CW/Netflix Deal

CW Series' Full Seasons to Stream on Netflix Eight Days After Their Finales

Next year, you’ll be able to binge-watch the whole season of Arrow just over a week after the premiere of its finale.

In sealing with The CW a new multi-year content licensing deal, Netflix hasn’t just secured the continued exclusive right to stream previous seasons of the network’s fare, it’s made provisions to stream full seasons of CW series starting only eight days after each of their finales air.

The new agreement includes not only The CW’s current lineup but also any series produced over the course of the pact, which starts with the recently-wrapped 2015-16 broadcast season. In other words, the contract covers freshman offerings Frequency, No Tomorrow and Riverdale, as well as the newly inherited Supergirl.

The eight-days-after-finale clause kicks in with the 2016-17 broadcast season. Also of note: Per recent reports, CWTV.com will now be only place to catch free in-season episodes of CW programs. (Adios, Hulu.)

“Since the initial landmark deal in 2011, The CW’s programming has enjoyed… increased exposure through Netflix,” said network president Mark Pedowitz in a statement. “The CW has positioned itself for the future by [remaining] rooted in broadcast while fully embracing the digital and streaming habits of the viewers.”

What do you think? Are you psyched that you’ll be able to binge CW shows sooner? Hit the comments!

1. As awesome as this is, the real question is how kong I have to wait to re-watch S4. I’ve been dying to watch the amazing rebound season again after the blech that was S3.

2. LADY_in_MD says:

I usually watch Jane the Virgin on Hulu the next day as the CWTV app is terrible will I be able to still watch new episodes on demand? I have FIOS I did that sometimes last season when Hulu was having glitches any insight would be appreciated thank you 😀

3. JJ says:

So are all the seasons of The CW shows that just finished this past May now available on Netflix?? That’s the only thing I’m confused about.

• Vince says:

JTV & CEG current seasons are already there. Not sure about the WB-produced shows

• The most recent seasons of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Jane the Virgin are on, but not The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, TVD, Originals, Supernatural, etc.

The week-after thing specifically begins with the 2016 – 2017 season, but JtV and CEx-G were only just added a couple of days ago so it’s conceivable that the others could be coming shortly.

4. JJ says:

I do think this deal will be bad for the CW shows’ live ratings. Many people will stop watching live and opt to wait for the season to finish and just binge watch the shows without commercials.

• Vince says:

Only the Superhero shows &SPN are doing ok. The rest are rating duds. Those duds won’t make much revenue with just 1st airing. This is where Netflix money comes in.

• ScottJ says:

I can see that happening with 13 episode shows, but people are not going to wait 9 months to watch the others.

• Nick Hogan says:

It’s a double edged sword. People will do that, but it will be easier for new audiences to catch up, who will then watch the seasons live the following year. That’s how it worked for Breaking Bad.

• Angela says:

Not really, it’s no different than it being on hulu the next day.

• wgsecretary says:

In what world is having to wait months to see the whole season on Netflix the same as it being on Hulu the next day? Hulu is able to be streamed to TVs. The CWTV app is not. This is a huge and annoying difference. I’m not going to sit at my laptop and watch hours of tv each week.

• Stephen says:

Get a chromecast. You can get the previous model for $20 or less. You can watch pretty much anything on your tv from your laptop/phone.

• wgsecretary says:

How is the picture for something like the CW app. The app itself isn’t that great. I’ve found when I project from my laptop to my TV, which I can do with my current set up, the quality of the CW app on my tv is very crummy. The video is often out of sync with the audio. I tried that when I heard about the ending of the Hulu deal and it does not look like a fun way to watch my shows. Have you used the chromecast to watch things from the CW app? At any rate, it’s annoying that they’re taking away a viewing option for cord cutters and claiming to be fully embracing the digital habits of their viewers. They are wrong about that.

• I agree,it makes me worry Bout Jane,the ratings aren’t great and I’d hate for it to get cancelled,I believe Supernatural,The Flash and Arrow are their most watched shows.

• SAustin says:

Commercial television is on its way out. Streaming is the way to go.

5. THIS IS AWESOME FOR THE “SUPERNATURAL” FANDOM! I am so pumped about this, I am ALMOST ready to forgive CW for moving, then completely ignoring and not including in their TV liners, the only show they have that has hit 12 seasons, won different various awards for its actors, show and writing, and is the longest consecutively running televised sci-fi show in the world, (after Supernatural broke Smallvilles record in 2015).

