Bones Finale Trump Controversy

Bones Finale Trumped by RNC in Some Markets; Deschanel Shares Fans' Anger

Bones fans on the West Coast and in other Mountain and Pacific markets were in for a surprise of the unscripted sort on Thursday night when Fox joined the Season 11 finale in progress — 40 minutes in — after wrapping coverage of Donald Trump’s speech at the Republican National Convention.

The discovery that they had been denied two-thirds of the season ender immediately fueled Twitter outrage, as scores wondered how Fox could not better schedule around the RNC and what surely would be an unpredictable (and, ultimately, record-setting) speech length.

Series lead Emily Deschanel even got in on the head-scratching, with a series of tweets asking how viewers were to make sense of what was going on, 40 minutes in. (UPDATE: The finale will air again this month, get details.)

Were you among those affected/preempted by the RNC’s closing night? (And for those who caught any or all of the finale, be sure to read our post mortems with exec producer Jonathan Collier and a key player in the season-ending bombshell.)

1. Lily says:

So disrespectful! I thought Fox can’t possibly treat the show any worse than it already has.

2. Kathy Amidon says:

As a fan of Bones since its inception, I am very unhappy that the network did not foresee the extended comments by Mr. Trump. I do hope the network provides ample notice of its plan to rerun the entire season finale.

3. Heather says:

Is there another showing of Bones season finale scheduled yet?

4. David Stevens says:

I dvr’d it and even cbs was screwed up two nights in a row with big brother no explanation just screwy programming. .not as bad as fox I was flabbergasted. .floored I tell you. .flummoxed. .wtf

5. Mark says:

Phoenix did not get to see any of the season finale

6. april says:

need to re-air the episode cutting it off with trump was not right!!

7. Common Sense says:

Weird. I’m on the West Coast and the episode aired on time here.

8. PatriciaLee says:

The husband and I were bummed out that we had to miss Jeopardy every night, this week, catching only a few minutes and tonight nothing. We feel your Bones pain with the husband saying, “That should not happen to anyone’s show!” I wonder if they realize that viewers are also voters. It is beyond me why they are so happy or lazy to tick off potential votes. Why not just play all the shows pushed up a little? I was shocked by this happening across the board.

9. Helen says:

We got to watch Bones. It was really scarey end . I loved it !

10. John NYC says:

Any streaming options?

11. Lynne says:

I guess Fox figured the other 6 stations weren’t enough. But why not wait until 9:00 and start Bones so we could see all of it?
    Fox will continue to treat Bones badly until the very end.
    I purchased a season pass on iTunes so I downloaded the finale this morning.

12. Mandy says:

The other networks handled it much better all 4 nights. If the went over the shows just started later but we still got to see the shows.

13. Jane Akl says:

I watched the whole episode I had it set on my DVR it was really good and quite the shocker at the end!

14. drb999 says:

The CW did the same thing here in Los Angeles with Beauty and the Beast. I had no idea it would happen. If I did I would’ve added more time to the dvr. I made sure to extend the time for next week in case Hilary Clinton goes over time.

15. John says:

Two things had me absolutely fuming the first was how my Fox affiliate cut away from trump’s speech which was already in progress to the Bones finale at it’s schedule airing…. only to cut away a few minutes later. I mean why even bother cutting away if you’re just going to cut back!. The second and this is what had me really angry was after the whole mess I go on social media to see what’s going on and if there will be a rebroadcast, JUST TO HAVE IT SPOILED. But the worst part about it was it wasn’t just your ordinary spoiler no this was a defining moment in the shows history, something fans had been waiting for so long. An episode; a finale that would have more than satisfied fans like myself who felt the last couple of seasons were incredibly dull…. all ruined in an instant.

