Outlander Finale Season 2 Jamie Claire Mark Diana Gabaldon

Outlander Finale: EP, Author Weigh in on Jamie/Claire's Missing Moment

If you thought Outlander‘s Season 2 finale on Sunday missed the mark — literally — you’re in good company.

Diana Gabaldon, who wrote the series of novels on which the Starz drama is based, posted a lengthy commentary to Facebook on Sunday regarding the finale’s final Claire-Jamie scene. In Dragonfly in Amber, Book 2 of the series, the Frasers’ tough farewell includes Claire asking her husband to cut his initial into her palm; she does so in order to have a constant reminder of their 18th-century love after she returns to the 20th century, and he in turn has Claire mark a “C” into his hand.

But in the episode, Claire instead gives Jamie the dragonfly in amber that Hugh Munro gifted them for their wedding — a narrative detail change Gabaldon says she learned about in advance of the airing.

“I won’t recount the entirety of my comments to [executive producers] Ron [Moore] and Maril [Davis] in the wake of this conversation,” Gabaldon wrote, “but I do recall saying, ‘…there’s a massive emotional distance between, “I love you so passionately that I want you to shed my blood and scar me forever so I can remember your touch,” and “Here, darling, take the ugliest wedding present ever to remember me by for the 45 minutes before you die.”‘”

When TVLine spoke with Moore about the finale, he called the decision not to include the palm-cutting “mostly a time thing” and “a decision we had to make very early,” given that Claire reappears in the 1940s at the very start of the season.

“We had to project ahead about how many things we were going to be able to cover in that last scene. There were goodbyes, they had to make love, there was the ring. There was an awful lot of stuff,” Moore said. “It just felt like one too many things.”

He added: “To us, you’ve got the scar and you’ve got the ring: You don’t really need both as long as she’s got the ring. The ring is a literal, physical manifestation of what happened, so we thought that was enough.”

In her post, Gabaldon also noted the time (and mess) that the mark-making would entail, saying that Moore & Co. “were indubitably right, but STILL.” She went on to post the original text of the sad farewell, “both as a solace to the book fans, and a small gift to the show-only fans” and to mention that she’d made Moore and Davis promise “that they’d speak to the props department about making a new chunk of amber that didn’t look quite so much like a piece off a broken telephone pole transformer.”

Outlander book readers, did you hope to see the Frasers’ marking moment? Hit the comments and let us know!

1. Alichat says:

I understand both points. Diana is right that the amber doesn’t hold as much emotional significance as the scar. But I had wondered logistically how they’d do the scar and have it look realistic. They are small scars. Plus, you then need to make sure that in the future both Sam and Cait have some bit of makeup on their hands to signify the scars. Fans can be meticulous…..I put myself into that category at times…..and would notice when the scars were missing. I think they could have used the scars on their wrists tho and achieved the same meaning that Diana was going for in the book. When Claire’s wrist was cut, she didn’t know it was going to happen, and it was against her will pretty much. This time she could have done it willingly, and it would have fit with the recitation of their vows that they did in the scene.

• Joy Balmer says:

I’m a bit sticky about noticing things in continuity too. :) I’m still wondering how Claire got rid of all the bruises Jack Randall and his aide gave her when they punched and kicked her, then 24 hours later, we see her naked on their wedding night. :) I missed the cutting, but have to agree that the continuity would be hard to keep up.

All in all, tho, after seeing the absolutely exquisite job they’re doing on the adaptation, I’m at the point where I would forgive ANYthing and trust their judgment. The overall series, like the books, will be treasured forever in this family and will be considered heirlooms to hand down. Reading and re-reading the books many many times I’ll have to admit is probably the reason I have never finished writing my own sequel to my own novel. If that’s true, well, then, there it is.

2. July Lark says:

It was an incredibly romantic moment that we missed, for the next 20 years they looked at that scar to remind them of what they had and lost, the ring was put away so Frank couldn’t destroy it and the amber was lost on the battlefield. Seems to me if production could make scars on Jamie’s back, they could figure out a way to make one for each of their fingers.

• Carol Neagle says:

But it takes hours to put those scars on for Jamie. Why should we insist they have every little mark to be accurate 100% of the time. The time and money spent applying those can go to so many more important aspects of the filming.