• Tammy says:

Totally agree with you.

• wgsecretary says:

How is this awesome for the Supernatural fandom? It was already available on Netflix. It’s just going to have new seasons a couple of months sooner. That is literally all this does for Netflix. This new deal is taking away a viewing option on Hulu. You’re acting like they’ve given Supernatural some sort of special treatment. This is true for all of their shows. For those of us without cable and who like to actually watch the season as it airs, Hulu was perfect. Now, we can either wait until summer to watch the entire seasons, or we can use the very crappy app on the CW website. We can’t even use the crappy app on our TVs. So, again, how is this great for the Supernatural fandom? This fan, who has watched since day one, just lost a way to watch the show.

• Vince says:

Hulu was greedy and wanted all episodes. Netlix deal was more lucrative for CW. This is still a business and not a charity.

• wgsecretary says:

I believe that the CW wanted a large increase in the fee but didn’t want to give Hulu anything else in return for the larger fee. They wanted to also take the ability to have their shows be part of the no commercial Hulu plan. Hulu didn’t want to pay the larger fee but essentially lose out and end up with less than they have now. I have to say I agree with them on that front. The CW didn’t want to play ball with them. I understand that the Netflix deal was lucrative. It irks me that they had to be exclusive with Netflix to get it.

• Asia says:

Agree this is not good. I was able to watch it on hulu, only reason u sign up for hulu and the cw app SUCKS.

• Heather says:

So agree with you. I like the fact they had it 1-11 i wish hulu has 12 becausethen we woukd be able to wwatch the newer seasons a day after. I don’t understand why both companies have the same shows. I have seen it before. I have netflix and hulu. Netflix had the older seasons and hulu had the more recent ones. They should have kept it that way.

6. e. says:

Yeah, but this may well mean losing them on Hulu which is a pretty crappy trade off.

• Brandi says:

That’s where I watch all my CW shows on Hulu. I don’t have cable or satellite. This bums me out that I’ll have to wait ’til the end of the season to watch the shows.

• Toss off says:

Or you can be a criminal and watch them on a free-streaming site like I do. If Hillary can download classified e-mails to her personal server with zero consequences, then I can watch free-streaming sites. Hey at least I’m not file-sharing.

• wgsecretary says:

That’s great logic…until you get some nasty virus that ruins your computer.

• Kari says:

I agree with you! I cut the cable to save money, but even on Hulu, (and the CW website!) they only have half of the last season or less! We are supposed to be punished for not giving into cable prices anymore?! This is my favorite show! It’s going to totally bite to have to wait till next May to watch season 12! Yeah it’ll be nice to marathon it, but the wait will be torture😩.

• wgsecretary says:

I literally just found this article on The CW page about how their app will now be available through streaming devices like Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, and others. So, that’s good news! It’s annoying though that I’ll have to watch commercials. I have the no commercials plan on Hulu.

• I watch on Hulu too which is great,I’m not willing to use the CW’s crappy app and by the time the seasons are out on Netflix I may have already lost interest,I watch a lot of CW shows,but these is gonna affect their ratings.

• Nellie says:

This won’t affect ratings at all — those don’t take Hulu watchers into account.

Hulu wanted stacking rights (the right to stream every episode of a season instead of just five). I don’t think the Netflix deal was really the sticking point, at the end of the day.

• wgsecretary says:

I read elsewhere that CW wanted a much larger fee for streaming rights and that’s why Hulu wanted the whole season instead of 5 episodes. Also, CW wanted to take their shows out of the no commercials Hulu plan. So, basically, the CW wanted a whole lot more money but wanted to take away the ability for users to have those shows commercial free and give nothing in return for the extra fee. So, they just wanted more money and to take away a viewer option. Hulu thought that was a bad deal. So, I’m blaming it on The CW for being stingy.

• MSQueen15 says:

THIS! I think this stinks like rotten roadkill. I look forward to watching them on Hulu each day after they air so this is the worst news I’ve seen all day. Seriously.

• wgsecretary says:

It is not an issue of it “may… mean.” It’s literally being lost from Hulu. It’s an awful trade off.

