Exclusive
Nashville Season 5

Nashville Update: Connie Britton, Hayden Panettiere, Plus 7 Others Set to Return for Season 5 on CMT

Who’s ready for the Red Lips White Lies Tour, Round 2?

Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere are both poised to return to the CMT-bound Nashville in Season 5, TVLine has learned exclusively. Also expected back for the 22-episode season are co-stars Charles Esten, Sam Palladio, Jonathan Jackson, Clare Bowen, Lennon Stella, Maisy Stella and Chris Carmack.  A Lionsgate rep declined to comment for this story.

As we reported last week, Will Chase and Aubrey Peeples, who played Luke and Layla, respectively, will not be back (at least not as series regulars).

ABC cancelled Nashville in May, but the drama was revived by the cable network CMT soon after. CMT head of development Jayson Dinsmore recently said that “our expectation and our hope is that [the entire cast] will participate in this next cycle.”

News of Panettiere’s return comes after a rocky year for the actress, who left the series in the middle of Season 4 to undergo treatment for postpartum depression. She returned in January to shoot the final nine episodes, before resuming treatment shortly after production wrapped.

In the cancelled series’ ABC swan song on May 25, the fate of Panettiere’s Juliette was left literally up in the air as the plane carrying the starlet lost radio contact. As TVLine reported, an alternate ending showing Juliette alive, well and reunited with estranged hubby Avery (Jackson) at the airport was shot but ultimately discarded.

When the country-music drama debuts on CMT, it will do so under Marshall Herskovitz and Ed Zwick (thirtysomething), who replace Dee Johnson in the role of showrunner.

1. Andrew Hass says:

I’m happy that all those people are coming back for season 5 of Nashville.Plus they could be interested in seeing what the the new showrunners do next season with their characters.

2. Bwhit says:

Yes!!!! The core characters I care about are going to be there…. Bless you CMT.

3. Jake L. says:

Glad, but not terribly surprised, to hear these cast members are staying. Storywise, Will and Juliette are still on Luke’s label. It will be interesting to see if the writers attempt to keep them there even without Luke being present, or perhaps his label will go belly-up and they will just go to Rayna.

• Gail says:

They could say Luke decided to start a new life with his ex-wife and decided to sell the label to Juliette. Then she and Rayna could be competing singers and record label execs .

4. Al says:

Yay more more maddie …. Said nobody

• mc says:

Hahaha come on leave them kids be. Maybe this season is their chance to be redeemed. I hate their Season 4 plotline as much as the next fan but they can be turned around. And they’re talented.

• Lorna wolbert says:

I would rather the talented young ladies, whom I do adore, be reduced to recurring than having to lose Will Chase. The girls weren’t in every episode. Loved Luke.

• kelli1968 says:

Haha!!!!

• Ben says:

I have been incredibly frustrated with the TVLine coverage of Maddie. The Stella sisters are, for me, the best musicians on the show – I would probably not watch if Maddie was dropped. So… not nobody.

Do I want her drama gone? Yes. But not her. It’s not the actresses fault that season 4 was crap.

5. A. D. says:

Damn…there goes my dreams of recasting her kids

6. Carol C says:

Woo hoo!

7. So glad to hear this,I like all these characters

8. Imagecrafters says:

Glad to hear that! Though I really wish they kept Will Chase.

• MichelleR says:

Yeah, have to admit that his being gone dampens my enthusiasm a little. Very happy the show is coming back, but I liked Luke Wheeler.

9. Red lips white lies tour round 2 – yes please! Really miss Rayna & Juliette scenes. Super happy about this – the cast of Nashville is so talented, I can’t wait to see what these new writers come up with. So far, seems like ABC cancelling Nashville was the best thing that could happen to it to help the show reach it’s full potential – with CMT being so supportive, getting rid of Layla & Luke to give the core cast longer scenes (and no more randos coming in hopefully) and Callie Khouri saying the new writers are on the same page as her to make it “less soapy” .