• Doug Henning says:

Exactly… it’s one thing to write about a scar… quite another for a show with 13 full episodes to spend the time in makeup not this past season but going forward. In my mind, the only scar you really need to worry about is when you have Al Capone… it’s part of his name and on his face!!

• Joy Balmer says:

Actually, the scar in later years wouldn’t be that hard to add with a proper colored pen, as it’s described as being just a hairline scar later on, only visible if you were looking for it.

• i find the initials-in-skin important to future story..& the sex at stones was too quick to be believable. finale was/is a real actors triumph!

• Joy Balmer says:

I don’t remember the ring being put away “so Frank couldn’t destroy it”–in fact, I thought she never took it off ever. That’s why, in the books, she didn’t realize the engraving was on the inside.

• Linda says:

Voyager Book 3 Claire tells Jaime she never took the ring off. The wedding ceremony did include Blood of my Blood and Bone of my Bone. Which was repeated in the finale.

3. Ginger Bate says:

The amber is beautiful as it is. It has natural beauty. No need to give it straight, uniform edges. Lovely touch that it is in the case at the memorial. No need for the C and J cut into their hands. They aren’t kids in a club. The ring is missing something. Maybe one of them will find it: Claire, Brianna, or Roger. Although not likely after 200 years because it would be so far into the ground a metal detector would be needed to find it. It can be replaced when they are back with Jamie. The writers made excellent choices. Beautifully edited.

• Carol Neagle says:

The Ruby was destroyed when Claire went through the stone. It was part of the stones passage ritual. :-)

4. Steveo says:

Wow, what a series of unpleasant comments from the author.

She should be glad that so much thought and energy has been put into turning her erotic DOCTOR WHO fanfiction into a compelling TV series.

I’m certainly glad all that nonsense wasn’t in this episode.

• wgsecretary says:

I’m a big Doctor Who fan. Is this really a fan fiction or do people just assume it because time travel is involved?

• wgsecretary says:

Well, I mean did it start out as a Doctor Who fan fiction. Obviously, it’s more than that now.

• Alichat says:

No, not Dr Who fan fiction. But it was inspired by a character that Diana saw on a Dr Who episode. She was trying to decide what to write about….what period to set her book. She was watching some of The War Games episodes. There was a character named Jamie McCrimmon who was a 18th century Scottish Highlander. He was portrayed by actor Frazer Hines, who appeared in ep 15 of season 1 as the warden of Wentworth Prison. Thus….Jamie Fraser.

• Imzadi says:

Not every book inspired by somehting else is an “erotic fanfiction”. And how are her comments unpleasant?

• sarahoa says:

I agree. I am really tired of the author’s constant criticism of the show for leaving out small details here and there, all while ostensibly praising the adaptation. I feel like she is under-cutting the show and wish she would take the higher road that most other authors take and remain silent.

• Linda says:

Certainly can understand the author having comments. They have invited her to write some episodes. An important fact to mention here is Outlander fans are watching the episodes repeatedly,plus reading the books over again. Therefore the popularity speaks for itself…somebody must be doing something right.

5. ShareI Knoll says:

I have read all of the Outlander series. I was sad to see the markings were omitted and the ending scene comparable to the Gone With the Wind ending. Brianna didn’t have the blue eyes of her father and the height. Roger didn’t have Gillian’s green eyes. I hope the continued series is closer to the series.

• Diane says:

I was disappointed that Brianna wasn’t tall and blue eyed, more that she really didn’t seem to have any chemistry toward Roger. Brianna being such a big girl was mentioned so often as women were most often not tall at all in the past. The actor playing Roger is just fine! I also didn’t care for the portrayal of Lord John as in the books he is really good looking. I was not happy that time wasn’t taken to carve the initials J and C on the respective palms as it was always a reminder of their love. I’m enjoying the series overall and Sam, Cait and many others are just amazing even though some of their physical descriptions don’t match perfectly.

• Linda G says:

There are many differing opinions reference Claire and Jaime’s omitted markings. One person likened it to a child’s game, which seem to fit. Can’t imagine why anyone would express sadness regarding the last scene by comparing it to Gone With the Wind. Gone With the Wind is a classic love story made in 1939 that audiences adore to this very day. Considered by critics, movie fans etc to be the greatest movie of all time.

