Fall TV Preview

NCIS: Jennifer Esposito Set as New Series Regular as [Spoiler] Exits

Jennifer Esposito is eyeing a return to the CBS procedural fold via NCIS.

Sources confirm to TVLine that the Blue Bloods alum is joining Season 14 of TV’s most-watched drama in the series-regular role of Special Agent Alexandra “Alex” Quinn. An experienced NCIS agent who left field work and became an instructor at the Law Enforcement Training Center, Quinn is lured by Gibbs (Mark Harmon) back into the field as part of his team, where he will take advantage of her sharp wit, quick mind and immense talent as a federal agent.

Meanwhile, TVLine has confirmed that Sarah Clarke — who boarded the CBS juggernaut last season in the recurring role of Special Agent Tess Monroe — will not be returning.

“We couldn’t be happier to have Jennifer Esposito joining us for Season 14,” said EP Gary Glasberg in a statement. “She embodies everything that we hoped for in the character of Quinn and we can’t wait to have her come be a part of our team.”

Esposito — who most recently co-starred in ABC’s Mistresses — marks NCIS‘ latest significant Season 14 move, following last month’s casting of Wilmer Valderrama (also as a series regular) and this week’s promotion of Duane Henry (Officer Reeves). This comes as NCIS heads into its first season without Michael Weatherly, whose 13-year run on the CBS juggernaut ended with last month’s Season 13 finale.

NCIS kicks off its 14th season on Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 8/7c.

1. Carol C says:

Good to have her back. I still miss her in Blue Bloods.

• Me too!!! I always thought it was a bad move to replace her in blue bloods. I’m so excited she will be joining my favorite show. Her strength of character will make for a lot of fun in the upcoming season(and yes I will miss Weatherly)

• Dianne says:

Yes, it’s good to have her back on the air, and I, too, miss her in Blue Bloods. I might even start watching NCIS!

• lucy & ron says:

She (Jennifer Esposito)is as bad as it can get, we do not watch NCIC anymore because of her

• Jill Davis says:

I totally agree with you Lucy and Ron-Jennifer Esposito has no place on this show. I don’t know if it’s the way her character is written (don’t suspect this is it) It’s something about the way Esposito plays Alex Quinn-I want to quit watching too. She hasn’t the “intelligence and wit” producers were hoping she would bring. She comes across as an opportunist. Please replace her; I used to like this show SO MUCH!

2. Happy for Duane and Jennifer but why exactly do they need three new regulars to replace Michael?

• the cookie queen says:

To offset Michael Waverly’s departure. I’m glad of the changes its about time. The new changes will bring a freshness to the series,there are only so many storylines u,can involved the series regulars.

• JD Bobb says:

Remember SVU, the first year without Meloni? They had to bring in two characters to fill his void.

Frankly, 2 would have been enough. I thought Sarah Clarke had a real chance of staying. I had a feeling the English guy, Duane Henry would also stay. But adding Valderrama really came out of left field. I know we’re going to miss Michael Weatherly’s comedic presence, but I don’t think adding another comedian is going to help.

• Victoria says:

I don’t know why but I keep thinking they will kill one of the 3 newbies off during one of the 3 sweeps. 3 new agents seems like a lot.

• Stacy says:

Probably because they can? These guys are making newbie regular salaries versus Weatherly’s ending pay. They can afford to pay these salaries. It’s an investment in finding the best fit for one of their strongest brands. Math, baby! ;)

• Jill Davis says:

Duane is an excellent addition to the show-durn, he’s good. Jennifer E. brings nothing, unless you need a flatliner.

3. Tony says:

Darn, I really like Sarah Clarke.

4. Amanda says:

I thought she was in Denmark dodging a lawsuit?!

• David S. says:

Only if you get your news from discredited gossip sites. Or Fox “News”.

The whole Denmark story was bogus. She posted live video from her store in Manhattan to prove it. Fox News had picked it up from Page Six and broadcast it without doing proper fact checking.