10. Kate says:

The problem with Maddie has never been the acting/performance, its been the ridiculous story-lines they’ve written for her. This is the best opportunity the show will have to got back to the drawing board and fix this character, make her watchable again.

11. Magicsmom says:

Totally perfect! I love all of them!!! Soooo happy for Hayden…I know she has a big following! I ADORE Connie so this is wonderful she is coming back! I am “in love” with Jonathan, so he is the frosting on the cake. Haha! But I do love ALL the cast coming back and thank you sooooo very much, CMT, for making this show your own! Best TV news in … Ever! ❤️❤️❤️

12. StaciH says:

So happy! Great to see so many cast members back and with the new producers and Jayson Dinsmore as exec at CMT, this will turn out to better than the last seasons train wreck.

13. Desiree says:

Yay!!! Doing a happy dance right now! I am so happy that CMT picked up this show, and that all of my favorite characters will be back. I hope the next season goes back to its roots by focusing on the music and the core characters that made the series so good in the beginning.

14. Stephen says:

I know I’m going to get some flack for this, but I’m pleasantly surprised that Chris is coming back. I just had a horrible feeling that CMT would write him out of the show. Hopefully Kevin will be back as well and we’ll get to see them get married in the season finale next year.

15. kar says:

Luke was better than 80% of the characters especally Rayna&Deacon

16. mike says:

that is great only one question remain where will they film Nashville will it be in Nashville or Vancouver or somewhere else?

• Tonya says:

Since CMT is based in Nashville and the city along with the state of Tennessee and Ryman Hospitality Group gave some much money to make season five happen I think it’s a safe bet that filming will stay in Nashville.

• Jim says:

The show was saved specifically because it’s filmed in Nashville.

17. But what about the most important actor on the show…..Baby Cadence? Are Nora and Andi coming back? LOL

18. Kim smith says:

We like to know when it will start. This was wonderful show thanks

19. Kevin Garren says:

That’s good because the show only needs those 9 characters to come back, the rest are dead weight. Thank God Layla won’t be back, I have nothing against the actor but Layla was one of the worst characters on TV.. and Luke Wheeler seemed to become a main character for no reason, his storylines weren’t good, he was only there for the Rayna relationship and that ended so he serves no purpose anymore. With Will and Juliet signed to Luke’s label though, I wonder how they’ll explain him not being around anymore. Just take meetings off camera? lol

• Ben says:

Well, they’ve never been regulars, but I hope we will still be getting Bucky, Glen and Emily, too!

• Boiler says:

Totally agree. I also wouldn’t mind Zoey occasionally as she has a great voice

• jakis says:

I just saw the actor who played Bucky in a play. He was AMAZING! I hope he is back and gets more to do, because the man can seriously act and he hasn’t had much chance to show that on Nashville.

20. grazelled says:

Great news! Looking forward to the new season now with all the major cast coming back and excited to see what the direction the new show runners will take the Nashville. Hope it centers a lot more on the music again.

21. sunflower says:

That’s very good news!as long as Layla is gone…

22. Em says:

This has made my day. Everyone I want back is coming back. And this bodes well for Juliette, doesn’t it?

23. Ash says:

So happy about Jonathan and especially Hayden. I’d be okay if they just bring them back to wrap up their storyline and have them leave mid-season with their happily ever after, if it means Hayden gets better. I hate to think that she might’ve prematurely left treatment to fulfill contract obligations for the show and potentially set her back. Having PPD while portraying PPD couldn’t have been easy for her.

24. Cecil says:

Really bad call getting rid of Luke and Layla. I really liked Luke and Layla is one of the most passionate singers on the show. I was really rooting for her to find her way about hitting rock bottom in the finale. I could’ve done with out Maddie Conrad. I was getting a lil sick of the spoiled brat routine. She’s been a pain since season 1. Just send her off to college for god sake lol 😌

25. TVFan says:

About a year ago, CMT was moved to a higher cable package, so we no longer get that channel. I guess the season finale on ABC will remain a series finale for me.