6. Karen K. Smith says:

Yes I think a bit too much time was spent with Claire revisiting places, particularly Lallybrook. The scene on Culloden Moor where she poured her heart out to Jamie whom she thought was buried there and told him of their daughter Brianna would have sufficed to show that she still missed and loved Jamie though 20 years had passed. The later scenes where she tells Brianna of Jamie also attests to this as well. As a mnay times reader of the Outlander books and reader of Mr. Moore’s posts explaining transitions from book to TV episodes, I believe he and the writer’s missed their mark by omitting the initial cutting between Jamie & Claire.
    Karen K.

• Alichat says:

I rather liked the Lallybroch scene. It made me sad that she and Jamie went through all they did to ensure its safety, and it was in such disrepair. And to hear them both recite the poem made me tear up. I was a little bothered that Claire didn’t cry when on Culloden Moor. After putting all of those memories away, I would think being on the place where so many she knew had died would be a flood of emotion. Especially if she’s ‘talking’ to Jamie.

• Linda G says:

Agree, the Lollybrach scene was a very special touch. Claire did keep making reference to the fact she was not crying but on the other hand your comments are on point…being on Culloden Moor,talking to Jaime was extremely sad. It had been 20 years though, maybe Claire called on a great deal of strength to get through the process.

• Cheryl Knobloch says:

I am interested to see how – several books later, Roger and Brianna own Lallybroch. How does it go from being such a ruin when Claire visits it to being habitable again years later?

• Linda says:

The Lallybroch scene was very moving,Claire wept while sitting on the steps. Hearing her memories repeated aloud was so sad. This was Jaime’s home and was so very special to him. He hoped to make a life their with Claire. Eliminating that scene would have created a void. Most especially when you consider Claire and Jaime reciting the poem while Jaime is standing in the archway. What a tear jerker. Culloden Moor, Claire poured her heart out talking to Jaime,attesting to her love after 20 years,telling him about their daughter. All of these scenes were most important. Just love Lallybroch.

7. Jennifer Stevens says:

I have read the series and forgot about the hand engraving part actually so I don’t think it mattered. Seeing the piece in the museum was effective. I loved the finale!!

8. My says:

I’ve read all the books, but understand the producers choices. If they had done the carvings, I would look for them each time. Still, Diana has a right to comment, and the readers have a right to miss the powerful meaning, loving connection the carvings became. I missed the emotion of it. That said, I loved how Jamie “danced” Claire to the stone.

9. Susan says:

You know when was the last time I tried to live out the fantasy of having matching “secret symbol” palm markings with my “boyfriend” at the time? In the 5th grade, with Troy. Suffice to say, I was a late bloomer emotional maturity-wise. Also? He promptly broke up with me during the next recess. Because even a ten yo recognizes such is pretty far out there on the “healthy, normal” relationship scale.

If they’d included such a detail from the book, I doubt I would be contemplating tuning in for the third season like I am now. So here’s to hoping the television series keeps filtering out the weird, unrealistic, mental illness tinged bits from the OW.

10. Diana and her fans are passionate about the stories as written, which is their right and privilege. Being new to both the series and the books (not new to hearing of them – mom read them years ago) I find the conversations among all collaborators – show creators, author and reading / viewing audiences alike – fascinating. I’ll be reading Outlander, Dragonfly In Amber and Voyager prior to Season 3, so the only access I had to the scene exchanging scars as written thus far was through Diana’s FB post, which I read on Sunday. I do consider her posting the written version a gift, as it provides additional depth and context for the characters as she imagined them for viewers such as myself, who haven’t read the books yet. That having been said, I also understand the logistical constraints the show creators face in their aim to fit in as much as possible without compromising too much of the original story. Frankly, with the magic they can do in film today, I don’t think it would have been too much of a stretch for the characters to quickly pull out a knife, mark each other in kind and hastily wrap their hands in gauze prior to them exchanging “blood of my blood, bone of my bone,” then dance to the stone, but the creators saw different. It would have added some much needed tension and heat to an episode that felt rushed and lacking in cohesion. I’m looking forward to reading the books before Season 3 and hope that Outlander show creators will continue to listen in on conversations such as these to formulate their use of the source material in a manner that best honors the characters and their experience.

