Fall TV Preview
Grey's Anatomy Season 13 Martin Henderson

Grey's Anatomy's Martin Henderson on Nathan and Meredith's 'Powerful' Bond

Thus far, Grey’s Anatomy’s secret lovers Nathan and Meredith have shared harsh words, flirtatious banter, numerous operating rooms and one wild night in the sack back seat. But what may bode best for their potential romance in Season 13, Martin Henderson tells TVLine, is their “shared loss… and just the fact that maybe [he can be] someone in her life that she can relate to on that level.

“I think that’s always really powerful between a couple,” he continues. And it “may be fertile ground for them to actually have a relationship with some meaning.”

On the flipside, the actor suggests that there’s also great potential for the doctors to have a relationship that isn’t just deep but fun, too. “Nathan is irreverent and kind of calls Meredith on her s—, and that might be really good for her, because he doesn’t take [things] all that seriously.

“It might be nice for her,” he adds, “to have the opportunity to actually lighten up a bit around some stuff.”

If — or should we say when? — Nathan gets Mer laughing, the question will become, how does their fling go from what Henderson calls “some magnetic, animal” attraction to something more serious. “It’ll be interesting,” he says, “to see whose heart melts first.”

Which of them do you think will fall first, Grey’s fans? Or are you still hoping Nathan and Mer will be paired with other people? Hit the comments!

1. Daphne says:

Also, how will they react when Owen’s sister inevitably returns… Cuz “they never found her body” is usually code for “will eventually make an appearance at some point and change everything!”

• Shar says:

Exactly and Meredith becomes the slutty mistress once again.

• EM says:

And the last thing this show needs is another doctor. Tell the story of the characters of the current ones. If they have to bring her one, I’d like it in the finale of season 13. Change is good, but too much too soon is a very fine line to walk. Season 12 was very good. Let’s explore Jo and Alex and some of the newbies before bringing on a new character. Let’s see Meredith’s growth before karma smacks her down again.

2. Tia says:

Bring. It. ON.

3. Chanel says:

Very excited for season 13 and Meredith & Riggs <3

4. Sara says:

Can’t wait for this! Their scenes in the finale were great, the fun banter, the emotional scene and the look they shared at the wedding. :)
    Meredith deserves some happiness and fun in her life again!

5. Joan says:

I completely agree that their bond is very important. Nobody gets Meredith’s loss, not even the people she’s been closest with. Alex is treating her like a baby who will have a complete breakdown every second, Maggie is the same, Amelia is battling her own issues with Derek’s death. Nathan looks at Meredith and sees more than the widow everyone else is seeing these days and I think that’s very important right now. Cristina used to be able to call Meredith out on her crap and Alex too, but they turned Alex into a puppy when they made him her person. I don’t like that at all. I think Meredith needs to be set straight sometimes and Nathan is giving her that and I think that’s what she needs to fall in love again. Because everyone around her treats her like a sad widow.

• Joan says:

I didn’t mention Alex to compare him to Nathan btw since it’s crystal clear that Meredith and Alex are just friends with a sibling bond who will hopefully never be more, but since he’s been the closest person to her I had to mention him and how he treats her and how annoying that is.

6. EM says:

I think Mer will try to stay away from him because of Maggie but won’t tell him why. He in turn will pursue her more.

7. Max Fraga says:

Wouldn’t be nice if a redhead (Owen’s sister) came at the fall finale and introduces herself as Mrs. Riggs and tells Mer “You would be the woman who is screwing my husband”?

8. I’m very excited to see more of their bond. They can relate and Riggs does have a nice habit of calling her out. I do agree that she needs someone a little lighter in her life. To be honest, everyone around her is super dramatic..at least because of their circumstances they are put in. Like Alex and Jo are gonna have drama, Amelia and Mer aren’t going to be best friends forever anytime soon, Maggie’s stuff will definitely create drama, and she’s not really close enough to anyone else to have things be different. Meredith has always been dark and twisty, but it’s not ALL she is. She needs fun and happy and some cute banter in the middle of everything. I do hope they do a kind of flip and let Meredith be fine while she is who Alex leans on during his stuff with Jo.

