Fall TV Preview
Flash Earth-Two Barry Jesse

The Flash Is Doing 'Flashpoint' Story — 'In Our Own Way,' Says Grant Gustin

Lest there be any doubt — and really, was there any? — The CW’s The Flash is taking on the DC Comics’ famous Flashpoint storyline, series star Grant Gustin announced on Monday.

After teasing that he had just read the script for the Season 3 premiere, Gustin got executive producer Greg Berlanti’s blessing to actually reveal the title — “Flashpoint.” “This is not a drill,” Gustin effused.

As noted in TVLine’s What Happens Next? feature, The Flash very clearly set the stage for Flashpoint by sending Barry back in time to save his mother Nora from being killed by Reverse-Flash. But in doing so, he (likely) created an alternate timeline where his future is different in meaningful, yet-to-be-seen ways. (In the comic-book series, for example, Citizen Cold is the hero of Central City, while Barry doesn’t have his powers — and will scramble to get them back in order to make things “right.”)

Along those lines, Gustin later noted, “We’re definitely doing this [Flashpoint] thing our own way…. This will be its own thing.”

In a TVLine poll, 45 percent think that the alternate timeline will be fixed in December’s massive four-way crossover event with Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl, while 22 percent suspect it will be resolved sooner, during November sweeps. Still, 16 percent believe that, somehow, some way, this live-action TV take on Flashpoint could span all of Season 3, even though a powered Barry would seemingly be needed for the aforementioned crossover.

The Flash Season 3 premieres Oct. 4, again airing Tuesdays at 8/7c.

Whatever the case, are you curious to see The Flash’s version of Flashpoint?

1. Lily says:

I can’t believe so few people think this isn’t going to be wrapped up in 1-2 episodes. You guys are in for a surprise. No way are they sticking around in an alt universe longer than that. He’ll fix the timeline, but there will be consequences that last all season, probably.

• rahajicho says:

It’s no coincidence that Flash will be the first show in the Arrowverse to return from summer hiatus.

Flash will fix the timeline in the premiere, so that when Arrow returns the following day everything will be “normal.”

• "A" says:

or “Arrow”, “Supergirl”, and “Legends of Tomorrow” will all be involved and the first 8 episodes from Oct 4th through November 25/30 ( November Sweeps ) will focus around the Flashpoint arc on all four DC shows.

• JC1 says:

I just can’t see that happening. I have a hard time believing that the other three shows are going to waste seven episodes of their season on a storyline for a different show, even if it is in the same universe.

• "A" says:

It wouldn’t be a waste of time i would be a great eight episode arc/journey for the characters we love to go on as well as would allow the actors to do something different not to mention give fan favorites the chance to return for a short while. It would also be a awesome set up for the four way crossover at the end of November Sweeps.

Barry could kick things off on “The Flash” then meet up with Oliver on “Arrow:” then get messages to Kara on “Supergirl”, and the Legends on “Legends of Tomorrow” and BAM ever hero is up to speed in the first episode of their show.

Robert and/or Moira as well as Tommy would be alive

Citzen Cold would be protecting Star & Central City

Kara could find herself living in Metropolis and working at The Dail Planet along side Lois Lane or even reporter/TV personality Cat Grant

Barry would have a older/younger sibling and they would live with their mother

Kal-El would have just arrived in his pod as either a teenager/young adult somehow

• JC1 says:

And people that don’t watch all four shows would be totally lost. And it would be a waste because it would be seven episodes that would eventually end up being reset at the crossover and would have nothing to do with the overall season arc. People complained nonstop about the time spent setting up Legends last season – what do you think they would do about carving out seven whole episodes from each show devoted to Flashpoint? The die-hard comics fans might love it, but otherwise I don’t think many people would be very happy about losing a third of their season to Flashpoint.

• Hall of Justice says:

@”A” Comic Purist Dream.

• cmmorgan32 says:

@rahajicho: Flash is first to air for a reason. It lays the groundwork for what to expect for the duration of the Flashpoint arc (which will be longer then a single episode).

2. Luis says:

A season long commitment would be inconceivable; I can’t imagine they would commit to the story line for than long. Likewise, I can’t see them hanging on to the story line for until the four-way crossover in December – the other shows have to advance their stories too much to get wrapped up in resolving Barry’s issues. Ideally, I would love to see them carry the story out over three to four episodes, which would be enough time to establish alternate histories for Barry and the others before coming to a resolution. I can’t say I have that much confidence in them to do even that, so I expect it to be resolved in a two part season opener.

3. Playhouse says:

Flashpoint is a bit anti-climactic after we spent as much time with Earth-2 and alternate versions of characters as we did in Season 2.

