Penny Dreadful: Here's How Season 4 Could've Unfolded Without Eva Green

Although neither Penny Dreadful creator John Logan nor Showtime could imagine the heartrending drama continuing without leading lady Eva Green and her haunted alter ego Vanessa Ives, your friends at TVLine — and many of the series’ fans — could, can and do. We even know how we’d do it.

First, we’d bring Mr. Lyle back from Cairo with plans to stage a lavish exhibition of artifacts related to Amunet, the goddess who once possessed Miss Ives (thus setting the stage for Green to guest-star, should she so desire, as the deity’s embodiment!). But, of course, the Egyptologist wouldn’t merely return with hieroglyphics and sarcophagi, he’d return with a cursed mummy in tow!

Upon realizing the grievousness of his mistake, Mr. Lyle naturally would call upon his old friends Sir Malcolm and Ethan, who by then would be vying for the affections of Catriona. (You saw for yourself — they both immediately set off sparks with Ferdinand’s gal pal!) On the sidelines, Dr. Seward would just shake her head and laugh, knowing full well that a rascal like Sir Malcolm needs a woman as formidable as herself to keep him in line. If only the fellows had an inkling that the reason Catriona was plagued by nightmares was that Dracula planned to turn her as payback for Vanessa’s demise!

Penny Dreadful Season 4Meanwhile, unbeknownst to Victor, Lily would reacquaint herself with her onetime captor Henry — sorry, Lord Hyde — in hopes of using his new position in society to accomplish at least some of the goals of her thwarted revolution. Just as she began to have real feelings for her lover of convenience, she’d discover that his out-of-control rage had turned him into the monster who was laying waste to the streetwalkers she was so eager to protect, and turn to, of all people, Victor to intervene (lest she be forced to kill Henry).

Along the way, perhaps we could address the fact that Victor murdered, then reanimated Ethan’s girlfriend Brona — and slept with her — and never mentioned it to his buddy, the werewolf. Maybe Mr. Lyle could commiserate with the Creature about their status as perennial outcasts — or Ethan could make Mr. Lyle feel less alone by revealing that, once upon a time, he enjoyed a tryst with Dorian Gray. The possibilities are endless, really!

What do you think? Would you want a fourth season of Penny Dreadful even if Green wouldn’t be playing Vanessa? What monster(s) would you introduce? Hit the comments!

1. Hurley says:

If the season 3 finale truly was the last episode of Penny Dreadful ever, then what a dreadful ending..

• Jim says:

It felt like an end to me. We know the story of each of these people continues on afterward (except Vanessa). We know Ethan’s going to get Dracula eventually. We know Victor is the kind of weak person who would never tell Ethan about Lily. Hyde showing up peripherally lends the show an historical sense of place (even though he’s fictional), like when Don Draper meets Conrad Hilton. It reminds you this world is bigger than these characters and their activities are just one part of the age. This was one story of many stories. Those stories could be told, but they weren’t this story. And to me, it feels right and okay to end it here.

• Tina says:

Please petition to and share on social media to keep going with season 4, 5, 6, etc.. I am a big fan of this show.

• Jay says:

Lol it said ‘THE END’ at the end of season 3, It would just be dumb to carry on and just milk it, it would never be the same….. THE END!!!!

• Brit says:

I agree this is a horrible ending because I was already constructing a path for the rest of the characters in my head. I don’t believe the Ives was the only main attraction within the show. There could have been multiple scenes and scenarios for all of those character. This is just very disappointing.

• Melissa says:

I’m canceling Showtime because they cancelled Penny a Dreadful. I felt cheated on how it ended. Why introduce new characters for just 2-3 episodes? Disappointing. Goodbye, Showtime

• Gail brirtibgham says:

Me too!

• Elaine Paterson says:

I second that comment!!..

• Tina says:

If we get enough fans to request penny dreadful to have more seasons beyond season 4 because I am going to miss this show!

• Nari says:

I agree. I was excited about a fourth season from the way the third season ended. I’m devastated! I just knew the “next”season would be EPIC! You mean to tell me… they just ran out of ideas?? Nowadays,I hate getting invested in shows and characters to have them yanked away, distastefully too soon. It’s a shame the Penny Dreadful adventure is over.

• Veronica says:

Soooo missed! I really wanted this show to have more seasons. I hope John Logan reconsiders…please bring Penny Dreadful and Josh H., and the cast members back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Ade says:

I just really wanted Ethan and Vanessa to find each other and continue fighting evil…

• Jim says:

Better idea: Rory Kinnear reads us Wordsworth for an hour every week.