9. Quina says:

Watch Owen sister appear once they fall for each other

10. Megan Schlaman says:

I want to see Mer with Alex.

11. Jessika says:

Eu estou torcendo para Mer ser feliz não LIGO se for com Nathan ou com o anterior, ela merece se diverti. Estou amando essa paquera dela. Loucamente apaixonada por Greys Anatomy beijos

12. Kami says:

I think Meredith will fall first, but she wont realize she has fallen!!!

13. Karen says:

I hope they can be together she deserves to be happy after Derek and I feel like Riggs can be her happiness and he isn’t to bad to look at

14. Cheryl says:

I like him a lot, and they are really cute together. Less drama than she had with Derek. Maybe she will have a little more fun next season. Her character definitely deserves it. She lost her mother (dead), father (dead), sister (dead), best friend (moved), and husband (dead). What more can they do that is bad to her other than start killing off her kids? I do love this show, but I will never understand why killing off so many characters is necessary.

• Max Fraga says:

Her father is not dead, he is stuck in a bad show from Shondaland, maybe he hit the bottle after Lexie died and once Scandal is cannned this season he will return in Season 14 to cretae drama

15. Lea says:

I like them alot! The storyline I’m most excited to see play out. They have such a fun banter! How they will go from here. I can see Mer avoiding him at first because of Maggie. Hopefully that drama won’t last long.. I don’t care about more sisters drama but for some happiness for my favorite character. She deserves it so much after everything.
    Bring on season 13.

16. AGmercurio says:

Martin Henderson will never get Derek shoes / McDreamy / Patrick Dempsey. Neither Shonda, nor the director of the episodes should make a “vintage of the mythical scenes of the series” and less ask Martin Henderson which matches Nathan with the character Derek; it’s impossible to ever get close. It is impossible to find a substitute Derek’s character, played by Patrick Dempsey, because both (character and actor) are unique, irreplaceable and inimitable. Besides Martin Henderson Last summer he lent himself a new look, which made him a “failed attempt to plagiarize physicist Patrick Dempsey”.
    Substitute / replace McDreamy is impossible and the sooner they accept it better because that will be able to save the remnants Grey’s Anatomy dying slowly, losing followers in their way. Please!! A kiss in the parking lot (the same scene as the elevator of the first season), with sex in the car (as in episode 5 also the temporada1) do not know whether in this case as in episode 5 appeared Bailey to cut the sexual relationship.
    Shonda Rhimes made it clear in interviews last year that women should be independent and not to be the mirrors of men who do not need in their life to be happy; while Ellen Pompeo as his chief spokesman said ” It’s Amazing How Much You Get Done Without a Penis ”. I do not understand why Shonda wants another couple for Meredith. I when I read the article I thought “Shonda change the sexual orientation of Meredith.”
    If Grey’s scripts are a reflection of Shonda Rhimes ideas, why to look for a relation for Meredith similar to which it had with Derek? Of course the series sell better when there are more or less stable relations between the prominent figures, because of it Shonda introduces pairs in Grey’s Anatomy. Certainly the series has not gone so well because I do not believe that 1.358 m of spectators lose during the season 12 it is be OK.

• Greys says:

The ratings actually went up last season and Grey’s finished as ABC’s top drama.. and 12 seasons in!!
      And who talked about replacing anyone? This is Meredith moving forward in her life. She’s not replacing or forgetting about Derek but living again. Like she should. She’s still young… and has every right to. Plus it’s a tvshow Grey’s was always about the relationships first.
      People move on. Like Akex did. Owen did and Arizona will next season. The characters/actors shouldn’t be stuck cause their co-star left.

17. I want them to get together, it seems that he could be really good for her and help her to move on from her grief of losing Derek! I for one hope it works out for them and they fall head over heels for each other!!

18. Meghan Reed says:

No matter what happens I’m looking forward for season 13. I do hope Mer and Riggs become romantic. Since the loss of Christina and Derek things with Meredith just seem… Like her life is missing important pieces of the puzzle.