5. Jennifer says:

I’m good with this. But please, have her drop the NY accent she had in Blue Bloods. It’s annoying. I know it’s real. She’s from Staten Island. And I’m from Brooklyn. It’s still annoying. :)

6. justafan says:

Wow! I wonder what’s going to happen to the rest of the cast? Not a lot of screen time for the long timers.
    Three new full time characters to replace one seems a little extreme or paranoid.

• Znachki says:

It’s possible that the long timers actually want a bit less screen time. They work long days during the season (although not as much as when Bellisario was in charge). Could be they wanted easier work weeks. So, it might not make the fans happy, but if it makes them happy, I’m cool with it.

7. Kevin K says:

The casting of Jennifer Esposito on NCIS is worth a shot and I’m disappointed about Sarah Clarke exiting the show after her recurring stint last season.

8. As long as Fez is still on the show, I won’t be watching.

9. Lore says:

I like her very very much, more than Tessa, maybe because she was Bella’s mother in Twilight i can not take her seriously anymore

10. Donna2712 says:

Not surprised Sarah Clarke didn’t make the cut as the overall response to her was not good. While some liked her, most didn’t but I agree that three new cast members does seem a little much. What are McGee and Bishop going to do? Although Sean Murray used to work a lot less days but stepped up after Cote De Pablo left so maybe he wants to go back to what he used to do.

• mary says:

I don’t know why it is that people think the majority of tv watchers comment on the internet. Majority does not go to any of these sites. Out of all the millions that watch, not even 10,000 comment.

11. Dean says:

After the Blue Bloods fallout I’m surprised she’s back. Now time to wait for the first yahoo to bad mouth the show because like she-who-must-not-be-named Esposito is of hispanic decent.

• SJ says:

Jennifer Esposito is Italian American, so not hispanic.

• Ed Lyke says:

Plus Jen had anxiety issues on Blue Bloods per reports. Good blend per episode 4 all 3 can work 4 the show if any don’t be featured as Tony ‘star’ replacement…

12. SJ says:

I thought she had a “disease” that kept her from working long hours… I guess that got magically cured, although I’m surprised to see her on another CBS show given how she parted ways with Blue Bloods, which, by the way, has been better without her.

• KLS says:

I think she has celiac disease (glutton intolerance). Maybe she was trying to get a handle on it while working the long hours at Blue Bloods. Hopefully she’s ok with it now.

• peterwdawson says:

Plus she opened a bakery dedicated to gluten free foods, so she now has, hopefully, a direct line on food she can eat. Taking care of what you eat while working long hours can be rough. I know plenty of vegans who do production work in Vancouver who’ve had to cheat more than a little just due to what’s available and what’s not, and in their cases their diet was optional. Someone with Celiac eats gluten like a hundred things can happen, some of them pretty darn bad.

• steve franks says:

glutton intolerance? how about GLUTEN. jackass

• Jared Munson says:

The cast is much bigger on NCIS too, she might not need to work as long of hours as she did as Blue Bloods.

13. NCISever says:

But is it a juggernaut? I don’t think you used the word juggernaut enough. Juggernaut. Juggernaut juggernaut juggernaut. There.

14. Jenny says:

They must have done a background check on Tess and discovered she was a mole.

15. NatesMama says:

Is there another descriptive for NCIS aside from “juggernaut”?

16. C Cialella says:

David apparently you favor Fox News as does millions,by chance do you work for MSNBC OR CNN[CLINTON NEWS NETWORK]

17. Milan Jackson says:

It’s good to know she is back. She was always on of my favorites. I didn’t like the part that Sarah Clark played. I don’t know if it was her or the writers. But it wasn’t a fit made in heaven. Jennifer probably will be. Very happy

18. jeremy says:

Loved her on blue bloods, glad to see her back, and on 1 of my favorite shows

19. KLS says:

I am glad to see Jennifer back. I’ve been going through Blue Bloods in syndication and I prefer her episodes over the later ones. I didn’t like Sarah Clarke much. She could pull off the tough, experienced agent fine, but they tried to make her sexy too, which didn’t seem right at all. I am not too sure about Duane Henry. His accent was a little too heavy sometimes and I think they were trying to make him sarcastic, like early-Tony. We’ll see how they all fit.