• Jim says:

Vanessa’s funeral scene was devastating. The visuals, the acting, the poem, the score. I haven’t been able to shake it all day.

• I wished for that too. I really don’t think the series could ever match what it has been without Vanessa (Eva Green is fantastic) Hoping for an oscar for you you Eva for your fantastic portrayal of Vanessa. You are the best.

• Eileen Paterson says:

Eva green bravo!!!!
        You brightened our week!..
        You are by far the best actress
        I have ever seen!..
        I too hope you are recognised
        By your peers!

• Tina says:

Absolutely!

• Maria Altamirano says:

So many beautiful characters in the show I really don’t think that you should have ended it and there is a chance for a season 4 with al many characters that are there you can start it from there

• Tina says:

Eva Green and Josh H., are truly the stars of this show. I hope Logan reconsiders doing a continuation spin-off on this series. After all, it has been done…look at the marvel comics franchise and bat man, super man, etc.

3. Cory says:

I have lost all respect for John Logan. The man is clearly a liar, the show was not even close to a wrap-up. They left dozens of threads unresolved and barely touched on the mythology they had started to build. It’s glaringly obvious Showtime canceled and not ended the show. I assume for job security Logan agreed to wrap it up in a very small way, slap “the end” on it and lie to protect the networks reputation. I just find it insulting he thinks anyone would believe such an obvious lie. Just admit ratings and buzz wasn’t enough and that Showtime was unwilling to continue. And the show was never just Vanessa’s story, it was an ensemble and so easily could continue without her.

They launched a Penny Dreadful comic earlier this year and I can only pray that they are at least decent enough to continue and finish the story in that format.

• Sylvia says:

I’m not going to say, “liar,” but I agree this show did not have a ‘planned death.’ If so, WHY even bring Dr. Hyde (and I believe JL’s first choice was Island of Dr. Moreau) into that already full cast? I’m sure all these people have to play nice, in their business, so just tell the truth. I won’t be keeping Showtime, regardless.

• John says:

I agree, it did leave one hanging, And what was it, with Dracula just flying off? It was like he just up and ran off. Last night was a pitiful 2 hour final episode. Maybe, the networks will reconsider, a 4th series. Would like to see more of Doctor Hyde. There is alot more that can be worked with, with a 4th series.

• steven hawkins says:

How could you Showtime!!!!

• I agree wholeheartedly.

• Sandra says:

I’m also canceling my Showtime sub because of NO MORE PENNY DREADFUL

• Christine says:

It actually wasn’t Showtime it was John Logan himself. They wanted to continue but he convinced them to end it.He’s going to devote more time to his other project, also on Showtime, called “Just Kids”.

4. Amanda says:

I agree with so much of this. I felt like they were lying the groundwork for a lot of this to actually happen in a fourth season with The Mummy and Cat and Dr. Seward being future love interests for Ethan and Sir Malcolm respectively. I also wanted more of Jekyll as Lord Hyde and didn’t think about Lily being involved but that would be great. Would’ve loved Victor to get a love interest and maybe be named Elizabeth Griffin, the first name for his actual bride in the novel and the last name as a nod to “The Invisible Man” book and films. I also hoped Ethan would’ve finally seen that Brona became Lily and knew what Victor did and why he didn’t try with Vanessa. And I wanted to know what happened to John, and still sad we never got to see Dorian Gray’s origin story and how the painting came to be.

5. Heather says:

I’m sorry but that ending was soooo slapped together and thrown at you as if they didn’t care for any us true dredful fans at all. So many loose ebds! My ocd is killing me right now lol. I mean…..what happened w dracula….he just left without revenge on anyone? And how did Victor never get caught bringing wolfeys girl friend/hooker back to life? We never really found out what the other guy even was other then he was immortal n liked to keep paintings and film himself screwing ppl. I’m so mad right now. I read a few days ago plans for season 4 and then watching that -“the end”- sticker at the end of the show made me look it up n ….boom….it’s really the end. No season 4!! Wtf showtime?!?! I’m sorry but penny dredful was the last show keeping me subscribed to that channel. I Litt wanna hit someone. i had three shows I watch religiously- the walking dead, game of thrones and penny dredful…..UGHHH!

• JJJJ FFF says:

That “other guy” was the eponymous character from the Victorian novel Dorian Gray, so the origin story is known; you can read about it on Wikipedia if you want.

