Preacher 108 Recap

Preacher Recap: To Hell and Back

Ignoring the sound advice that Kenny Rogers offered us all in “The Gambler,” Preacher’s Jesse in this week’s episode acted like he didn’t know when to fold ’em. As a result, we were left anticipating an appearance by the ultimate Special Guest Star. Or disaster. Or, most likely, both. What in “the god of meat’s” name am I going on about? Read on and find out!

SOULLESS SURVIVOR | Beginning with a flashback, “El Valero” revealed that Odin hadn’t always been quite so awful: He had been shocked into heartlessness when his entire family was killed in a freak skiing accident. His beef — no pun intended — with Jesse’s dad stemmed from the fact that, in the wake of the tragedy, John had refused to denounce God.

When next we joined Jesse in the present, we found him alternating between kicking the butts of Odin’s invading employees and pleading with the Lord to return Eugene from hell. Which, miraculously, He seemed to. (Key word: seemed.) “You dug outta hell with your hands?” asked Jesse, incredulous. “It’s not that far,” Eugene replied.

After Arseface explained that the preacher’s “voice thing” had called to him, Jesse admitted that the teen had been right — using his superpower was cheating, and he had to give it back. To the guys from the motel? Eugene asked. Hey, wait a minute — Jesse never told him about DeBlanc and Fiore. Dang it, the boy wasn’t really there!

‘WHOLLY’ WAR | Meanwhile, outside All Saints’, Odin explained to his militia what they were fighting for (and was surprised to learn that he had not just come up with the concept of a food court). Unfortunately for him, as one of his men noted when they attacked again, “Not only can Preacher fight, he can shoot.” As a matter of fact, he shot Clive’s pecker clean off!

After calling DeBlanc and Fiore to the church, Jesse offered to return Genesis if they’d help him retrieve Eugene. A deal more or less struck, the entity was at last extracted from the preacher — using the “Wynken, Blynken and Nod” technique, not the chainsaw method. But the angels then balked at the idea of helping save Eugene. Worse, Genesis quickly escaped its can and reentered Jesse! That’s it, DeBlanc declared. “No more trying.” (At that point, even Jesse’s vision of Eugene vanished.)

TAKE TWO | Later, even drunk, Jesse managed to repel Odin’s army once more. But Donnie, of all people, had a plan. To protect himself from the preacher’s power of suggestion, the bully had stuck his head in his car trunk and fired a gun, deafening himself. (If he couldn’t hear Jesse’s command, he couldn’t obey it!) Though Donnie successfully delivered the preacher to Odin, Jesse still refused to give up his land to the self-proclaimed “god of meat.” “Gimme one more Sunday,” he said. Yes, he’d tried and failed to bring Annville to God. “So next Sunday, I’m gonna bring God to the town!” And if he and his congregation didn’t like the Lord’s answers to their questions, the preacher swore to denounce Him right then and there!

DOGGONE | While all of this was going on, Tulip went out and adopted an adorable dog named Brewski. And, for most of the hour, we were left in the dark as to why (other than that dogs are awesome). When finally, we realized the reason, I dunno about you, but I was sorry I had: She’d taken in Brewski to feed him to Cassidy, who, though unseen, was surely worse for wear after Jesse let him burn up.

As the episode drew to a close, we cut briefly to that mysterious control room that we sometimes visit. There, an alarm went off, the DANGER light flashed, and the guy monitoring the system relieved the rising pressure. (Is it just me, or does his job remind you a lot of Homer’s on The Simpsons?)

So, what did you think of “El Valero”? Did you suspect all along that Eugene hadn’t returned from hell? How horrified were you that Tulip fed Brewski to Cassidy? I would’ve sacrificed Miles or Odin instead! Hit the comments.

1. AngelWasHere says:

This show is so weird. >_> I miss Cassidy already. I’m pissed about the dog though.