• Chris T Howell says:

KLS,have you ever watched ION Television on Thursdays,they run Blue Bloods episodes all day ( from 11:00 AM until midnight Eastern Time )

• KLS says:

Yes. ION is where I am catching up. I get a little annoyed that they skip episodes, but I get over it fast. Thanks!

• Jill Davis says:

I watch very little television unless it hits the spot-NCIS has been on the list since the beginning. All transitions over the years have “worked.” Adding Duane Henry works; Writers have developed a character with just enough mystery balanced with insight into his innards and he plays the strengths with the vulnerabilities well. If any casting and writers have gotten it right it’s those of NCIS. First mistake was Esposito. She brings nothing in terms of the strength of other female characters; Viewers are waiting for her to flip her hair during an interrogation. She’s not a Jenny, Kate, Ziva or Ellie. JE has not the ability to come across with an identity that one wants to learn from, emulate, or even understand what other NCIS team members value about her “skills.”

20. Spikenalabama says:

Nooooooooooo! Please say it’s not true! I don’t like this news at all. :-(

• Kvivik says:

Agreed. Not a fan. Was hoping to get back into the show once ‘Tony’ was gone (he was so irritating [character, not actor]) but now I don’t think I will. Hated her acting on Blue Bloods {mind you, I don’t like the woman who replaced her either}.

21. jack says:

Bishop is the next next NCIS agent to get off that is why they need three to replace Micheal. My wife and I both have had enough of NCIS. No longer a fan and will not watch

• Really? says:

Oh, we are all so heartbroken to lose you…said no one ever. So, since you are no longer a fan and aren’t watching, we won’t be seeing any of your pithy comments either–right?

• wayne wright says:

Good shot

• MMD says:

oh touche!

• Cynthia Hestick says:

No loss! Love Jennifer Esposito. Was struggling with symptoms of Celiac Disease which took long painful diagnosis. Read her enlightening book and Facebook Page. Great Bakery for Celiac on line I know I have Celiac disease An Autoimmune disease and GLUTEN is not the only thing to avoid Educate yourself!!!She went through alot of pain and misdiagnosis

22. Cathy Simcox says:

We loved her on Blue Bloods, and were sorry to see her leave this successful show. So, we are really glad to see her resurface. And on Blue Bloods….this is great! Wish her the best of luck in pulling off this great coup! Hard shoes to fill, but she is the one who can do it!

23. Leanne says:

Not to excited over this. Hated her in Mistresses, liked her in Blue Bloods until she claimed discrimination. That did it for me.

• karrie pittsburgh says:

I don’t know, CBS seemingly has a pattern of not treating actresses well. Criminal Minds, CSI, come to mind. Fan favorites were let go. Only the parties involved know the truth, but since they caved on PERSON OF INTEREST, I’m getting annoyed with CBS in general. And I know having an employee with a chronic health problem (Ms. Esposito?) is a challenge, and sometimes not possible to accommodate. Just wish there were more rumors of ‘good manners’ in the handling, instead of what we get.

• peterwdawson says:

I’m sorry her not wanting to die or suffer ongoing health problems due to the simple but surprisingly complicated matter of getting food that won’t screw her up to set offends you.

• mary says:

It wasn’t discrimination in the sense of her being a woman. They didn’t like that she wouldn’t be able to work the long hours. When you find out you have a disease & need to get a handle on it, it kind of takes time. I know of a radio personality that had to take 2 years off. I understand her view as well CBS being a business. But it’s not like she could do anything else about it.

24. Ozarkmamamae says:

This such overkill……..they are ruining the show!!

25. the cookie queen says:

Yeah yes Jennifer will bring it!!I love her,she’s an amazing actress,she’s so sultry. She got a bad deal when she took ill,with her celiac disorder. Good for her,I’m excited for her return,to a dramatic series.

26. John NYC says:

The “sharp wit” item puts the role right in Jennifer Esposito’s wheelhouse.