• toadiesmiles says:

you can find anything online and watch for free

• Andrea says:

Wasn’t it also mentioned in a previous article that Lionsgate has a deal with Hulu? You’d have to pay to watch S5, but at least you have that option.

• Leo August says:

Well.. unfortunately, for us here in Canada, haven’t heard if any station is going to pick it up and streaming services such as Hulu aren’t available to us either. sometimes even the network websites geoblock content from being seen in Canada.

26. tahonia2 says:

Do we know what hen the new season starts?

27. John Broadbent says:

Unfortunately, I’m going to see it the day after on Hulu. I’m not paying $80 per month for cable TV just to get CMT. I don’t even like the prospect of paying ten bucks for Hulu, but Nashville is worth that investment.

28. This is great news to finally know who is coming back and to confirm who is not. Looking forward to seeing the shows again as i have spent a lot of time looking at the 4 seasons and listening to the music. There is not one that isn’t as good a singer as those we see on the road, or awards shows. Very pleased……Thank you.

29. Tom from NYC says:

I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am that NASHVILLE was saved by CMT – and for 22-episodes!
    I cannot wait!

30. Nieceepooh says:

All I ‘m going to say is 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌!!!!!!

31. Marquita Ector says:

Thank you CMT. I love this show and all the music more than words can express. I’ve been grieving this loss ever since ABC announced the cancellation. Such a great show!!

32. Evgrenii says:

Неясно здесь

33. Sharon A. says:

So very happy Nashville is coming back! I’m happy with everyone that’s coming back. I know cmt is gonna make this the best series ever!!!!!
    Country music for Life!!!!🙄🙄🙄

34. Beve says:

Soooo happy that CMT picked up this show!!!Was sad when it ended this season!!!

35. Carol Arrington says:

I was so upset when I heard that Nashville was not going to return for season 5 on abc, that I called my cable company and added CMT cable station to my package. I love that show , keep it going . The whole cast is very talented.

36. Vicki Gretzky says:

I am glad that Nashville will continue. When Juliette’s plain went missing, it reminded me of when Patsy Cline’s plane crashed. Juliette needs to be alive. The sisters are very good. Nashville has an excellent cast. I hope the stories continue.

37. Cherry says:

We have the plus cable package on Comcast and get a ton of stations but don’t get this channel. :(

38. Helen williams saddler says:

When is frist air date own cmt i dont want miss nothing please let me know

39. GBR says:

When?????? Fall 2016????
    Any info on when Seasin 5 will air?
    How do we find it when it’s back?

40. Mary Hartin says:

Thank you CMT.I really liked Nashville and the crew so happy for the stars.See you all soon.

41. Colleen Zentz says:

When will Nashville be airing again? Thanks!

42. Diane wright says:

I am very glad Nashville will be back
    Under CMT. Hope to have more music
    Because it is great! Thanks for bringing
    It back to the viewers know there was
    A lot of disappointed people when
    It went off.

43. Pat Murrell says:

I am so HAPPY that CMT picked up the series NASHVILLE. I can’t wait until its return. It is a wonderful drama for all country music fans. Thanks CMT!

44. Dawn. Hendrick says:

Is there a date and time set yet for Nashville’s debut on CMT? So happy that my favorite show was picked up. Thank you.

45. Cd says:

When does Season 5 air. Dies anyone have a date and time. Can’t wait to see it…

46. Barbara says:

When does it start and on what night?

47. Barbara says:

When does it start and on what night7?

48. Stacy says:

In spite of the way the writers turned her character into such a miserable train wreck, I hope we’ll at least see an occasional performance by Layla during the season. I’ll miss that soulful voice!

49. Ashley says:

When is season 5 supposed to air?

50. Jean Stahl says:

Awesome! Looking forward to some more great drama.