• ndixit says:

I think it’s pretty different because this is our earth’s characters who are different. Not just alternate earth doppelgangers. I hope they are creative with this.

• opheliablack says:

I agree with you. It may not be exactly the same, but this premise we’ve already seen.

4. Julian says:

They will resolve it before the four-way crossover and the consequences will be face during the crossover, after that everything will be normal.

5. ndixit says:

People are deluding themselves if they think Flashpoint will last till December. They are going to want to get back to the main timeline storylines and villains again and deal with characters and relationships we have invested in.

6. wgsecretary says:

My only experience with these comic book heroes is with the TV shows. I’ve never read one of the comics. But, even not knowing the source material, I think the storyline will have to be wrapped up soon. Since Flash, Arrow, LoT, and now Supergirl all take place in the same universe, they have to wrap it up soon. Otherwise, Barry’s actions will have affected all four shows. Maybe not Supergirl so much since it was established that she’s on a different Earth. But, I wonder if that will change somewhat since Supergirl is now on The CW, too. It may affect LoT less since they time travel. But, certainly, there would be big consequences for the storyline on Arrow if Barry as the Flash never existed. I admit that I did not faithfully watch Arrow until The Flash started and I wanted to be caught up on both for crossover purposes. But, I know Barry saved them. So, it seems that Barry’s action of saving his mother and then creating a new timeline has to be wrapped up pretty quickly.

7. JC1 says:

I think it will be fixed, for the most part, in the first episode or two. Otherwise it will be really hard to explain why Arrow and Legends are continuing business as usual. And I can’t imagine them turning everything upside down on Arrow for seven episodes until the crossover – the people who don’t watch Flash would be too confused. There may be some small changes that stick and ripple through to the other shows, but otherwise I will be very surprised if it isn’t mostly fixed by the end of the season premiere.

8. Michael says:

Is Flash losing his powers going to be like George Jetson getting fired?… Often….

9. Mark D. Moss says:

The Flash’s visit to Supergirl last season clearly stated that these two chars existed in separate parallel universes. My bet is that one of the “lasting effects” of resolving all this will be the collapsing/combining of the “worlds” now that Supergirl has moved to the CW.

Even if there’s some other conceit at work to combine things, it’s unlikely that this “alt reality” can last more than a few episodes without affecting the other 3 shows in ways that would be a huge turn off to your standard TV viewer. Comic book fans might enjoy big crossover events that change everything … but that tends to be something of a turn off to those outside of fandom.

10. John says:

Who cares? This show is a mess.

11. ktc1986 says:

It will be finished in one episode but at the end we’ll get a Pandora-like character who uses the change in time to combine the worlds so that Supergirl and The Flash exist on the same planet. The crossover would then deal with why they were brought together and what threat they must face. Well that’s how i would do it personally.

12. Demi says:

I don’t see this lasting more than 1 or 2 episodes and I really hope it doesn’t because as someone that don’t watch Supergirl and reluctantly watches LoT, I can’t imagine keeping up with all show for 7 episodes each for it to then be reset back. This is a recipe for disaster tbh, let everyone stay in their lane and do the occasional crossover.

13. clintbrew says:

isnt the flash saving his mother correcting the timeline cus the reverse flash went back in time to kill nora unless nora was supposed to die years later on but reverse flash made it happen sooner these timelines are so confusing

14. herman1959 says:

I agree that it’ll probably be resolved over 1 – 2 episodes; holding the storylines for all 4 shows hostage for much longer than that doesn’t make sense to me. Plus, I’m ready for Barry to get it together and go on with the rest of his life. I still stay say, get Constantine to help!

15. 134sc says:

As long as TPTB remember this series in technically an alternate timeline already and the “Flash” we see save little Barry is from the original timeline (meaning Barry still becomes the Flash, but 10 years later) then I am all for this. If they conveniently forget, I will be very disappointed.

16. Pat says:

Holy cow, I am completely lost since I have never read the comics, so I have no clue about Flashpoint. I just hope that it does only last for the first two episodes, because I do not want to see Arrow, Legends and Supergirl thrown into a drawn out crazy fiasco because of this Flashpoint.

17. Ms Thang says:

“Flashpoint” makes the point that “The Flash” is the center of the Berlanti-verse.

18. If it is the world-altering Flashpoint, it has to be wrapped up before the other shows air. Not every viewer watches every show and to waste long stretches of episodes for a Flash storyline on Arrow and LOT is such a disservice to fans and characters. If they want it to be a significant storyline, then it has to be Flash-contained, but given how Barry started on Arrow, I just don’t see how that is possible. I vote 1-2 episodes tops.

