Comic-Con
Game Of Thrones Season 7

Game of Thrones @ Comic-Con: Cast Talks Jon Snow's Paternity Reveal, the Impending Stark Family Feud and More

In lieu of a three-eyed raven, the Game of Thrones cast and showrunners on Friday did their best to predict what the future holds for the HBO series during their Comic-Con panel.

Creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, director Miguel Saopchnik, as well as stars Liam Cunningham, John Bradley, Nathalie Emmanuel, Conleth Hill, Sophie Turner, Iwan Rheon, Faye Marsay, Isaac Hempstead-Wright and Kristian Nairn were all on hand to discuss the events of Season 6, as well as what could happen in Season 7:

* Benioff, once again explaining why we have to wait until Summer 2017 for more episodes: “Winter is here, and we have to shoot in places where there are trees. We have to wait until leaves fall off. … There’s no way to get the show out there until Summer.”

* Rheon, in defense of Ramsay (dubbed “America’s Sweetheart” by moderator Rob McElhenney): “Poor guy’s had a tough upbringing. He’s a bastard in the North, which is always difficult, and he’s been looking for his father’s love and acceptance all his life.” (Turner’s sarcastic response: “Boo. Hoo.”)

* Nairn on the response to Hodor’s death: “It has been overwhelming. I did not expect it to be so crazy. I’m really, really flattered as well. It’s blown my mind. I was in LA a few days ago at a hotel, and all their door stops said ‘Hodor’ on them. I went, ‘Really?’ It’s been incredible. The scene was incredibly written and directed. I knew I was going to be killed, but I didn’t expect the outpouring of emotions.”

* Though Sapochnik is not listed as a director for Season 7, he “would very much hope” to be back for Season 8.

* Cunningham on Shireen’s death: “When I got the script for the first time, you would have heard the clang of my jaw hitting the ground when I read it. … That relationship with Shireen was very easy. She’s an absolutely gorgeous human being, and a beautiful actress — and these guys keep taking the people I love working with away from me.”

* Bradley said his dream death for Sam would be falling off a ladder in his new library: “Sam’s always been told that books are follies and to be dismissed.” He then invited the audience to imagine Sam in a Battle of the Bastards-type battle with a bunch of books.

* “It’s hard to know what the future brings for her, but she genuinely believes in Daenerys and her claim. Daenerys has saved her live and liberated her and acknowledged her brilliance. … These two women respect each other and lift each other up. … I hope Missandei continues to support Daenerys, and they continue to be this sort-of girl power couple.

* Turner theorizing why Sansa didn’t tell Jon about the Knights of the Vale: “She wanted all the credit, and it was a more dramatic moment when they showed up. It made for really good television. Now here’s the question I’m wanting to know: Why It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia didn’t get an Emmy nomination?” (McElhenney appreciated that one.)

* As for Jon and Sansa’s conflicting aspirations: “I’m not sure she believes Jon is capable of running Winterfell and the North,” Turned said. “She thinks he doesn’t have the intellect, the knowledge and the experience that she has … and I concur. But she knows he has those Stark morals, and inevitably, he’ll make the right decision. But whether it’s going to benefit anyone is another story.”

* Marsay was quick to shoot down the theory that Arya and the Waif are the same person: “I think the theory was a cool one. It would have been really cool, but I think Arya is Arya, and that’s her journey. The way it is now is the best way.”

* On the reveal of Jon Snow’s true lineage: “He might not know why that is, but for some reason, it’s imperative that he spreads the word,” Hempstead-Wright said. “I presume he’ll somehow tell Jon, but I’m not sure how he’ll respond when Bran shows up and says, ‘I’m a Tree Wizard and your dad isn’t your dad.”

Your thoughts on the cast’s teases for Season 7? Drop ’em all in a comment below.

1. TiggsBC says:

Sansa’s hardly been a genius these past seasons…claiming she has the intellect to run the North and Jon doesn’t…I don’t see much proof in that.

• Patrick says:

From her POV, she has been trained to be the mistress of a large estate/noble house. She’s been taught the actual management of an estate. Jon is a good war time leader. But he might not be good at actually managing the minutia of the day to day running of a massive estate/fiefdom.

• Amy says:

Sansa was trained to sew beatiful dresses and be pleasant, but Margaery Tyrell she is not. She lacks the knowledge Lyanna Mormont displays when it comes to lead, the intellect Margaery had to maneuver under a hostile environment or the experience Myranda, Brienne or Melisandre had in combat. Granted, Jon can’t be pleasant himself and he’s not as capable as Margaery was, by a long shot. But he’s still more than capable to command a Castle.