• Jeffrey Deering says:

Agreed. I watch a bunch of CW shows on Hulu (The Flash, Arrow, was going to watch Supergirl). With them not being shown on Hulu anymore and having to wait until next May to watch these shows there are only two options opt not to watch them or the other option would be pirating, but either way CW loses the viewer revenue. Don’t see how this benefits CW’s long term success.

• wgsecretary says:

I don’t either. The goal to force people to watch through their outlet for the most part is just ridiculous. My loyalty will stay with Supernatural, my number one CW show. But, I can’t commit to trying to watch all of my shows on a weekly basis. I usually watch Flash, Arrow, LoT, Supergirl (I was a fan when it was on CBS), Vampire Diaries, and The Originals. Some of their new shows look good too. But, I’m not messing with an app for that many shows because there is no way I can catch every episode live. I’ll wait for the others on Netflix, but at that point…I may not care anymore.

• Since these networks are owned by cable companies, it seems the goal is to make it cumbersome so it would AGAIN make more sense to go back to CABLE. Imagine trying to watch FOX, CW, NBC etc… on their own respective apps?… which are, by the way, limited to just a few available episodes at a time… then if you want to UNLOCK episodes, you either pay a separate subscription OR sign up through your CABLE company to activate online streaming. Us fans and consumers have a lot of power than we think we have. If only we can all band together and boycott watching for months… but then again we are unfortunately “slaves” of our own devices.

• wgsecretary says:

I agree. That is probably part of their plan. Right now The CW does not make you log in with a cable company to watch any of their content. I hope it stays that way. If it doesn’t, then I’ll probably just be done with them. The CW is literally the only network that has never annoyed me for one reason or another…until now. I hope a lot of people feel that way. Maybe The CW will see something negative out of this and rethink their deal when the Netflix deal expires. But, by then, it will be several years from now. You know, I think the CBS All Access app is sort of stupid. I don’t want to pay another service for essentially one show. All I watch on CBS is The Big Bang Theory. But, if the CW is so worried about getting the best deal, I have to say I would pay for their App/streaming service if they made it like an add on to something like Hulu or of they made it a streaming channel on things like Roku or Amazon Fire sticks. I’d pay a small fee for that because I watch almost every show. I wouldn’t have been thrilled with that, but it would have been better than this nonsense. Well, that’s my opinion at least. But, that can’t happen for now anyway because the Netflix deal is exclusive for streaming, with the exception of the CW app.

7. Phil says:

I guess CW really is okay with their low overnight ratings, because this will move will only move more eyeballs to off-season viewing.
    VERY disappointed that next-day viewing is being relegated to CW’s really poor user experience video app. I want to watch Crazy-Ex and this will REALLY test that desire. Jane will just have to wait til summer.
    TVLINE – at your next opportunity, can you please ask the CW execs what their plan is to improve their now-only streaming platform for fans of their shows without TV?

• Vince says:

CW app

• Dysturbed says:

The money they’ll make from Netflix will help make up for any lost ad revenue that results from the lower ratings.

• Sumit says:

Every year more and more people are moving away from appointment viewing to streaming on your own time viewing. Trying to hang on to the appointment viewers is a bad move. CW is showing common sense by doing this. Losing a bunch of appointment viewers isn’t a big deal because that is happening anyway. A 1.5 rating nowadays is a big success. CW is ensuring that they get value from their shows by inking a deal with Netflix. That’s where the future of TV is.

8. Sara says:

I’m thrilled about the summer binging potential (still waiting for S2 of iZombie on Netflix!) but if they’re taking it off Hulu, that’s a really bummer. I watch most of my current shows on there.

9. Linda says:

So the shows won’t be on Xfinity On Demand anymore either? If you miss it live, the only thing to do now is watch it on the CWTV.com/CW app or wait until the season is over with?

10. Et al says:

I used Hulu to watch CW shows since their own streaming is garbage, they don’t have a roku/fire app, my local channel doesn’t even broadcast in HD (seriously) and they don’t have an on demand option of their own (at least in my market). I guess I’ll just start pretending CW shows are Netflix shows and binge them when they get released next year.

11. Kate says:

I’m excited about this because as much as I have ever wanted to watch it, I have never been able to catch up with Jane the Virgin. While I am knee deep in Shameless right now, its next on my list of using my Netflix subscription while putting a little more distance between my last watch of Sense8 and my next one while waiting for season 2. I’ve been actually really good, I don’t think I have watched it in 2016 yet.