• Cheryl Knobloch says:

I am in the middle of my fourth reading of the entire series of books. I love them, never tire of them, and have not re-read books since The Black Stallion series half a century ago. I seriously missed the scar-making at the stones. It could have been done quickly before the “bone of my bone” speech as you said. I have had no other real complaints as to how the books have been adapted, even with the surprises.

11. Shawn says:

The Outlander books have got to be my favorite. As someone that has read all 8 books 3+ times there are certain key factors that the producers should keep. The cutting of the hand has got to be the most important. The books reference this minor gesture throughout the entire series & not to reference it shows that the writers & producers didn’t understand what Diana G. goal was when writing about characters out of time. Not only was it about showing their love for one another but it was also about remembering how that love felt knowing you would never see that person again because there is a 200 year gap. We didn’t need the the scene where Bree meets Gellis it never happened in the book “waste of time”. Also, Roger didn’t meet Gellis until “MOBY” the eighth book. Please figure out a way to add the J & C in the season premiere via flashback.

12. Diane Berg says:

You bet I wanted to see them carve the small letters on each other’s palms! Very disappointed that such epic poiniancy was deemed ‘too long’ for the shoot!! So many quick shots of their palms in the ensuing yeas, reinforcing their undying love are now completely lost! Jamie in the cave, in Ardsmuir, at Helwater etc! Claire seeing it while scrubbing for surgery, rubbing over it while arguing with Frank over yet another affair, waking in middle of night after a Jamie dream, turning on her lamp and caressing the J while tears roll down her cheeks. Go back and reshoot the scene, adding the initial carving back in, when you start shooting season 3 next month Ron Moore, please!!!!

• Linda says:

Thank you for such a beautiful description. I’ve not read all the books and did not realize so much reference was made to the scars. Had felt their memories,blood on blood,bone on bone,ring etc would suffice. However, I know must change my opinion.

13. Dr. M says:

I’ve never read the books, but I can’t say carving initials into your hand sounds romantic.
    It sounds like something horrifying to watch on screen and something that would make Claire a terrible surgeon later in life.

14. As a book lover,you betcha, I wanted desperately to see them scar each other. It’s a relevant part of the rest of the book series. Other segments of the finale could of been edited to fit this in. When you think you’re never going to see your one true love the rest of your life,one would assume,their last hours together would be more passionate. I loved S2 and this was the one part of the book I feel should of been included.

15. Daniela says:

Loved Outlander!!!! Waiting for season 3 ASAP!!!! Pleeeease

16. David says:

Seriously, all I can say is Diana Galblahblah should be happy a network bought rights to produce her erotic nonsense into a high production series. All I ever hear from her is negative bs, like when she said she first thought Sam Heughan was “grotesque” to play Jamie. Wow way to promote the star of your book turned series. There are far worse adaptations out there than Outlander. Sometimes having the book author as a contributor to the adaptation is on point and sometimes they should just sit back. Seriously.

• Zoe says:

DG has been praising Sam Heughan numerous times over the course of two seasons, far more often actually than Ron Moore, who scarcely has anything to say about the male star of his series.
      Speaking of nonsense: fine example would be that cheesball of final scene with angelic chorus, sunshines and Claire’s goofy face.

• Zoe says:

Just wanted to add: personally I didn’t care for initial carving scene in the book, and a couple of other “corny” or over the top moments but I don’t agree with condescending remarks about “erotic nonsence” vs “high production series” – which creates its own corny moments in spades, like above mentioned final scene or Claire and Frank running around the stones and screaming shampoo commercial from last year.

• David says:

“Shampoo Commercial” lol! So true, the show is often all about the hair. His and hers.

I did not say it doesn’t lay on the corny. You are spot on in your description of the final scene with the lights on Claire’s face (do you mean she looked goofy in that shot or in general you don’t like her face?)

I guess I should clarify I haven’t read the books, so is there that much rape & sex in the books? I was associating that to the author and not the show.

I enjoy the historical periods in Scotland to be sure but could we get that with a little less everyone gets raped bs.

• David says:

To clarify: exploiting or sensationalizing rape as a plot device is very disturbing. The frequency here is why I stopped recommending the show to anyone. So I’m just wondering if it’s in the books as much as its been in the show and how Claire and Jamie spontaneously have sex as much as they do on the show. That’s why I called DG’s books erotic nonsense. In addition to the fact the only times I have seen her speak about the show were her being negative about it. Her demeanor from what I have seen, in my opinion has been nasty.

