The clock. The boxes. The dink! dink! dink! dink! ticking. They’ll all be there when 24: Legacy debuts in February, producers and stars of the Fox series assured fans during a San Diego Comic-Con panel on Sunday. And please, don’t call it a “reboot.”
“This is more of an expansion of the 24 universe,” producer Manny Coto told fans in Hall H, likening the upcoming series to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. “It’s really just another story in the same world” that introduced us to the original version’s Jack Bauer, played by Kiefer Sutherland.
So does that mean that Jack & Co. will show up to give new central character Eric Carter (played by Straight Outta Compton‘s Corey Hawkins) an assist?
“You never know when those worlds may intersect,” Coto teased, later adding, “I think all of us really want to finish that story.”
Stars Hawkins, Miranda Otto and Jimmy Smits and producers Coto, Howard Gordon, and Evan Katz took part in Fox’s Action Showcase, an event that also included Prison Break stars Wentworth Miller, Dominic Purcell, Sarah Wayne Callies and Robert Knepper and producer Vaun Wilmott.
Here’s what the 24 group discussed:
* Hawkins described his character, a former Army Ranger returned to the United States after taking part in a high-profile operation, as “a new hero for a new day” torn between responsibilities to his country and his family. He makes “morally questionable choices in the same way that Jack Bauer did, but the difference is that he’s a soldier,” Hawkins added. “The rules of engagement are different in the homeland… He struggles with that, internally.”
* The series previewed two sneak-peek clips. One showed the extended version of the home invasion depicted in the previously released trailer. Another had Eric and another man under siege at a construction site; a lethal, rolling section of pipe, an impaling and plenty of bullets were involved.
* Otto, whose Homeland character wasn’t exactly on the up-and-up, was asked whether her 24 alter ego Rebecca — the former head of CTU — can be trusted. “I think I’m all that I seem,” she said. “I guess you never really know on this show where your character is going to go. I feel like I’m a good guy this time, but we’ll see.”
* When a fan asked whether or not we’ll see Hawkins’ Walking Dead character Heath again, the actor kept it vague. “We’ll see what the future for Heath is on that show,” he said. “The journey of being on this show is completely different.”
* Does Eric invoke one of Jack’s favorite phrases and say, “Damnit!” “He might,” Hawkins said, laughing. “It’s a long day.”
24: Legacy will premiere Sunday, Feb. 5, after Super Bowl 51 on Fox.