” adding, “We haven’t read it yet. I imagine it will be very good. I feel good about it… But I can’t tell you that [it’s happening] for sure.”

Bloys’ predecessor, Michael Lombardo, was decidedly more bullish on the project, telling TVLine back in January that the Deadwood pic “is going to happen.”

Also at HBO’s exec session, Bloys confirmed that Game of Thrones will conclude with its eighth season and that a spinoff has been discussed. “We’ve talked about it,” he said. “It’s something I’m not opposed to, but it has to make sense creatively. I’m open to it. The guys aren’t opposed to it, but there’s no concrete plans.”

Bloys also confirmed that Game of Thrones‘ delayed Season 7 premiere will take the show out of the 2017 Emmy race, but insisted awards are “not our main goal. The main goal is to do the best show for our subscribers and fans. … [The Emmy fallout] is just something we have to live with.”

Other key takeaways/announcements from Bloys’ presser:

* J.J. Abrams’ big-budget Westworld will premiere Sunday, Oct. 2 at 9/8c, while Sarah Jessica Parker’s Divorce will bow Sunday, Oct. 9 at 10/9c, followed by new comedy Insecure at 10:30/9:30c.

* Jon Stewart’s previously-announced deal with HBO will find the Daily Show vet producing “an animated parody of a cable news network. It will be Jon’s voice — actual voice and tone.”

* The Leftovers‘ third and final season will debut in 2017 (possibly filling GoT‘s now-available spring launch spot.)

* True Detective is “not dead,” Bloys maintained when asked about the potential for a third season. “I’m just not sure we have the right take for a third season yet.” Bloys also hinted that TD could return without series creator Nic Pizzolatto.

* Production on Curb Your Enthusiasm‘s ninth season will commence this fall ahead of an expected 2017 premiere. (Bloys initially misspoke and said Curb would not be return until 2018.)

* Regarding the decision to renew and then cancel Vinyl, Bloys said, “The decision to pick it up was an optimistic one… With a little bit of distance… it really becomes about priorities. The tough decision [came down to], ‘Are we going to get this from good to great?’ I didn’t know if we were going to make it. And if I’ve got limited resources, there are other things I want to do.”

1. Kevin says:

We have been promised a Deadwood revival movie for years! What piece of Dead Wood over at HBO do we need to contact in order to finally get it done?

• MMD says:

Love your comment and I’m in!!! LOL One of the best shows ever (once I got passed the language) and I want a DEFINITE AIR DATE!!!

2. Azerty says:

I am glad they don’t want to strech GOT for too long too many shows try to milk their success and end up being bad (Dexter or How I met your mother are peffect examples). But two shortened seasons seems rush…i hope they will be nothing unresolved it would be a shame to leave unfinished business when a show is that good.

3. Arlene says:

Deadwood, I’ll be dead by the time that comes out. GoT — frankly, all I now care about is reading Martin’s next book. Love the show, of course, but now can he just go back to working on the actual book? Can he…will he even want to anymore? *sigh* I’ll probably be dead by then too. Just hoping to last long enough for Curb Your Enthusiasm.

4. Hillary says:

What would a GoT be about? A prequel?

• Katie_Mead says:

If they were to stick with existing material, there’s The Dance of the Dragons or The Tales of Dunk & Egg, both of which could be thought of as prequels, though of mostly unrelated characters in earlier Westeros. Some of the games might also be adaptable. There’s also plenty of scope for something completely new set within this world, and obviously a strong market for Swords & Sorcery type fantasy, when done properly.

5. Jimmy Joyous says:

You said end *date*, not end *season*…

6. dman6015 says:

Great. New executive seems less enthused about a Deadwood movie. Code for, if the script isn’t the best thing ever written, it’s not getting made. Thanks, HBO.

7. Jordan says:

Do you guys know that when HBO said today a possible second season of the night of; did they mean a completely separate second season like an anthology show like true detective of continuation like a regular drama series ?

8. Kevin K says:

Hope the eighth and final season of GoT is going to run six episodes.

9. Phoenix5634 says:

Should go for a Tolkien-like movie series. I bet it’d do very well. 3 movie series showing Old Valyria before the Doom, and could explore the far east, Yi Ti, Asshai, shadowlands, etc. Show the Children of the Forest in their prime. And the original Night’s King… And if their successful, maybe do a 3 movie series for what happens after the tv series ends or slight before it started… Like Argon’s Conquest, or the Dance of the Dance would make great movies too.