19. steve says:

stated doing it there own way. where he lost powers last year maybe won’t take his powers but instead change things in his personal life. maybe now caitlin is killer frost, maybe he never met iris and fell in love is so much could change without taking barry’s powers.

20. Sarah says:

I don’t understand the distinction people are making between “resolution/fixing things” and “dealing with the consequences/lasting effects.” Surely if you are still dealing with consequences or lasting effects, the matter isn’t fully “fixed” or “resolved.” If Barry manages to restore events as they were in the original timeline, but he still has to deal with “lasting effects,” then the storyline still hasn’t been resolved – therefore, the storyline could easily be dragged along all fall and concluded with the crossover.

21. cmmorgan32 says:

Some of you really need to do some research on Rex Tyler. If you did, then you would know that it’s possible for Flashpoint to be self-contained for The Flash(if the writers chose to go that route). Supergirl (arguably) wouldn’t be impacted due to it being set on another Earth. Legends can certainly continue in the current timeline because of Rex. It all depends on what the vision is for this particular adaptation. My guess is will be seeing a version of Flashpoint that has elements of the “crisis” storyline thrown in in order to get Supergirl involved in the crossover. Either way, Flashpoint (in whatever form) is certainly around for a multi-episode arc.

22. Gail says:

As I mentioned in a previous thread there are ways for Arrow and Legends to have their seasons during Flashpoint and not have it be meaningless after Flashpoint is resolved. Legends will most likely be aware of the change but be delayed by whatever they have planned for the season. Citizen Cold could take Barry’s place in the timeline as far as interaction with Oliver and Company so that Arrow will be relatively unaffected by the change.
    Everyone seems to assume Barry will not have his powers as that is what happened in the comics. It may not happen as Grant said this is its own thing and apparently not following what happened in the comics. I am guessing no one except Iris and Joe will have met Barry. I like the idea of Barry still having his powers but because Zoom everyone thinks The Flash is a villain. If Barry lost his powers he wouldn’t be able to get back to the present and would be stuck in the past like the Reverse Flash was. Assuming Reverse Flash is still in the past, would he and Barry work together to get back to the present? So many ways they could go with this.

23. Gail says:

The Barry who saved his Mom could also disappear and Barry could grow up with two parents and be unaware that anything has changed. Cisco, who can remember alternate timelines, seeks out Barry, who doesn’t know him, and says Dude you really screwed up.

24. Misti says:

I’m not really sure how long they’ll take to resolve it (I agree with others that it’ll be difficult to string it out beyond an episode or two without involving all of the shows)… my big concern, though, is that I don’t really want another long arc of Barry without/trying to reaquire his powers. We just did that. Find something new. :p

25. Jason Bielski says:

Will this version of Flashpoint unite all the shows in the Berlanti-verse? Will it bring Supergirl in?

26. MattySi. says:

So my question is: How is this new timeline going to effect everything on Arrow and Legends considering they are all in the same universe?

27. dine says:

Can’t wait for season 3 Flashpoint got my mom and daughter into watching it with me, downloaded the CW app to keep up with the shows! We Love it! 3 generations sitting down together watching The Flash which to be honest didn’t think I would like it so much, now I am hooked. Love It!

28. Cyn Shands says:

YES!! Excited to see how it evolves.

29. Ajith Kumar says:

Yes I am during to see flashpoint

30. dc rebirth says:

I think flashpoint should be used to correct the mistakes of season 2 and introducing more real flash villians without using the excuse of multiverse and also I would love to finally see reverse flash called professor zoom and see the return of king shark and he should do some damage and I mean not in an one episode issue and please tell them to go back to source materials flash has one of the most lovely comics and also I would love to see captain cold and heatwave return even though there performance is great on lot quite the acting and the action we all know they ought to be in flash and group to become the rogues flash major villians which for some reasons we never see them fulfill that and also please is star labs going to be unfunctional for his whole superhero career now back to the source material issue which is one of the major DC film creators have great problem with in comics star labs is one of the world greatest laboratories in the world and they lots of branches around the world and they help to improve science wat am saying is that using an empty star labs for hero base is overdue and one major problem of CW’s flash is that he is too dependent yes he is even though is sweet always hearing Cisco and wells argue about science and see Joe go equilizer or James bond we know CW’s version is over dependent on supporting cast.pls dear flash fans do not think I am criticizing flash I am truly a fan but am trying to say that not all fans are really interested in the continuous mystery of an unknown villians or having seen the multiverse which I believe was to too early and unnecessary to be introduced into the show at such early time but I want you to look at the story thank you
    y