• kay says:

I so feel your pain !!!!!!!!!! I am beyond disappointed !! I never watch t.v ..once in a blue but this show had me fixated ..I only suscribed to showtime for this only as well and I feel robbed !!! It was like a good book you never want to end !! I’m really upset !!

• Denise says:

I also subscribed to Showtime for Penny Dreadful. I was quite shocked at the way it ended, and was not sure if it was really the final final episode. I was hoping for the mummy to be introduced next season and to see how the writers could some how bring Vanessa back. There are so many possible ways to continue on with the other actors, it is really disappointing to see such a great show end. Showtime should really reconsider this decision to end this series. So many disappointed viewers. The writing and acting was superb!

• Kathy aka Bunny says:

If no Penny Dreadful, No Showtime. There are plenty of stories to tell. I think Dr. Jekyll is so cute.

6. Matchbox says:

Fans of a show can always think of ways to keep it going but there’s something to be said for ending a show before the quality starts to diminish. It’s hard to imagine Penny Dreadful going on without Vanessa and John Log has stated in interviews that he felt her story had to end now. He had only ever plotted out three seasons from the start and knew midway through season two that season three would be the last. Whether fans felt like the series ended well or not is one thing but there’s no reason at all to believe that Showtime pulled the rug out from under Logan with an unexpected cancellation.

• Sylvia says:

The thing is, many of us aren’t buying the latest ‘hoopla’ they’re throwing out there. They have to say whatever, to be nice. This was such a rushed ending. Pitiful. If you go back and read some of JL’s interviews, you’ll realize this was not a carefully planned finale.

• Alichat says:

I think it’s hard for some to believe that there wasn’t intervention or push by Showtime to end it once you know that Logan had only ever plotted three seasons and knew how he would wrap it up by mid-season 2. If that’s the case, he didn’t do a very good job of it. It’s easier to think that the network pulled the rug than to believe that someone who took such care to create such complex and interesting characters didn’t take the time to step back and ask “is this path making sense?”.

7. Simon Jester says:

Well, the above fan-fic is the perfect example of why it was right to end it on John Logan’s terms. I enjoyed it, but I don’t think it’s the kind of show that could (or should) continue without an endgame.

8. Erica Cunningham says:

I don’t agree with the discontinue of this amazing series! I agree that there could’ve been a way to keep it going without the wonderful miss ives. It would’ve been heartbreaking but cancelling it all together is even more heartbreaking. The creators need to wake up and keep it going!

9. Jess says:

Reminded me of the pre mature third season ending of Deadwood.

10. Tony says:

Not a bad fourth season idea, so sad to see Eva Green’s alter ego. Miss Ives and the show to end. Loved her character and wished Showtime e reconsider.

11. nycstephen says:

Sounds like an EXCELLENT outline for Season #4!

12. dkleener says:

I’m reminded of the situation with the last season of Boardwalk Empire. They did a seven year time jump just to get to the end of the storylines. I wish that Penny Dreadful would of gone for another season or two to wrap up the overall arc of storylines. Three seasons seems too short for this show. I guess that’s show business.

13. Maxine says:

I just sent a message to showtime because that is how upset I am about this. Just the over all concept was amazing. Like many here I will never watch showtime again. I am so serious about this. There was another great show on showtime and they also “canceled” it abruptly as they did with Penny Dreadful. I am beyond upset. This is like a dark version of Once Upon a Time. It brought an amazing twist to these beautiful dark classics. I can’t even describe how upset I am. Even if Game of Thrones was moved to showtime, I would never use them again. Shameful!

• kay says:

I know .. that is truly a testament to how awesome this show was !! Showtime cancelling really makes you want to revilt !!Its not fair for them to capture people’s attention in such a artful classic way and then just pull the rug out from under faithful viewers!! BRING BACK PENNY DREADFUL!!!!!!!!

14. A. D. says:

I wanted more Catriona…a spin-off with her would rock!

15. Barbara Perrotto says:

To say I am shocked. Well, I thought I had read that season 4 was in production as season 3 started. So much more that could have been told. So many more story lines. I for 1 will miss this show. Sorta left me hanging.

16. Compeer says:

Well, some of this i liked, but i think i would’ve had lily look up the creature for help with hyde; and i would’ve really liked rusk to be a part of things. I wonder if exploring cataronia’s backstory would’ve been too complicated.

17. Maria says:

I cannot image Penny Dreadful with Vanessa. Please find a creative way to have her come back. She is the essence of the show and I feel like it loses something special without her.