A good choice.

27. Craig says:

So is Emily Wickersham leaving?

• 'A' says:

Nope. She’s apparently signed on for both season 14 and 15. They’ll have a grand total of 10 series regulars next season (I believe the most they’ve had was 8, so this is definitely a big shift).

• Janice Gattis says:

Oh no, I hoped that they were getting rid of “Bishop”, I can hardly stand to watch her. She is possibly the world’s worst actress. She is so unbelievable as an agent, Jennifer? I love her, she is perfect for the show.

• Leanne says:

I like Bishop. Jennifer time will tell. I liked her on Blue Bloods, just not the Latino race card when she was let go. let a bad taste..before that I really liked her. She was on mistresses too, played a good part

• Donna2712 says:

A) she is Italian not Latino. B) she never used the “race card”. She was let go after the producers were unable to accomodate her work schedule after being diagnosed with Celiacs Disease and having to reset her diet and lifestyle. This is what she was angry about, and understandably.

• Leanne says:

sorry, I used the wrong word. I cannot unread what I read which was she sued because of it and it said she wasn’t accommodated because she wasn’t Caucasian. Whether its true or not I don’t know. I do like her and hope she adds to the cast. Michael Weatherly’s will be missed. I love the show. I also know you cant believe everything you read..maybe 10%

28. peterwdawson says:

Hopefully this means more money for her bakery business, that place is very helpful.

29. Kathie says:

Gluten, not glutton.
    Re: Michael’s departure–i have misgivings about the show without him. Time will tell. I have no interest in his new show. 👎

30. Emily says:

I am fine with the new blood since it’s clear when Michael decided to leave they were going to need to fill big shoes, and I don’t necessarily oppose any of them (although Valderama is an interesting choice.)

My concern is that all these new characters are going to overshadow what should be Mcgee’s season.
    McGee should be having big personal life questions: he and Deliah have been dating awhile and his best friend just became a father, so he should be thinking about marriage and kids.
    Not to mention he is going from a very confortable position as third banana (which he has been since Kate died) to being #2 of 6 AND he and Gibbs are very different people/agents.
    McGee is due for a big season, but with new characters and back stories I’m not sure we are going to get it.

31. Chris says:

Bring back Zeva on NCIS! Michael Weatherly’s show sucks! It’s going to be off the air soon! Then you can bring him back to! Everyone misses both of them.

• Donna2712 says:

Wow, Michael show hasn’t even started yet and you say it sucks. Cote left nearly three years ago and from what she has said she has no intention of returning. Michael has played the same role for thirteen years and now has the opportunity to be the lead in what looks like a good show. Your desire for him to fail and to force people to return to a show they are no longer interested in being on, purely because you want them to, is the definition of selfishness. I understand that they were great characters and are sorely missed, but wishing for someone to fail do you can get your way … I surely hope you said it with younger firmly in cheek otherwise you need take a long hard look at yourself.

• A) Bull hasn’t even been ON the air yet, so how would you know? In fact, the majority of the reviews and articles by people who have actually seen the pilot have been overwhelmingly favourable, and are touting it as the “It” show next season.

B) No, not everyone misses both of them. Many don’t miss one of them at all.

C) It’s Ziva, not Zeva. If you’re going to fangirl, at least try to get the name of the character you’re obsessing over correct.

• Leanne says:

both are CBS show. Probably a payoff on her discrimination suit. Hope she doesn’t ruin a really good show. We shall see. Oh, also I did like her on Blue Bloods. I just don’t go the discrimination thing. She didn’t show up. Claims she was ill. Well if you are sick 85% of the time, its time to quit

32. Nellie Dyer says:

Her health could not handle the schedule of Blue Bloods but she thinks it will be OK for NCIS, a show that is incredibly more physical.

• Dorothy Zydek says:

On Blue Bloods she was on every episode for extended periods of time, ie the partner of the main characters who has a lot of screen time. Don’t think NCIS will be has rigorous.

• mary says:

She was diagnosed while on the show. If you know someone with the disease, it’s not easy to live with. It takes a lot to get a grip on it. Which she now has.