16. Fred says:

I can tell you the ending and beginning, they find a body, someone is a psychopath, and bones figured out who did it, lol wait til next season. ..lol. smh. Wow this is why we have low info voters in this world, the convention was way better than any crap that is on tv, it had suspense and drama and the good guy won, perfect show

17. Nina Wolfson says:

OUTRAGEOUS! But then, I haven’t been able to see the past FIVE episodes due to local FOX affiliate’s ongoing contract dispute DISH…AND I can’t watch any of the episodes online either for the same reason. FOX is despicable all the way around. >_<

18. Linda Tirabassi says:

Please re-air the season finale! I am a loyal follower and so upset at the poor decision made by Fox.

19. Diane says:

I’m on the east coast so I was fine, but I would have been pissed. Fox always treats Bones like poo.
    BTW Loved the episode!

20. lauren says:

FOX should have scheduled better. they know that live events go over. they need to re air it!

21. AJ says:

Didn’t effect me as I live on the East Coast, but why did Fox run repeats of Bones in early July and save NEW episodes to go against the RNC. Seems like someone was asleep at the programming board. But I’d be shocked if Fox doesn’t repeat it very soon, but yes, as others have said, you can watch it on Fox.com and Hulu.

22. Mary Wepfer says:

Please show the season finale again soon. I expected to see the end last night but was very disappointed that it didn’t continue after the looong speech, which the news covered again!! There aren’t many shows on TV that I want to watch but I have seen every episode of Bones!

23. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I missed the first 40 mins of the show and I live in the west coast! That’s some F-in BS Fox had the never to show Trumps stupidass I don’t give a Damn what he has to say or the DNC next week! Fox NEEDS to ‘re air this episode!!!!!

24. Gretchen Bueter says:

This was a travesty of people’s expectations for their own personal closure and pleasure! If indeed, there was Any possibility that the RNC speech would disrupt viewers’s plans for that particular timeframe; then Bones should have been removed in its entirety, and comment made to view at a later date.
    Let’s hope that speeches from possible future leaders of our country, disrupting our only choice moments of pleasure and downtime from our hectic days, does not become a prelude to our future hopes and dreams!

25. Sandi says:

Fox could have should have cut off the RNC at the scheduled to time. The very least Fox can do now is to run the season finale of Bones as soon as possible.

26. Patsy Jordan says:

I was SO disappointed that FOX did this! Talk about feeling gyped! They need to rebroadcast A.S.A.P.

27. kmw says:

I was able to see all of it but really FOX? Unbeliveable how this show gets jacked around I am stunned their demo number didn’t drop lower and not even remotely surprised their audience numbers were awful. FOX is re airing what next Friday, that is the best they could do. Bunch of crap that’s all there is to it. If I wasn’t done with FOX before I am now. Just stupid

28. CJ Fox says:

I caught the last two minutes of Bones – and was shocked! I mean WOW.

I’m glad I at least caught “that” – but I’m really disappointed that I missed the entire episode. Guess I’ll be signing up for Hulu.

29. Darlene says:

In Arizona we saw first 30 minutes then got trumpet-interruptus. Please please re-air Bones finale. Hopefully next week.

30. Marci says:

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and couldn’t believe they didn’t air the episode from the beginning. This was the season finale–what were they thinking? My DVR recording started with the interview with the puppeteer, so I watched the first part of the episode on On Demand, then switched to my recording (so I could fast forward through the commercials).

31. Nick says:

This was ridiculous! Got the first 15 minutes then this Trump speech. Thought after it would go back but no right to news. Bones is a great show and this is just embarrassing to FOX. Just want to know when they will re-air it.

32. jacque wright says:

i have to see the season finale, on my channel in phx, az only 15 minutes was played. I want the local fox 10 AZ tel tell me exactly when it reseats. They are just saying later this month? what does that mean? are they going to announce it ? how will I know? I just scanned all of fox 10 programming and it is not listed for the rest of the month. I for one didn’t mind seeing the RNC – it was quite exciting – with the rolling stones taking it out with a massive rock out of You can’t always get what you want” – but i am terribly hung up on not seeing bones, my most favorite show. they should be scrawling across the banners when it is on again. jacque