• clementzia says:

I used to like Sansa because she wasn’t a tomboy like Arya or a badass like Yara or a conqueror like Daenrys. Bad things happened to poor Sansa. Things that a lot of female viewers can probably relate to. Sorry feminists, but it’s true. That she jumped off the wall of Winterfell with Theon was a BIG! I cheered. That she gave Jon a reason to fight again was GREAT! That she got the credit for winning the Battle of the Bastards sucked. I hated it.

2. Hope Sansa just leads Littlefinger on and eventually betrays him to benefit Jon. It was such a beautiful – and long awaited – Stark family reunion between Jon and Sansa that I hope all this chatter about her betraying him is just smoke – not that GOT would EVER mislead us.

3. doug says:

I have come to the conclusion it bothers Sophie Turner that Sansa is not seen in a similar light as say a Daenerys or an Arya. Her bizarre comments (not just this season either) seem to lead me down that road.

• Amy says:

I reckon she doesn’t see Sansa for who she is but rather for whom she wishes Sansa might have been. Shireen was pretty weak too, but she won the audience because of who the character was, not because she wished to be Daenerys. Same thing for Gilly or Myrcella. None of them were Arya, some were as frail as Selyse or Sam’s sister. Their vulnerability has nothing to do with how likeable or no not a character can be.

• Lucy says:

I’m thinking that Sophie’s comments were just tongue in cheek because otherwise they would just be really, really peculiar. Why would Sansa tell Jon that he should take the lord’s room and that she considered him a Stark if she felt entitled to all the credit? Not to mention she seemed distressed that Jon now realized that she hadn’t been able to put all her faith in him to protect her.

4. Keefer says:

Considering Sansa stuck with Littlefinger when offered a chance to leave and then got married off to the Bolton’s and raped I’m not thinking the character is all that smart.

• Amy says:

I agree, Sansa is the worst judge of character considering she rejected both Brienne and Theon, the only characters who actually were there to help. And embraced Cersei and Littlefinger, the two characters who have caused the most damage to Sansa overall.

5. Scribe says:

Frankly, I don’t think the actress knows anything until she sees the script. My impression was that she was happy that Jon was made King of the North but became apprehensive when she saw Littlefinger’s response. I think she wants him to protect Jon from himself because he is kind.

6. Sarah says:

It’s pretty natural for an actor to speak from the character’s point of view and not see the bigger picture. Sansa seems to have always had a much higher opinion of herself than any objective viewer – or any other character for that matter – does. It’s understandable that Sophie thinks Sansa is smarter and more capable than she really is, because Sansa thinks she’s smarter and more capable than she really is.
    On a side note, I am now DYING to see Bran show up and literally say, “I’m a tree wizard!”

• Amy says:

I would love to see what he can do! Not only with his powers but with the information Bran can gather (as well as the information he already has).

7. JustJade says:

Mikey A., I can’t believe how grown up you are in those pics! I remember when you were just a little guy over at that other place you used to work. :)

8. Tamsyn says:

I saw the panel on youtube and Turner appears to be sauced but the bigger turn off was her arrogance. From the way Turner struts across the stage, to her talking and laughing while Nathalie Emmanuel is answering a Missandei question, to her egotistical view of the Sansa character. And when Emmanuel throws her a compliment about being most excited about the Stark reunion, Turner doesn’t even smile, she just has this resting bitch face. Sorry about the rant, I just had an allergic reaction to Turner.

9. Guest says:

Sad to hear from the comments around social media that Turner has seemed to let fame go to her head with her over entitlement of self worth that she displayed on the panel..I hope this isn’t true, I haven’t watched it yet. There’s a difference between having fun and being disrespectful on these comic con panels and I sure hope she didn’t step over that line!

10. No one says the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms has to be a man or Woman. Daenrys has offspring: three dragons: Drogon has influenced a number of things Daenrys has done. In the catacombs Tirian says “some say dragons are wiser than men”. Neither Drogon nor Daenrys know about Jon Snows claim yet. Which leads to another issue: some people have speculated that Snow and Daenrys might share the throne as man and wife (I know that’s aunt and nephew but this is Game of Thrones) but Daenrys has said ” I have given birth to three dragons and will have no more children”. So if that happened Drogon would still have a claim to the throne unless Snow had a second marriage.