33. Cassie says:

I’m just glad she’s working again. Too often, actresses (and women in general) that claim discrimination are blacklisted. It does surprise me that she’s going back to CBS after the way they treated her, but more power to her. I look forward to it.

PS- C’mon TVLine, all of the stock photos of Jennifer Esposito and you pick that one? She takes better photos than that. :)

34. Sandy Ward says:

please get rid of Tony, he spoils the show

35. MMD says:

I’m so glad that she is joining NCIS and I think she will totally bring it. I thought the treatment she received when first diagnosed on Blue Bloods was absolutely shameful. My good friend suffers from celiac disease and now that he has a handle on it he is absolutely fine as I’m sure she is.

Hopefully these new additions will limit the Wilmer Valderrama screen time as I’m not a fan but hopefully he will surprise me.

36. Laura C says:

I would have been MUCH happier if she were returning to Blue Bloods. Jackie was the BEST partner for Danny. I don’t watch NCIS but I may tune in to see her. I don’t care for shows like Mistresses so I didn’t watch her in that. Jennifer would be a great addition to ANY show- she got screwed by CBS on her Blue Bloods exit deal. I love seeing her on the old eps on ION & WGN Best to Jennifer on her NEW role. .

37. Janie Noles says:

I am so excited to see Jennifer back, I loved her on Blue Bloods, She is great. They should have never fired her. I stopped watching NCIS but will start watching again only because of her, I love her

38. Janie Noles says:

I am so excited I loved her on Blue Bloods, I stopped watching NCIS but will start watching it again because of Jennifer, she will do a fantastic job.

39. Sue Isgur says:

So…with all the NCIS scoop, I have not seen anything about “Bishop”. Is she returning? Did I miss something?

40. Craig says:

It said different contract cycles for Wickersham and Dietzen. Did they sign up for Seasons 14 and 15 earlier?

41. Leanne says:

she filed a descrination suit on Blue Bloods..bottom line guess she thot she wasn’t getting enough screen time..didn’t like her in mistresses tho I DID like her in blue bloods until I heard the discrimination thing. I hate that. after all she isn’t a TOM SELECT

42. Susan says:

She’ll be a great addition to the show!

43. jj says:

Bishop should be the one not returning.

44. Annie says:

It wil be great to have her on NCIS! I think she wil be a fine addition!!! Welcome Jennifer!

45. grazelled says:

Wow this will sure be a very different NCIS returning this fall. I look forward to see how it all will play out with these new cast/team members. Really hoping the show keeps the spirit of NCIS the same with fresh new ideas.

46. Frank Carmack says:

Ive watched 2 runs of NCIS season 2 on Italian tv channel, FOX CRIME. Each time the last episode has been eliminated. Any clues out there as to why that episode has been eliminated for their run of the show?

• karrie pittsburgh says:

Wow, that’s frustrating. Due South on TNT did that in the USA with one of their episodes. Didn’t get to see it until at least the 4th repeat run.
      NCIS SPOILER ALERT-Episode: Twilight. It is the one where Kate is shot and killed by Ari. I just looked, there are video clips online, but might be blocked in Italy. I haven’t seen the episode in awhile, I don’t remember the rest of it very well (pre-Heimer’s).

47. Jack E says:

I am so happy for Michael Weatherly but it’s a loss and adding 2 or more is an attempt to Weatherly the storm:(.
    I for one think Esposito will be fun to watch. I will be interested in how They build each character. Jennifer is doing awesome and I for one am happy for her and all the others…..Bring It NCIS:). Sincerely a BIG FAN:)

48. Judy DiGabriele says:

Yeah! I love her…I was sad when she left Blue Bloods…

49. Cathy says:

I am so excited to see Jennifer on NCIS! I really liked her as Danny’s partner on Blue Bloods, and I was sorry when she left the show. Yea!

50. Valerie says:

Happy that jennifer is back on prime time. I quit watching NCIS when Cote left, I’ll watch it again with Jennifers arrival.