2. N says:

Ive really enjoyed this show so far but I thought this episode went a bit out there, and left me a little worried about the future of the show. The whole Civil war reenactment, which There was something about Preacher shooting Clive’s manhood off that just felt like a jump the shark moment, instead of being humorous. I also found the whole Eugene thing to be a bit confusing, as it was all in Preachers head but at times it felt like the Angles could see him as they would look right at him, it was strange. The Angles conveniently left the can holding Genesis, after they went through to get it back. unattended for it to break free. Finally, the big Odin reveal is that he was serving the god of meat. It was all very weird and I find myself wanting Cassidy back ASAP, however please spare us any more cute dogs from being slaughtered. RIP Brewski.

3. The Squatch says:

So… wouldn’t that whole thing with Odin Quincannon mean that the Preacher actually won the bet? He said that Odin would serve god. Odin admitted to serving the God of Meat. Which god was never specified. A technicality, I grant you. But murderers have gotten let free with less. hehe

4. Dog lover says:

I won’t watch it anymore because they did that to the dog. Total bs!

• Bella says:

Are you kidding Odin owns a meat plant where he kills cows every day and that does not piss you off, the sound of anguish they make when they are killed is torture to hear, also Cassidy after he jumped out of that plane massacred a cow and that’s ok all animals lives matter. If it did not come across vegetarian here you carnivore.

• Sam Ford says:

I understand the anguish that must come to most when people watch the show, which happens to be particularly gruesome in the way of animal cruelty and slaughter. I always get bummed out listening to the cows, the dog thing I saw coming a mile away though I did not expect it to go like it did. The first time I saw the horse die in episode 1 or 2 of walking dead, I stopped watching for months. I think it is fair to say though that all of these animals are either digital or being digitally killed, though not actually hurt.

Calling someone a carnivore is a statement of fact, so I don’t understand its usage. As well, as a vegetarian, you are still butchering living things. Just because plants are not cute and cuddly and make sound when they are hurt, happy, etc. does not make them any less alive than good ol Brewski.

5. Richard says:

I guess I missed something. How do we know it is Cassidy in the room with the dog?

• Jonathan says:

Ideally, we don’t know. But when you combine the sound effects to what Cassidy did in the pilot with the cow, you Get pretty much the consensus it was Cassidy behind the door eating the dog. Plus when tulip says ‘Damn you Jessie.’ It adds to the confirmation.

6. Steve says:

Um could Jesse simply use his power to ask Eugene to come back from hell? I know Eugene has to be able to here him but were not entirely sure where Eugene or Hell is so maybe Eugene could here him. It wouldn’t hurt Jesse to try lol. At the very least couldn’t Jesse just use his power to command the Angels to bring Eugene back. I was shocked he didn’t try using his powers at all with them. This was a weird episode.

• Philip Lincester says:

Eugene actually went to Hell, Michigan. He’ll arrive back home via Greyhound bus in the last episode.

7. mike says:

I think Eugene had some pretty good lines when he got back tonight. Jessie: You dug outta hell. Eugene: Its not that far

Jessie: Whats it like
    Eugene: crowded

8. Adam Leite says:

I spent the whole show waiting for Cassydy to come and kick the preacher’s ass. I actually felt bad that Jesse let him burn and considered not watching the show anymore. That was very disloyal of Jesse.

9. Philip Lincester says:

The control panel man is God

10. Lena says:

I was upset about Brewskie, but I knew from the start that she got him for Cassidy, so that actually made it worse. I kind of wished he was able to tell her to get him a cow. That pulled his intestines back in and basically put his body back together, so it seems like it would help his burns heal a bit quicker. Oh well. At least the dog’s not really dead and Joe’s not really extra crispy (and didn’t kill the dog).

11. Kati Wynn says:

Liked the show until they killed the dog, not okay to kill cats or dogs.

12. susan chitwood barton says:

Do not like the animal cruelty ..cows or dogs..surely story line can be developed without this. One more scene of animal cruelty and I’m done with this series.

• Hypocrisy, thy name is Susan says:

1. Do you understand the difference between reality and fiction?
      2. Human cruelty is ok with you though right?

• Hypocrisy, Thy Real Name is Idiocy says:

1. Even if it is fiction, many sickos out there get ideas or jollies from it.
        2. Humans can mostly defend themselves whereas animals can’t, and who in the world says it is either/or. Can one not be against BOTH?
        /SMDH

13. May says:

Just watched the 1st session of Preacher I love it cannot wait for session 2. Brilliant acting from all the cast