Fall TV Preview
Pure Genius Pilot Preview

Fall TV First Impression: Pure Genius

The broadcast networks have nearly 20 shows debuting this fall, including new sitcoms from Kevin James and Matt LeBlanc, the story of MLB’s first female player and Michael Weatherly’s NCIS follow-up. To help you prep for it all, TVLine is offering First Impressions of the not-for-review pilots.

Next up on our list….

THE SHOW | CBS’ Pure Genius (Thursdays at 10/9c, premiering Oct. 27)

THE COMPETITION | ABC’s How to Get Away With Murder and NBC’s The Blacklist

THE CAST |  Dermot Mulroney (Shameless), Augustus Prew (BBC’s The Village), Odette Annable (House), Reshma Shetty (Royal Pains), Brenda Song (Scandal), Ward Horton (One Life to Live) and Aaron Jennings

THE SET-UP | Billionaire tech titan James Bell (Prew) courts an elite but disgraced surgeon (Mulroney) to serve as chief of staff at Bunker Hill, a wayyyy-beyond-state-of-the-art hospital founded to “treat the rarest and most challenging medical mysteries, at no charge.”

RELATED Fall TV Schedule 2016: What’s on When? And Versus What?

THE FIRST IMPRESSION | Upon first seeing this trailer at Upfronts, I tweeted that Pure Genius seemed poised to supplant Limitless as CBS’ “craaazy science show,” merging as it does a rote TV set-up (e.g. law enforcement procedural, medical show) with improbably advanced technology. But once you buy into the translucent iPads, domestic abuse-predicting algorithms and such, series creator Jason Katims (Parenthood, Friday Night Lights) has crafted a uniquely engaging hospital drama.

As Bunker Hill’s resident skeptic, Mulroney offers a nice and needed contrast to Prew’s overly optimistic champion of next-gen medical magic, while Annable’s cool and confident Dr. Zoe Brockett does her best to mold the socially awkward Bell into a better manager of people. (The duo’s Will They/Won’t They dynamic is demarked early on, and often.) Among the rest of the cast/hospital staff, Jennings gets the most to do in the pilot, as an ex-gangbanger spearheading a process to provide remote health monitoring to poor neighborhoods.

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | There may be some bloom off of How to Get Away With Murder‘s rose, but it and The Blacklist (coming off a buzzy season) will force Pure Genius work hard to secure a meaningful audience. Katims-created heart-tuggers have beat the odds before, though.

MORE FIRST IMPRESSIONS Fox’s Lethal Weapon, NBC’s This Is Us, ABC’s Designated Survivor, NBC’s Timeless, CBS’ Bull and ABC’s Notorious

Watch the overly spoilery trailer for CBS’ Pure Genius, dab your eyes dry and then vote in our poll.

1. Kevin K says:

SKIP IT. Pure Genius doesn’t stand a chance going up against HTGAWM and Blacklist in the 10 pm Thursday night time slot.

• Disappointed_In_Shameless_EP says:

That’s right, skip it cause it might get canceled. Who cares if it’s good.

If you don’t have a nielsen box it doesn’t matter what you watch anyway

• Kevin K says:

What are you complaining about? Whether Pure Genius is good or bad it’s CBS for crying out loud the network that has been #1 for more than a decade. Try not to complain.

• Debbie Helmbrect says:

Go CBS! Never know till you tried it! What lured me to look up at my TV commercial on the upcoming ‘Pure Genius’ show was the Music. Who is the singer in the trailer commercials promoting the new TV series? Watching those & hearing her voice is so in-sync! Bravo! The show seems to be a New take of what our medical technology & the human brain are moving towards. I Can’t wait just like HTGAWM & MORE!

• KLS says:

It won’t go head-to-head with those two shows often due to the split football season on CBS and NBC. HTGAWM proved vulnerable last year. The Blacklist has a small but loyal following. This show, if good, may have a shot.

• Kyle Hobson says:

Pure Genis had a great first episode! Way better than Blacklist.

2. Amanda says:

I’ll give anything Katims does a chance!

3. Shaun says:

Thursdays at 10 blow anyways,might watch for Odette since she’s foxy but this seems kin to CSI Cyber,lol.

4. Joey Padron says:

I’ll check out the show since Jason Katims produced it.

5. Hmm says:

Nah. I’m not watching any other medical dramas while Grey’s is still on the air.