18. Kristi says:

I LOOOOVE THIS SHOW!! Pleeease bring it back. Also, I love Dorian’s character and think he needs to have a deeper, creepier story line. Josh Hartnet is SUCH an AWESOME actor. But, I felt like this season lost some of its dark suspense that it had the first 2 seasons. I truly appreciate the classic horror characters but I find darker evil (ghost, goblins, real demons/devil or aliens) themes to be more exciting. Please don’t give up on this show!!! Thanks, your forever Horror fan👹

19. Evelyn McCauley says:

I am so heartbroken. Blade of Grass and the Creature finally finding his son made me cry. Please bring the show back There are so many more stories to tell !!

20. I thought the ending was quite good. It really tied up all the loose ends nicely and all the characters story arc was completed

21. Cornelius says:

I can understand Logan’s reasoning behind him saying the show has come full circle with Vanessa Ives’ story but to plant seeds about the other characters in the final episode and just leave us hanging is a big screw you towards the fans. So much more could have been done within the Penny Dreadful universe, it was not all just about Vanessa.

22. Yes, let’s go for it. The possibilities are endless. Eva Green could guest star in the series, perhaps be re-encarnated as an Egyptian queen etc. in some way. Lots of folks out here in TV land have enjoyed the series and hate to see it go completely.

• Steve says:

The thing that sucks is showtime did ask logan,to do a season 4 numerous times,showtime wanted another season but logan wanted to end it at 3.it didn’t get canceled like many people think,it could have went on but the creator wants to only do 3.maybe by the grace of God enough fans will complain ect…and they will consider another season,never say never.best show on television by far

23. Milka vargas says:

I love the show so disappointed that is not coming back 😩 Please bring her back

24. A special 10 episode commission by Netflix will be ideal.

25. Carlene says:

Yes..the acting.and story lines are phenomenal on the show

26. JAN says:

I want more don’t care who’s in it I absolutely love the damned show showtime makes me sick wow

• Tina says:

BRING BACK PENNY DREADFUL!!!!! SHOWTIME HOW COULD YOU!!!! I WANT TO THROW A FLIPPIN TANTRUM ABOUT THIS !! I HONESTLY CAN’T IMAGINE GETTING INTO A SERIES THAT COMES CLOSE TO THIS EVER AGAIN!!! I’M AM SO PISSED !

27. M&M says:

Of course I want season 4th, there are so many stories to continue to unfold. Doctor Hyde, Dorian Grey. All of them have great stories. Pls keep it going!

28. Bradley says:

Showtime, it’s a big slap in the face, with what you did with Penny Dreadful and for that I just cancelled my showtime subscription. You now have no descent shows, SO I CALL TO ALL PENNY DREADFUL FANS AND BOYCOTT, CANCELL, AND SHUT OFF AND SHUTDOWN SHOWTIME. Let showtime see the consequences of their actions, and there stupidity. BOYCOTT SHOWTIME LET THERE RATINGS GO TO CRAP. SHUT THEM DOWN

• Doug Henning says:

Showtime and other Premiums don’t care about ratings per se… it’s a question of subscriptions. The ratings numbers don’t mean much when a high % of users watch On Demand, during the week or via Apps. They probably get a better indication of interest from those methods since they can be truly counted and not estimated from ratings boxes.

29. I can think of a better, more complete way to end the series and I haven’t even seen the finale yet! How about Vanessa’s death allows the gates of Heaven to open and God’s angels to descend and remove the final hold the night creatures had on Vanessa’s soul thereby expunging the world of all its darkness. A blinding light knocks Ethan out. Then we see, the Creature and Lily are returned to their mortal selves, Dorian’s picture returns to its youthful state and he is mortal once more and good Ol’ Dracula also becomes human, to his delight only for Sir Malcolm to kill him!
    Ethan wakes up and realises the wolf is gone and he rushes over to Vanessa only for her to open her eyes. Later, Sir Malcolm explains that as long as Vanessa lives, the creatures of the night can never take hold but she needed to die so her Lord could do his thing. They all live happily ever after!
    The end.

30. Helen says:

Please bring the show back for another season!!! We love this show! The season finally was so sad!

31. Patricia Christensen says:

First off, PLEASE do not do away with a Season 4. I am a PDaholic!
    Now to Eva Green:
    NO NO NO NO!!!!
    I absolutely adore watching Eva Green as Vanessa Ives. I should miss Eva Green’s magnificent multifaceted acting. She is the center of Penny Dreadful. With the PD writing skill I have faith that you can easily write Ms Green back into Penny Dreadful.
    Maybe she can become a slayer of evil & healed of her demons by her faith in life.
    She comes back with Mena whom she, Eathan, & Sir Malcolm assist her from the living side.
    Ok, there’s the season 4 premise.
    Now go get um!
    Write, Write, Write!
    COME ON…..PPLLLEEASE have a season 4

32. pedro serna says:

Please do say it’s the end! I need more of this show please don’t let it end.