12. Jimmy says:

This is nice and all, but I’m going to miss the ability to watch CW shows the next day on Hulu.

13. Nina says:

This is definitely a minus. I pay for the commercial free Hulu and watch all the CW shows that way. The CW app is really terrible. Guess I’ll have to keep my cable so I can dvr them.

14. DJ says:

Is this only for American Netflix or will this apply to Canadian Netflix as well??

15. Greg says:

In Canada you can watch it the next day on CTV’s site, which is a much smoother experience than CW’s.

16. Caroline says:

I don’t believe this deal precludes VOD from cable providers like Comcast and Verizon. They will still be available day after. This is a streaming online deal exclusive.

• Dysturbed says:

Since it says “CWTV.com will now be only place” as opposed to “the only online place”, I’m not sure if what you said is the case or not. At the same time though they said adios Hulu, but didn’t continue with that and include on demand. Hopefully they will clarify.

17. Viv says:

God this sucks! I’m getting really sick and tired of production companies trying to forcibly absorb me into their crappy C- shows. I have no interest in you or your stuttering, freezing, ad infested broadcast websites.

Why are all TV websites from 1982? And why do they care less about fixing them?

Call Rupert an evil minion from hell all you want but that old man knows quality streaming & subtle advertising. They’ll have to take my ala carte streaming from my cold dead hands. Capiche? (Jerks…)

18. Gen says:

I am curious about ‘The 100′ which has next day viewing on Netflix. Will this continue or will we have to wait ’til the season is over?

19. Geo says:

Yeah, this stinks. Hulu was great, because if something happened like you accidentally missed a CW show, had it pre-empted by a ballgame (which my local CW outlet annoyingly does quite often during part of the year), had a DVR problem or anything else, you could quickly watch it the next day. My local CW outlet is terrible– they have sound and picture problems all the time, and they frequently don’t update their OnDemand. But unless I plan to avoid sites like TVline like the plague, which I don’t, I’m not waiting until 8 days after the full season has aired to watch the season. Everything will be spoiled, even just seeing the headlines on sites like this, because entertainment sites only wait a few days until major spoilers aren’t kept out of the headlines anymore. I hate this deal.

20. Yay!! This way I’ll finally be able to catch up on Jane the Virgin!

21. B says:

I’m happy about this, but only because we don’t have cable or satellite anymore, so I have to either use an app or binge-watch anyway.

22. Luffy says:

This infuriates me. Hopefully they use the money from this to fix their garbage app. Looked on Amazon to see how much a season is and its 50.00. Our CW stations signal sucks. Looks like I’ll be sticking to Marvel (Thank you ABC for not flaking) and anime. I get a feeling this is because they are taking over Supergirl and need all the cash they can. Still mad.

23. Toss off says:

I might give a damn except I watch everything on free streaming sites. These people have taken enough of my money over the years. As long as I have access to free stream sites I will use them.

24. Ken says:

That stinks. I kept up with the shows on Hulu.

25. Deion says:

Wow, this removes at least 4 shows from Hulu that I watch weekly. I’ll have to see if ABC and Fox shows will be worth the investment now.

26. Julie says:

I wouldn’t be nearly as upset if their CW app was available on either my Apple TV or via my BluRay, but to have to watch on my smaller laptop or iPad screen because I don’t have cable anymore or to wait until the season is over to actually be able to watch any CW shows on my TV may mean I’m done. As much as they are supposedly “fully embracing the digital and streaming habits of their viewers” taking away our ability to stream their shows on an actual TV screen seems to go against that!

• wgsecretary says:

Amen! They are not embracing the habits of viewers. Yes, viewers binge watch shows. But, they don’t usually wait until seasons are over! It’s a binge of shows that come out all at once on sites like Netflix or binging a season of a show you’ve already seen before the new season comes out. I agree that I would not be annoyed if their app didn’t suck or if I could stream it through my Roku. But, this is awful.

• genny1982 says:

why not get a HDMI cable to link your laptop to your TV?

• wgsecretary says:

Because I don’t want to. It’s inconvenient. I used to do that before I got a smart tv. But, I often work while watching tv and I can’t do that if my laptop is attached to my tv. Plus, it’s not always the best quality, especially considering the quality of the CW app.

27. rahajicho says:

If The CW improves the viewing experiences, which are currently terrible, on its apps and website, then everything will be fine.