• Zoe says:

Re: Claire’s face. Oh, not at all! Caitriona Balfe is beautiful and talented woman. Yes, I only meant her unblinking “Virgin Mary going straight to Heaven” expression from the last minute or so.
            Diana Gabaldon sometimes puts a foot in her mouth and some of her remarks come across as not particulary pleasant, but she has been giving a lot of praise to the show, its actors and creators, in Sam Heughan’s case – more than the show creator has been giving.
            I agree about “too much rape”, I dont care for it, neither in the books nor the show. But – this is my opinion – the show makes it worse. In the book what happened between Jamie and Randall got probably 4 pages of recollection, while the show created two episodes consisting mostly of torture and rape shown with every detail.

• Beverly McDonald says:

The “Outlander Series” is currently an 8 book collection with world-wide sales over 26 million books. Sorry I don’t know how many languages it is currently printed in, but several.
            It really defies classification, but to me it is above all a love story. A story of a love between two people and their lives together.
            Yes the “rape bs” as you put it is horrific. It is meant to be. Life is not sunshine and roses is it? Is your character shaped by overcoming obstacles in your life or by being given everything with no effort?
            Kind of a silly statement isn’t it? Why would you want to read a story with no plot twists or tension? Outlander is not a ‘Reality TV Show.’ It is an adaptation of a true novel. And I’m very glad to see it done!

• Joy Balmer says:

David, Diana CAN get a bit cranky, mostly when someone asks her an obvious question (like “Is there going to be another book? Well, of course there’s going to be another book–you don’t really think I’d leave 4 major plotlines unresolved, do you? .” But all in all, she is a genius prolific writer, and if you had been in touch with her from the beginning (she’s also a prolific sharer of her own workings and thoughts and generous with her compliments) it would be easier to overlook what appears to be snarkiness in the relative few quotes you’ve seen, compared to the years of connections that we’ve seen as fans from the beginning. She has been absolutely thrilled with what they’ve done (sure, with her own personal reservations, just like we each-our-own have). And she’s mindblown by the casting–her “grotesque” remark was early on and has been explained. She was amazed at how Sam walked on for his audition and before her eyes BECAME Jamie.

17. JAO says:

Wow I’ve read the books several times and don’t remember the initials at all. I’m perfectly fine with the series as is on television and the director’s interpretation. I love Amber so to me it is a meaningful gift.

18. Ash says:

I am glad they didn’t go with the scars. It seems unsanitary and barbaric to me and trying to hard to be passionate. The dragonfly in amber was a nice call back to the title of the second book and felt more sentimental and meaningful to me.

19. Christa says:

I do hope that the production team had good reasons to miss out on such an iconic moment for the show.

I never thought of the carving of the initials to the palms as a teenage thing to do but to show once more Jamie’s and Clair’s dedication to one another and as a variation of the wrist cutting at their wedding and thus a renewal of their wedding vows. But this time it was Clair’s choice. SHE requested it from Jamie and he agreed. Claire wanted something bodily and substantial to remember Jamie for the rest of her life. After the carving of the initials Clair apologizes to Jamie that she carelessly cut his sword-hand and he makes that beautiful speech that he is happy to be able to feel her touch that way in his last fight. A piece of amber and futhermore a gift that Claire received from someone else DOES NOT COMPARE AT ALL! I think we can all agree on that.

I think it takes some major guts to bring a love story onto todays television (and make no mistake: outlander IS first and foremost the love AND life story of Jamie and Claire) that is heartbreakingly romantic, passionate and very much grounded in a strong physical and mental connection observed through the perspective of the female heroin. I think the historical, time traveling and adventurous aspects of the story are much less difficult to adapt.

To show how and why a modern woman, that is ahead of her time in so many ways, can fall for a in many aspects traditional male from another century and vice versa is an interesting theme to explore but may be quite a departure from the way females and relationships are commonly portrait on today’s television. I think it should be worth the try.

I do believe that the romantic and sexual aspects can indeed be tricky in a visual medium and must be handled with special care from everyone involved, the writers, the cinematography, the direction, the editing and especially the actors – to not make them look cheesy or gratuitous. They are undeniable a CHANLLENGE. But that I think IS the challenge when you show up to adapt the outlander book-series.