33. Zelda Davis says:

Dr Hyde. MR Jekyell…more of Dorian Gray…

34. Zelda Davis says:

Dr Hyde. MR Jekyell…more of Dorian Gray…or Come our with a New series with Dorian Gray.or with Jekyell and Hyde..Do something.this was one if my favorite shows.TV do that fans get all.into the shows and (bram) gone off.I HATE THAT..

35. Victoria says:

Where is Van Helsing?
    Bring more monsters!

36. srichey321 says:

Interesting characters and sub-plots… all wasted and thrown out with the bathwater. The real truth is that Eva Green (and some other actors) wanted to move on. There is enough material to create several spin-offs.

37. Malissa R. says:

Awww….come on. I loved this show! Jeez!

38. Eliza says:

Lots of intriguing characters in this show that still have many stories to tell. Please do!

39. Angela says:

This series could definitely keep going with wonderful storylines sans Ives. I’m really quite disappointed that the creator of the show felt he needed to end it so abruptly. Heck, I could even see a whole new set of characters coming on with a new storyline. Current century with the immortals or even excavating Ives and placing in the hands of Frankenstien to reanimate her..it’s possibilities are endless. Boo Showtime, you really let us down on this one!

40. red1960 says:

I would like for it to go on, tho it won’t be the same without Vanessa, so much more could be done…..so much darkness to fight, much more love to fee
    R.I.P
    Vanessa

41. Jon says:

Love it, I would watch!

42. Rich says:

I don’t know about you guys but i felt the years of planning and ground laying was finally over and the main story was about to begin now… If they kept Vanessa alive and Ethan saved her this show could have gone far… this show had more foundation and possibilities than Got.

43. Lois Fleming says:

Plenty of material for another season. Very sad if yet another great series ended too soon.

44. Shannon says:

SO MUCH could be done in Season 4! I was thinking of Mr. Lyle bringing back a cursed mummy! They could bring in so many things, given the era. They could bring in Sherlock holmes and Moriarty, they could bring in the invisible man, Jules Verne Story lines. Hell, they could even have an adventure in Cairo, where Mr. Lyle requests help from them all because of a cursed mummy. This could have gone on for a long time, and it doesn’t need Vanessa to do it. Shame on showtime for not seeing the potential here and not acknowledging the fan base.

45. haroon says:

a deliberate, rushed, unplanned whatever you call it, in a way dreadful ending, the issue here only was rating and it was blamed on venessa’s death. that’s all …. so much characters introduced for what just to say bye.. what about that wolf of god vs dracula no definite plot to that.. and wheres lucifer which was so to blamed in previous seasons is totally out of the scenario know.. if you have to kill her what was the point of everyone’s saving her…….?why let her suffer first.. just ratings and viewership…. could have easily two more seasons at least one…

46. Adam says:

Absolutely wanted more. Even without Vanessa’s, her show could go on. This article gave a great plot path to travel.

47. kay says:

Yes I absolutely would still watch the show !! Every character is just as valuable and the story line has endless possibilities with out her . But she could still be factored in somehow ..

48. Jon says:

Creator should be shot ! Give the show to someone who has a brain. Showtime cancelled . Never again

49. Connie says:

Very disappointed to hear of the ending. So enjoyed this show and I agree. So much potential with the remaining crew. Hate that Vanessa had to die but I’m sure they could find a way to weave her back in the script. If TV can bring back shows like Nashville I’d think they could bring back Penny Dreadful. Please.

50. Gayle says:

I would totally watch the show if it came back. I added Showtime just for Penny Dreadful! I like Eva Green but there are other actors in this series.

• Barbara Groom says:

This was not an “ending” to Pen Dread. It was an abandonment. Logan/Showtime dropped the series like a hot potato.
      Season 3 and the “end” of Pen Dread made me angry because they were SO sloppily done. If it was planned all along (& I don’t believe it was), then why intro new people & situations? Shabby work.
      I miss Pen Dread so much that I took up writing a continuation of my own…there was so much potential & viable material still left! It was low-hanging fruit, and Logan/Showtime let it rot. What a waste.

• Tina says:

I totally agree…wish Eva green and whole cast including Josh will come back…there is so much more potential and the story lines are endless….