28. I want some Legends of Tomorrow love

29. Emily says:

I hope this mean we will actually be getting on Netflix Canada as we only have a few cw shows currently available to watch.

30. This sucks… Hulu had the episodes the day after airing, now you have to wait until one week after the finale to watch any episodes on Netflix. This is good, how?

31. Ally Oop says:

This makes sense. In Canada, Netflix owns the rights to The 100, Riverdale, Frequency and No Tomorrow.

32. Is this deal only for US and Canada audiences or also for global viewers?

33. Sara says:

This is not good news for people who have ditched their cable and watch CW shows the next day on Hulu. With most networks now you cannot really watch their shows from their site…they make you ‘log in’ to your cable provider. A big fat conspiracy to try and force people to buy cable subscriptions. This stinks in my opinion.

34. I’ve been upset about this since it was first rumored. Because of Hulu, I went from painfully watching one CW show on the CW site (Nikita) to watching nine of their shows! And now, simply because Hulu listens to what their customers want (stacking rights) and tries to negotiate for it, the CW stupidly is giving up a large portion of their in-season viewers who will not use the app.

Also, if their app is anything like their site was, there will be a lot of promos for their other shows. Now they may be nice like CBS on-demand shows and only air general promos about their others shows (very very boring and repetitive but no spoilers). Or they may be like live TV and air specific promos for new episodes – which in that case viewers will have to take an all or nothing approach to the CW shows they watch in-season if they want to avoid being spoiled. For example, out of the nine CW shows I watch, I most enjoy Jane the Virgin and iZombie, so I would be more likely to suffer through the app to watch them day after air, and let the other shows go until they are on Netflix. But if while watching those two shows, I am spoiled on Arrow, The Flash, The Originals, etc. of course I won’t want to watch even just those two shows!

I expect pirating to skyrocket for CW shows.

35. Gustavo Villafuerte says:

Can we get smallville by eny chance

36. Dalton Van says:

So when does this take affect?

37. dragons3 says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I have no problem with Netflix getting the full season 8 days after the finale, but I rely on Hulu to watch the weekly episodes. My local cable company doesn’t carry a CW channel!! I don’t want to have to wait until May or June to watch “Supernatural” or “Arrow” or any other CW show I enjoy!

38. Rob says:

well…am disappointed as I was looking forward to Supergirl coming to the CW so I could watch it next day on HULU…but instead seems I will have to get all mt CW from Dailymotion now…

39. ang923 says:

Still trying to figure out when/where I can watch season eleven of Supernatural before season 12 premieres on Oct. 13th….wish it’d just start being on tnt…we still watch the syndication on tnt each morning that we’re home during the week. Matter of fact, we started watching initially on tnt in 2011, started in season 4, then stopped till season 1 episode 1, then started watching season 7 that fall. Until season 11 we had never missed an episode, and I saw the last 4 episodes of the season and maybe 3 or 4 throughout the season, but I’d like to see the entire thing before the new season…

40. Um..Hulu aired the shows the next day So how is this better ???

41. Cece P says:

I’m stoked about this change but I wish it came sooner. As of now Supernatural season 11 is not on Netflix:(
    However, I have cancelled my Hulu account, so I’m counting on this change!

42. Rebecca Palmer says:

I think it stupid

43. Lewis M Fuller says:

No this sucks I like being up to date with my shows (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow) with out the need for cable I also find Netflix annoying and actually preferred Hulu. Now I have no reason to be a member of Hulu, and probably won’t reup my Netflix, I’ll be calling Comcast for a box.

44. Tammie Harvison says:

I could not be happier, C W has so many shows that i love and completely loyal to. It all started with Supernatural and that will always be my favorite but i have to come to love Arrow, Flash the Vampire diaries and now Supergirl. Can’t wait to watch all these shows over and over again. Thank you C W and Netflix

45. William says:

Is Smallville part of this deal?

46. Sue McGee says:

NO. I’m freaking PISSED. CW shows are one of the main reasons we got Hulu to begin with!! Now they go to Netflix and we can’t watch for an entire season! Dude….we don’t NEED to binge watch. We are already caught up from last season!!!

47. Heather says:

Man, that sucks it’s all going to netflix. I like netflix but for certain shows liked hulu because we were able to watch some shows the next day. I was hoping i could do that for supernatural. I am almost caught up.