And I do have to agree with one of the commenters: the last scene in the finale (music/visual/acting) was quite cheesy and I am usually all in for romance… I also disliked the music that they put under the parting dialogues of Claire and Jamie. Would have much preferred it without music to underline the urgency and rawness, like in the scene with Claire at the gravestone.
    They have a tendency to reflexively play the same music theme over and over again when the central couple has a moment together. Just don’t do that! Trust your actors – and if you don’t trust them to pull it off, challenge them…

• Joy Balmer says:

They have explained before that each character has a music theme, so that’s probably why it seems that they play the same music theme over and over–they do.

20. Gail says:

I can’t get enough of the outlander show. I have read all the books and although there are differences I enjoy the series immensely. A love story with an historical backdrop is wonderful. The chemistry between Claire and Jamie is the best I’ve ever seen

21. Carol Horton says:

I felt that the point was made without carving the initials. I balled my eyes out. I was sucked into the story line. Jamie and Claire were so real at the end. They did not have time to carve anything. The war had started. She had to go. I am awaiting next season on the edge of my chair and catching up with my book reading. Lets not be negative. This is a great work STARZ!

22. Ginny says:

The finale was truly brilliant in every way except one. The marking of Claire and Jamie is such an integral part of the passion of their story and a way of bringing their memories to such reality. For the time it took to do the ring and amber they could in stead have chosen to do the marking. Maybe we’ll get lucky tho’ and they will bring it in to season 3 as a flashback to Claire telling the story of it to Brianna.

23. b. lynch black says:

and this is why the books are ALWAYS better.

24. Jeanne says:

Absolutely. The mark was more important than Claire talking to a stone!!!!! Plus the casting of Bree has missed the mark. She is not braw not blue-eyed and not tall enough!!!!!

25. Dian Redalia says:

Oh yes, I kept hoping they would include it, and I was disappointed when they left it out.:(

26. Joanne says:

I watch a lot of TV and I thought the finale was so well done. Jamie and Claire have filled my Saturday Nights for a long time and my husband. He really enjoys this show. Hope Season 3 is just as good. Love who plays Brianna and Roger. Great Casting!! Can’t wait until they meet. Keep up the good work. Jo

27. rowan77 says:

I get the romanticism of the scars, but frankly, if they are the loves of each other’s lives, I don’t’ think they would need to mutilate each other to remember each other. Especially Jamie, who went onto battle with a stinging, bleeding wound on his hand already – especially since he believed he was going to die that day. I like the change of the stupid bug in amber because her seeing it in the museum triggers the memory of that moment, as opposed to a scar she’s had for 20+ years. Just my two cents.

28. Josephine says:

I appreciate the fact that many things needed to be dropped from the book. I hope to see the carving of initials piece in season 3. The dancing was a romantic addition. I thought that Brianna was an engineering student. An important detail when she brings that knowledge when she travels back in time. The last scene with Claire quickly saying that she had to go back was rushed and not in character for Claire.

• Dave Allen says:

I thought that about Bree also, but the moderator at one of the sites I frequent said she subsequently contacted the Outlander production staff – they pointed out that in the books, Bree started out a History major to honour/emulate Frank Randall, but after the “Great Reveal” uncovered so many falsehoods and misperceptions in HER history she switched to Engineering (where numbers and nuts and bolts can be relied on to not change). It’s been a LONG time since I last read books 2 & 3, but I now DO vaguely recall that detail.

29. I too was waiting for Jamie and Claire to carve each other’s initial, it was such heartfelt moment in the book but I love the show and the books so keep up the great job

30. Nh says:

I think the cutting was a beautiful, touching detail in the book but I didn’t miss it in the show. I feel like the show made great choices given the constraints of tv. My only wish would have been for Jamie to look at Claire more through their goodbye love scene. I wanted them to be trying to remember each other while they were desperately grasping at each other. Jamie seemed a little inside his own mind to me….but oh well, still very good.

31. Marcia in Denver says:

While I truly loved the finale, I was so looking forward to the scar-making. The ring and amber were really quite small potatoes in comparison. Love the writers, but, really folks, ROMANCE!!!