6. c-mo says:

I’m in! Jason Katims has a proven track record with talent in front of and behind the cameras. Besides I need something to watch on Thursday since I refuse to watch Shonda-schlock and I never quite bonded with The Blacklist.

7. Jackie says:

I’m looking forward to this one. I like Mulroney, and Katims means good drama. I dropped HTGAWM last season, and Blacklist is a dvr show for me.

8. Max says:

I like my geniuses with a little less smirk. Recast Prew or change the character and I’m in, otherwise I’m out.

9. I’m in. I’ve been losing patience with both HTGAWM and Blacklist, so it’s not like I’ll miss watching either live.

10. Bwhit says:

That was one of the longest trailers for a TV show I’ve ever seen. I’ll give it a go. Plus I want to see Augustus Prew in action because he’s going to be a new character in Prison Break named Whip.

11. Ally Oop says:

On paper this doesnt seem like my type of show but the trailer interested me so Ill at least check this out for a couple episodes.

12. Carol C says:

I hadn’t heard of this show before, but I don’t watch either HTGAWM or BL, and I’m a Dermot Mulroney fan, plus the trailer looked pretty good, so I’m giving it a chance to draw me in.

13. Mimi says:

Anything CBS wants to use to “supplant” Limitless is a pass for me. They never should have cancelled Limitless, those pea-brains.

14. meatwad says:

usually not one for medical dramas but this one interest me enough to check out a few episodes

15. karrie pittsburgh says:

Augustus Prew? As in Major Crimes’ “Wade Weller” Augustus Prew? If we can let go of the excellent creepy factor he portrayed, lol, we’ll check it out! It’s just television folks, there’s something for everyone.

16. Kyle Hobson says:

All the technology shown in this show is possible now or currently in testing. Doctors currently use 3D printers. Digestible monitors are here, currently waiting approval. They can actually use digestible bots to deliver medication directly to a specific target in the body. As well delivery cancer/tumor destroying medication. I’m surprised they did not take that approach.

Nanotechnology is even currently in the works Monitoring medical devices can be integrated into smart phones. And algorithms with AI are being developed by the world top companies. Self-learning computers can develop new synthetic drugs in weeks vs. years for a team of research. Brain to brain communication is a real achievement. And successfully studies are being done all the time to understand your brain. Nothing in that show was “improbably”… In fact, if anything I think the show was way down to earth.

17. Nancy says:

The very first episode immediately takes God out of the equation and promotes abortion! Why the hell would I watch any more of it?!
    Your liberalism is showing you morons!

• Jesse says:

Nancy, God gave you Free Will to change the channel. I will not insult you or judge you for your choice. Just change the channel to another fictional drama of your choosing.

18. Bill Trav says:

This show is a combination of Medical Center and Eureka. I love it.

19. David turpin says:

Pure genius is the feel good show of the season, I hope it’s around for a long time , my wife and I never miss the show, by the end of the the show it just makes you feel good , way to go

20. Linda Stiegman says:

In so addicted to this show!! It’s amazingly wonderful n one of the best new shows out there so far!! I love the suspension as well as how all the technology they have on there, that hopefully, one day will actually become true in the near future!!!!

21. Sheila Beatty says:

Finally a show that has some grit and teeth. If they cancel the show they’re crazy. The cast is great. It brings up real life problems and how they can be treated possibly in the future. CBS has been looking for a medical show for years I think they found it finally. There’s everything in this show you could want

22. VIcki Lenz says:

We love this show. It’s intelligent and well written. It has a wonderful cast, I cannot believe CBS did not order more epidosdes. Heaven forbid we get to keep a show without violence, car chases, stupid humor, and sex. Seriously, if you have a brain and like entertainment, this show is PERFECT. CBS, give some of your audience credit for enjoying a smart drama and renew it.

23. Michele says:

I live in the Midwest and I know we never get counted in on anything, however we had a loud voice in the election so maybe you should pay attention to what we are watching …. Pure genius is innovative and different and it addresses the illnesses that are present today…. I never miss this show, as do none of my friends, we are all educators and bankers and small business owners with no Neilson Box but we all have a brain and we love this show! This is a silent storm that could make you a lot of money and make a lot of average tax paying Americans very happy…. The Midwest loves this show….bring your ratings boxes here!

24. Anita Lingston says:

why are you taking the most amazing show of the air please don’t take my beloved show off the air I think it’s the most amazing TV show that ever seen please rethink it I could not even do something in my kitchen that how great this show is be rethink it I am a very big fan of it I never miss a show at all I would be devasted if it’s not on