32. LaLa says:

I commented on the missing marking scene in the article detailing the finale. As Christa said, to me, that initial in Claire’s palm is a way for her to confirm that it all wasn’t just a dream. Yes, she was pregnant, but at that point, the baby wasn’t guaranteed to survive – Faith was stillborn. She wanted proof that she wasn’t crazy ….
    And, as commented, that Clair often rubs that “J” carved into her palm in later books. For me. it was a huge miss by the producers not to include it.

33. artoftoys says:

Yes I had wondered what happen to this important moment -did not remember the amber to have such a big part again

34. Lisa says:

Yes it was a mistake. They should’ve included the palm marking incident. I carried more emotional weight, then giving a lump of Amber. Claire would not have been carrying that around, all of this time, and her pocket Weak choice

35. Susan says:

Season finale was great. Now, their initials not important in show or books. The rape of Jamie, very important to the story line,( why everyone hates Black Jack Randall and the issue of Frank).Okay. the ending of the finale, It was sunrise, dawn , the sun rays around the stone, goodness it was filmed perfectly. Claire’s face was in the early morning sun . Perfection setting up for next season.

36. Mona says:

Yes I expected to see Jamie and Clair do the “hand cutting”! But all in all, kudos for the entire season! When will season 3 start???

37. Cheryl Knobloch says:

I definitely missed the marking moment and was waiting for it. The two scars are threaded throughout the books. Too bad they decided to leave that out.

38. Liz says:

Jaimie should have been able to keep the Amber end trad of it ending up in a museum. In the future he has the scar to deflect on. Now he has nothing as keepsake of their love.

39. Jane N says:

Clair was born in 1918 in 1968 she’d be 50! Whats with the grey streaked hair already not all women who hit 50 are grey also Roger was a wee bit younger than 7 or 8 when seen last with the plane poss. pushing 5-6 at most still with baby fat fingers curled up in chair with plane. Also when Gellis goes through the stones she was Gillian could have sworn Clair called her Gellis at that point she wouldn’t be that so is that where she got the name in the past hearing it as she left 1968,just a thought. Thought the finale was great but if generations of Murrys had Lallybrook why was it it ruins so bad in 1968 could have shown family plot of those who passed I thought Roger and Bree and there kids lived in Lallybrook at one point in the books……. Just a bit confused!

40. Susan markham says:

The marking moment should have been included. Very annoyed .

41. Z. Stoyanova says:

I did expect the moment of Claire and Jamie marking each other (actually for life – this goes through the whole series of books and is both poignant and important) and not having it is robbing the moment and the story of something vital. So would be omitting the print shop scene – replacing it by a minstrel scene (By Jove, Jamie is tone deaf – not that this is so important for the story, but really I can’t see how the ‘minstrel’ thing could be important or better for the story). I can agree writing a script requires a much different approach -but let the script writers remember that the further they go from the original story the more they risk to fail. The first season, where they tried to keep close to the book, was much better than the second one, and no amount of great Parisian clothing could save the day.

42. katiejo87 says:

Too bad the writers thought the ring and amber was the better choice than the marking of Jamie and Claire. It was NOT. Marking their flesh on their last day as husband and wife was symbolic of the marking on their wedding day, “blood of my blood.” Diana’s written words have withstood 20 plus years; writing new scenes and omitting timeless scenes is not within keeping of the spirit of the books, as was promised by Ron Moore when he announced the shows’ premise. Get better writers and go back to the books!

43. Julie Meadows says:

Oh yes, very disappointing that they did not share their initials in their flesh. I understand that there is a time factor but really, it seems like the writers are more concerned about moving the plot along. The Outlander series is not about revolutionary wars; it is about the marriage of two amazing people, and how their love endures wars.. and hundreds of years.

44. Diane says:

I think that the cutting the hand would be the last thing the couple would want to do to their bodies, they both had been whipped and you’d think another scar would be the last thing they’d do. She did have his ring she should had have a hair Barrett or a piece of jewelry not a chunk of Amber .

45. Karem says:

OMG I didn’t kknow about the scar thing and I have to say that it was a terrible mistake to cut this off from the farewell. Those scars had a significance so deep and so everlasting that they shouldn’t omitted. I think that Ron Moore and his team made a terrible mistake and they’ll have to bear that from now on…..I’m a tv watcher but now I’m pissed off!!! This was posted long ago but I’m mad. There is no excuse to have done that